View Poll Results: Whats the most significant problem the TSX has right now?
Rust
6.45%
Rattles
79.03%
Transmission Problems
3.23%
Electrical Problems
4.84%
Other
6.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Whats the biggest issue facing the TSX right now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 05:09 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TSriX
FDL,

I believe I have understood your post but it seems no one wants to discuss what should be done about the most common problems. They just wan't to report it. I have stated that our biggest concern should be rust because of what it will do to our future resale values on the cars.

What do you believe the biggest problem facing the TSX is?

Let's discuss.

I believe the biggest problem is rust as well. CrazyTree posted in another thread that he was told there was a problem with salt water getting onto the cars during the transport. This may explain why some cars have the surface rust. If this is true its actually good news, because it probably means that if you dont see the rust now, its probably not going to show up (prematurely anyways). If this salt water story is not the problem, and the TSX is actually prone to premature rusting...I think this is VERY bad news.

I think electrical problems is second on my list, as that will affect resale as well. Rattles would be last on my list, as they are minor issues and usually fixable.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:53 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Untill I see some info from owners from southern areas I must believe that the problem is more apparent because of our northern climate. I feel that in time the rusting may begin to appear in everyones car. I'm sceptical about that saltwater report. What is the source for that info? Do we know which VIN #s are affected?

One thing I did notice, I have rusting on my hood from where I have paint chips. I have a silver VW and had a silver Subaru that drove the exact same roads. Both cars had paint chips but the chips never rusted. It seems that the paint coating on our cars may be thinner than other makes. I have owned Hondas previously and never noticed excessive paint damage. I may seek out an aftermarket clear coating if such a thing exists to protect the paint more.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:16 AM
Banned

I think the point of this all is that Acura really cut some corners in building and designing the TSX... and it really shows.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:02 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Your paint chips rusting shouldnt have anything to do with the paint being thin. I thought the TSX have galvanized body panels? They should not rust like this, period.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Advanced

A galvanized surface is coated with zinc to protect against corrosion. The chips must have gone through this coating. Either the paint is thin or it was one helluva pebble.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:23 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by TSriX
A galvanized surface is coated with zinc to protect against corrosion. The chips must have gone through this coating. Either the paint is thin or it was one helluva pebble.
This is my first Acura. If there is a rust problem, it will be my last.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:58 PM
bleh...

The only issues I had with the car was the rattling, bad power drivers seat, and knocking steering wheel. Other than that, my TSX is relatively problem free.

I don't know what new problem will come up, but lets just hope nothing.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Here is an e-mail I just sent to Honda Canada:

I have rust in the spot welds of the trunk channel.

I have rust marks from two stone chips on the front hood.

I showed the rust marks in the trunk channel to my dealer, I believe they applied something to protect against rust.

I did not mention the rust marks on the hood to the dealer because I can understand them telling me they can't be responsible for damage from road debris. However, it occurs to me that my previous two cars (both silver paint from different manufacturers) drove the same roads for 6 and 3 years with no rusting on the hood. They did have paint chips but those chips never rusted.

Because of the rust in the trunk channel I can't help but assume that the two are connected somehow. I know what the warranty states about rust perforation being covered. What information can you share with me concerning this issue? May this be a problem that other owners have reported?

I'll let you know their response
Old 03-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Banned

Here's the deal with non-fixable rattles. When the techs rip up the door panels and then replace them... they're not replacing the INSIDE weather stripping just right. the stripping gets warped and provides an ill fit. so they fix rattle A but now you have rattle B... or C... or D... etc.