what my dealer told me about summer blend

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 12:18 AM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry what my dealer told me about summer blend

So my brother's 06 TSX has been getting really shitty gas milage these last two weeks, down from 31-33 to 21-23. however, the dealer that we both go to has a service manager who tried to tell us that his lower milage is due to gas stations changing to a summer blend.

correct me if i am wrong, but wouldn't a summer blend allow the car to be MORE fuel efficient? btw, we both live in very warm climates. I think this guy is FOS

Corresponding article below (keep in mind that even though it is an old article, it is still relevant):

What Is Summer-Blend Gas?
And if it's so clean, why don't we use it year-round?
By Sam Schechner
Updated Monday, April 12, 2004, at 5:55 PM ET

According to a survey of 8,000 service stations released yesterday, American motorists are paying an average of $1.80 for a gallon of gas. While several factors—including record demand and the unusually high cost of crude oil—account for the increases, news reports also place some blame on shortages caused by the annual switch to smog-reducing "summer blend" gasoline. What is summer-blend gas? And if it's so clean, why don't we use it year-round?

The term "summer blend" is shorthand for a menu of federally and locally mandated summertime fuel recipes that are designed to cut down on smog. The gasoline we use is always refined from an intricate blend of ingredients; the process combines coffee-dark crude oil with various additives that increase performance or make fuel burn more cleanly. Because overlapping federal and local requirements call for different recipes in different locales and seasons, there are approximately 20 distinct "boutique blends" of gasoline sold in the United States. Some Americans end up pumping a blend called Carb (named for the California Air Resources Board) while others burn Atlanta (named for Georgia's capital, where it's sold).

Refineries brew their summer blends by removing hydrocarbons that are more prone to evaporate in hot weather. These chemicals, called volatile organic compounds, react with airborne pollutants in the summer sun to form ozone, one of the main components of smog. From June 1 to Sept. 15, the EPA mandates that pumps in 12 high-ozone urban areas—such as Los Angeles, New York City, and Baton Rouge—deliver gasoline that meets special low-evaporation standards. Several states have voluntarily adopted the rules, and 15 have enacted their own seasonal-blend regulations on top of the EPA's. For example, pollution-conscious California has mandated that service stations must start selling its summer blend in May.

Summer-blend gas isn't new. It was first sold in 1995, as required by the Clean Air Act's 1990 amendments, and the current, even cleaner, concoction was phased in for the summer of 2000. Since then, there have been sharp spikes in fuel prices every spring as summer blends get rolled out. This is not so much because it's expensive to make the gas—the added cost per gallon is only 1 or 2 cents—but because refineries generally try to sell every last bit of winter fuel before mixing in the slightly more expensive summer batch. Sometimes they draw down the stock too far, creating shortages before the first deliveries of summer blend enter the supply chain. The return to normal blends in the fall causes a far less pronounced spike because the industry, free from summer standards, doesn't bother selling off the summer gas before mixing in the less pricey stuff.

So why not use the summer blend year-round? The main reason—apart from the fact that the 1990 law isn't written that way—is that summer-blend gas doesn't work as well in the winter. Summer blend's low-evaporation rate makes engines less likely to stall in hot weather but can make them difficult to start in the cold.

a newer link: http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...gasside20.html
Old 04-30-2006, 09:55 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's not nearly enough of a difference between summer and winter gas to lower your mileage by 30%. Has traffic been getting denser? Did your brother's job move closer to his house?
Old 04-30-2006, 12:59 PM
The Power of a Grill

no and no. no major changes at all. that's why we are trying to get a better reason for the drop in mileage
Old 04-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The winter blend is supposed to get you less mileage because of the higher % of additives that they add in there. It's done this way so that your car warms up faster in the winter and doesn't give off as much emmissions. In the summer you shoudl be getitng MUCH better gas mileage. The guy is full of it.
Even if it was true, it wont account for a 30% drop in gas mileage. I'd try a different dealer or something if i were you.
Have oyu checked the simple things yet? Air filter? fluids? tire pressures? alignment? tire wear?
Old 04-30-2006, 02:06 PM
The Power of a Grill

well, his CEL light came on last night. they didn't even bother to check it out, they just gave him excuses. he's going to a different dealer now.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not due to summer blend.

It's due to the changeover from MTBE to E10 (ethanol).
Old 04-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Banned

wow 2 TSXs in teh family.
Who's your bro here ?

BTW, got the navi mod done. Thanks for everything !
Old 04-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Luke 1:37

Your bro gets 31-33 mpg??? That's awesome! I do a lot of highway driving and I only get about 26-27 mpg on my 05 auto.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by San-AnT
well, his CEL light came on last night. they didn't even bother to check it out, they just gave him excuses. he's going to a different dealer now.
CEL?
dang... that's possibly from a shady gas station. Maybe they put water in their gas. try a different brand of gas from a station that gets a lot of volume to see if things change.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:02 AM
The Power of a Grill

he only uses shell. so do i. anyway, the former mileage is only highway (from houston to san antonio) time, not city driving. that's about what i get on the highway also. it's a 3 hour trip in-between, so few or no stops means more mpg.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:02 AM
The Power of a Grill

Originally Posted by fuckleberry
wow 2 TSXs in teh family.
Who's your bro here ?

BTW, got the navi mod done. Thanks for everything !
he's purplepeopleater. lets see some pics of your mods!!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:38 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by psteng19
It's not due to summer blend.

It's due to the changeover from MTBE to E10 (ethanol).
Also no.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:20 PM
10th Gear

I gotta say I've noticed this too. Same daily commute. Same traffic (none). Same setting on cruise control. First four tanks I was averaging 29-31, the last couple, I'm at 26.5-26.7.. Same two gas stations for all the tanks. I was writing it off as summer blend/E10.. if that's not it, what could it be?

My TSX is brand new still, only 6 weeks old, cant be engine trouble already.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
So it would probably be an anti-smog part like an O2 sensor that screwed up and is also messing up your mileage, since your ECU has to go in limp mode, making it run very rich and with retard timing.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:50 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sauceman
making it run very rich and with retard timing.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:05 PM
The Power of a Grill

So it would probably be an anti-smog part like an O2 sensor that screwed up and is also messing up your mileage, since your ECU has to go in limp mode, making it run very rich and with retard timing.
i agree with you sauce, but he doesn't think that's it. I told him from day one he probably has a faulty O2 sensor.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

i agree with you sauce, but he doesn't think that's it. I told him from day one he probably has a faulty O2 sensor.
Yeah, that summer blend thing is pretty retarded. You're supposed to always get much better mileages during summer, due to various factors, one being the air resistance is lower because of lower density, and that same lower density forces the ECU to lean out the mixture as well.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jpt
Also no.
Huh???
Are you saying that I'm wrong? That E10 is not hurting gas mileage?
Old 05-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by psteng19
Huh???
Are you saying that I'm wrong? That E10 is not hurting gas mileage?
I remember having tested with it a few years ago on my Accord and it did negate the mileage by a few mpg. Power seemed also short.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
I remember having tested with it a few years ago on my Accord and it did negate the mileage by a few mpg. Power seemed also short.
Go to Brazil and see your milage drop a lot because of the amount of ethanol in the gas. The more ethanol in the gas the lower the milage - not to the tune of 30% but it does hurt milage. Vehicles designed for E85 usually have lower milage numbers than the regular gas equivalents of the same car running on just gas.

Assuming the summer blend changes the proportion of ethanol in gas to about 5% of volume, I'd say the milage hit should be on the order of maybe 1-2%.