View Poll Results: If the TSX had no MT option, would you have bought the AT TSX?
Yes, I would buy the AT TSX.
25.00%
No, I would not buy the AT TSX.
75.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

What if no manual tranny was available?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What if no manual tranny was available?

To those who bought or are buying a 6MT TSX, if the TSX had not been available with a manual tranny, would you have bought the TSX anyway--that being the automatic model?
Old 10-15-2003, 11:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Wow, 100%! TSX or not, this is my first car, and I just didn't want an AT period. I don't like them. I've never even driven an AT TSX (even though it was suggested by my parents at test drive time). Maybe I'll get a chance when I get a service loaner....

Edit: ok, no longer 100%.... who's the traitor?
Old 10-15-2003, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TSX is my 5th car...all have been manny
If the TSX didnt have manny I wouldn't even have test driven it...
Old 10-15-2003, 04:20 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Although the TSX styling is very nice, but if TSX didn't have 6MT, I wouldn't even consider it. Glad that Acura made the right decision to offer the 6MT TSX.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:24 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
This is why I didn't buy the 1999 TL when it came out. It's pretty easy for me to eliminate a car from my short list if it only ships with an auto.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:25 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I find this thread highly offensive

If I could delete it I would
Old 10-15-2003, 04:30 PM
n00b

Originally posted by domn
I find this thread highly offensive
How?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:02 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by vwong
How?

Cuz he drives a 5AT...but he was just kidding anyways.

BTW ..domn...I like the new avatar
Old 10-15-2003, 07:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Oooooooooooooo. Look at the color of domn's TSX--Indigo Blue Pearl/Ebony. I didn't know that the Canadian-market-only color came with Ebony interior. VERY NICE! Too bad it's not MT!
Old 10-15-2003, 07:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This is actually a very cool poll ... I'll admit it ... I probably would have gotten the 5AT if no 6MT avail. This is just a sharp package of a car 6MT or not.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by provench
This is actually a very cool poll ... I'll admit it ... I probably would have gotten the 5AT if no 6MT avail. This is just a sharp package of a car 6MT or not.
I agree...I have the 5AT and don't worry, I didn't vote. The TSX just blew me away the first time I saw it. I wanted one immediately. I'll admit that paddle shifters would be sweet though. I've looked at the new TL numerous times and I think the TSX looks better.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:07 PM
n00b

Originally posted by swami
I've looked at the new TL numerous times and I think the TSX looks better.
I agree with you completely. I, too, think that the TSX looks better than the new TL. But if the TSX didn't come with MT, I still wouldn't get it.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:52 PM
such a dirty birdy

As nice as the TSX is, I never would have considered it if it was auto only. Probably wouldn't even have bothered with a test drive. The only car that made my short list with an auto was the Accord EX-v6 and only because I was currently driving and Accord (5MT).
Old 10-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Banned

No slushbox for me! I would have waited a year, and bought a Mazda6 hatchback.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:56 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

nope i'd be driving a 6spd accord right now.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:49 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Brad
Oooooooooooooo. Look at the color of domn's TSX--Indigo Blue Pearl/Ebony. I didn't know that the Canadian-market-only color came with Ebony interior. VERY NICE! Too bad it's not MT!

Originally posted by fdl
BTW ..domn...I like the new avatar
Thanks, I wish I could have found a IBP instead of SSM, but oh well.

I seriously have a hard time believing this many of you would'nt have gotten the TSX if a MT was'nt offered. I desperately wanted the MT as well, but circumstances beyond my control (wife) made it impossible. The only other car I also considered which was the Accord Sedan V6 which is of course only available with an Auto.
When I weighed the pros and cons of each against eachother the TSX was still the superior car IMO for a number of factors. But let me assure you MT drivers that the AT TSX is still a boat load of fun to drive.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

.....I desperately wanted the MT as well, but circumstances beyond my control (wife) made it impossible.....
That's exactly why I had to have an MT car now. While it's still "possible" (i.e. I'm not married)

Speaking of wives....A funny story: as soon as I got my TSX my dad told me that the woman I marry will make me sell this car (mostly because I care about it so much, but also because it's MT). Hopefully that doesn't happen, but he's much wiser than I am....
Old 10-16-2003, 07:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Speaking of optimism...your wife-to-be should know better and accept you as you are--with car and MT.

If your spouse-to-be cannot accept you "as-is", then what's next that your spouse-to-be cannot accept? That's an important issue that too many people conveniently overlook until after they are married. I've heard this problem countless times: One spouse has a hobby or plays in golf or some other sport or likes cars; the other spouse pouts and wants "more time" with spouse (wah, wah, wah), and expects the OTHER spouse to simply change!

Advice: Be sure your wedding vows include an "as-is" clause, something like what they have on used cars. Seriously!
Old 10-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the advice
Old 10-17-2003, 07:00 AM
04 remembrance

i probably would've opted for the compressor if tsx's didn't come with 6mt....
Old 10-17-2003, 08:10 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Also make sure your spouse to be already drives a MT, or is wiilling to learn.

But, when I was dating my current wife, she wanted to learn how to drive a stick and I in fact would give her lessons from time to time, all was going well. I actually think she can drive a MT. But when it came time to buy the TSX, it was Auto only in her mind.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:30 AM
Suzuka Master

....when I was dating my current wife, she wanted to learn how to drive a stick and I in fact would give her lessons from time to time, all was going well.....But when it came time to buy the TSX, it was Auto only in her mind.
So you're saying.......I have no hope! Unless the woman of my dreams doesn't mind (or actually prefers) driving stick (like ricecake!)
Old 10-17-2003, 10:46 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

If you find that special girl that drives a stick, hold on like theres no tommorrow because there ae'nt too many of them special women around.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:52 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

MY wife will have her own car anyways ... i dont want her driving my ride!
Old 10-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

About 8 years ago, one of the courier services (maybe UPS) was sued by a female trainee who declared that stick stift delivery vans amounted to sex discrimination! She could not get the hang of it at all. (I think this was in San Francisco.) I can't believe that for one minute sex discrimination has anything to do with it. Of all of the serious problems societies face with gender equality issues, it's pitiful so see the issue abused to that end.

I found that trainee's claim to be astonishing, because most of the women I've known over the years--on the professional level--drive stick with no problems. Even family members--all of my sisters know how to drive stick. (My mom, on the other hand, hated stick. I think it made her carsick or something because in "her days" you could really feel a to-and-fro motion in some stick shift cars.

So now we have come full circle. Some forum members struggle with the same issue with spouses, although lawsuits and I hope divorce are not the methods of resolution.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:08 PM
n00b

If you find that special girl that drives a stick, hold on like theres no tommorrow because there ae'nt too many of them special women around.
I feel very lucky then.

When I was dating my wife, she didn't know how to drive stick. When we were engaged, we traded her AT Civic for the Integra GS-R (only comes in MT). She was forced to learn then. Now she really likes driving MT. The only thing I need to get her to do is to try auto-x so she wouldn't get bored when she comes out to the events with me. :P
Old 10-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Advanced

Clutch performer, let's put it simple: if a girl won't let you have a MT, DUMP HER!! My wife drove an MT from the time she learned to drive, and only recently moved to AT because of the distraction of kids in the back seat, having to reach back to yank their arm out of the socket and the like (just kidding about the arm). As for me, Domn, you shouldn't have any trouble believing the poll results - see other threads, like the manny tranny a dying art thread - and you'll see how passionate most MT drivers are about it; 75% of them at least despise AT driving. Over the years I have on numerous occasions been lured by some new car model coming out, and have gone to a show room on a few occasions to look at/test drive the car, at which point I found out that MT wasn't offered and promptly did a 180 and walked out without looking further or test driving - just crossed it off my list. I remember this happened when Honda came out with the 6 cylinder Accord - I really couldn't believe they would come out with a more powerful engine and ONLY offer MT in the 4 cylinder! It was a bad decision, IMO, on Honda's part. (In fact, I think they still only offer the MT in the 4.)
Old 10-17-2003, 05:19 PM
n00b

Originally posted by mrdoug
(In fact, I think they still only offer the MT in the 4.)
No, Accord V6 coupe is available in 6MT now. The V6 sedan, however, is still available in AT only. That doesn't bother me at all because I don't like the Accord styling anyway.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:08 PM
Racer

I seriously have a hard time believing this many of you would'nt have gotten the TSX if a MT was'nt offered. I desperately wanted the MT as well, but circumstances beyond my control (wife) made it impossible. The only other car I also considered which was the Accord Sedan V6 which is of course only available with an Auto.
When I weighed the pros and cons of each against eachother the TSX was still the superior car IMO for a number of factors. But let me assure you MT drivers that the AT TSX is still a boat load of fun to drive.
Exactly what I was going to say. Wife would be a important factor for AT. But don't think ppl driving 5AT as "gay", 'cause give me a MT and race with me, I bet I can still beat out a lot of ppl. After all, I have been driving MT for the past 12 years.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

I seriously have a hard time believing this many of you would'nt have gotten the TSX if a MT was'nt offered. I desperately wanted the MT as well, but circumstances beyond my control (wife) made it impossible.
Oh, I can believe it! I couldn't have considered the TSX or any car if MT were not available.

If it weren't for the styling, I could have been content with a 4 cylinder Accord with MT.

I despise Honda's and Acura's game playing with 6 cylinder MT models. The 6MT Accord 6 coupe is extremely difficult to get. And the now discontinued CL was available with 6MT, but in only the premium Type S model. I despised that!!!!

It's not a problem for me to do an about face in a showroom if the car isn't available in MT or the salesperson tells me they are sooo rare and hard to find, blah, blah, blah.