What do you want in a Bluetooth audio accessory?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 01:42 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you want in a Bluetooth audio accessory?

Hello TSX owners,

For a while, I've wanted Bluetooth music (aka A2DP) in my '08, so I've decided to rectify the issue by developing a small product that will be installed near the stereo unit in the center stack.

At this point, I have designed the hardware for the accessory, but I need input from others in order to decide what features I should implement in the software.

My goal is to have the best fit-and-finish. These types of accessories are never 100% perfect, but my aim is to produce something that "just works" in the ways one would expect. Here are my goals:
  • All factory stereo buttons work (next/prev, music pauses when you turn the stereo off, etc.)
  • Volume sync, so you don't have to turn the volume up on the phone to hear it on the stereo
  • Artist/track readout on audio/navi screen (impossible for '04 non-navi, sorry)
  • Ability to wirelessly update the unit's software from your smartphone
  • Hardware compatibility with most Honda vehicles from the 2000's (especially 03-07 Accord, 04-08 TL, 06-11 Civic; just update the software to use it on a different car)
  • Lowest price of any similar product: $100 (probably not including harness )

Unfortunately, I cannot show much evidence of my work, but the hardware design is all but finalized and the software is well on its way. I hope to have the unit shipping in 6 months. I would post a picture of my schematic for the hardware or something, but I have worked really hard on this and don't want to give all of my findings and techniques away.

My questions for the community are:
  • Is this something that TSX owners are interested in? (TL/Accord owners are welcome to chime in, too)
  • Are there any additional features you guys want that I didn't think of?
  • Is $100 a fair price? Does anyone make something similar for less?

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully together, we can make something that fulfills our needs.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would buy that for $100.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:44 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your feedback. Right now, I am working on ensuring that the circuit board is not only robust, but as small and inexpensive to manufacture as possible. I am a programmer by trade, not a hardware engineer, so this part may take a bit longer than it would otherwise.

If you could, please send me a private message with your vehicle type (year, model, and if it has navigation) as well as your email. There are many variations of Accord/TSX/TL radios on which I have to test, so I maintain a list of people interested in the product and what vehicle they have, so I can notify everyone when a specific vehicle becomes supported. I hope to be able to give everyone on my list a 20% discount.

Testing the software has been a bit slow, since I have to set up everything in my TSX, and working in the car is pretty uncomfortable. I am going to buy an entire Accord/TSX/TL audio system that I can set up on my desk. This should make the work go faster.