What do you like least about your 1G TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:31 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you like least about your 1G TSX?

I had been leaning towards the 2G TSX but after a second test drive of the 1G, I decided I like the way it drives a lot, better than the 2G mainly because of the steering. I'm going to test drive the 2G for longer tomorrow though to get a better feel. Anyway there were a few things that came to mind that I wasn't too fond about with the 1G. They are:
-The separate key and door lock/unlock pieces. Apparently though I can get a switchblade for this.
-The interior isn't too exciting/luxurious, mainly with the center console. However I don't think the 2G is any more luxurious. I do think the 1G is more simple though with fewer buttons and the touchscreen. At first I though touchscreen was worse but I think there are too many buttons on the 2G.
-Sound system isn't as good as the ELS in the 2G. What are thoughts on it in the 1G?
-Average safety (esp. in IIHS tests)
-lack of iPod integration (only aux)

Obviously I haven't been able to notice everything with the car. So what are some of the faults you have with it? FWIW I prefer the sportshift in the gate as opposed to paddle shifters, the blue gauges, give the exterior a draw. What are your thoughts on the seats especially for long drives? The 2G seemed to have slightly more comfy seats. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:19 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
The only big complaint I have with my 06 6MT/wnav MR/eb tsx, bought new 11/17/06, is the lousy paint. It chips too easily. I am not a big fan of the switchblade key-I think it is bulky and would end up keeping the key out all the time. I do alot of driving, mostly highway. It is a very comfortable riding car with more than enough power. I average 32-35 MPG. It now has 51,000+miles.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by terpfan29
I had been leaning towards the 2G TSX but after a second test drive of the 1G, I decided I like the way it drives a lot, better than the 2G mainly because of the steering. I'm going to test drive the 2G for longer tomorrow though to get a better feel. Anyway there were a few things that came to mind that I wasn't too fond about with the 1G. They are:
-The separate key and door lock/unlock pieces. Apparently though I can get a switchblade for this.
-The interior isn't too exciting/luxurious, mainly with the center console. However I don't think the 2G is any more luxurious. I do think the 1G is more simple though with fewer buttons and the touchscreen. At first I though touchscreen was worse but I think there are too many buttons on the 2G.
-Sound system isn't as good as the ELS in the 2G. What are thoughts on it in the 1G?

Obviously I haven't been able to notice everything with the car. So what are some of the faults you have with it? FWIW I prefer the sportshift in the gate as opposed to paddle shifters, the blue gauges, give the exterior a draw. What are your thoughts on the seats especially for long drives? The 2G seemed to have slightly more comfy seats. Thanks for the help.
I'd have to say that the faults I've found in the 1st gen. probably would apply to the 2nd gen. too. Lousy brakes (relativley speaking of course, and always a weak spot w/ Hondas compared to BMW or Audi), interior (nice, but again no comparison to some of the German stuff)(even VW now), the suspension's not quite aggressive enough for my liking (this is addressable though), and the lack of wood inside (with interior colors other than the beige). These are all small items by themselves, and I really like the car (so much so, I've got two). It's a great highway ride (which is 80%-90% of my miles) and gives outstanding gas mileage.
I like the looks of the 1st gen. more, and I haven't read anything good about the new electric power steering. If I were on the market today (for a new TSX), I'd be loking at the 1st gen.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Race Director

turn radius sucks
Old 05-25-2008, 09:20 AM
1st Gear

1G vs 2G

I also like the 1G so much that we have 2 in our family (06-A/T & 07-M/T). I have owned almost 30 cars over the years and it the 1st vehicle that I like as much or more than the day I bought it. I'm usually ready to unload a vehicle after 2 years.

The only complaint I have is also the paint. I think the colors are great but the durability of the paint is fair at best.

If you think the turning radius is poor in the TSX try making a U-turn in a Mazda6!
Old 05-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Advanced

Having only seen the 2G model...the $3,000 current effective difference in price makes the 1G model a better value, IMO. The 1 G model is very comfotable to drive on long distance trips, I prefer the 1G AT shifter gate setup better than the 2G model, as do I prefer the wood grain trim in our parchment interior equipped model as oppposed to what looks like no trim. I prefer the older styling too. I would prefer a switchblade key (I have that with our Pilot) as opposed to the outdated keyless fob that has been used for eons. Lastly, the size of the 1G model is preferred. It fits us like a glove sizewise......anything bigger would not have been desired from our standpoint.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Racer

Since I just traded my '04 for an '08, you know my position. And, I traded before I test drove an '09; although a demo was readily available. But, to the differences as I perceive them to be -- after having driven an '09 model.

There is no comparison in the steering between the 1G and the 2G. If you like the steering in the 1G, it is not likely that you will like the steering in the 2G. They are completely different. IMO, the 2G steering is numb, imprecise, and too loose (too easy to turn the wheel).

1) The separate key and door lock/unlock pieces. Apparently though I can get a switchblade for this.

The switchblade seems to be larger and takes up more room in my pocket. I prefer the separate units. I don't know why Acura didn't make the TSX key a one piece like the Odyssey key.

2) The interior isn't too exciting/luxurious, mainly with the center console. However I don't think the 2G is any more luxurious.

Then, what's the point? Since they are the same.

3) I do think the 1G is more simple though with fewer buttons and the touchscreen. At first I though touchscreen was worse but I think there are too many buttons on the 2G.

I agree with you. However, I do not have the nav.

4) Sound system isn't as good as the ELS in the 2G. What are thoughts on it in the 1G?

I do not buy an automobile because it has a great sound system. The system in the 1G is the best that I have ever had and plenty good. I seldom listen to anything while driving, anyhow. I find it too distracting. I want to be able to hear the sounds of my car, the sounds of my tires, the sounds of the cars and trucks near me, and the sound of any horn or siren. If I run over anything that is foreign, I want to know it -- and that generally means that I have to be able to hear it. Being able to hear what is going on around you can help you avoid accidents. I sometimes open either the sunroof, or a window, and judge my speed by the wind noise -- allowing me to keep my eyes on the curves and on the road. So, when driving, I depend upon hearing as well as sight.

5) Average safety (esp. in IIHS tests)

Have you read the ratings?

6) lack of iPod integration (only aux)

See number 4 above.

7) Obviously I haven't been able to notice everything with the car. So what are some of the faults you have with it?

I find no faults with the 1G. It has thus far proven to be the perfect balance of compactness, space (including trunk space), performance, economy (mileage), power, handling, comfort, range, reliability, features, maintainability, and layout (FWD vs RWD vs AWD) for my needs. I have no children, so I need only a two seater. The back seat is used for snacks, camera, jackets, purchases and junk collected on trips. The truck is for suitcases (one each -- the size that will go under an airline seat), cooler, additional camera box, boots, suit bag and other items.

8) FWIW I prefer the sportshift in the gate as opposed to paddle shifters...

For my geographical area and driving style, I find the paddle shifters to be useless.

9) What are your thoughts on the seats especially for long drives?

I like the seats. I am 6'0" and 200 lbs. The longest drive has been 430 miles and the seats don't bother me. I drive about 350 miles a couple of times a year. My wife has no trouble sleeping in the passenger seat at night; especially when she takes a travel pillow.

So, what does the 2G offer over the 1G?

More interior space. The larger size makes the 2G more suitable as both a family car, and a business car, than the 1G (the 1G is more of a personal car). A better audio system -- with the expensive tech package. One mile per gallon better EPA mileage rating -- your mileage may vary. A quieter interior. The ability to play an iPod thru the sound system (whoopee!). Let's see. Did I miss anything?

And, what does the 1G offer over the 2G?

Great steering that is precise and predictable. A tail that is always willing to follow the front -- at least thus far. Sport shift on the center console (a requirement for any car that I buy). One hundred and sixty pounds less weight; making the car feel more nimble and tossable. A smaller, more compact size. I like being able to reach over and open the passenger door, as well as having less space taken up in my garage. Also, the width makes the car more suitable for narrow roads (some of the roads around here are one-lane roads with two-way traffic -- and the opposing traffic is all too often something like a Tundra). A little larger trunk. Styling that is more elegant and easier on the eyes. Engine sounds that I like better. The 1G engine sounds like it is ready to run -- rather than sounding like it is strained. Gauges that I prefer over the 2G gauges. Smaller wheels, and tires, could mean a little less replacement cost. And, a cute butt (as my wife says).

I agree with others that the paint chips too easily. But, I would not expect it to be any better on the 2G.

I am completely satisfied with the 1G. I would not be satisfied with the 2G. It is a shame that both carry the TSX name. They are very different vehicles that appeal to people for very different reasons.

IMO, the 2G is currently not much more than a place holder waiting for a different engine, a small V-6 of perhaps around 3.0 L and 230 HP for those that want performance and a diesel for those that want economy, as well as a different suspension; S Type for those that want performance. Time will tell.

The above represents my impressions and opinions. Others will have contrary impressions and opinions.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by chuckmoseleypt
I also like the 1G so much that we have 2 in our family (06-A/T & 07-M/T). I have owned almost 30 cars over the years and it the 1st vehicle that I like as much or more than the day I bought it. I'm usually ready to unload a vehicle after 2 years.

The only complaint I have is also the paint. I think the colors are great but the durability of the paint is fair at best.

If you think the turning radius is poor in the TSX try making a U-turn in a Mazda6!
the mazda6 turn radius can't be as bad as the 2000-2004 I35/Maxima, that was the worst. you had to always repark my dad's I35 whenever I drove it. good car still though.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Racer

The paint is my biggest disappointment with the car. i have so many little chips on my hood and front bumper it looks like I drove behind a gravel truck for 500 miles with rocks flying at it the whole time. I have an 04 and do wish I had bluetooth and better Ipod integration. Turning radius does suck but I would rather have dual wishbone up front then macpherson struts. overall its the best car I have ever owned and I plan on keeping it for at least the next few years.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:11 PM
2004 Acura TSX

I wish my 04 had better paint, stiffer suspension. Automatic doors that close when driving faster, rougher acceleration (but maybe it's just my auto 5 speed). That's pretty much it. I love the design of the 1st compared to the 2nd gen. The 2nd gen doesn't look sporty and fit at all. Looks like a damn luxury car. No sporty feel to it.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike_E
I wish my 04 had better paint, stiffer suspension. Automatic doors that close when driving faster, rougher acceleration (but maybe it's just my auto 5 speed). That's pretty much it. I love the design of the 1st compared to the 2nd gen. The 2nd gen doesn't look sporty and fit at all. Looks like a damn luxury car. No sporty feel to it.
that's the point that Acura is trying to do with their cars from here on out, make them look more "luxury". think about it, if you wanted a sporty honda, just go get an Accord coupe or s2000 instead. they are trying to distance themselves from honda, so whether you like it or not they are are trying to make Acura more luxurious like Lexus and Infiniti. that's why the 2nd gen TSX looks more upscale due to that reason alone.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a few things I wish Honda/Acura would fix on the next TSX model.. better brakes (too soft on my 06), navigation system is way outdated and clumsy (I'd prefer the Lexus nav, the display is so much clearer and brighter), bluetooth HFL is a pain to use. I hate the fact that you have to either spell out the phone number or say 'transfer' if you are making a call from your handset. Too retarded to me Other than that, I'm happy with my purchase.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
other than mp3 capability in 1st gen, i love my 06 pwp.
my sound system is supurb. of course there would be better ones with aftermarket HU and speakers, but my OEM Alpine Navi headunit and pioneer speaker is good enough for me.
i honestly believe paint issue would be same for the 2nd generation, Acura won't change about that dramatically.
Plus, come on...seriously do you think 2nd gen looks good? it looks bad outside and interior is same as US accord. why buy a tsx then... i'd rather choose "rather" better looking Accord with v6 in it for the same money. (my friend bought blk 08 accord v6 EX-L with navi for 28700).
Old 05-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
The paint on the 1G looks great, its shiny and comes in a nice array of colors but its so soft
Old 05-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Advanced

which colors are best for minmizing scratches? And did the 08 have any improvement compared to 05 with the paint issue?
Old 05-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

for everyone complaining about the paint, is TSX's paint particularly weak? i have yet to see anyone complimenting their paint on any car forums.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

which colors are best for minmizing scratches? And did the 08 have any improvement compared to 05 with the paint issue?
I found out about the weakness of the paint when I took my '08 for the first car wash and saw light scratches throughout the car. Nothing too obvious, but way too early for a brand new car... so no, I don't think the '08 offers anything different.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
weak paint.

thin 05 steering wheel.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Banned

I've had the TSX for about ten months and I'm not having a problem with the paint. If I get realy close up I can see a few small specks here and there but from even a few feet away the car looks flawless after a washing. The idea that the specks in the paint are people's biggest problem with the car is a testament to how little there is to complain about.

I don't care for the sound system, it's better than a typical car stereo but it's not even average after market quality. It lacks bass, is mid heavy and distorts early. It's bad enough that they print the words "premium sound" on the unit but I don't know who would describe it as "premium". If the TSX has premium sound then what does the TL have? When I gave up my Integra good aftermarket sound was the thing I missed the most.

I wouldn't buy an '08, I would look for a used '06.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I'd have to say that my only real complaint with my 08 is the lack of MP3 capability. For a car at that price point, it should be standard. But that's such a minor complaint, it wouldn't effect my decision to buy it. I certainly wouldn't change it. The turning radius is a bit on the wide side, but to be fair my last two cars were quite a bit smaller than the TSX. It's just something that I've had to adjust to. The handling is superb, especially for a car of it's size, but getting it into a parking space (especially with the funky parking garage at work) can be a bit of a task.

I looked at the 08 and 09 when I was at the dealer to buy. The interior of the 09 really turned me off. I like the dash of the 1G a lot more. The 6:00 zero guages, IMO look a lot nicer than the ones on the 2G. The center stack on the 1G is a lot simpler, and much more elegant than the 2G. And I thought the overall fit and finish on the 1G was a lot more simple and elegant. The 2G was bordering on edgy, which is not what I was looking for. I rode to church in a friend's brand new Accord EX-L yesterday. It reminded me a lot of the 2G TSX. After having spent some time with the 1G, I was not impressed.

As for the steering, without having driven a 2G, I can tell you there's going to be a huge difference. The 2G's electric power steering isn't going give you the road feel that the 1G's hydraulic does. I've driven other vehichles with electric power steering, and they all have the same, dull, muted feeling. There's no feedback from the wheels to tell you about the road. If you want that kind of ride, you may as well just buy the Caddy and get it over with.

Disclaimer - Now, these are my opinions. I'm not trying to convince anybody either way. I'm not trying to put down the 2G TSX. I'm merely expressing that it's not what I'm looking for in a vehicle at this juncture.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
paint is also my biggest complaint
Old 05-25-2008, 11:39 PM
I can't find my garage

no mp3 cd, no auto headlights, auto window only for driver, cheap leather
Old 05-25-2008, 11:56 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
- Sounds like the interiors are a push. I've read reviews that thought the 2G console/radio was overly complex.
- I've never heard a 2G stereo, but the 1G is marginal (considering it's supposed to be a luxury brand). I guess it's OK if audio is not a priority to you, but the good news is that it's easily upgraded. I just replaced the 4 door speakers for less than $300 (all parts included) and it made an amazing difference. Now it's what it should have been out of the factory IMO. The magnets on the stock components are the size of about 5 stacked quarters.
- i-Pod can be fixed with an adapter (but will not work with a Shuffle). I though the price was $150ish.

I didn't get the TSX for a high-performance car. So I'm not critical of the engine, brakes, etc. at all. In fact, what the engine lacks is made up for in good mileage. And really there's nothing all that lacking in a 205hp engine...

I don't like the road noise - it's a very noisy cabin for a "luxury" car. I'd agree the paint is soft, but you know, all paint chips. Aside from that, I honestly believe it's close to the perfect car for it's price range.

BTW, I have an 06 AT. If you are not getting an 09, I'd shoot for 06-08. You can probably set yourself up with a nice lower mileage 06, and have enough left over to mod everything that bothers you about it, and still come in thousands less than an 09.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Burning Brakes

love the car 1st gen paint blows rotors and brakes were the first thing i upgraded
Old 05-26-2008, 07:19 AM
Advanced

paint on all cars today is soft. although my 03 cl with 125k mi highway driving has NO chips or roadrash.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:43 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by suzook
paint on all cars today is soft. although my 03 cl with 125k mi highway driving has NO chips or roadrash.
Our 05 hyundai elantra GT, with 77,000 miles, has only a few chips compared to the numerous ones on our 06 tsx with 51,000 miles. The both cars are driven on the same roads.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:03 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Yup...
Paint
Turning radius
Stereo

But to this day, over 5 years later I'm still in love with the drive and the looks. In my eyes it will never look like an old car.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mokos23
turn radius sucks
a lot

also no auto headlight
thats all.. still love the car!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
The only big complaint I have with my 06 6MT/wnav MR/eb tsx, bought new 11/17/06, is the lousy paint. It chips too easily. I am not a big fan of the switchblade key-I think it is bulky and would end up keeping the key out all the time. I do alot of driving, mostly highway. It is a very comfortable riding car with more than enough power. I average 32-35 MPG. It now has 51,000+miles.
at the 32-35MPG

I really dislike the crappy paint job too
Old 05-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Racer

Only dislike is that it transmit too much road noise. But sound proofing will solve that
Old 05-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by shizi
a lot

also no auto headlight
thats all.. still love the car!
The TSX is like a go-cart compared to my old 97 CL, if you think the TSX is bad multiply it by about 10x.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:54 PM
15 TLX Tech

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an 06/auto/non-navi/ASM Of course paint, but thats already been mentioned. Couple other things would be the auto headlamps, auto adjusting outside mirrors with the memory seat setting, and a compass (built into the rear view mirror) for us non-navi folks! I bought mine with 6 miles on it on 11/7/06 and it just turned over 20K miles last week. Still love the car!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 05:07 PM
B A N N E D

better paint, more torque, push button start would be cool, heated steering wheel, better stereo, and more factory upgrades.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:36 PM
-Nick-

Bigger brakes. Especially in the back, the stock ones are really small and look terrible.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Pro

alot of folks seem to wish for auto-headlights... but with the HIDs, that would be the LAST thing I want - the lights coming on and off when I don't need them (going in and out of tunnels, garages, backing out of and pulling into my garage, etc) will just wear them much sooner than if I only turn them on and off when I know I need them.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

i agree with the weak paint. the chips look horrible on my car and are very visible in direct sunlight. this will probably apply to the 2Gs as well. clear bra will solve this though.

never had an issue with the turning radius. I have always been able to make U turns without a problem.

never had an issue with the brakes. they seem fine to me.

I do wish the car was more quiet though. other than that, I am very satisfied with the car.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:47 PM
resident asshole

yea... ditto on the paint. I wash washing it, and saw alot of chips and oxidation from bird crap.... then again, I'm pretty sure you could make the same argument for other cars.

Still the perfect car for me at this point in my life.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Cheap leather & cheap paint.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mokos23
turn radius sucks
Ditto!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd have to say that road noise is now my No. 1 complaint. Of course thats most likely due to the OEM tires (yes, I'm still on the OEMs). I've addressed some of my other complaints by upgrading my speakers, intake, and header and getting it reflashed.

Quick Reply: What do you like least about your 1G TSX?