What did i just do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did i just do?

So this is my story. Today we got quite a bit of snow and i just got back from driving my girlfriend home. Anyway i get to my car and turn it on and then reach around to the back seat to grab my scraper and i hear this Vvvvrrroooomm vvvrrroomm. I quickly realized i had stepped on the gas pedal and revved my engine to the rev limiter (wasnt pressing the clutch so it was 4500RPM) My engine was probably on for only 10-15 seconds so I am terrified of what, if any, damage i just did to my engine? What do you guys think? On a cold start i always baby my engine. I don't rev past 2500 till the temp gauge moves and then no more than 3000 until normal operating temp.

Do you guys think my baby is still ok? It bounced off the rev limiter twice before i realized

P.s. I know i am not very active on this site but i am currently getting my accounting diploma and so i have tons of homework almost every night

anyway thanks for the replies
Old 01-12-2011, 01:46 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
unoo-You're absolutely fine. You have nothing to worry about.

Many people on this site just start their car and go.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
I agree that you should be OK, just don't make a habit of it. And...... there's absolutely nothing you can do about it now, so let it go. If anyone was wondering or cares..... this is a perfect example of where the superior adhesion qualities of synthetic oil can help prevent any possible damage from cold start miscues such as this.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I did that once, only I think the car was already warmed up. No damage was done. I think you'll be fine.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by unoo
So this is my story. Today we got quite a bit of snow and i just got back from driving my girlfriend home. Anyway i get to my car and turn it on and then reach around to the back seat to grab my scraper and i hear this Vvvvrrroooomm vvvrrroomm. I quickly realized i had stepped on the gas pedal and revved my engine to the rev limiter (wasnt pressing the clutch so it was 4500RPM) My engine was probably on for only 10-15 seconds so I am terrified of what, if any, damage i just did to my engine? What do you guys think? On a cold start i always baby my engine. I don't rev past 2500 till the temp gauge moves and then no more than 3000 until normal operating temp.

Do you guys think my baby is still ok? It bounced off the rev limiter twice before i realized

P.s. I know i am not very active on this site but i am currently getting my accounting diploma and so i have tons of homework almost every night

anyway thanks for the replies
You should be fine. Just don't make it a habit...

Also, I'm an accounting major as well! Though since it's my first year in college, I'm spending most of my time doing non-accounting "core" classes.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jchan2
You should be fine. Just don't make it a habit...

Also, I'm an accounting major as well! Though since it's my first year in college, I'm spending most of my time doing non-accounting "core" classes.
Ya i am in my first year too but i took a general business program first so i have a little bit of a head start now.

and ya i hope its alright. I definitely won't make at habit of revving my engine when it is cold haha
Old 01-12-2011, 03:57 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
you'll be fine.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
+1

No worries.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Racer

You shouldn't have any problems driving your car from the start.

The vast majority of cars on the road today use electronic fuel injection. When your car’s engine is cold, the computer tells the fuel injectors to stay open longer, allowing more fuel into the engine to help it run cold. As the engine warms up, the injectors let in less fuel and everything returns to normal, so to speak.