What is D3 on AT

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 07:54 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is D3 on AT

I don't have my car, nor my owner's manual, yet so would like to ask a basic question.

I presume that the D3 position on the AT restricts the transmission to the first three gears? Let me know if that is not correct.

When I drove the demo car, I noticed that the 'N' LED on the dash would NOT always be on when the shift was in the Neutral position. I would gain speed, then move the shift level to the Neutral position (as if I wanted to coast down a hill) and unless I would jiggle the shift around, the 'N' on the dash would not be lit. I presume that it just needed an adjustment, but was wondering if anyone else has seen the same.

On trips across the Smoky Mountains on Hwy. 441, I can travel for 15 miles without touching the brakes nor the throttle -- providing there is no other traffic. I control the speed by shifting gears, including using Neutral. It is a technique that I will often use in the mountains.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:01 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

d3 limits the gearing to go up only to third.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:07 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought it was just like D but three times faster?

Old 09-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

D3 gives you one-third of the fuel economy of D. It's really supposed to be D/3.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Banned

You can just shift right in D3 while the car is engaged in D and moving, right ?
(like when come to an uphill)
Old 09-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by blackjackman
You can just shift right in D3 while the car is engaged in D and moving, right ?
(like when come to an uphill)
Old 09-29-2004, 09:27 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
D3 on a 4AT keeps you out of overdrive... in this case, I assume it keeps you out of 4 and 5.

BTW, Jim, in California, it's actually a violation of the vehicle code to have your vehicle out of gear on a public highway while in motion. Not sure about NC.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by elduderino
D3 on a 4AT keeps you out of overdrive... in this case, I assume it keeps you out of 4 and 5.

BTW, Jim, in California, it's actually a violation of the vehicle code to have your vehicle out of gear on a public highway while in motion. Not sure about NC.

How does that work? There are a lot of AT transmissions that switch to neutral to maximise fuel economy when coasting downhill.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

how would anyone know if you were out of gear going down a hill anyway?

if i see a downhill - i floor it after all, the owner's manual says to take advantage of a downhill, so i am

Old 09-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin

How does that work? There are a lot of AT transmissions that switch to neutral to maximise fuel economy when coasting downhill.
They don't actually switch to neutral, do they? They just switch to the highest available gear to maximize fuel economy so that it will coast and still be in gear, don't they?

Old 09-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
They don't actually switch to neutral, do they? They just switch to the highest available gear to maximize fuel economy so that it will coast and still be in gear, don't they?

Wouldn't switching to a LOW gear (engine braking) maximize fuel economy? Isn't that what the AT actually does on downhills?

There's no way it goes to neutral. That's not very safe.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by elduderino
I have heard that that was the case in some states. But, I don't know about NC. I fail to see the logic, or reasoning, behind it unless:

1) It was believed that some people would have trouble getting the car back into gear on steep grades; particularly with manual transmissions. Many years ago, it was sometimes difficult to get a manual transmission, especially in trucks, to synchronize when trying to downshift -- or shift from neutral into one of the lower gears. That was back when double-clutching was common -- it did serve a purpose.

2) It was implemented back when brakes were not so reliable and brake failures were all too common. My mom had brakes fail on her twice. Fortunately, neither incident resulted in an accident.

In any case, I will check the law and see what it says. I have never heard of anyone being cited for such a violation -- pretty hard for anyone to detect or prove.

I downshift a lot instead of using the brakes, so I am going to love the tap shift feature of the Acura. Using neutral is, to me, just another logical use of the gears. It would be interesting if the tap shift would allow one to shift all the way into neutral; 5-4-3-2-1-N and then N-1-2-3-4-5. But, that probably would cause some issues with the authorities.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
I have heard that that was the case in some states. But, I don't know about NC. I fail to see the logic, or reasoning, behind it unless:.....
3). Taking turns in neutral is not safe.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
3). Taking turns in neutral is not safe.
Can you elaborate? What makes it unsafe? The engine could be pulling under power -- or it could be holding the car back and serving as a brake when there is no power being applied (no throttle). You are apparently saying that either of these conditions makes the car more safe than having the wheels neither pulling nor braking. On slick roads, it seems that having neither power, nor braking, would provide the least chance of a lost of traction.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
....The engine could be pulling under power -- or it could be holding the car back and serving as a brake when there is no power being applied (no throttle). You are apparently saying that either of these conditions makes the car more safe than having the wheels neither pulling nor braking.....
Exactly.

I'm speaking about normal roads. You have greatly reduced control over your car when it's in neutral. This is accentuated in corners (especially on a FWD car). Take your favoite corner in a gear (any gear), and then take the same corner at the same speed in neutral. See if it doesn't feel spooky.

On slick roads, it doesn't matter what gear you're in--if your tires go, that's it.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

D3 = don't drive downhill.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Banned

Old 09-29-2004, 04:49 PM
ric
Safety Car

My old Saab 93 used to have a clutch that disengaged while driving down hill or decelerating, although you had a choice..... could lock the disengage in or out. If you allowed the transmission to go into neutral, you could gain about 10-15% in fuel economy, but you burned out the brakes quickly. It was actually a bit hard to manage, because you had to pick the right moment to re-engage or really throw the transmission into gearshift hell. Headed down the right hillside, you could really pick up momentum and rocket up the next hill before re-engaging the clutch. The Saab 93's had manual four-speeds, no choice, and were powered by a two-cycle three-cylinder engine - sounded and acted like a riding lawnmower, but those Saabs had great handling characteristics, and were very popular with off-road ralley freaks.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Racer

Take your favoite corner in a gear (any gear), and then take the same corner at the same speed in neutral. See if it doesn't feel spooky.
Wow, I never tried doing that. This would be an interesting experiment tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by observer
Wow, I never tried doing that. This would be an interesting experiment tomorrow.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:52 AM
Photography Nerd

If you are cornering at the maximum g's your tires will allow, you should neither be accelerating or braking so it shouldn't matter if you're in neutral.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:53 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm not talking about being at the limits of grip. I'm talking about any ol' corner.

And if you are, and your tires break loose, it'll be a heck of a lot harder to get your car back in line if you're caught sleeping in neutral.

Edit: Dan you have a 6MT, you must know what I'm talking about!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm back, biatch.

Hmm... actually you are BOTH correct. In theory the tires will experience maximum grip when the car is neither accelerating nor braking, so driving in neutral and not using the brakes would be ideal. But this is assuming perfect 50/50 weight distribution, and doesn't take into account that the car is actually decelerating when it is neutral due to friction and air resistance.

So perhaps a small amount of gas, just enough to keep the car's speed constant, is best. Or maybe since TSXs have 60/40ish weight distribution, a little bit of acceleration to shift some of that extra weight to the back would work well too.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Photography Nerd

People shouldn't make it common practice to corner while in neutral but it really doesn't do any harm. I agree with teg_to_TSX's post about maintaining constant throttle through the corners.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I used to enter a corner in gear but with the clutch in. It didn't feel dangerous to me. I let the clutch out and accelerated out of the corner. No big deal.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Instructor

Wouldn't switching to a LOW gear (engine braking) maximize fuel economy? Isn't that what the AT actually does on downhills?

There's no way it goes to neutral. That's not very safe.

Switchign to a low/lower gear (engine braking) will cause the RPM to go up, thus causing your MPG to go down.

It won't maximize fuel economy. Quite the contrary, i presume.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not talking about being at the limits of grip. I'm talking about any ol' corner.

And if you are, and your tires break loose, it'll be a heck of a lot harder to get your car back in line if you're caught sleeping in neutral.

Edit: Dan you have a 6MT, you must know what I'm talking about!
I don't know about Dan, but I sure as hell don't!

I can't see how it's being riskier not cornering at the limit in neutral than at the limit.

And another thing while we're at it. I've been here since well over a year now, and I read people saying from the beginning "they heard" that it's illegal to coast down in neutral, without anyone bringing up evidence about it. Would you all stop insinuating things and actually come up and show the real deal?
Old 10-04-2004, 05:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by rsx_r04
Switchign to a low/lower gear (engine braking) will cause the RPM to go up, thus causing your MPG to go down.

It won't maximize fuel economy. Quite the contrary, i presume.
Wrong again. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...5&page=2&pp=25 Read from post #28 and on.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:41 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by sauceman
And another thing while we're at it. I've been here since well over a year now, and I read people saying from the beginning "they heard" that it's illegal to coast down in neutral, without anyone bringing up evidence about it. Would you all stop insinuating things and actually come up and show the real deal?
Sauce, it's a well-known fact that your car transmits secret, encoded data containing your car's current gear selection and current angle of ascent/descent on a frequency monitored by the various highway patrol departments of North America. In fact, there is a proposal to have the added datasets of what your are listening to and the content of Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone conversations rolled into these covert transmissions, and to possibly have sensors placed on the rear tailgates of SUVs to detect the presence of soccer ball magnets to signal a need for increased vigiliance to the local authorities.

Get with it!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sauceman
Wrong again. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...5&page=2&pp=25 Read from post #28 and on.
Thank you, sauce.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Dayum I didn't know I had THAT much catching up to do from my last month away!
Old 10-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Thank you, sauce.
Thanks Sauce and CP! Wow, that's some good piece of information!