What can be used to run cars besides Gasoline/oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Not a Registered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What can be used to run cars besides Gasoline/oil?

gas pricing are going throught the roof.. is the world really almost out of oil?

what is being used today to run cars other then gasoline/oil? what do you predict will be used in the future?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We aren't out of oil, we're out of the ability to process it based on future demand.

Probably better put in the Ramblings section... but

1. Human methane
2. Animal methane
3. Hydrogen
4. Ethanol
5. Alcohol
6. Propane
7. Electricity

God I hope Hydrogen.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:54 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think the world is close to running out of oil, but the oil cartel finally got smart and realized that they can make more money by limiting production. That being said, the US needs to become less dependent on oil. Our goverment needs to stops giving in to the "big 3" and force more effecient cars to be made by drastically raising the CAFE standards! Maybe then Joe Sixpack and his wife would both stop buying thes big SUVs (that are mostly empty most of the time) that get like 10mpg -- talk about a big waste of gas! Both democrats and republicans alike don't seem eager to do that.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:12 PM
VSA Rocks

After watching the news, a number of reasons can be identified for the sudden oil increase. Some of them are:
- Instability of Iran, the 4th highest producer of oil
- China manufacturing and economic growth - they are becoming more U.S.-like in buying cars and operating manufacturing equipment that need petroleum products
- Increased U.S. demand

We've been warned for some time now. Yet, we still insist on buying big SUV's and not use public transportation.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:25 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
basically, everything STL has said and the fact the auto industry (like every other industry lobbists) has bought out the politicans in Congress. Look at GW signing off tax breaks to big SUVs, coal plants, and passing of the waterdown energy bill.

we as citizens also took advantage of the whole situation when gas prices were low; look at all the trucks and SUVs people bought. this country is too hung up on the size/hp propoganda.

anyway, back on topic...short term solutions are electric-gas (i.e.: honda IMA), diesel (i.e.: honda 2.2 CTDi), or hopefully hybrid-diesel (a honda IMA + i-CTDi). i don't see other prevalent short term solutions. someone else here may...
Old 08-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
This should be in Car Talk: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/
Old 08-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Racer

Whatever you do, never believe all this talk that the world is running out of oil. Not only is there a bunch of oil available for drilling, but new fields are found all the time which increase the known reserves. Not to mention, no one knows how much undiscovered oil there is out there.

Taking into account oil consumption trends, I believe it was estimated that we have at least 150 years worth of oil that is known to exist and that we have the ability to extract.

Considering the technological advances that have happened within the past 150 years, I'd say we're pretty safe. The only real worry now, as others have mentioned, is who has control of the world's oil and how they use that power.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Guinea Pig

I wouldn't doubt that someone somewhere knows almost exactly how much oil the earth has left. Are we close to running out? I'd say someone that we know before we die might see the world run extremely low on oil.

As for what other things cars will run on......

I saw some dude that had a car running off of used cooking oil. It was kinda cool, but he said he always smelled like french fries.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:25 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CJams
I saw some dude that had a car running off of used cooking oil. It was kinda cool, but he said he always smelled like french fries.
I've seen those two conversions too, but they have a ton of drawbacks. And if more than a handful of people started doing that then used cooking oil he is now getting for free would start costing $ and eventually it wouldn't be worth it -- not that it really is now.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by STL
And if more than a handful of people started doing that then used cooking oil he is now getting for free would start costing $ and eventually it wouldn't be worth it -- not that it really is now.

The price of french fries would skyrocket
Old 08-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Banned

for fuel
Old 08-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Racer

I know there are some bio-deisel car out there. jeep has one I think. But there aren't to many gas stations that cary it. As for my understanding, hydrogen isn't the anwser because althought hydrogen is eco friendly, the way it needs to be produced is not. Kind of like the light bulb is eco-friendly, but the power plants needed to produce the electrisity are not. It aparently would produce 17% more polution to to produce the hydrogen needed to fuel america. It worked in iceland because 72 % of there power is hydro-electric already, but america doesn't have the capability to to have that much hydro-electric power. Just a few things I picked up in popular mechanics. Although I'm not sure if the problems with the power plants needed have been adressed since.....
Old 08-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr. Fusion.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:07 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by STL
I don't think the world is close to running out of oil, but the oil cartel finally got smart and realized that they can make more money by limiting production. That being said, the US needs to become less dependent on oil. Our goverment needs to stops giving in to the "big 3" and force more effecient cars to be made by drastically raising the CAFE standards! Maybe then Joe Sixpack and his wife would both stop buying thes big SUVs (that are mostly empty most of the time) that get like 10mpg -- talk about a big waste of gas! Both democrats and republicans alike don't seem eager to do that.
I don't believe the US plays as big a role as we all think in the rise in global oil prices. Click on the following link and click Countries.
http://www.opec.org/aboutus/

There is an interactive map that shows the global flow of crude/refined oil. For example, the flow from the Middle East to the following areas:
North America: 2256 barrels/day
vs
Asia/Pacific: 9597 barrels/day.

In my opinion, the use of oil to generate electricity carries more weight in affecting the price of oil than the amount used to power automobiles. Even SUVs. One can only imagine how many people/homes in developing countries (SE Asia, for example) are now learning to consume massive amounts of energy through lighting, computers, air conditioning and so on. Considering the massive population of these countries, the rise in oil prices should continue to increase.

Alternative fuel solutions are cool and all, but there needs to be a more fundamental shift in how we generate electricity. And that is what will shut OPEC the fuck up!
Old 08-16-2005, 08:48 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

According to several articles I've read, I am getting a much different picture. For instance here some figures I've seen several different places:
"U.S. oil demand grew by 2.8% to just more than 20.5 million b/d. America accounts for 25% of the oil used worldwide and about 20% of the world's refining capacity."
Old 08-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
I don't believe the US plays as big a role as we all think in the rise in global oil prices. Click on the following link and click Countries.
http://www.opec.org/aboutus/

There is an interactive map that shows the global flow of crude/refined oil. For example, the flow from the Middle East to the following areas:
North America: 2256 barrels/day
vs
Asia/Pacific: 9597 barrels/day.
Remember, however, that the Middle East doesn't produce oil in exclusivity -- Venezuela, USA, Canada, Russia, etc... all produce lots of oil. The reason oil is still expensive everywhere is that it is sold at the world asking price and then contracts signed day-in-day-out with suppliers in the region. ie: The US will import from somewhere close before it goes 1/2 way across the world to the Middle East to get oil, because transporting the oil to the USA obviously costs money.

What STL said:
"U.S. oil demand grew by 2.8% to just more than 20.5 million b/d. America accounts for 25% of the oil used worldwide and about 20% of the world's refining capacity."
holds a lot of weight -- the USA is an oil consuming pig and is paying dearly for it, and causing the world to pay dearly for it. If they (and all countries, but mostly the USA) were to take a more energy-conscious stand and start taxing the crap out of SUV's, penalizing people for buying these unnecessarily gas guzzling vehicles, then the demand for oil would drop and consequently lower the world price for oil.

I'm not saying SUV's are the only problem, because they're not. But they're the "token bad guy" when looking at the US. As someone else mentioned, it's the American desire for bigger, more powerful vehicles, where a hybrid SUV or simply a smaller vehicle would do just fine.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Racer

Human Methane lol, Woot, my car is out of gas, but I'M NOT. *FART* If you think gas stations stink, wait for Flatulence-Canada, now with 94 Fartane.

Man, i'm bored.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by curls
holds a lot of weight -- the USA is an oil consuming pig and is paying dearly for it, and causing the world to pay dearly for it. If they (and all countries, but mostly the USA) were to take a more energy-conscious stand and start taxing the crap out of SUV's, penalizing people for buying these unnecessarily gas guzzling vehicles, then the demand for oil would drop and consequently lower the world price for oil.

I'm not saying SUV's are the only problem, because they're not. But they're the "token bad guy" when looking at the US. As someone else mentioned, it's the American desire for bigger, more powerful vehicles, where a hybrid SUV or simply a smaller vehicle would do just fine.
That's awefully narrow minded. A tax is hardly the solution to anything, despite what much of the world believes. The very fact that the US has a fairly hands off policy when it comes to the economy is has made this country so successful in the first place. Not to mention, automobiles make up such a small portion of oil use in the world. Even if everyone and their mothers drove hybrids that got 50+ mpg, little would change in terms of total usage, pollution output, and societal effects.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:28 PM
Instructor

An interesting read: http://www.oilendgame.com/

Also, 20 Hydrogen Myths: http://www.rmi.org/sitepages/pid171.php#20H2Myths
Old 08-17-2005, 05:52 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SicK TypeS
gas pricing are going throught the roof.. is the world really almost out of oil?

what is being used today to run cars other then gasoline/oil? what do you predict will be used in the future?

Some have mentioned that it would be best if water could be used. But we could probably run out of even that after a couple of years because people would think by looking at the oceans we have an unlimited supply
Old 08-17-2005, 06:23 AM
Instructor

You can convert a diesal engine to run on used vegetable oil (which you can get for free from restaurants) and turn it into a "Grease Car" http://www.greasecar.com/

Many people do it with the TDI Gulfs and Jettas
Old 08-17-2005, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Raise taxes on gasoline!

Originally Posted by daniel1113
That's awefully narrow minded. A tax is hardly the solution to anything, despite what much of the world believes. The very fact that the US has a fairly hands off policy when it comes to the economy is has made this country so successful in the first place. ...
Hmm. I am one who believes that gasoline (and other such fuels) may be undertaxed, and I've done some reading on this and don't consider myself narrow-minded. (Though I don't suppose the narrow-minded would ever point the finger at themselves, so my assertion is pretty much worthless ).

Anyway, I normally agree that market forces should be left to determine such things, but market forces only work correctly if the pricing is correct. It can be argued that the price of oil does not correct reflect its true costs (ie, environmental, political, military, security, etc.). These real costs that are not factored into the price of oil are what economists call, I believe, negative externalities. If the price of oil properly reflected all costs, then I'd say that market forces could be trusted to make the right supply and demand decisions. One way to attempt to adjust prices to make them more nearly correct is to analyse the externalities and add a tax to compensate for them.

The report I linked above recommends what they call "feebates": Extra fees on things society wants to be rid of, transferring that cash in the form of rebates to subsidize some things society wants to see more of. It makes sense to me. I'd love to see the price of gas increased to reflect its true costs (including, in my city, the costs of trying to keep up with the road infrastructure, excessive urban sprawl, etc.), while sending that extra taxation directly into more effective mass transit. (Along a similar vein, I'd like to see land developers charged more to compensate for land use, road/water/sewer construction, fire/EMS, etc. If the true costs of new developments were factored into new house prices, people would be encouraged to purchase higher-density housing closer in to existing transportation infrastructure, and make better use of existing urban land.)

Originally Posted by daniel1113
...Not to mention, automobiles make up such a small portion of oil use in the world. Even if everyone and their mothers drove hybrids that got 50+ mpg, little would change in terms of total usage, pollution output, and societal effects.
Maybe it's a small percentage in the world, I don't know. But I think it's a significant percentage of use in the US and Canada:

We now import nearly 60 percent of our oil, two-thirds of which is used for cars and other transportation.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/journaledito...05/energy.html
See also http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...icles%3F&meta=
Old 08-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Not exactly gasoline, but I think we get the idea...

http://www.mindfully.org/Sustainabil...-24percent.htm

In the
United States:
Americans constitute 5% of the world's population but consume 24% of the world's energy.

On average, one American consumes as much energy as

2 Japanese

6 Mexicans

13 Chinese

31 Indians

128 Bangladeshis

307 Tanzanians

370 Ethiopians

The population is projected to increase by nearly 130 million people - the equivalent of adding another four states the size of California - by the year 2050.

Forty percent of births are unintended.

Americans eat 815 billion calories of food each day - that's roughly 200 billion more than needed - enough to feed 80 million people.

Americans throw out 200,000 tons of edible food daily.

The average American generates 52 tons of garbage by age 75.

The average individual daily consumption of water is 159 gallons, while more than half the world's population lives on 25 gallons.

Fifty percent of the wetlands, 90% of the northwestern old-growth forests, and 99% of the tall-grass prairie have been destroyed in the last 200 years.

Eighty percent of the corn grown and 95% of the oats are fed to livestock.

Fifty-six percent of available farmland is used for beef production.

Every day an estimated nine square miles of rural land are lost to development.

There are more shopping malls than high schools.