Well...someone knew our TSXs don't have glass breakage sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well...someone knew our TSXs don't have glass breakage sensors

They freakin broke into my car last week and did it by popping the passenger side rear window. As I was walking out of the gym two nights ago, I came around the corner where my car was parked, hit the unlock button and suddenly a kid jumped out and ran, he had look outs also and they ran too. One jumped into like a white Buick Enclave or GMC looking SUV two parking spaces down, backed out and skidded off. They made off with my wallet, but grab an MP3 player, the connection wire, and phone charger from the front center console and put them along with cables into a small bag I had in the back and looked like they were going to take it but luckly didn't. And apparently, when I talked to the cops, friends, even community folks, this has happened before many times at this gym and the owner refuses to put up cameras in the back where I had to park (the gym is packed this time of the year with all the new year resolution hypocrites).

It looks like they used a screw driver and popped the window out (I mean the window was almost 70% still in tack and when they popped it they put it under the car. I'm so glad I decided not to do cardio that night, otherwise they would have made away clean...freakin bastards!!!

Anyway, whoever did it obviously our cars don't have the sensors. I know for sure the alarm didn't sound because there were people getting in and out of cars otherwise they would have said something tooo. So i'm definitly putting in a sensor. JTso had a really good idea I saw in a few posts about tapping into a door sensor and inserting an off relay with it (so the door light doesn't come on while driving). I'm definitly going to do this, but just out of curiosity who's done this and where did you place the sensor (under the dash)?
Old 01-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
F**in assholes. Sorry to see and hear about such an ordeal. Was any of your personal affects able to be seen from peering into your car? Or do you think your car was targeted randomly?
BTW, are you able to say what city this took place in?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Too bad that happened...but lucky you came back when you did.

Obviously you'll want to park elsewhere from now on. --Or consider quitting that gym -- and tell the owner you're quitting specifically because he has a security problem back there and can't safely accommodate all of the members and their cars. (He is enjoying all the income from the 'New Year's resolutionists', but is not willing to make it safe to park there. Until he has an economic reason to change things, he won't.)
Old 01-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good thing they didn't take all. I better be careful..... Break ins at gyms are common for some reason.

My "dream" situation would be that I'd jump in my car and chase them, they run a red light, get broadsided by a gravel hauler, and be paralyzed for the rest of their life. Serves the punks right who steal people's stuff who worked hard to get.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:43 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Daffunda
Good thing they didn't take all. I better be careful..... Break ins at gyms are common for some reason.

My "dream" situation would be that I'd jump in my car and chase them, they run a red light, get broadsided by a gravel hauler, and be paralyzed for the rest of their life. Serves the punks right who steal people's stuff who worked hard to get.
that'd be my dream scenario too, i'd like to add that after the wreck, I would get out of my car and get my belongings back, then drive off. or maybe call the cops and let and stay to let them know what exactly happened to ensure some jail time...
Old 01-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by goddsmack
Anyway, whoever did it obviously our cars don't have the sensors. I know for sure the alarm didn't sound because there were people getting in and out of cars otherwise they would have said something tooo. So i'm definitly putting in a sensor. JTso had a really good idea I saw in a few posts about tapping into a door sensor and inserting an off relay with it (so the door light doesn't come on while driving). I'm definitly going to do this, but just out of curiosity who's done this and where did you place the sensor (under the dash)?
Uhh, most cars don't have sensors that monitor glass breakage. That's a pricey addition for aftermarket alarms. Factory alarms only monitor the opening of doors.

And how is a sensor under the dash going to monitor the breaking of glass, unless it's supposed to listen for glass-breaking sounds? I'd opt for a sensor that's inside the door that senses vibrations on the window.

Now you know, bring a padlock to the gym, or leave your valuables at home. I would never leave my stuff in the car while at the gym because if I were a thief, I would know that people leave stuff in their car for safe-keeping.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Daffunda
They break into cars at gyms for several reasons:

1. People tend to leave their valuables in the car so they don't have to lock them up in a gym locker that probably had sweaty underwear in it just 5 minutes ago.

2. People usually spend at least 30-40 minutes in the gym. It's not an in-and-out kind of place. If you see someone walk into a gym, you know you have plenty of time before they come back.

3. People are tired when they come out. Yes, you're running the risk of picking Mr. Atlas' car, but most of the people will leave the gym too tired to chase you. Plus, if you are scouting the place, you will know what car to break into (and you won't pick Mr. Atlas' car).

That's why I always take my valuables in with me and lock them up. I have a small gym bag that I hang from the hooks inside the lockers, then lock it with a combo lock (don't have to carry a key). That's where I keep my wallet, car keys, and any jewelry I might be wearing.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glass breakage sensor are not standard and usually never come with any type of factory keyless entry or factory alarm. Why it does not is beyond me. You can find these sensor in the most basic aftermarket alarm.

Every single car till date I have owned, I have always made it a habit to put in a DEI alarm (www.directed.com).

BTW, it's not that someone knew your car did not have a glass breakage sensor, EVERYONE knows because it never comes as a factory installed option unless you get it add on via a aftermarket alarm system.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Pro

actually, if you put your valuables in your trunk the alrm will sound the second they pop it. The reason the alrm didn't sound is because they crawled through the window...
Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
That's a pricey addition for aftermarket alarms. Factory alarms only monitor the opening of doors.

And how is a sensor under the dash going to monitor the breaking of glass, unless it's supposed to listen for glass-breaking sounds? I'd opt for a sensor that's inside the door that senses vibrations on the window.
Toyota makes a factory one for their vehicles and that's where i installed it for my truck. Trust me it was way too sensitive even where it was located and I had to turn it down.

I'm just lazy these days, I may just take it to a shop and have them do it.

It was the 24hr at Citrus Heights.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PACman
F**in assholes. Sorry to see and hear about such an ordeal. Was any of your personal affects able to be seen from peering into your car? Or do you think your car was targeted randomly?
BTW, are you able to say what city this took place in?
All my stuff was hidden in the center console except the MP3 cord was sticking out and the jack end was in the cup holder area. It's just weird they would target me especially since there were people coming and going...
Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
wow that hella bs. I hope the run off and hit a tree and get F up. Freaken stupid ass people.

At least you caught it while you can. I was thinking you should get the OEM windows visor. It makes it really hard for them to pry out the window without smashing the whole thing
Old 01-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Pro

glove compartment+lock it?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by goddsmack
Toyota makes a factory one for their vehicles and that's where i installed it for my truck.
I just checked, Toyota does have a factory one as an add-on. Honda, on the other hand, doesn't have one. Having a factory one should be assumed to be extraordinary since most vehicles don't have it stock. Even a Toyota won't have it stock if they didn't get the add-on.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
I just checked, Toyota does have a factory one as an add-on. Honda, on the other hand, doesn't have one. Having a factory one should be assumed to be extraordinary since most vehicles don't have it stock. Even a Toyota won't have it stock if they didn't get the add-on.
Geez man you don't believe me...lol.

I went to a shop and I bought a Viper 330V add-on which adds the shock sensor. One thing I was worried about if tapping into a door switch with a simple shock sensor is even if it's a light tap, there is no dual stage warning, so it would immediately trigger the alarm. Reading about the 330V, others have had problems with false alarms. I'll try it out first and then if I don't like it, I'll figure out my next move. Getting it installed next weekend.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 PM
SPINNNNNNN!!

Last xmas same thing happened. Broke through my rear passenger side window and took 2 sunglasses (one had big scratches over lens and the other the gf had sat on). Total cost of the 2 sunglasses: $25 -___-