"Wear-and-tear" items

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003 | 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

"Wear-and-tear" items

The warranty excludes so-called "wear and tear" items such as tires and wiper blades so that if you get a flat tire, the dealer doesn't have to replace it. Understandably so. My question is, does the clutch plate fall under the category of "wear and tear" item for warranty purposes? That is, if I glaze my clutch before 40k miles, will Acura replace it? I don't remember the dealer saying anything about it.

No, I don't plan on ruining my clutch. This is just for informational purposes...
Old 07-22-2003 | 12:52 PM
Drifting

With a moniker like "CluthPerformer" I can see why you'd be interested in such a thing. Don't count on it bro, they wouldn't help me out when I had warped rotors on my CL-S.
Old 07-22-2003 | 12:58 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Clutch is considered a "wear and tear" item, so you gotta pay.
Old 07-22-2003 | 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Jason
With a moniker like "CluthPerformer" I can see why you'd be interested in such a thing. Don't count on it bro, they wouldn't help me out when I had warped rotors on my CL-S.
Wow! Not even the rotors? Those aren't even supposed to "wear". Sheesh! Ok, thanks for the answers guys.
Old 07-22-2003 | 01:16 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Wow! Not even the rotors? Those aren't even supposed to "wear". Sheesh! Ok, thanks for the answers guys.

Thats one good thing about BWM or Audi. They will replace and pay for everything for 4 years. It makes thing very especially attractive for someone who is looking to lease , which is about 90% of bmw new car sales.
Old 07-22-2003 | 02:33 PM
Advanced

If you burn your clutch, yes! that is "wear and tear".
Old 07-22-2003 | 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Jason
When I had my 99 TL-Navi, I got the front rotors and pads replaced at no charge.

Mind you, this came after a lot of phone calls all over the place.
Old 07-22-2003 | 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Rotor replacements and clutch plate replacements are considered maintainance repairs, not warranty repairs. No manufacturer offers replacing these items as warranty repairs.

As for the part about BMW and Audi doing repairs, they do what is considered "complementary scheduled maintainance." They don't replace everything for the course of the term. In other words, they are selling you a car care plan. You are paying for this service package on the purchase of your car. When you contract on the car, you'll have an addendum covering this. These items include oil changes, routine checkups, tire rotations, and so on. It does not mean that you can burn up your rotors and your clutch, walk into your BMW dealer, and get these items replaceed free of charge. It means that when these items are due for maintainance replacement and servicing, at that time they can be serviced. They have to be considered to be servicing on the vehicle according to normal operating conditions. I think you have a misunderstanding on this one. Continuing on my point, here is the text from www.bmwusa.com on its section regarding maintainace coverage:

Full Maintenance includes items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear, provided wear and tear exceeds BMW specifications. This includes items such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blades that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Any adjustments required due to normal operating conditions are also included. For exclusions and limitations, refer to the Service and Warranty Information booklet that came with your new BMW or see your authorized BMW center for details.
Old 07-22-2003 | 04:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

I had a funny noise on my pressure plate on my S2000, they replaced the clutch disk and pressure plate under warranty.