Wait is killing me

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005 | 06:50 AM
Luke 1:37

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
Virtualbong, I hope you don't have any problems obtaining a vehicle. This is my first new car buying experience, and it has been a crazy one. The ETA was today and the car wasn't delivered. This is like the 4th time the ETA has been pushed back even though the car is supposedly in NJ right now. I wonder what the ETA will be when I call tomorrow. If you could only imagine how frustrated i'm feeling right now. The weekend is approaching, and I need my car. I wish I could just go pick up the damn car myself.
I definitely feel for you man! Especially since you already setup your insurance to start on the TSX a week ago...My question to dealers is, "How the hell do you not know where the car is?" I guess someone who has worked at a dealership could better answer this. I mean, I can understand if the car is being delivered coast to coast, but if its already in the same state, why is it taking so long to get there. It just really anx me that salesman have to be like that. WE WANT THE TRUTH DAMN IT! Is that so tough to do?
Old 02-10-2005 | 09:49 AM

Oooooh, I have a positive update to report. Just called the dealership again and wasn't able to reach my salesman, but another guy was able to provide me with a VIN#!!!!!! He also said that its still estimated to be delivered at the end of this month or more likely March. This is good news and I hope the good news keeps on coming! WHOO HOO!
Old 02-10-2005 | 09:50 AM
Pro

Actually, the dealer gave me a brief rundown on how vehicles are shipped and delivered. He mentioned that the cars are shipped from Japan to California. From there they are loaded on a train and shipped to Ohio. Then they are shipped to a common port in New Jersey. Once the cars hit US Shores, the dealers are able to track the vehicle's destination via a daily incoming transit report obtained from Acura online. (You can even request that they provide you an internet link so you can manually track the car yourself. At least this is what Montclair Acura told me they would do once the vehicle hits US Shores).

Now once the vehicles reach the port in NJ, the contracted delivery trucks pick up the vehicles and deliver them to the appropriate dealerships. Now my dealership told me that this is the point where they supposedly have no control. Apparently, they are at the mercy of these delivery trucks to drop off the vehicles on the dates specified on the incoming transit report. The delivery process is so retarded that they can not ask to have a specific vehicles shipped. Here's the kicker.....this NJ port where the vehicles are stored is about 20 to 30 minutes away from my dealership. I'm going to call my dealership later today to see if the ETA has changed again. As of last night, the ETA was still 2/9/05.
Old 02-10-2005 | 09:54 AM

Actually, the dealer gave me a brief rundown on how vehicles are shipped and delivered. He mentioned that the cars are shipped from Japan to California. From there they are loaded on a train and shipped to Ohio. Then they are shipped to a common port in New Jersey. Once the cars hit US Shores, the dealers are able to track the vehicle's destination via a daily incoming transit report obtained from Acura online. (You can even request that they provide you an internet link so you can manually track the car yourself. At least this is what Montclair Acura told me they would do once the vehicle hits US Shores).

Now once the vehicles reach the port in NJ, the contracted delivery trucks pick up the vehicles and deliver them to the appropriate dealerships. Now my dealership told me that this is the point where they supposedly have no control. Apparently, they are at the mercy of these delivery trucks to drop off the vehicles on the dates specified on the incoming transit report. The delivery process is so retarded that they can not ask to have a specific vehicles shipped. Here's the kicker.....this NJ port where the vehicles are stored is about 20 to 30 minutes away from my dealership. I'm going to call my dealership later today to see if the ETA has changed again. As of last night, the ETA was still 2/9/05.
That's some good info to know. I'll probably email them again and ask if I could get that link to see where the car is at. I'm thinking it should already be in the US...
Old 02-10-2005 | 11:12 AM
Pro

Here's an update... I tried calling my salesman but he did not answer, so I got fed up and contacted Acura of America customer support. I explained the situation to the customer support rep, and I gave her the vehicle's vin number. She told me that it is showing up as a "dealership owned" status.. which normally means it is sitting a dealerships lot. However, the information does not specifically list which dealership. Normally, if the vehicle was at port or in transit, she would be able to tell. So she got all my information and the informatin of the dealership...she is going to contact them and give me a call back.
Old 02-10-2005 | 11:17 AM
Instructor

Here's an update... I tried calling my salesman but he did not answer, so I got fed up and contacted Acura of America customer support. I explained the situation to the customer support rep, and I gave her the vehicle's vin number. She told me that it is showing up as a "dealership owned" status.. which normally means it is sitting a dealerships lot. However, the information does not specifically list which dealership. Normally, if the vehicle was at port or in transit, she would be able to tell. So she got all my information and the informatin of the dealership...she is going to contact them and give me a call back.

Good for you, bro ...

Damn good piece of reporting ...
Old 02-10-2005 | 11:42 AM

Oh nice! what's the number to the Acura of America Customer Support? I want to give them a call and find out where my car is at.
Old 02-10-2005 | 11:48 AM
Pro

1-800-382-2238
Old 02-10-2005 | 11:57 AM

1-800-382-2238
Just called them up and they weren't able to find my VIN# or my contact information in their database.

He also told me that they would not be able to locate the car either way. The guy said that their job is only to help with issues if the car was damaged, blah blah blah. So I guess I have to go back on relying on the dealership sticking to their word that it'll be shipped by March...
Old 02-10-2005 | 12:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by virtualbong
Just called them up and they weren't able to find my VIN# or my contact information in their database.

He also told me that they would not be able to locate the car either way. The guy said that their job is only to help with issues if the car was damaged, blah blah blah. So I guess I have to go back on relying on the dealership sticking to their word that it'll be shipped by March...
God, the more I read about this stuff, the more I feel lucky that my car ACTUALLY came in. I mean, I placed my order on a Saturday and the NEXT Friday it was in.

How did I get so lucky... And in NJ of all things

:gheywave:
Old 02-10-2005 | 03:06 PM
Pro

Yeah I think you are really lucky. Or maybe it is just me. My luck isn't too stellar. But anyway, I tried calling the salesman two more times, and I still get no answer. Acura hasn't called me back yet. So i'm just going to drive down to the dealership after work tonight and find out what is going on.
Old 02-10-2005 | 03:07 PM
Instructor

Yeah I think you are really lucky. Or maybe it is just me. My luck isn't too stellar. But anyway, I tried calling the salesman two more times, and I still get no answer. Acura hasn't called me back yet. So i'm just going to drive down to the dealership after work tonight and find out what is going on.

Let us/me know what happens ... I wish you had stayed with Montclair.

BTW ... what are the specs of your TSX??
Old 02-10-2005 | 03:14 PM
Pro

I wish I would have too. Anyway, it is a CG with Ebony interior and navigation and protection package for $27,800.00
Old 02-10-2005 | 03:17 PM
Instructor

I wish I would have too. Anyway, it is a CG with Ebony interior and navigation and protection package for $27,800.00
I came thisclose to getting that concoction ... I opted for Silver instead. But that Carbon Grey is cool as hell.

Ant
Old 02-10-2005 | 06:40 PM

Definitely keep us updated after you go to the dealership tonight. I hate how salesman try to avoid a customer at all costs if they know they won't be able to make you happy.
Old 02-10-2005 | 07:09 PM
Instructor

I'm picking my cabon 6 speed navi up tommorrow from heart acura finally!!!!!!!!!!!Good luck to everyone else waiting.
Old 02-10-2005 | 09:11 PM
Pro

Okay guys.. I went down to the dealership today since no one returned my calls. I took a walk around the dealership to see if the car was there. Apparently, it was not. They had a CG non navi and two NHB's. Inside they had a Red with ebony interior TSX 6speed that looked really hot. They also had the new RL. I spoked to the salesman about my predicament, and he went on and on explaining how CG is a popular color and so on and so fourth.

In any event, I finally got to meet my salesman and I saw the incoming transit report with my own eyes. They had a bunch of vehicles coming in today 2/10/05 and supposedly they said that they are expecting three trucks tonight. One truck showed up while I was there but it only had a CG/Quartz non navi on it and a bunch of RSX's. I was pretty pissed by the whole ordeal, and my salesman promised to knock off a few hundred dollars from the deal. He also wanted to give me free oil changes and a deal on the underbody kit. I was there with my girlfriend so this was the first time she saw the car in person. She was really into the Red/ebony tsx... and she also liked the TSX with the underbody kit a lot...but she didn't like the rear wing spoiler too much... Anyway, I'm hoping that tomorrow is the day. At least I got to see the report with my own eyes. We'll see...
Old 02-10-2005 | 10:57 PM
Pro

Oh yea.. the dealer is offering the oem underbody kit installed for $1300.. Is this a good deal or can I do better? Thanks.
Old 02-11-2005 | 06:56 AM

Oh yea.. the dealer is offering the oem underbody kit installed for $1300.. Is this a good deal or can I do better? Thanks.
That's a pretty good deal. One dealership was offering $1,520 for everything, installation included and that's with a discount.

Hopefully you'll be picking it up today. Good Luck man and take some pics if you do get it!
Old 02-11-2005 | 09:55 AM
Pro

I called the dealership about an hour ago and the car didn't come in last night. Wow, this sucks big time. It may come in today but I highly doubt it. This is really insane.
Old 02-11-2005 | 11:56 AM

I called the dealership about an hour ago and the car didn't come in last night. Wow, this sucks big time. It may come in today but I highly doubt it. This is really insane.
That's so messed up! What could be causing the delay?
Old 02-11-2005 | 12:24 PM
Pro

I have no idea. The weather has not been bad at all. I contacted Acura of America and registered my disgust with them. A manager will be contacting me shortly.
Old 02-11-2005 | 12:39 PM
Instructor

I have no idea. The weather has not been bad at all. I contacted Acura of America and registered my disgust with them. A manager will be contacting me shortly.
Let me know how that works out. I may have to send some disgust their way as well. I'm going in for a test drive of a TL tonight at another dealer. Not sure if the exact car discussed is actually in stock though. If I get it this weekend I'll be driving it over to Duval to throw in their face and then DEMAND my money back. If not then I'll just dispute it with my credit card company.
Old 02-11-2005 | 01:14 PM
6th Gear

Hi guys. TSX-owner wannabe here. I have been reading this thread and I thought I would chime in with a couple of questions.

I have a deposit on an 05 ABP /w Nav. 5 AT and was told by the dealer that they would have a vehicle for me within two weeks. Well, as you can no doubt guess, WRONG!

I am being told that there is a shortage of these cars in that color since the factory only makes certain colors during certain months. Has anyone else heard of this or are they BSing me?

Although I negotiated a good deal, it does not do me any good if I can't get the car. I understand from this thread that I should get the VIN to make sure the car is not sold out from under me. When is it possible to get the VIN? I assume these are not assigned until the car is actually manufactured.

I am willing to wait a reasonable period for this superb vehicle, but only if the dealer keeps me informed and does not play some kind of shell game.

Any input is welcome and will help in my battles with the dealer. Am considering going to another dealer at this point if they can find the car faster.
Old 02-11-2005 | 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Terpfan
Hi guys. TSX-owner wannabe here. I have been reading this thread and I thought I would chime in with a couple of questions.

I have a deposit on an 05 ABP /w Nav. 5 AT and was told by the dealer that they would have a vehicle for me within two weeks. Well, as you can no doubt guess, WRONG!

I am being told that there is a shortage of these cars in that color since the factory only makes certain colors during certain months. Has anyone else heard of this or are they BSing me?

Although I negotiated a good deal, it does not do me any good if I can't get the car. I understand from this thread that I should get the VIN to make sure the car is not sold out from under me. When is it possible to get the VIN? I assume these are not assigned until the car is actually manufactured.

I am willing to wait a reasonable period for this superb vehicle, but only if the dealer keeps me informed and does not play some kind of shell game.

Any input is welcome and will help in my battles with the dealer. Am considering going to another dealer at this point if they can find the car faster.
Ummm.....doesn't the dealership decide what they want to order?

You should be able to get the VIN right after the car is built in Japan. That's my understanding at least. So they told you that they would find it within two weeks? That's such bull. They should of been able to look at their database to see if any dealerships had the combo before they told you that.

They definitely were trying to get your business by telling you that they're able to get it pretty quickly. I don't know if I'd want to deal with them.
Old 02-11-2005 | 02:41 PM
Racer

I ordered an ABP/Navi/6MT on 1/7/05 and they had originally told me 6-8 weeks for delivery. A week later they realized that ABP was not going to be made until the end of January, and that my order would actually not come in until April. I don't think they are BSing you on the colors during certain months, etc. They did wait like 2 weeks to put my order in however, after I had put my deposit down.

Meanwhile, they said that since it was going to take so much longer that my trade would not be worth as much. I said "HOLD UP!" Anyhow, we made a deal that I wouldn't go over the 100K mile mark on my trade and the price would stay the same. So anyway, I know it is too early to expect a VIN number, but my salesperson told me he would call me if there were any updates. The wait continues.
Old 02-11-2005 | 04:24 PM
Pro

Montclair Acura to the rescue..... I still haven't heard from my Open Road yet.. but Craig from Montclair Acura called me and I explained the situation to him. He stated he has a car for me now (since I originally left a deposit with them). I briefed him on my circumstances with my Credit Union and insurance company, and he was willing to work with me. He contacted my CU, and all I have to do now is send back the check and they will overnight me a new check made out to Montclair acura. Even though they are a bunch of people waiting in line for the car, he wants to give me first dibbs on it....and he is going to match Open Road's price. I have decided to just go with them. I am going to overnight the check back to my credit union tomorrow, and I should have the car by Tuesday. I am going to the dealer tonight to check out the car.

Everyone go to Montclair Acura and ask for Craig! He is cool as hell.
Old 02-11-2005 | 05:24 PM
Instructor

MONTCLAIR ACURA IS TOPS ... I got THREE cars from them. They made good on my TSX with NAV in less than a week.

My guy was FRANK CAVALLO. Super dude. Honest.
Old 02-11-2005 | 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by avenutolo
MONTCLAIR ACURA IS TOPS ... I got THREE cars from them. They made good on my TSX with NAV in less than a week.

My guy was FRANK CAVALLO. Super dude. Honest.
Man, why can't Montclair Acura be closer. Well, I'm glad to hear that things are working out.
Old 02-11-2005 | 11:13 PM
6th Gear

Unhappy

Ummm.....doesn't the dealership decide what they want to order?

You should be able to get the VIN right after the car is built in Japan. That's my understanding at least. So they told you that they would find it within two weeks? That's such bull. They should of been able to look at their database to see if any dealerships had the combo before they told you that.

They definitely were trying to get your business by telling you that they're able to get it pretty quickly. I don't know if I'd want to deal with them.

The dealer is telling me that they can locate the vehicle in the US and that they don't need to order from the factory and they have asked me to be patient. In fact they told me that they are doing everything they can to "find" the car short of "flying to Japan and building it themselves."

Needless to say, I am not satisfied based on the responses in this thread that they are telling me the truth. I intend to challenge them on this again and request a VIN by the end of next week or a copy of the factory order which shows a manufacturing date, or I will cancel and pursue with a different dealer.

I am located in MD (as you may have been able to tell by my log-in), and am currently dealing with Frankel Acura in Timonium. Does anyone have any information on this dealership or a recommendation of a better one either in MD or VA?

I tried working with Russell Acura, but they could not touch the deal and had no cars. I am considering contacting Radley Acura in Falls Church, VA, and wonder if anyone has information on them as far as a good salesperson or internet sales manager to deal with?

It is good to see that some of you are getting your TSX's however, so there may be some hope for me yet!
Old 02-12-2005 | 08:50 AM

The dealer is telling me that they can locate the vehicle in the US and that they don't need to order from the factory and they have asked me to be patient. In fact they told me that they are doing everything they can to "find" the car short of "flying to Japan and building it themselves."

Needless to say, I am not satisfied based on the responses in this thread that they are telling me the truth. I intend to challenge them on this again and request a VIN by the end of next week or a copy of the factory order which shows a manufacturing date, or I will cancel and pursue with a different dealer.
Well, this is what a dealership told me. Before making a deal, they can search through the Acura Dealership database to see if any dealer has the exact car that you're looking for on their lot. If a dealership does have your combo, then the dealership you're working with would have to work some kind of deal with the dealership that has it. ie. they would have to do some type of trade. One dealership that I went to had two CG Auto w/ Nav, but I wanted NHB Auto w/ Nav, so he said that there wouldn't be a problem trading one of their CGs for the NHB since their bost very popular. If no dealer in the vicinity has your combo on the database, it could be that its still on a truck being delivered to a dealership, so the salesman can also call up local dealerships to see if they're getting your combo any time soon. If that's the case, they'd have to work out something.
Old 02-12-2005 | 09:16 AM
6th Gear

Angry

How long do you think I should let them keep trying to "search the database" in order to make a dealer trade?

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't want to be in the position of losing too much time by delaying the order with the factory. If, in fact, they were to make the ABP cars end of January, then those cars should be nearly complete by now and are probably all sold and accounted for and NONE OF THEM ARE FOR ME.

The lack of customer service here is confounding and I am getting extremely frustrated. I am going to test-drive a Mazda 6 today to see what I think of it. It is cheaper and my wife prefers its versatility as a hatchback. Acura dealers need to do better to keep their sales.
Old 02-12-2005 | 12:07 PM
Intermediate

y0 NJTSXMan, did you order car at Open Road Acura of Wayne? I put a deposit down on an 05 CG Ebony w/Navi two weeks ago. They really have no idea when it's coming in. The sales Manager said 2weeks to a month and my sales person said early next week. Luckily I did get the VIN #.
Old 02-12-2005 | 01:55 PM
Pro

Yes, I put down a deposit for the same vehicle at Open Road Acura of Wayne and their service is horrible. The car I placed a deposit on has been in the NJ port since 1/31/05 and the ETA of the vehicle to arrive at the dealership keeps changing daily. They take forever to return my calls too. Hopefully, you will have better luck. But if I were you, I would put a credit card deposit with another dealership as well. I would try Montclair Acura. They have excellent service, and my car is there now. I just have to wait until I receive the check from my credit union so I can drive off with it. Hopefully, it will be on tuesday night. I can't wait. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2005 | 02:24 PM
Intermediate

aahhhh nooooo I was afraid you were gonna say that. Ouch that sucks!!! Those fools best shape the f* up. Hey just out of curiosity, did they give you a VIN #? If so how much to you want to bet that they gave us the same VIN!!
Old 02-12-2005 | 02:54 PM

How long do you think I should let them keep trying to "search the database" in order to make a dealer trade?

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't want to be in the position of losing too much time by delaying the order with the factory. If, in fact, they were to make the ABP cars end of January, then those cars should be nearly complete by now and are probably all sold and accounted for and NONE OF THEM ARE FOR ME.

The lack of customer service here is confounding and I am getting extremely frustrated. I am going to test-drive a Mazda 6 today to see what I think of it. It is cheaper and my wife prefers its versatility as a hatchback. Acura dealers need to do better to keep their sales.
How long have they been searching again? I would think that it wouldn't take too long to perform a search thru their database. I'm not positive on how everything would work, but even if they found the exact car at a different dealership, they would have to somehow trade for it and if the dealership has nothing that the other dealership is interested in, then they wouldn't allow the swap. Like I said before though, I'm not a dealer so I don't know how it exactly works, but it makes sense that a dealership wouldn't just send a car over to another dealership and get nothing back for it.

Mazda 6??? IMO, doesn't compare.
Old 02-12-2005 | 03:01 PM
Instructor

Well guys its been great reading through your experiences and sharing few of my own but I'm pretty much out of here because I won't be getting a TSX. I took delivery of a NHB/parchment TL w/ NAV last night. The step up to the V6 really pulled me in with the extra power. I'm still working to get my deposit back from Duval.
Old 02-12-2005 | 04:59 PM
TSXREEFER

Girls car

Mr. James the TL is a girls car .
Old 02-12-2005 | 07:49 PM
Intermediate

Smile

After three months of waiting, I picked up my PWP 05 TSX today... what a sweet ride.

Wasn't too happy with the dealership as they told me it would be 2-3 at most when I ordered my car... IT TOOK 3 MONTHS!!

But it was worth the wait!!

Good luck to all those waiting.
Old 02-12-2005 | 11:45 PM
6th Gear

How long have they been searching again? I would think that it wouldn't take too long to perform a search thru their database. I'm not positive on how everything would work, but even if they found the exact car at a different dealership, they would have to somehow trade for it and if the dealership has nothing that the other dealership is interested in, then they wouldn't allow the swap. Like I said before though, I'm not a dealer so I don't know how it exactly works, but it makes sense that a dealership wouldn't just send a car over to another dealership and get nothing back for it.

Mazda 6??? IMO, doesn't compare.
Well, I did what I said I would do today and am waiting for a response to the ultimatum of VIN, factory order date with anticipated delivery, or confirmation of dealer trade by the end of the week, from my dealer.

Also test-drove the Mazda 6 and unfortunately, or fortunately, I guess it depends on how you look at it, I agree with your statement that it just does not compare to the TSX. To confirm this, I test drove a TSX again directly after doing so with the Mazda. The TSX has a much more luxurious feel, is quicker off the line, has greater acceleration, holds through the corners better, has more "gee wiz" features and is generally more fun to drive.

These statements were concurred in by both my wife and 16-year old son. He, of course, cannot understand why I just don't go and buy the RX-8, G35, 350Z, or other sports car since he does not see the "sportiness" of a 4-door sedan. But even he hesitated after I let him test drive it for a while.

So, I guess I just wait and see how my dealer responds since I am now stuck at home with the flu!

Although I would consider a TL, it just does not seem to be worth the extra $ when compared to the TSX and when you are spending this amount of money, you don't want to compromise.

So I will keep my hopes up and see what happens in the next few days. I will let you all know how this turns out.

Thanks for the advice and I look forward to continuing to participate in this forum for a long time to come.

Oh, how about that BIG WIN by my TERPS over the hated DUKIES. I bet that really stuck in the craw of "Dukie" Vitale.

Quick Reply: Wait is killing me