Volvo T5 vs TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004 | 04:03 PM
Cruisin'

Volvo T5 vs TSX

undefinedundefined

Hello,

I am a new comer to this forum. I have a 2000 VW Jetta VR6. And am in the market for a new car and have been test driving new cars.

G35 Coupe
Volvo T5
TSX
to name a few. I love the G35 coupe, but after test driving in North Est. I don't belive this would be a good car (snow) low clearance etc.

T5 volvo is a good car, I do not like the dash light (green - for old people)

TXS is a great car - I am a bit hesitant since i never had a 4 cy. car before.

Please adivse how your experice has been so far.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2004 | 04:08 PM
Team Owner

Don't let the 4-cylinder fool you because this car is as good as many 6-cylinders and ages ahead of the engines in the Volvo. I'm assuming you're talking about the S40T5, which is an okay car, but prices up kinda high for what you get. Plus, during my test drive of it, I was never too impressed with the handling compared to my TSX.

The G35 might be a little low, but with a set of winter tires, you shouldn't have to worry about it being RWD.

Just go with what will give you the fewest regrets. The last thing you want is to regret a purchase of this size.
Old 12-22-2004 | 04:18 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

sound advice. I wouldn't go w/ the volvo under any circumstances. Take g35 if you want the power and can live w/ it through the winter, plus have a ton of dough. In the end the TSX is always the best overall package compared to anything in its class :w00t:
Old 12-22-2004 | 04:25 PM
I NEED MONEY!

GET THE TSX...you wont regret it...
Old 12-22-2004 | 04:28 PM
bleh...

When I drove the Volvo S40 T5 I was impressed with the acceleration and power, its much better than my TSX in these two things. The handling is slightly better on the TSX, but not by much from what I observed. I drove the S40 T5 at a Volvo driving event and tore that car apart on the track and I also went to a dealer over the summer and drove one again. I like the styling of the S40.

The G35 is impressive, its engine is amazing and its RWD! G35x oohhh!!!
Old 12-22-2004 | 04:34 PM
Instructor

i test drove both.the s40 t5 is a great car.handles almost aswell as the tsx and has a good motor with v8 like torque.only problem with the volvo is the price,Its very expensive compared to the tsx.If your looking an s40 t5 with a similar level of trim as the tsx you may as well be comparing it with the tl or legacy gt limited.
Old 12-22-2004 | 04:34 PM
Baka Unco

Umm. . . why is this in the Photo Gallery?

G35 has a form of traction control that should help to keep car manageable during the winter. . . TSX handles quite adeptly. No experience with the Volvo.
Old 12-22-2004 | 04:37 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by corbs
Umm. . . why is this in the Photo Gallery?
Damn fine question.

Havn't test drove a Volvo so no comment.
Old 12-22-2004 | 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ABP-CL9-TSX
When I drove the Volvo S40 T5 I was impressed with the acceleration and power, its much better than my TSX in these two things. The handling is slightly better on the TSX, but not by much from what I observed. I drove the S40 T5 at a Volvo driving event and tore that car apart on the track and I also went to a dealer over the summer and drove one again. I like the styling of the S40.

The G35 is impressive, its engine is amazing and its RWD! G35x oohhh!!!
yeah I totally dig the T5 styling...has this sophisticated, euro air yet sporty.
but made in Holland...
Old 12-22-2004 | 05:22 PM
UK Spec

ur list is really good....

i won't mind any of them...

if money no issue, get G35C

and i really like the T5 as well, and if i would get it i'd get all the packages avil hence
it's in the G35C price range as well...
Old 12-22-2004 | 06:02 PM
6MT Snob

I drove the T5 at the volvo experience thing and got to beat on it pretty good and I think the TSX corners/handles better. The steering feel was a bit strange, while I find the TSX to always be linear and direct.

My only complaint about the TSX"s handling is that once in awhile when you are going on a highway exit at highway speeds and go over an expansion joint while in a turn you get a bit of a kick back in the steering wheel.

But i found the shifter on the Volvo to be rubbery feeling..

But if you are looking at Auto then thats not really an issue, and if you dont drive super agressivly, the volvo is safer and has a smoother ride. So if your main need is comfort i would go with the volvo, if you like to have fun when you drive even though you are driving a 4 door, then get the tsx.
Old 12-22-2004 | 06:27 PM
Not an Ashtray

Consumer Reports claimed the Volvo has a much stiffer ride than the TSX.

BTW, what is the basis for your conclusion that the Volvo is safer? I know Volvo has a good rep in that area but this vehicle is essentially a modified Mazda3 and it unlikely that it will do a lot better in the crash tests than the TSX.
Old 12-22-2004 | 07:12 PM
6MT Snob

Originally Posted by darth62
Consumer Reports claimed the Volvo has a much stiffer ride than the TSX.

BTW, what is the basis for your conclusion that the Volvo is safer? I know Volvo has a good rep in that area but this vehicle is essentially a modified Mazda3 and it unlikely that it will do a lot better in the crash tests than the TSX.
When I went to the Volvo experience they showed the various materials used in the cross members in the doors and the ones they had in the Volvo were virtually indestructible, they also have made it so the engine slides down and under in a major frontal collision. They also use something called "Deformation Zones" where they use 4 separate times of metal in the cars frame that gets progressively stronger the closer you get to the passenger compartment. It as built in whiplash protection that angles the headrest immediately in a crash to provide maximum support to your head and neck... The TSX is by no means an unsafe car, however the Volvo S40 is a safe car. http://www.allnews40.com/

The TSX is a very safe car, it received a "best pick" from the Insurance Institute for highway safety for frontal impact, it received a five star safety rating from NHTSA

So while the S40 is based on the same "platform" the materials used in the structure of the body are completly different.

And to top that the Mazda 3 recieved a best pick from IIHS this year.

But you know what... Just for giggles I looked it up on automtotive.com the the TSX actually scores higher for drivers side impacts and the volvo scores higher on rear occupant ratings....

So thats good news for our us TSX owners, even with all of Volvo's cool safety stuff our lil Honda stacks up quite welll!

http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/volvo/s40/safety/
http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/ac...ety/index.html

here they are with pics
2004 tsx
http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0405.htm
2004 G35
http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0307.htm
2004.5 S40
http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0414.htm
Old 12-22-2004 | 07:39 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

We actually got our car at Motocars Acura-Volvo!

So we drove them both back to back...

The TSX for the money was so much more car. The volvo felt cheap, the interior was small and the trunk had a very-very small opening in my opinion.

You had to pay alot more money to get the Volvo to TSX spec IMO. I felt the fit and finish of the TSX was better.

And to prove it wasn't all money, I get Ford X-plan discount on Volvos....it just felt to small for the money. It just wasn't the car the TSX was.
Old 12-22-2004 | 08:05 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by gfxdave99
When I went to the Volvo experience they showed the various materials used in the cross members in the doors and the ones they had in the Volvo were virtually indestructible, they also have made it so the engine slides down and under in a major frontal collision. They also use something called "Deformation Zones" where they use 4 separate times of metal in the cars frame that gets progressively stronger the closer you get to the passenger compartment. It as built in whiplash protection that angles the headrest immediately in a crash to provide maximum support to your head and neck... The TSX is by no means an unsafe car, however the Volvo S40 is a safe car.
I have to say that I admire the thoughtfulness of your post. You're not just making assumptions, you actually looked into it! You are always a very informed poster.
Old 12-22-2004 | 08:41 PM
Advanced

As noted above, the S40 is based on the Mazda M3 chassis, shared by the Ford Focus. The M3 is a whole lot less money....
Nothing beats Honda/Acura reliability, another important issue. Being stranded on the side of the road is a safety issue. I'm impressed with all aspects of crash testing in the TSX, except for the recent rear-end collision test in which the headrests did not perform as well as on Volvo.
Old 12-22-2004 | 08:51 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Greatest Safety feature we could implement for cars in the North America...

Better F**king drivers!! better standards and more training with regular testing.

I'm sorry I'll take a drivers test every couple of years...if you can't pass one of our shi1t easy driving exams in this country get the F*** off the road.

I had to ride in the car with my boss the other day and he about put his bumper in the trunk of every car we were behind. How's about some curtesy room dip Sh1t?

He's an accedent waiting to happen....and that's just one example.

Not that I'm perfect but I'm like all Americans the one thing we all have in common we are all think we are above average drivers?

Old 12-22-2004 | 09:12 PM
Master Graphic Artist

:wtf: ??
Old 12-23-2004 | 10:43 AM
Instructor

I test drove the Volvo and didn't care of the interior styling, plus felt more comfortable in the TSX. A lot of people here like the G35 due to it's power, styling and rwd. Personally, i don't like it because the interior is crap. The interior of the G35 is all cheap plastics, plus have a friend that has one and the dash rattles so much it's ridiculous. If Nissan/Infinity were to improve their interiors their cars would be awesome. The reason I went with the TSX is because the interior is very nice, very comfortable, reliable, handles great for a fwd car, plus I like the looks of the car itself. You need to go drive all the cars again and decide for yourself cause ultimately, you'll be the one driving the car, not us.
Old 12-23-2004 | 10:47 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MrChad

Better F**king drivers!! better standards and more training with regular testing.

I'm sorry I'll take a drivers test every couple of years...if you can't pass one of our shi1t easy driving exams in this country get the F*** off the road.

I had to ride in the car with my boss the other day and he about put his bumper in the trunk of every car we were behind. How's about some curtesy room dip Sh1t?

Not that I'm perfect but I'm like all Americans the one thing we all have in common we are all think we are above average drivers?

I'll drink to that. I've been saying this since I got my own license and realized how much of a joke it was.
Old 12-23-2004 | 11:06 AM
Intermediate

Picked up my TSX in August, and the Vovlo S40 was the other strong contender I was looking at. For me it basically came down to cost. I personally prefer the interior of the Volvo, but the TSX is a close second. When it came time to deal the Acura dealer was willing to drop and the Vovlo dealer didn't move a cent. When you throw in heated seats, moonroof, and a few other options, the price difference is huge. It probably didn't help that the new S40 had just come out. I suspect with the competetion out there you might be able to get the S40 at a more competetive price now.

Just my
Old 12-23-2004 | 11:28 AM
Cruisin'

Thank you everyone for your valued opinions. I know its going to be a tough decision.

The price for G35 coupe is not of a concern, however, I do going skiing a lot in winter and I know that car is going to get stuck in the snow in Vermont The ride is also bit harsh in my opinion and does not handles the pot holes we have here in north east.

I did not had any problems with the way the T5 handled, I like the styling but I do not like the "green dash back lights"

I also test drove the Audi A4 1.8 T, love the style but was disappointed in the engine, the good news is that the next generation A4 have more HP, but from the pictures I am bit reluctant about the style, perhaps in person its better.

I guess I will have to wait and see, also wanted to see how the new BMW 3 will be as they are coming with the car next year.

I am going to be patient and want to make the right decision.

I love TSX's styling, I like sharp angles. I had hoped the car would come with more power.
Old 12-23-2004 | 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Get the TSX.

Volvo = Ford

Old 12-23-2004 | 11:52 AM
UK Accord Type-S

the weird steering feel that you sense is not your imaginations....neither is the rubbery type shifter feel....it seems to be what the european type market car are like.

The strange steering is attributed to the electric/hyraulic power steering.....they seem to like this a lot in europe cars at the moment. it does indeed feel very starnge and takes away a lot of steering feel
Old 12-23-2004 | 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrChad

did you say something to the focker boss ?
Old 12-23-2004 | 05:51 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by matelot
did you say something to the focker boss ?
First off he isn't a f**cker...I just didn't care for his driving.

2nd, I don't tell anyone how to drive while they are driving...how would you like it?
Old 12-24-2004 | 12:57 AM
6MT Snob

Originally Posted by newbie75
I love TSX's styling, I like sharp angles. I had hoped the car would come with more power.
Two things..

One if you get the TSX you automatically become part of a cool community

Two, I think the TSX's power is fine. If you are all about 0-60 and quarter mile times you're looking at the wrong car anyway. There is always plenty of power to dip into when you need to downshift to pass, accelrate on the highway, scare your friends etc.. The only thing you would be missing compared to a six is that initial PUSH you get off the line because of a v6's torque.

But this car comfortably cruises at 80-100 on the highway and always has plenty of power to pass.. just another

But on another note, the new 3 series looks nice but you are going to be looking at $40+ most likely to get it with all the things that come standard on the TSX..