Vibration When Braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration When Braking

Hey guys,

New here and pretty much new to the Acura world (coming from Euro).

Anyway, several days ago I purchased an 08 TSX from a dealer (I think it was a trade in). The car drove fine when I took it for a test drive so I decided to purchase it.

Long story short, the more I drive the car (in the past 2 days) the more I realize the steering wheel vibrates under braking when I go 40+ MPH. I did some searches online and it turned out that this is a common problem for Acuras and replacing with Brembo rotors are recommended.

My question is, does Acura have this under warranty (the car has 38,000 miles)? Or if any of you has any experience with buying used cars, will the dealership I bought it from (if I come back complaining about the vibration) will cover this under warranty since I bought it several days ago.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
The car has the original warranty from the factory - 4yr/50K miles. I've read members getting their rotors resurfaced under the warranty, however this is a temporary fix. Some say it's not the rotors but the pads causing build up on the rotors. Yes, Brembo OEM replacements is an option, but so are many other aftermarket rotors / pads. What ever fits your budget.

I too had steering wheel vibrations under heavy braking, which resolved with aftermarket rotors/pads. I too went with Brembo rotors and Hawk pads, but my current set-up is rotors are Centric and pads are Akebono.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yep. take back to the dealer. its a pretty common problem. i had my rotors resurfaced and got new oem brake pads all for free under warranty... haven't had the shakes since. i reckon i'd do it again if it happens again and i still have warranty left; its free after all!

if not, i'm probably going to go racingbrake UP slotted rotors and hawk pads...
Old 01-06-2011, 12:37 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Welcome, stretch!

You are suffering from warped rotor syndrome which is a common ailment of Acura vehicles. Resurfacing them does fix this, but the chances of them warping again increases due to the heat generated from braking being distributed over a thinner rotor.

Even factory Acura Brembo rotors suffer the same fate. Once you're out of warranty, I'd advise you to go with an aftermarket set of rotors.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Welcome, stretch!

Once you're out of warranty, I'd advise you to go with an aftermarket set of rotors.
And pads!

The OP may want to take the rotor screws off and have the rotors turned before resurfacing them. It has helped one person on the Accord forums.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Racer

I am having the same issue. What are good aftermarket rotors and brakes to use? Brembo rotors were mentioned. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Using Brembo blanks and Hawk Ceramic...no problems...basic cheap fix
Old 01-07-2011, 10:01 PM
8th Gear

I've got the same issue but I only notice if braking under high speeds (70+). I have an 08 as well and it's still in warranty so I'll probably call my service advisor and see if they'll cover replacing the rotors. I've had this problem before with other vehicles and have been told if your rotors are hot and get hit with water, like washing the wheels, it will warp them. Makes sense I guess.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
The quick change in temperature would probably cause some warping.

If you're under warranty, just try and do your best to get new rotors, as opposed to having your original ones resurfaced.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Cruisin'

I have done two brake jobs on my TSX in the last 4-5 years and did not have a problem with the standard Autozone rotors and lifetime warranty pads. Only at the end of their life did they start to warp and give me vibration. I've never bought more expensive rotors for a car before, but thats only because i've never had a problem with them, so i can not speak for the high end / better quality rotors. I do believe you get what you pay for when it comes to replacement parts.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Welcome!

FWIW, I have the original OEM rotors paired with Hawk HPS pads.

I wouldn't purchase them again because of the ammount of brake dust they produce (my fault, didn't research this bit, and since I do so much driving I never have clean rims) and over time they've developed quite the brake squeal.

However, when I had OEM pads I had this problem. After installing the Hawk HPS pads WITHOUT turning/resurfacing my OEM rotors, no more vibration when braking. Even 50k miles later, no vibration.

This confirms, at least in my situation, that the vibration was caused by brake material build-up and not warped rotors.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by thunder04
Welcome!

FWIW, I have the original OEM rotors paired with Hawk HPS pads.

I wouldn't purchase them again because of the ammount of brake dust they produce (my fault, didn't research this bit, and since I do so much driving I never have clean rims) and over time they've developed quite the brake squeal.

However, when I had OEM pads I had this problem. After installing the Hawk HPS pads WITHOUT turning/resurfacing my OEM rotors, no more vibration when braking. Even 50k miles later, no vibration.

This confirms, at least in my situation, that the vibration was caused by brake material build-up and not warped rotors.
I would second this, and I urge all with a vibration problem to try cleaning off the rotors/pads first...... before jumping to the conclusion that it's one or more warped rotors. I'm convinced that pad build up is a very under reported problem..... mainy because once one or more warped rotors are suspected, they're replaced (usually with new pads too) and any evidence of pad build up is gone. This is an easy (and free) fix to try first...... before hundreds are spent on new brake parts, and/or before the rotors are resurfaced (which also removes any pad build on the rotors).