Vibration Issue (Problem not solved....help appreciated)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 09:15 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Vibration Issue (Problem not solved....help appreciated)

After dealing with the dreaded TSX vibration for some time, it is finally over. I would like share what fixed the issue in order to possibly help someone who may have the same issue.

I started off by replacing both driver's side and passenger side axles (cardone) which reduced vibrations to an extent. Unfortunately I was still getting vibrations within the 1500-2000 rpm range. Anything under over that rpm range and it was fine.

After researching this issue, it seemed the only fix for this was to either buy a new OEM passenger side axle, and or the helltoe inner joint kit. The kit will only work on an OEM axle..which I didn't have. Apparently aftermarket axles wouldn't remedy this issue no matter how times it was replaced.

After more research, I noticed that some people had remedied the issue by replacing the half shaft (intermediate shaft) bearing. I forget the name of the poster on here, but he mentioned that replacing with OEM axles didn't solve the vibration issues. The fix was replacing the half shaft bearing.

I didn't want to drop hundred of dollars on a OEM axle from majestic as a shot in the dark fix, so I finally got my mechanic to replace the bearing. He had to get the bearing from Acura though. The cost was more than reasonable compared to going the axle route or taking it to the stealership.

Have you ever driven on a logging road for a long time and then hit pavement? That's what its like for me to drive this car now haha. What a difference! I can hold the rpm within 1500-2000 range and it's smooth as butter. I got so used to the old vibration that I swear I feel it, when really it's just an uneven part of the road. Glad that this has been dealt with once and for all.

The following users liked this post:
Reorge (07-20-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Well it pains me to type this, but the vibration is back. The only good thing is that the vibration doesn't occur as frequently and abruptly as before.

Guess I'll try replacing the passenger side axle with an OEM one and see how that goes.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:58 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
usually, OEM is the way to go!
hope you get it solved! (hehe!)
Old 08-22-2020, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Agreed. Acura wants $1000 (CAD) for one up here, so I plan to eventually get one from an American OEM parts supplier.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,188 Likes on 893 Posts
Buy low mileage used OEM axles on eBay. They're usually cheap.

Then clean and rebuild the inner joints with Redline CV2 grease.

You may want to re-replace your carrier bearing for safe measure.

All that stuff should be done at one time. A worn bearing can wear your axles. And worn axles can wear the bearing. A viscous cycle indeed.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:39 PM
Advanced

I don't have the know-how to rebuild an axle. Even if I could, my shop wouldn't install a used part. I'll just live with it for now.

Thanks for the advice.