Very strange electrical issues on 2006 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very strange electrical issues on 2006 TSX

I just bought my 2006 from a Honda dealer about 2 weeks ago and I love it. This is definitely not my first Honda, BTW.

The car came with a clean carfax, VIN tagged body panels, and is in awesome condition overall.

I have a couple of weird electrical issues, however:

-Sometimes I will jump in the car and try to start it. It will just crank and crank and crank. I will then turn the car all the way off, and crank it again and it will start right up like normal. After this...it will ask me for my NAV code. The radio does not ask me for a code when this happens. It's done this like 3-4 times now.

-My airbag warning light will randomly come on. It says "check airbag system". This only happens sometimes. Most of the time it will stay off. Is there a way to pull codes? I found a way to reset the light without having a Honda scan tool...but didn't know if there was a way to flash codes without the scan tool.

I checked my battery terminals and they're free of corrosion and tight. Has this happened to other people?

The only thing that I can say is that when I bought the car, I had them do an oil change on it. They tried (and failed) re-setting the oil change light by unplugging the battery. WTF kind of Honda dealer doesn't know how to re-set their own light?! I reset the oil light by myself once I got home (again...not my first Honda).

The car does have a warranty....but only on lubricated powertrain items. So I'm kinda flying solo on this.

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a recent recall for TSX in regards to the ECU and corrosion. You should find out if that recall has been performed. It's possible that your ecu has a bit of corrosion on it causing it to have a bad connection at random times.

also check to make sure that you put the battery cable back on properly.

Otherwise I would check the battery and alternator to make sure that they are still in good condition and puttig out enough power.

On the oilchange reset light, Acuras are different than Hondas. They probably don't reset the oil light the same way. I would assume that most honda dealers don't work on very many Acura vehicles and vice versa.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks. I did stumble on the info about the ECU recall for corrosion on TSXes. So that did cross my mind.

As far as the reset procedure...it's the same as a similar model year Honda. Select the oil life. Hold down the button to reset. Select "reset" when the prompt pops up. I didn't need to open the manual to figure that out as I've do the oil changes on my S2000 and other Hondas. Roughly the same procedure. Acuras are pretty much the same as Hondas in terms of repair/maintenance procedures. A Honda dealer should have no problems working on an Acura.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like a battery issue to me. Put a voltmeter on the terminals when cranking and see what the voltage drops down to.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I would say a battery issue as well, low voltage may cause the airbag light to come on occasionally.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I replaced the battery in my wife's '08 TSX in May 2012 - had to do it again last weekend due to a bad cell. Battery is the first to check. I had to enter the Nav code but no radio code - I guess due to radio being part of the Nav console.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Did you check the connection on the negative, (ground) battery cable? My 06 TSX had the problem you're describing...and the dealer replaced the alternator & airbag, and ran several tests, all under CPO warranty. Nothing worked.

I read about the issue online and discovered the negative battery cable fix. Checked mine and sure enough it had a little corrosion on the end attached to the car, (not the battery terminal). I replaced it with a new $7 cable from the auto parts store and that fixed it! No problems in the two years since.