Use the Navi as a screen for a PC

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:09 PM
¿ʇı sı ʇɐɥʍ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use the Navi as a screen for a PC

I did some searching on here and couldn't find too much info about putting a PC in my car and using my navi screen to control it that's currently installed. I know RogerPodacter did something like this, but his picture aren't working so I'm kinda stuck. Anyone know anything about this concept and how hard it would be?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:13 PM
¿ʇı sı ʇɐɥʍ

so i found a post about the navi...

"there are only 60 touch points on the screen total. If you didnt know, the screen is NOT resistive matrix like a common touchscreen computer or PDA but instead a series of 10 lasers on the top and 6 on the side. Position is computed by which X axis and Y axis laser you are blocking at the same time."

this was posted in 2002, im wondering if its the same for the 2004 nav screens.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You can install a car PC, but you can't use the navi to control it. You'll need to use some other method (maybe a bluetooth device?)

One forum member has been working on decrypting the signals from the navi's data bus. As far as I know, there's been some progress over the last few months, but only a couple of people are helping with the project (located at sourceforge I believe). The member has somewhat limited functionality...but I don't believe the code is available to the public (probably only activated one part of the screen or something).
Old 04-26-2008, 11:51 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by theanomaly
so i found a post about the navi...

"there are only 60 touch points on the screen total. If you didnt know, the screen is NOT resistive matrix like a common touchscreen computer or PDA but instead a series of 10 lasers on the top and 6 on the side. Position is computed by which X axis and Y axis laser you are blocking at the same time."

this was posted in 2002, im wondering if its the same for the 2004 nav screens.
I forgot which thread I read it in, but the 04+ screens have a touch sensitive membrane over them and doesn't use infrared. It's only programed to recognize certain points though.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:06 AM
¿ʇı sı ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by zguy95135
I forgot which thread I read it in, but the 04+ screens have a touch sensitive membrane over them and doesn't use infrared. It's only programed to recognize certain points though.
oh, word. yea i was thinking of just putting a ball mouse or even a touchpad mouse somewhere where its flush with its surroundings.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:11 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theanomaly
oh, word. yea i was thinking of just putting a ball mouse or even a touchpad mouse somewhere where its flush with its surroundings.

flush touch pad sounds very nice =). and should be pretty easy to furnish up.. i saw the commander thing. that they use for architecture.. added. that was pretty sweet but $$
Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by zguy95135
The method of input isn't what's difficult, it's the interpretation of the data. Touching the touchpad all over won't change the fact that we don't fully understand the data that's being produced from the touches. For example, if you asked me for a favor to tell your Chinese boss that you're running late to a vital meaning, and I decide to tell your boss your message in spanish...you may not have your job tomorrow morning.

By 04+, are you just referring to 04/05 only? Otherwise, 04+ implies 04 to 08 (entire generation). In any event, if the 04/05's were cracked, we would see more car PC threads.

I'm going to do a car PC eventually...but I'd rather have it navi-controlled.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:17 AM
¿ʇı sı ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
The method of input isn't what's difficult, it's the interpretation of the data. Touching the touchpad all over won't change the fact that we don't fully understand the data that's being produced from the touches. For example, if you asked me for a favor to tell your Chinese boss that you're running late to a vital meaning, and I decide to tell your boss your message in spanish...you may not have your job tomorrow morning.

By 04+, are you just referring to 04/05 only? Otherwise, 04+ implies 04 to 08 (entire generation). In any event, if the 04/05's were cracked, we would see more car PC threads.

I'm going to do a car PC eventually...but I'd rather have it navi-controlled.
no i understand what you mean, i was just going to use the touchpad when i switched to the computer, and then for navi etc, use the touchscreen still. i have an 04, just that. yea i've been toying with the idea of a PC for a while, but never had the money/time. now that summer's coming, ill have both
Old 09-23-2008, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

So.. is there a way to adapt a usb controller to the infrared (IR)touch panel that is in my 05 MDX and other Acuras? I taken apart my Navi screen, stripped to the last screw. I was looking to adapt a USB controller to the touch screen and found it to be more complicated that I thought. My Navi features a IR touch panel and not a 4 or 5-wire resistive touch screen. I dont know if this can evern be done. I've seen people use USB controllers (4-wire, 5-wire) on their stock navi screen, but I've never seen anyone tackle hacking the IR touch function. Any help guys? Adding a USB contoller to the stock Navi Screen would be the best way to go if you want to install a Carpc / Carputer and keep the "dash" looking stock. All one would need then is a VGA to RGB converter to get the PC to display on the Stock screen.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I think this idea presumes that the touch screen has a touch-resolution similar to a touchpad or something, rather than pre-programmed "recognition" areas corresponding to where buttons in the software would be.

Using Windows or Mac with a device like the latter would be frustrating.

Now ... if it's 800x600 and you could use it as a second VGA monitor ... that could be nice.