TWO Tires Slashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 09:32 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
TWO Tires Slashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are these people in this world that think it is funny to vandalize other peoples shit!!!

At a nice restaraunt tonight both tires on the passenger side of my TSX were slashed. Me and my girl came out and started driving. After 20ft i knew something wasnt right. Now i have to buy two new tires tomorrow on a Sunday. I put on the spare and used another spare from her Altima, so i was able to get the car home. First a deer and now this.

Can anyone give me the exact specs on the tires? I dont know exactly what to buy.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to hear that...by the way what was the restaraunt?
Old 09-20-2003, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

look at the 2 remaining tires for the spec... R17 something ...
Old 09-20-2003, 10:15 PM
Advanced

sorry to hear that dude, those are some expensive tires. I hope those vandals burn in hell!!!!!!!!!!:flamer:
Old 09-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Registered AssHat

The tires will be Michelin MXM4 215/50/R17 tires.

Try TireRack.com for good stats.

Because of the high price of the OEM tires, I would suggest replacing all four (or maybe just two) with higher quality, but cheaper ones and end up spending the same or less money.

My personal recommendation would be a set of Pirelli PZero Nero M&S in 225/45/17 for good all-seasons or Yoko AVS ES100 for summer-only tires if you get winter tires for wonder PA snow.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:36 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Thanks for the advice, Lung.

The restaraunt was JB Dawsons near Langehorn, next to the Genardis (sp?).
Old 09-20-2003, 11:16 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

I know what you feel. I just to stolen around 30 CDs from my car while I was at the opera this evening... No big deal in $$ but a piss off anyway. I probably had something like $700 in CDs + a pair of sunglasses. I can't get anything from my insurance since I have a deductible of $1000.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:11 AM
More On

Yeah. Right away when I just saw the name of the thread, my first thought was, "First the deer and now this."

I would have thought the people were pretty civilized out by you.

BTW -- Lung, or anybody: Any disadvantages of the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S compared to the stock? (And also, pardon my ignorance, what does "M&S" stand for?)
Old 09-21-2003, 12:14 AM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Mud and Snow
Old 09-21-2003, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by larchmont
Yeah. Right away when I just saw the name of the thread, my first thought was, "First the deer and now this."

BTW -- Lung, or anybody: Any disadvantages of the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S compared to the stock? (And also, pardon my ignorance, what does "M&S" stand for?)
I would have thought the same as you Larch....
M+S stands for mud and snow. As far as the advantages or lack of, I am awaiting an answer same as you.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

i had the Falken GRB FK451's
awesome tires. very sticky. highly recommended
Old 09-21-2003, 07:05 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

A New Yorker thinks that Philadelphians (or Philly suburbanites) are civilized?? You must not be a sports fan Larch

Sorry to hear about your plight RP. I agree with Lung - at least it's an excuse for 4 new sticky tires.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:06 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by lgregoir
I know what you feel. I just to stolen around 30 CDs from my car while I was at the opera this evening... No big deal in $$ but a piss off anyway. I probably had something like $700 in CDs + a pair of sunglasses. I can't get anything from my insurance since I have a deductible of $1000.
legregoir- even if your deductible was $250, I wouldn't claim it. It would raise your "hazardness" profile in their opinion, and that's all we are to insurance companies - a potential liability
Old 09-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Instructor

This is one of the reasons why I only take "burned" cds in the car. You never know when they'll go walkies, even at a dealership or car wash. (The second reason is that I tend to be fairly careless with them.) I own legal copies, just keep them safe at home.

Also you would probably find that it wouldn't cost you that much more on your insurance to lower your comprehensive deductible to 250, while leaving your collision high. Of course as pointed out, that doesn't necessarily mean you would claim. While comprehensive claims don't "count against you", any claim you make is taken into account by the underwriters when they decide to continue to insure you.

C.

PS Roger, I'm bummed for you.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by chrisalberts
This is one of the reasons why I only take "burned" cds in the car. You never know when they'll go walkies, even at a dealership or car wash. (The second reason is that I tend to be fairly careless with them.) I own legal copies, just keep them safe at home.

Also you would probably find that it wouldn't cost you that much more on your insurance to lower your comprehensive deductible to 250, while leaving your collision high. Of course as pointed out, that doesn't necessarily mean you would claim. While comprehensive claims don't "count against you", any claim you make is taken into account by the underwriters when they decide to continue to insure you.

C.

PS Roger, I'm bummed for you.
FYI

this type of theft is NEVER covered under auto. it is personal property and it is always covered under homeowners or a renters insurance policy.
he probly has a 1000 deductible because 1000 is typical on most homeowners policies.
many people get pissed at their insurance companies because theft of items from a car are not covered under auto insurance. the fact of the matter is auto insurance only coveres the AUTO nothing more nothing less. CD's, a camera, clothes, and in some cases stereo systems not installed in factory locations are all considered to be personal property.
on any homeowners policy personal property is covered at or away from home anywhere in the world.

i was referring to this quote

Old 09-21-2003, 10:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by jcg878
legregoir- even if your deductible was $250, I wouldn't claim it. It would raise your "hazardness" profile in their opinion, and that's all we are to insurance companies - a potential liability
being an insurance agent i would say this is good advise. you will get a hit on your CLUE report if you claim it.
since you would have to claim it under homeowners insurance and theft and fire are the 2 worts possible things you would ever want to have on your CLUE report.
a theft or fire claim is looked at with just as much concern as a DUI on a driving record.
even if the claim is for only a few dollars if a theft claim gets turned in on your CLUE your insurance company may quite possibly drop your coverage.
i know it doesnt seem fair but that is the way the game is played. with our poor economey and many things happening in the insurance industry these days beginning with Sept 11 you will find that all insurance companies are raising rates and lowering risk. if you look to an insurance company like you pose a risk to them they will most likely drop your coverage or raise your rates significantly.
bottom line choose your claims wisely. dicide if you make the claim is it worth your risk of loosing your coverage.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:31 AM
More On

Originally posted by jcg878
A New Yorker thinks that Philadelphians (or Philly suburbanites) are civilized?? You must not be a sports fan Larch ....
I know you're kidding, but.... I didn't know this was anywhere near Philly! (It's GEOGRAPHY that I don't know about.)

Yeah, what is it with Philly fans? I remember the Mitch Williams stuff, and I heard the recent thing about that visiting player whose son had died, can't remember who. (I bet someone can tell us real fast though?)
Old 09-21-2003, 01:54 PM
Registered AssHat

I personally do not have these tires (although these will be the ones I replace the stock ones with when I get the 18" rims.

From what the survey's say at TireRack.com there are two main disadvantages:

1) Slightly harder ride (due to smaller sidewall)
2) Since they are more performance oriented, they are more susceptible to "tramlining". Basically rain grooves will cause the car to try and steer itself. This effect is almost unavoidable the lower profile and sticker you go.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:01 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
FYI

this type of theft is NEVER covered under auto. it is personal property and it is always covered under homeowners or a renters insurance policy.
he probly has a 1000 deductible because 1000 is typical on most homeowners policies.
many people get pissed at their insurance companies because theft of items from a car are not covered under auto insurance. the fact of the matter is auto insurance only coveres the AUTO nothing more nothing less. CD's, a camera, clothes, and in some cases stereo systems not installed in factory locations are all considered to be personal property.
on any homeowners policy personal property is covered at or away from home anywhere in the world.

i was referring to this quote

Bass Mechanic is right. Anything not attached to your car is covered under the Home insurance (as goods temporarily outside of the insured house). I live in an appartment (I rent) but I have a huge coverage for content (no insurance on the appartment, only on what's inside). I'm insured for $125K so in order to lower my insurance rate, I have to keep the deductible over $1000.

On the other hand, my insurance policy I bought is very good. They remove the deductible for any claims over $5000. I guess the insurance company doesn't want you to claim for little things.

Even if I had 100 CDs in the car or would have a $250 deductible, I would not have claimed anythig. I would consider claiming only once I would get at least $3K-$4K. The price of my insurance is high enough like that ($1,250/year only for content) that I would not take a chance claiming small things and get my rates go up.
I would not even declare.

Luc
Old 09-21-2003, 04:17 PM
Racer

That sucks. I swear people are ridiculous nowadays.

Anyways, your best bet is probably to rotate your remaining two good michelins either both to the front or both to the rear, and then get 2 better aftermarket tires to replace the two slashed ones. I just got some Dunlop SP Sport A2's (not for a TSX) and they seem pretty good so far. According to dunloptire.com they do have them in 215/50R17 size, but tirerack didn't have them listed.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:28 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Well thanks again for all of the replies. For now i didnt buy aftermarket, i went with two new stock Michilins. $230 per tire!!!!!!! $206 + balancing etc from NTB=$230. I just spent $500 on two tires. And the tires werent even in stock in my town, had to drive 1/2 hour to get them.

The tires that were suggested i think i had to order online, and i need to have my car for work tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Bass Mechanic is right. Anything not attached to your car is covered under the Home insurance (as goods temporarily outside of the insured house). I live in an appartment (I rent) but I have a huge coverage for content (no insurance on the appartment, only on what's inside). I'm insured for $125K so in order to lower my insurance rate, I have to keep the deductible over $1000.

On the other hand, my insurance policy I bought is very good. They remove the deductible for any claims over $5000. I guess the insurance company doesn't want you to claim for little things.

Even if I had 100 CDs in the car or would have a $250 deductible, I would not have claimed anythig. I would consider claiming only once I would get at least $3K-$4K. The price of my insurance is high enough like that ($1,250/year only for content) that I would not take a chance claiming small things and get my rates go up.
I would not even declare.

Luc
course im right i do this for a living. if any of you guys have any questions on insurance just ask.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:17 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

OK Bass Mechanic, tell me.

Why is that a 03 BmW 325 would cost me around $1850CDN to insure when I pay $993CDN on my TSX for exactly the same coverage??????????????

I know a few reasons but I wonder what's your take on that.

Regards
Old 09-21-2003, 11:32 PM
More On

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
I personally do not have these tires [Pirelli PZero Nero M&S] (although these will be the ones I replace the stock ones with when I get the 18" rims.

From what the survey's say at TireRack.com there are two main disadvantages:

1) Slightly harder ride (due to smaller sidewall)
2) Since they are more performance oriented, they are more susceptible to "tramlining". Basically rain grooves will cause the car to try and steer itself. This effect is almost unavoidable the lower profile and sticker you go.
Thanks for the reply, Dr. Lung.

That means it wouldn't make sense for wusses like me to get those, because my main wish about the car is a slightly SOFTER ride. I love the ride in general, but I wish those occasional "thumps" were softer. And I guess they'd be worse with those Pirelli's.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:46 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Based on the dude that i ran into one time in my office building. He told me that he use to be an insurance claim person. He says that stuff like "subwoofers" generally are covered on some plans as long as it's attached to the car. But um... I'm not about to drill into my floor. I'm not sure about cd's or anything like that. Would a proximity sensor warn people off ? I dont think it would... cause it would be too sensitive. FOr example, if people next to you in the car space next door wanted to get into the car, the alarm would go off... i dunno...
Old 09-22-2003, 12:23 AM
Registered AssHat

Thanks for the reply, Dr. Lung.

That means it wouldn't make sense for wusses like me to get those, because my main wish about the car is a slightly SOFTER ride. I love the ride in general, but I wish those occasional "thumps" were softer. And I guess they'd be worse with those Pirelli's.
Gotcha. Then I would suggest something in the same or greater sidewall height.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:27 PM
Burning Brakes

OK Bass Mechanic, tell me.

Why is that a 03 BmW 325 would cost me around $1850CDN to insure when I pay $993CDN on my TSX for exactly the same coverage??????????????

I know a few reasons but I wonder what's your take on that.

Regards
answer is simple. all cars are rated using at least 2 (bands) they are liability, and property

a dodge ram truck is expensive to insure because of the fact it is tall , heavy and the parts on it are heavy duty. the bands are both high because the bodily injury your likely to cause to someone in an accident while driving it would be more substantial than say a saturn would cause.
also to repair that truck will cost a lot more.
on your BMW exam,ple the car is expensive and therefore will cost more to repair as well as the fact that if totaled might cost more to replace than a TSX. the cost of the car is definitly a factor because to total a car the repairs must exceed or be very near to the replacement cost of the car. if a BMW and a TSX had the exact same accident it will cost more in property damage to repair the BMW than the TSX as well as if the car costs more to repair it also costs more to total or replace depending on the damage.
also if more solidly built it will inflict more damage to the persons in the other car than a TSX will.