Turn off warning bell when lights are still on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010 | 07:25 AM
8th Gear

Turn off warning bell when lights are still on?

I have a 2006 Acura TSX. I have started leaving my headlights on when I get out of the car because they turn off automatically in about 20-30 seconds. However, I would love to turn off that bell ringing that alerts me that my lights are still on when I turn the car off. Does anyone know how to turn off that warning bell? Why do I need to be warned the lights are still on when they are going to turn off automatically in a matter of seconds?

Thank you.
Old 09-15-2010 | 09:16 AM
El Cunado

It could be a regulation of some type. I'm sure there are more, if not just as many, arguments 'for' the beeping in cars where it's not a standard "feature". I know I left my lights on overnight at least once in my '95 Camry and it could have been prevented with a beeping when I was getting out.

It'll probably be in the electrical schematics of the service manual. I'll check it out when I'm home.
Old 09-17-2010 | 08:02 AM
8th Gear

Thank you Gweedo. Did you find anything in the service manual because I haven't been able too. It makes no sense to me to warn me that my lights are still on when in less than 30 seconds, the car is going to turn them off automatically anyway.
Old 09-19-2010 | 11:40 PM
El Cunado

Sorry about the delay.

Page 22-240 of the service manual gives a circuitry diagram of the 'Lights-on, Key-in, Sealt Belt Reminder, Key Light Timer, and Engine Oil Pressue Indicator Systems".

The beeper could be disconnected but it looks like you would be disconnecting it from the 'low engine oil pressure', 'seat belt reminder' and 'lights on' circuit. To do it, you would need to disconnect the white/red wires going into the 'gauge control module'. But, doing this might also disconnect your ability to control your wiper blades.

If you're really set on stopping it. It would probably be best to open the 'gauge control module' and find the beeper to either remove/disconnect/damage it.

From the look of the diagram, it's probably better to let it continue doing its' thing.
Old 09-23-2010 | 11:11 AM
8th Gear

Thank you for your research Gweedo. So I am stuck with the ringy dingy thing. *sigh* Makes no sense to alert me that my lights are still on although you are going to turn them off for me in less than 30 seconds. But hey, what do I know?