tsx vs. wrx

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 02:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tsx vs. wrx

hey just to let everyone know i love my tsx!!! however the hp problem has been getting to me lately. 19 yrs old btw. first off don't slam me by saying i should've known that when i bought it because i won't be trading the tsx. it's actually a compromise because my mother drives a 2002 camry le 4cl so i was thinking of trading that in for a wrx and giving my mother the tsx. the way it should've been from the start my parents spoil me lol... so it comes down to that i'm not expecting the ride quality and interior to be on par with the tsx but is it going to be just as much fun to drive and much quicker? tsx is a blast just not enough power for me. any opinions good or bad appreciated. peace!!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:07 AM
Luke 1:37

My bro has the WRX and he loves driving it, but I'm more for luxury with a splash of performance (but in this case, the TSX is more than a splash of performance). Definitely do what is best for you though. Good Luck!

btw. get a black WRX, Gunmetal BBS Rims, Slanted Exhaust and STi kit.

My brother has compiled pics for people to see various 04-05 WRXs. Check it out: My Bro's 04/05 WRX Gallery
Old 02-08-2005, 07:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Your 19, its only natural to want the fastest car. You'll be back in a TSX type car later on in life. Until then, enjoy the WRX, your only young once.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

boy are you going to be dissapointed!
my friend has a WRX with stage 3 COBB tuning and upgraded turbo.
i am not saying my TSX is faster because it's not. at least at our elevation (6500 feet) but i can tell you stock verses stock its really close. in fact i would be willing to bet that at sealevel the TSX could be faster.
however even with his mods as long as he does a normal launch it still took him till 3rd gear to pass me. the WRX mas mad turbo lag.
not only that the dash is nothing compares to the TSX, the interior is of less quality than a civic and the car gets about 26 MPG on a good day.
my friend would love to trade in for a TSX after owning the suby for the last 2 years. he is admitedly a little addicted to the boost which is understandable but i would sooner put a turbo in the TSX than trade it for a subaru.
if your talking STI thats a little different. still a drab looking car inside and a little ricy on the outside but cost wise. i dont think the value is quite there yet. if you want power get a TL
Old 02-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Advanced

If you haven't tried out a WRX yet, I would do it before you get your heart set on it. I found the turbo lag to be annoying and I didn't like how the interior looked more dated than the 11 year old car I was going to be trading in.

Of course, my priorities are a quite a bit different than when I was 19, so I can understand where you are coming from. I would agree with domn and say that the TSX-type of car is more appropriate later on in life. Get the car that suits you!
Old 02-08-2005, 09:23 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Bass Mechanic
boy are you going to be dissapointed!
my friend has a WRX with stage 3 COBB tuning and upgraded turbo.
i am not saying my TSX is faster because it's not. at least at our elevation (6500 feet) but i can tell you stock verses stock its really close. in fact i would be willing to bet that at sealevel the TSX could be faster.
however even with his mods as long as he does a normal launch it still took him till 3rd gear to pass me. the WRX mas mad turbo lag.
not only that the dash is nothing compares to the TSX, the interior is of less quality than a civic and the car gets about 26 MPG on a good day.
my friend would love to trade in for a TSX after owning the suby for the last 2 years. he is admitedly a little addicted to the boost which is understandable but i would sooner put a turbo in the TSX than trade it for a subaru.
if your talking STI thats a little different. still a drab looking car inside and a little ricy on the outside but cost wise. i dont think the value is quite there yet. if you want power get a TL

I can see it being pretty close but with equal drivers, I can't see the WRX losing off the line because of the AWD. However, i must admit that the WRX is one of the hardest cars to launch...if you mess up there is a MAJOR bog. And yeah the turbo lag sucks. Other than that, the car is a blast to drive..especially in the snow. I'm 24 now and a working professional so i'll be trading in my car this spring for a TSX, something a bit more upscale where power is not that important to me. sucks getting old...
Old 02-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
my impression on the wrx .. i have a TSX.

Transmission sucks. Wayyyy too notchy. Hard to get into gear.
Engine: if you drive hard but stay below 3k rpm .. TSX feels it pulls faster than wrx.
Interior: yea .. no comment here! every one knows that.

Only thing i like about the wrx is their seats. I acutally dont really like tsx seats. Bit too big for me.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
my impression on the wrx .. i have a TSX.

Transmission sucks. Wayyyy too notchy. Hard to get into gear.
Engine: if you drive hard but stay below 3k rpm .. TSX feels it pulls faster than wrx.
Interior: yea .. no comment here! every one knows that.

Only thing i like about the wrx is their seats. I acutally dont really like tsx seats. Bit too big for me.
Yes, wrx transimmion is damn notchy. no fun to drive!
Old 02-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Race Director

I wouldent bother trading it in for a WRX, if u want a faster car, get the STI.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:50 PM
aw1
Pro

also consider the EVO.. perfer that over the subaru
Old 02-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Subie Tech

Originally Posted by blazed54
hey just to let everyone know i love my tsx!!! however the hp problem has been getting to me lately. 19 yrs old btw. first off don't slam me by saying i should've known that when i bought it because i won't be trading the tsx. it's actually a compromise because my mother drives a 2002 camry le 4cl so i was thinking of trading that in for a wrx and giving my mother the tsx. the way it should've been from the start my parents spoil me lol... so it comes down to that i'm not expecting the ride quality and interior to be on par with the tsx but is it going to be just as much fun to drive and much quicker? tsx is a blast just not enough power for me. any opinions good or bad appreciated. peace!!

Haha...I'm with ya on this one. When I turn 25, I should be getting a STi as well since I work for them.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Instructor

I looked at getting a Saab 9-2x before I bought the TSX because I could get it for a song. Even in the Saab with the premium package the car felt very cheap. I know from the test drive that the car would be a kick to drive. I also drove a Legacy 2.5 GT and that would be my choice over the WRX, but it is more money.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by theoryzero
If you haven't tried out a WRX yet, I would do it before you get your heart set on it. I found the turbo lag to be annoying and I didn't like how the interior looked more dated than the 11 year old car I was going to be trading in.

Of course, my priorities are a quite a bit different than when I was 19, so I can understand where you are coming from. I would agree with domn and say that the TSX-type of car is more appropriate later on in life. Get the car that suits you!
I couldn't agree more. My friend lowns and loves his WRX sti, but it was totally not my style. I (and most here) was looking for a good combo of power and luxury. WRX is all speed, no lux. It depends on what you want to do with your car, too. My friend races, I don't.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by virtualbong
btw. get a black WRX, Gunmetal BBS Rims, Slanted Exhaust and STi kit.
Or just buy an Evo
Old 02-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Thats STI gallery

my favorite

Old 02-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Subie Tech

A lot of the guys are right, if you're going to go WRX you might as well go STi. There's really nothing special about WRX for it's price!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Instructor

im planning to get an sti later this year and build it for the track and keep my tsx for the shows.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Drifting

love the car, but couldn't bring myself to buy it because of the headlight design. just like i wouldn't have bought the last gen maxima just because of the tail lights. fugly. i would love to see subaru to bring back the old headlight design.

man, if it had headlights like the tsx too....
Old 02-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I'd definitely go with an Evo over the WRX. It is faster, better looking, and the interior is much nicer. That Evo MR is stupid fast (4.6 sec to 60 and 13 flat in the 1/4 mile!!!). Fast enough to catch some Corvette and Porsche guys by surprise......
Old 02-09-2005, 12:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Personal comparision from a driver or both.

My bro has a 2003 WRX and i have the TSX . he works outta town, so i pick either car (with no preference, other than the ownership value of my car). couple of things i can say off the start is the complete contrast of cars, but the complete enjoyablity of both.

The TSX: i have the comfort, the shifting, the over all regular driving and handlign feel, and the sound system. And the safety! exceptional although i havnt experienced it in a test

The WRX: i like revving up the turbo, without going to the Sti, this is one fast car, my bro has a 3grand + exhaust system (brand i duno), and the Injen CAI. the car sounds amazing, intake, exhaust, turbo. The handling is unique and high quality in all seasons too. your disadvantage would be the cheaper quality of material, not so special sound system, or window seels. you will be losing the butter shifting on the TSX, since it is more of a performance car it differs, he has the short shifter in whcih i like tho.

I dont know what else to say right now, but i would bad talk either car except for some minor problems that all cars could have.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Instructor

Don't forget the "glass tranny" of the non-Sti WRX. My brother (noticed a abundance of in-family TSX/WRX combos hehe) already had his replaced at 12K.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

ive heard of that, but i also heard about the percautions in how to use the clutch. the differnt with the WRX than any other manual ive noticed, and my brother has nagged me so i dont break his shit is:
in a regualr car, as you let the clutch out you put gas in, kind of that perfect petal balance, if ones out the others in.
with the WRX, you rev up to 4000 lets say, clutch in, up gear, and clutch out, ZERO gas. it actually doesnt loose a ton of revs, buts thats how you treat it, once the clutch is clear, you get back on the gas. 00000 tranny issue