TSX vs. Mercedes C230 Kompressor

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX vs. Mercedes C230 Kompressor

Yes, the C230 is a bit more expensive, around 29K, however I'm not sure if that includes that Navi or not, but it's a real close call. Less power, more torque yet smaller engine in the MB which means more milage. The MB handling and stability seems unmatched. Both the TSX and C230 have great resale values and now the C230 has a lease special of $329/mo with $3500 down, which is a bit better deal than the TSX.

Thoughts?
Old 10-11-2004, 11:22 PM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tsx........smaller engine doesn't mean better miliage always...... VSA is awsome in this car i can provide first hand expirences for the tracion control/ stability control, while i have not driven the c230 i suspect that the handeling if not up to par with the tsx. the tsx one of the best compromises in handeling/comfort. i highly doubt the c230 is with navi for 29K while for 29K u get a navi woth the tsx. i think the tsx is faster then the c230 (c&d) did a test comparing these cars with the saab 9-3. use the search feature, someone i think posted the article up. an unoptioned c230 kompressor stick is 29K. add 1750 for sunroof package, 1500 leather, 680 heated seats, 420 6-cd changer, 250 split fold seats, and 2150 if u want navi...... that's a bit more then 29K to match as closely as possible with the tsx, plus 1400 for auto if u want auto....... tsx 6mt navi= 29K, c230 6mt navi= that 35.5K and auto tsx navi= 29K, c230 auto navi = 37K

that's how i see it as.......
Old 10-11-2004, 11:32 PM
A Commuter

Old 10-11-2004, 11:40 PM
pby
Instructor

If money is not the deciding factor, I'd still go with the TSX.

The C-class is the one MB model I do not find appealing. Even the C32.
Of course, that's only my opinion.

Just in case you didn't know, the 2004 models were the last MB offered free maintenance ... I am thinking 4 years but it could have been shorter.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:46 PM
Instructor

I cross shopped the K-coupe in 03, but here's what I learned.

1. After a year, the engine sounded like a lawnmower.
2. The coupe was 25,999...bare bones.... 30k for sunroof and 17's...that's it..no CD player, floormats, HID's, heated seats, yada yada yada.

I loved the coupe design and the MB "status", but was not willing to shell out 1800 clams for a sunroof/headlight washer combo.

The TSX and MB have great resale, but the Acura will suffer 1/10 th the problems in 10 years compared to MB...unless you absolutely baby the MB.

Also consider that C&D absolutely LOVES the TSX...that is rare, unless it's an exotic or a 3 series.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:48 PM
Instructor

lease?

alright, lease .. pymts looks good but look at it... 10k or 12k limit per year and need 3500 down.. it only lower your pymts since u paid upfront. it will not change the buy out price at the end of the lease. 3500 is like 90-100 a month.. i will pay that 100 a month and no down.. and see what's up. i would rather carry a 6 year loan purchase instead of a 3 year lease.. pymt is about the same..
no worry.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:38 AM
Tuxedo Cat

C230 sedan estimated fuel economy is 23/32 manual, 24/32 automatic.

TSX is 22/29 manual, 23/32 automatic. Fairly comparable, giving the MB a slight edge in city driving.

Of course, the MB is measured without a lot of accessories that come standard in the TSX. By the time you're done adding all those accessories and options, you'll add a few hundred pounds of weight to the car, which will probably negate any of the fuel savings. (One sleazy way to get a better EPA estimate is to strip the car down, so it weighs less, but then ship virtually all your cars with some or all of the accessories installed.)

Incidentally, you'd have to add most of the options available for the C230 in order to bring it up to TSX standards. The following are optional:

* HID headlights $790
* Entertainment package (CD changer and "premium sound) $970
* Sunroof package (includes homelink and autodimming mirrors) $1790
* Heated seats $680
* Fold down rear seats $290

* If you're comparing to a navi-equippted TSX, add Nav system $2210

There are a few things available for the C230 that aren't available on the TSX, but for even more money. Memory seats, digital security and communication system and hands free communication system built in. None of them are cheap.

I think the Benz is incredibly overpriced compared to the TSX, or most others in its class. What it comes down to is how much are you willing to spend for the brand name?
Old 10-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Advanced

the c230 kompressor sedan looks pretty good. i think the black one looks better than NHB. And it's probably one of the vehicles that the tsx borrowed ideas from. But i think a MB would suit someone over 30 years old just because it's a benz. Unless you need the *thump* when you close the door, and the logo at the front(and have a lot more money, or is willing to have no options), then get it, but the tsx is the better value and less costly to maintain.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:41 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

I agree with what everyone said above. I crossed shopped the C-class back in April when I was buying cars and let me tell you the performance is definitely not there. The TSX will hand any c-class driver a fine butt kicking in a race, especially on a windy road.

Sure MB has a better rep, but not in reliability, more just in status. A 29k c-class does not even compare with a TSX in respect to features. If you're driving a 29k MB, you minds well just drive a Ford Focus because that thing is not going to have anything luxurious. I would say that any C-class without at least entertainment, sunroof, cold weather packages shouldn't even be in the luxury car class.

Thats just my , so please do not get too offended if you still are in love with the MB.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Instructor

mercedes is trash
Old 10-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I would never buy a Mercedes. Leasing I'd consider, but I don't think the c230K is a superior car to the TSX. It looks nice though (the sedan, that is - the hatch is )
Old 10-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SlayerGTR
mercedes is trash

That's pretty gratuitious. Explain your statement.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:47 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Originally Posted by sauceman

That's pretty gratuitious. Explain your statement.
I agree. I wouldn't call it trash either!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Mercedes makes very nice cars but their quality leaves something to be desired.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Pro

"Unless you need the *thump* when you close the door," - install dynamat in the doors and you get the same thump, and for a lot less money, too!

Mercedes makes some of the best looking cars on the road. And some of the least reliable. They're lucky that there are enough gullible people buying their cars in this period to keep them afloat (and a large parent company). Even Mercedes has acknowledged the quality issues and has made it a high priority - how could they not considering that a Jeep is more reliable and Mercedes ranked 33 of 34 in customer satisfaction in Germany?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yuhoo22
I agree. I wouldn't call it trash either!
A while ago, C&D give this comment on the old C230: "if MB drop in a corolla engine & trandy on its C-class, it will make it more refine and more pleasure to drive!" Actually, I am not agree! IMO, drop in a kia engine is already good enough to improve MB c-class!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The C-class really is a bottom feeding end of the MB line-up. If you're comparing the C-Class to the TSX, just get the TSX and be happy. Don't let the badge fool you because the C-Class is far from a luxury car without options.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ianS
A while ago, C&D give this comment on the old C230: "if MB drop in a corolla engine & trandy on its C-class, it will make it more refine and more pleasure to drive!" Actually, I am not agree! IMO, drop in a kia engine is already good enough to improve MB c-class!

I am not agree with your comments.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Cruisin'

I wouldn't go so far as to call the MB C230K trash.... I cross-shopped the TSX with the C-class last year and thought it was a nice.

The MB definitely has a more attractive exterior, particularly the 2005 which gets the more aggressive C32 AMG bodywork. Something to be said about the greater torque and the feel of rear-wheel drive as well.

But then you begin to notice some of the other things that pretty bodywork and the MB nameplate can't hide...

- The TSX has vastly superior ergonomics... You want to talk about "bitch seats?" try sitting in the back of the MB C-Class.

- TSX feels more nimble and driver friendly (not quite BMW-like but close), even though it's front wheel drive and has a heavily front-end weight distribution bias.

- Acuras are infinitely more reliable (need only to do a google search to uncover numerous forums bemoaning the problems owners have had with late model MBs and the travails they've had to go through in order to get them fixed or returned to the dealer under the lemon law). Am I interested in proudly saying that I own a near-luxury automobile just so that I can drive an MB loaner around 25-30% of the time? Not really.

- TSX has more (useful) features offered standard... you kow how hard it was for me to source out an MB with split rear seats, CD player, and sunroof options only? And there is also the unusual choice of standard features... Why would you put in superfluous items like an electronic rear sunshade as standard and then offer something archaic as a cassette player forcing you to get a glove compartment mounted CD changer if you want a factory CD option?

All in all, for my dollar ($5000 savings versus a similarly equipped C230K), I thought the Acura the better purchase. It depends what's important to you I guess. I wouldn't doubt that the MB looks better and has the brand aura/status going for it, but the Acura gets my vote.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Instructor

C230K is a nice senior citizen sport sedan

I rent these C230Ks (C180) when overseas on business. They're a nice cars. Very solid, no rattles!, Great brakes, decent handling albeit not as crisp as the TSX but they do tend to suck gas when you use that boost which is necessary to get the relatively heavy C class moving. I topped one out at 229km/h (142mp/h) one sunday on the Autobahn so the car definately has cruising potential. The supercharged 4 cylinder has a nice V6 feel to it off the line but at the expense of gas economy.

Car & Driver TV recently reviewed a 2005 230K, and they were somewhat underwhelmed. They basically didn't care for the car's lack of sportiness saying " Considering it says SPORT on the side, We really wanted to drive the C230K like a sport sedan but ...the car wasn't all that willing..."
They also said that the shifter wasn't improved...which is really my only gripe with this car besides the price. The shifter is very rubbery with long throws...but shifts very easily which isn't very sporting but it is most likely what Mercedes's general customer (old people) prefer I guess ....
Anyway, its a nice car, not as sporting as the TSX but definately adequate in that regard. I haven't seen a single one with xenons even though its an option. When I was looking at the C230, I found out that by ordering ala cart and waiting to have it built required an additional surcharge of $1500. , that's when I walked out of of my local Mercedes dealership.....straight to Acura...*