tsx vs maxima vs ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tsx vs maxima vs ???

I know you are all tsx fans, and I love my 4-door gs-r, but I will soon be in the market for a new car, and I am undecided. I looked at the TSX and like it, but my wife wants to look at something that would be more accommodating for our family (2 kids). I am willing to be open minded and my short list includes Acura TSX, Nissan Maxima, Nissan Murano, Toyota Matrix, Honda CR-V. A pretty diverse list. My first choice would be the TSX, but I live in San Diego County, and the local dealer says there is still a several months wait and little discount. What do people think of the other options out there? (I feel like I am asking a bunch of democrats what they think of Fahrenheit 9/11)
Old 07-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Hit me up

haha, well of course everyone is going to say tsx its a tsx board, but the maxima is a big car. The inside looks really nice, especially with the 2 seater in the back with teh orange leather mmm mm. But if your going to spend that much, you should really look into a Acura Tl, I think is msrp is ...32k?? around the same price as a maxima but looks a lot better.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by 4dsc
I know you are all tsx fans, and I love my 4-door gs-r, but I will soon be in the market for a new car, and I am undecided. I looked at the TSX and like it, but my wife wants to look at something that would be more accommodating for our family (2 kids). I am willing to be open minded and my short list includes Acura TSX, Nissan Maxima, Nissan Murano, Toyota Matrix, Honda CR-V. A pretty diverse list. My first choice would be the TSX, but I live in San Diego County, and the local dealer says there is still a several months wait and little discount. What do people think of the other options out there? (I feel like I am asking a bunch of democrats what they think of Fahrenheit 9/11)
Nice comparison (democrats and Fahrenheit 9/11)

Honestly, it comes down to what you want. The TSX is on the small side of the mid-size segment. The TL and maxima are a size up from it. Skip the Matrix and SUVs unless you really need the space. Sporting-wise, the TSX is the best of those. The Maxima has power, but it's a boat to handle. The TL, although slightly more nimble, shows its size and weight. The TSX gives the best handling, but gives up a fair amount of power in the process. So it comes down to what you want in a car.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Don't know if you're open to options outside of what you mentioned, but let me chime in with the Subaru Legacy GT wagon. Hauls plenty o' stuff, an entertaining ride to say the least. 250 HP AWD in case you weren't familiar with it. Test drove one a few nights ago. Were I in your position I would check it out. Safe, practical, fun.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:51 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

How big are your kids? I'd skip it if they are teens or bigger - it will feel small (and probably slow).
Old 07-03-2004, 11:13 PM
The Voice of Reason

Two kids ... you need SPACE! Throw in a dog or two and the TSX will become impossible.

How about the Oddy? It's a Honda, PLUS it will actually beat the automatic TSX at the drag strip!

I'd keep the GSR and buy an Oddy for my wife......

Old 07-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Cruisin'

thanks for the feedback - keep it coming. Is the Suburu Legacy wagon turbo-charged? If so, I am not interested. I had a turbo years ago and I think they take a heavy toll on the longevity of the engine. The kids are 15 and 11. Are you saying the TSX will seem too small for bigger kids? My wife wants a car that is interchangable with her Accord. I know the TSX is slightly smaller. Is the Maxima price comparable to the TL? IF so, then it is out of my price range. I don't know how so many people can afford such expensive cars?!
Old 07-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

thanks for the feedback - keep it coming. Is the Suburu Legacy wagon turbo-charged? If so, I am not interested. I had a turbo years ago and I think they take a heavy toll on the longevity of the engine. The kids are 15 and 11. Are you saying the TSX will seem too small for bigger kids? My wife wants a car that is interchangable with her Accord. I know the TSX is slightly smaller. Is the Maxima price comparable to the TL? IF so, then it is out of my price range. I don't know how so many people can afford such expensive cars?!
IMO, your kids are too big. The TSX won't be comfortable on longer trips compared to the Maxima or TL. I think Maximas are low 30's.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:46 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Maximas come in a ton of different styles and options, so they can start low or range to 32k. Driving wise, I think I'd be happy going from a GSR to a Maxima. I test drove and cross shopped it w/ the TSX, the V6 is nice, but it has torque steer and it handles like a boat. I thought the interior was crap compared to the TSX, the skyview thing isn't as good as a sunroof either.

Do you already have a 4 door accord, have you considered that for a slightly larger rear seat?
Old 07-04-2004, 12:46 AM
Hit me up

TL could go up to mid 30's+
Old 07-04-2004, 05:30 AM
The Voice of Reason

I now have 145,000 miles on my Volvo T5 wagon and the engine still uses absolutely no oil between changes. I don't know what Subaru does, but in the turbos Volvo provides a stronger engine block with iron cylinder liners, a forged crankshaft, and sodium-filled exhaust valves.

Turbo or not, I'd stilll consider the Subaru wagons "too small" for a couple of kids. A few years ago, tried loading the Volvo with 1 wife 1 dog 1 kid and 1 trombone and all the stuff that goes along with that and it just didn't fit. Took the Oddy, instead.

MY daughter is tall for a girl and I'm sure she'd do a Lizzie Borden if she were stuck in the back of the TSX for any amount of time, like on a vacation.

If your wife doesn't want to drive a minivan, the Oddy platform is the same as the Pilot and the MDX. So the Pilot and MDX are just minivans that are cleverly disguised as SUVs.

Trust me. You NEED at least one large box on wheels and the Oddy is about the best large box on wheels made today. You can tell your wife the Oddy is just like an Accord on Michael Moore's diet.

Or how about CPO? KBB lists the retail of an '01 E320 wagon and '01 525iT wagon as just above and below that 30k threshold. CPOs come with a warranty up to 100k, significantly diminishing the used-car risk.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:06 AM
ric
Safety Car

If you actually NEED a back seat, the TSX is going to be a challenge, although the trunk is plenty big (but here are laws about people riding back there....). My TSX is a company car, used almost exclusively by one/two people at a time, so I went for fun in my lease deal. I did test the TL, and went to the dealorship convinced that I was going to leave with the TL, which is a larger, more powerful, less nimble car - and really enjoyed the TSX much, much more. BUT the difference between the lease deals between the two cars was just $50/month. You may be surprised by the real deal vs the floor price - I suspect that your dealor has a waitlist for the TSX but would negotiate a deal for a TL that is on the floor. AND - if you wait a few months, you may be able to negotiate a deal for a 2004 while they try to clear the decks for the 2005, but then you have to be willing to accept some compromises in color, fitout, etc.

Don't know from minivans, but I'd at least test drive them - if you have kids, and the kids have friends, and the kids and friends have saxophones and science projects and ...... a box on wheels makes sense.

I did think about (but did not test drive) the Murano. Thought the 4/D would be good in winter weather here, but ultimately abandon the notion.......... I would have taken the TL before the Murano.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:42 AM
7th Gear

I'm kind of going throught the same thing myself. If I get the TSX I know that as my family grows the car will not fit our needs. What I'm looking at is the 2003 Maxima SE. I think it's a pretty good compromise. The TSX is more luxurious, but the 2003 doesn't look/feel as big as the new Maximas, it has the room I'm going to need later and has 255hp. Not bad, not bad at all...
Old 07-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Cruisin'

Thaks for all the good info, although I am disappointed because I was hoping that the TSX would meet our needs. We did have a minivan for 7 years and it was very functional. We traded it in for the Accord 4 cylinder, 4 door. Call me selfish, but I want a car that scores high on the "fun to drive" scale. Preferably a manual transmission. I would be willing to look at an Accord 6 cylinder, 4 door, manual, but such a vehicle does not exist. Price is a significant consideration, since we are also making payments on the '03 Accord. I was also thinking of looking at the Mazda 6 = either the sedan or wagon. Yesterday's newspaper "Click & Clack" suggested that the Volvos tend to get expensive to maintain as they get older, and we tend to keep cars until they are ready to die (or get very expensive to maintain). I have had good satisfaction with Honda/Acura and tend to think Japanese make cars that are more reliable.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:21 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get an accord. Nice and roomy for the family and great value for your money.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Eat my shorts!!

Thaks for all the good info, although I am disappointed because I was hoping that the TSX would meet our needs. We did have a minivan for 7 years and it was very functional. We traded it in for the Accord 4 cylinder, 4 door. Call me selfish, but I want a car that scores high on the "fun to drive" scale. Preferably a manual transmission. I would be willing to look at an Accord 6 cylinder, 4 door, manual, but such a vehicle does not exist. Price is a significant consideration, since we are also making payments on the '03 Accord. I was also thinking of looking at the Mazda 6 = either the sedan or wagon. Yesterday's newspaper "Click & Clack" suggested that the Volvos tend to get expensive to maintain as they get older, and we tend to keep cars until they are ready to die (or get very expensive to maintain). I have had good satisfaction with Honda/Acura and tend to think Japanese make cars that are more reliable.
i think the mazda 6 sedan is just about the same size as the TSX. the wagon might be a tad bigger but not much. you would just have more storage space.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:44 AM
has been here awhile

I'd say buy a pre-owned TL (even a previous generation model) or even a Lexus GS300. Both cars are very nice, very reliable, and rather fun to drive for larger sedans (well, the TL at least is fun to drive, for sure--I don't know about the GS). They also will pamper the driver and passengers. Both are in your price range if you're willing to get a vehicle that is a year or to old.

I have found that I prefer used vehicles to brand new ones, simply because the car has already depreciated greatly. Besides, you might be able to buy a lot more car than you normally would. Even if you can afford a new car...what's the point?
Old 07-04-2004, 02:19 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a midsized sedan or SUV would be abetter fit for your family IMHO.

if you're looking for something around the price range of the TSX, perhaps you should take a peek at the Honda Accord. I do know that I just recently helped my great aunt make a Camry purchase and she's very happy with it. I'ts quite roomy and they're selling them for a GREAT deal right now. You can pick up a V6 w/ auto,sunroof,leather and all options for less than 22K. We got hers with the I4, auto and leather for 17K. Quite a bargain for a midsize sedan not to mention it's a really reliable car. Not so sporty but I guess you kind of take that loss when looking at moderately priced sedans or SUVs.

if you've got more breathing room for a car then I'd say take a look at the G35 sedan or the E330/GS330 and the Acura TL. They've all got a good amount of space but get to being around 35K
Old 07-04-2004, 02:52 PM
cmf
ATCer

You don't really mention price range, do you have one?
I am sure you don't want a garage full of Accords, so while you think of the CR-V, you may even want to consider the Pilot. I am not sure, but they go for about 30K with the entertainment package....leather, DVD, etc. That would be the same price as the Maxima you are probably looking at, and they get cheaper if you don't want all the extras.
Don't get the 6. If you're not worried about back seat space, pass on the 6 and get the TSX. I can't think of too many cars with lots of rear leg room for under 25K, but SUV's, and minivans are a different story, but again, no standard shift.
Sounds like a tough spot to be in....makes it a hard decision! Good luck with your search!
Old 07-04-2004, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

Price is a significant consideration. It sounds like the Maxima will price out too high, as does the TL and the Pilot and definitely the Infiniti G35. After all the responses, the Accord manual has moved high on the radar screen, although the handling does not compare with my GS-R, nor with the TSX. Comfort for the family is looking higher as a priority than my fun factor, otherwise, I'd be trying to find a way to afford the S2000.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Instructor

Just get an 05 Altima 3.5 V6, has 250hp and revised interior.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by TSXfan23
Do these have more backseat room? I'd rather drive an Accord
Old 07-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Cruisin'

What kind of experience have people had with Nissan? I am willing to consider the Altima because I am interested in the 6 cylinder 4 door with manual transmission, but one of the things I like about Honda/Acura is the reliability factor.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Mmmm... tasty.

This is a really tough decision. Can you give us more detail? How much extra cargo room are you looking for? Do you take long trips often with the entire family? Have a dog? Like to camp?

All of these lifestyle issues are important. Even though the TSX is fun to drive, it really is meant for singles and couples with maybe 1 kid. The trunk is plenty big but wouldn't be enough for long trips, especially if you want a cooler easily accessible. Leg room would get cramped in the rear.

Definitely, a wagon (or even a Minivan) sounds more suited to having a 15 and 11 year old. Subaru Outback/Legacy Wagon, Audi A4 Avant, Volvo wagon, or something similar come to mind. Just be realistic with what your family needs since you already have a 4-door sedan.

My $0.02.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:59 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by McGriddle
Definitely, a wagon (or even a Minivan) sounds more suited to having a 15 and 11 year old...
Try looking for a used MDX--Honda reliability and practicality, Acura luxury and performance. And used, they're right in your price bracket.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Banned

Maxima is US-assemled, no ?

There are just too MANY ! ALL OVER THE PLACE !
Old 07-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by McGriddle
This is a really tough decision. Can you give us more detail? How much extra cargo room are you looking for? Do you take long trips often with the entire family? Have a dog? Like to camp?

All of these lifestyle issues are important. Even though the TSX is fun to drive, it really is meant for singles and couples with maybe 1 kid. The trunk is plenty big but wouldn't be enough for long trips, especially if you want a cooler easily accessible. Leg room would get cramped in the rear.

Definitely, a wagon (or even a Minivan) sounds more suited to having a 15 and 11 year old. Subaru Outback/Legacy Wagon, Audi A4 Avant, Volvo wagon, or something similar come to mind. Just be realistic with what your family needs since you already have a 4-door sedan.

My $0.02.

We do not take long trips, but this vehicle will need to accommodate the family interchangably with the Accord 4 door and be comparable in comfort in our daily travels. I have a bias in favor of Japanese cars in terms of reliability, and even tend to prefer (unapatriotic as it sounds) cars actually built in Japan. My preference is that the vehicle have at least a modicum of fun to drive, although my priority is family. Price is always an issue. It may be closed-minded, but I don't want to get a used car, because I don't trust how the previous owner drove and maintained it. I am now thinking of looking at the Accord manual, Altima 6 cylinder manual, Nissan Murano, and maybe the Mazda 6
Old 07-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Helper monkey, eh?

Originally Posted by TSXfan23
Originally Posted by robert_tsxgeek
Maxima is US-assemled, no ?

There are just too MANY ! ALL OVER THE PLACE !

The Altima is worse...those things are a dime a dozen. My brother got one as a rental while his car was in the shop and he hated it. He said it was surprisingly unresponsive.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Cruisin'

I just drove the Altima 6 cylinder 5 speed. Heavy torque steer, peppy engine, cheap interior, wiggly shifter. It has essentially removed itself from consideration. The Murano, on the other hand, was fun to drive. Too bad it doesn't come with a manual transmission.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

How did you like the CVT on the Murano?? Sorry to hear of your Altima experience. We looked at it too when we got the Passat - just sitting in it turned us off.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jcg878
How did you like the CVT on the Murano?? Sorry to hear of your Altima experience. We looked at it too when we got the Passat - just sitting in it turned us off.

It felt very strange to drive a vehicle that did not shift. I kept expecting it to upshift or downshift as I drove at various speeds. I think I liked it, but it was hard to tell on one brief test drive. I will have to try it at least one or two more times. The engine was responsive and moved well - it is the same engine as in the Maxima and 350Z. The Altima felt cheap.