TSX vs IS250

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006 | 11:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jason
That's pretty funny. I'm the one that started the thread. I'm Tribal Fury.

dude you disappeared lol, i was backing you up. And i started to get fed up explaining how superb tsx's handling was, but this guy who hasn't driven neither guy tries to argue with me, and i was like you didn't drive either car, so you have no arguement..... I do currently own is300 but is250 is downgrade for me IMO. i think our forum is MATURE than their forum.
Old 01-12-2006 | 11:46 PM
Drifting

jason,

you tried to defend it... it's all good. towards the end, some posts from both lexus and acura owners became incoherent...
Old 01-12-2006 | 11:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by laee3
dude you disappeared lol, i was backing you up. And i started to get fed up explaining how superb tsx's handling was, but this guy who hasn't driven neither guy tries to argue with me, and i was like you didn't drive either car, so you have no arguement..... I do currently own is300 but is250 is downgrade for me IMO. i think our forum is MATURE than their forum.
oh ya! ya, saw your posts too...

i made a comment on how i liked the new camry if it came in a 6mt, and some other member implicitly brought up a fwd vs. rwd response...

very odd...
Old 01-12-2006 | 11:55 PM
Racer

lol like i said, they are very immature. i got tired of repeating myself, one dude even said Skyline Gtr was an japanese super car, well i think its funny how NSX is so under appreciated even though NSX is only at the proper super car level from any japanese manufactures.
Old 01-13-2006 | 12:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Reading 1 page of that thread made me want to post on it, but i'm going to do the dirty and make yall read it instead, cause this is so much better of an audience.

My new car search came down to 2 cars, the IS 250 AWD and the TSX. First let me say that they are CLEARLY in 'competition' with each other. They offer similar feature sets, similar size and class, similar safety (good, but not great), similar true performance output and both do have that certain intangible 'luxury' feel to them that puts them a step above an accord or camry, no matter how close the companies are.

I won't bore you with my agonizing decision, and really, i struggled over it, but in the end I went with the TSX. (I've got a delivery date now, Jan 27!) The true verdict from my perspective? The 250 AWD is a better car. But not $7000+ better, which is about the price difference. The TSX is the best 'bang for the buck' from a smart shopping perspective, not because i'm 'too cheap to buy a lexus' as I was called on a different IS forum where i debated these two cars.

To qualify my last point, around where I live, the two lexus dealers told me the same thing: you can only get the 250 in 2 versions right now, becuase that's all they're shipping: fully loaded and fully stripped. That's what puts the IS at $7000+ for me, a stipped IS isn't a competitor with the TSX, and although the loaded one is, and is probably better, its just over priced.

On a side note, want to know what they're talking about with the IS250 over at lexusownersclub.com and clublexus.com? The 2006 IS250 is just an introductory model for the new IS line, and is slated to be replaced by an IS300 version just next year! I don't have the hard facts for this, but their own rumor mill is substantiating it, and that's sure to cause a price bump for the IS series as well, if true. I wouldn't want to buy a 1 year run car with known quality control problems, that's for sure!

Amen for the TSX. I'll be glad when I've got the keys to my car and can stop thinking about it. I'll definitly be spending the money I'll save... on the TSX!
Old 01-13-2006 | 12:21 AM
Drifting

who would want to buy a stripped is250?

my friend was looking for a used is300 5at last year, and we thought we found the perfect one. black on black, 5at, fully loaded (exactly what he was looking for). when we got there, we realized that it had cloth seats. it just didn't look right.

if i were to buy a luxury brand, such as lexus (test drove an 02 is300 5mt when i was car shopping), it would have to at least have leather...
Old 01-13-2006 | 12:52 AM
7thGenAccord

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
who would want to buy a stripped is250?

my friend was looking for a used is300 5at last year, and we thought we found the perfect one. black on black, 5at, fully loaded (exactly what he was looking for). when we got there, we realized that it had cloth seats. it just didn't look right.

if i were to buy a luxury brand, such as lexus (test drove an 02 is300 5mt when i was car shopping), it would have to at least have leather...
lol people that really want the IS and can barely afford it will buy it. and most of the is300 come with suede seats. i rarely see a IS300 with full leather seat.
Old 01-13-2006 | 01:47 AM
Racer

i have solar yellow/black, and mine don't come with leather lol.. i actually prefer suade, they should start having suade options for californians =)
Old 01-13-2006 | 02:07 AM
7thGenAccord

^^^ yeah. i love the suade. it doesnt crack like leather and you dont slide on the seats.
Old 01-13-2006 | 08:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Reach
The true verdict from my perspective? The 250 AWD is a better car. But not $7000+ better, which is about the price difference. The TSX is the best 'bang for the buck' from a smart shopping perspective, not because i'm 'too cheap to buy a lexus' as I was called on a different IS forum where i debated these two cars.
I agree completely. The IS250 IS a better car. But not by much and certainly not worth the extra money.

Originally Posted by Reach
I wouldn't want to buy a 1 year run car with known quality control problems, that's for sure!
What problems?
Old 01-13-2006 | 11:22 AM
Pro

The IS250 IS a better car.
Not for everybody. For instance, we have one car and a 5 month old child. The car seat barely fits in the center in the back of the TSX... how hard/impossible would it be with the IS250 where the rear seats are a tighter fit. And now add in some adults back there as well, throw in a stroller and some bags in the trunk. Or, what about split, fold down rear seats for making a trip to Home Depot?

A "better" car is all relative, and there's a lot more that goes into making that judgement than most people take into account.
Old 01-13-2006 | 11:25 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by vitocorleone
Not for everybody. For instance, we have one car and a 5 month old child. The car seat barely fits in the center in the back of the TSX... how hard/impossible would it be with the IS250 where the rear seats are a tighter fit. And now add in some adults back there as well, throw in a stroller and some bags in the trunk. Or, what about split, fold down rear seats for making a trip to Home Depot?

A "better" car is all relative, and there's a lot more that goes into making that judgement than most people take into account.

x 1,000
Old 01-13-2006 | 11:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by vitocorleone

Yes it's relative but it IS a better car. A better car, not a more practical car. Not a car for everybody but a nicer car with more features. Hey man I bought a TSX so you don't have to convince me, but go test drive one and see for yourself. They're nice.
Old 01-13-2006 | 11:29 AM
Instructor

I just got my 06 TSX, but for a long time I couldn't decide between the TSX and the IS250. I was getting quotes from So Cal dealers for a RWD 250 AT WITHOUT nav and the basic package without the perforated and heated leather seats for $32,500 . With Nav and the nice leather it was $34,900. It was way out of my price range. Plus dealers were only offering me $500 under MSRP. My guess is that the IS250 is over priced for its first year and will drop for the 2007 model. I ended up getting my TSX with Nav OTD with tax & lic. for $31k and that included a rear spoiler.

I feel happy knowing I made the right choice and easily saved myself $5k by not buying the IS250.
Old 01-13-2006 | 11:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tmetcalf
I just got my 06 TSX, but for a long time I couldn't decide between the TSX and the IS250. I was getting quotes from So Cal dealers for a RWD 250 AT WITHOUT nav and the basic package without the perforated and heated leather seats for $32,500 . With Nav and the nice leather it was $34,900. It was way out of my price range. Plus dealers were only offering me $500 under MSRP. My guess is that the IS250 is over priced for its first year and will drop for the 2007 model. I ended up getting my TSX with Nav OTD with tax & lic. for $31k and that included a rear spoiler.

I feel happy knowing I made the right choice and easily saved myself $5k by not buying the IS250.
I know a guy that got a 2006 IS250 Manual with 18" wheels with preminum package for $29,995. The dealer you went to didnt want to negociate or you didnt haggle enough.

I'm still deciding between the 06 TSX and 06 IS250.

I think I'm willing to compromise the Lexus brand name, more agressive styling, RWD, 18inch wheels over the added features that the TSX comes with.

I dont really need heated seats or memory seats, yes its nice to have but I will be using those things like 5% of the time. I can still upgrade to the luxury package and get all those things with the IS250.

I can get a IS250 Auto for $32-33 OTD.

Still havent made my choice yet. I'm waiting for all the hype about the new IS to calm down before I actually purchase one.
Old 01-13-2006 | 11:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I know a guy that got a 2006 IS250 Manual with 18" wheels with preminum package for $29,995. The dealer you went to didnt want to negociate or you didnt haggle enough.

I'm still deciding between the 06 TSX and 06 IS250.

I think I'm willing to compromise the Lexus brand name, more agressive styling, RWD, 18inch wheels over the added features that the TSX comes with.

I dont really need heated seats or memory seats, yes its nice to have but I will be using those things like 5% of the time. I can still upgrade to the luxury package and get all those things with the IS250.

I can get a IS250 Auto for $32-33 OTD.

Still havent made my choice yet. I'm waiting for all the hype about the new IS to calm down before I actually purchase one.

that sounds like unheard of, when i went to dealership there was long line for the new is series, and 29k for the is250 plus premium package??? i highly doubt it
Old 01-13-2006 | 11:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by laee3
that sounds like unheard of, when i went to dealership there was long line for the new is series, and 29k for the is250 plus premium package??? i highly doubt it
Its preminum package, which basically comes with nothing. Maybe you are mistaking it from the Luxury Package?

He just got $1600 off. MSRP of the car was around $32,000. He got it from Lexus of Riverside.

Lots of people are getting $3,000 off the IS350. Thats why i'm will to wait 6+ months and maybe get a IS250 with the Luxury package for near invoice. Lexus sold over 4000 new IS's in the month of Decemeber. In 6+ months get ready for the deals to start rolling in. Lexus plans to sell MASSIVE quantities of this car so that will equal good deals in the months to come.
Old 01-13-2006 | 11:54 AM
Racer

Its preminum package, which basically comes with nothing. Maybe you are mistaking it from the Luxury Package?

He just got $1600 off. MSRP of the car was around $32,000. He got it from Lexus of Riverside.

Lots of people are getting $3,000 off the IS350. Thats why i'm will to wait 6+ months and maybe get a IS250 with the Luxury package for near invoice. Lexus sold over 4000 new IS's in the month of Decemeber. In 6+ months get ready for the deals to start rolling in. Lexus plans to sell MASSIVE quantities of this car so that will equals good deals in the month to come.

i highly doubt you can get off 1600 off of lexus around this time, and does is250 rwd manual has premium package at all? i checked out the lexus.com right now, is250 rwd auto trans + premium is $33,888.00 thats not including tax. Well if you can get that price for you then good for you!
Old 01-13-2006 | 11:59 AM
Pro

Yes it's relative but it IS a better car. A better car, not a more practical car. Not a car for everybody but a nicer car with more features. Hey man I bought a TSX so you don't have to convince me, but go test drive one and see for yourself. They're nice.
Just wasn't sure on where you were coming from in terms of "better". I believe you that it is a "nicer" car, as one would hope from something comparably equipped but costing thousands more! If I was a bachelor, I could see myself in an IS350. Or maybe G35c. Tough call, there.
Old 01-13-2006 | 02:36 PM
Instructor

I was emailing a local dealer internet sales person on the IS 250 AWD price - he quoted me the MSRP - so I asked him what was their price - he replied - "People are willing to pay more than the MSRP so Sir you can f*ck off".

I wish I had saved his messages and sent it to Lexus - totally uncouth and unprofessional behaviour. I am not only buying Lexus - I am now telling my friends and colleagues not to do do business with this dealer either.

Having said that I think BMW 3 AWD would be in the price range - I have not driven it but knowing BMW handling in general it cannot be worse. Alo, there would be more room to negotiate.
Old 01-13-2006 | 02:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by owkone
I was emailing a local dealer internet sales person on the IS 250 AWD price - he quoted me the MSRP - so I asked him what was their price - he replied - "People are willing to pay more than the MSRP so Sir you can f*ck off".

Thats almost unbelievable Totally shocking. Were you giving him attitude of some sort? Seems strange for someone to just come out and tell you to F off.

When their not seeling as well as they are now he'll be regretting that kind of behaviour.
Old 01-13-2006 | 08:33 PM
Drifting

Sorry man, I have to call on this one.
Old 01-13-2006 | 08:43 PM
Racer

I wish I had saved his messages and sent it to Lexus - totally uncouth and unprofessional behaviour. I am not only buying Lexus - I am now telling my friends and colleagues not to do do business with this dealer either.

Having said that I think BMW 3 AWD would be in the price range - I have not driven it but knowing BMW handling in general it cannot be worse. Alo, there would be more room to negotiate.
So, did you buy from him.

Haha, just kidding dude. Thae is terrible, especially from Lexus.
Old 01-13-2006 | 09:34 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

I checked out both the IS250 RWD and TSX 05 before getting the TSX. On the luxury side, I think we all need to give credit to Lexus, from the interior to exterior, no matter what angle are you looking at, or what items are you touching, Lexus win. However, on the performance wise, there's NOT so much differences under regular driving. The IS250 comes with the V6, which have more torque than TSX. I believe the TSX might be more tun-able in engines mod, but the IS250 has a more linear and comfortable power output. The TSX does have a stiffer yet comfortable setup, but for tuners, we all change to Tanabe or Tein setup, so it doesn't matter much. The IS250 has RWD but its VDC is way too sensitive, will cut out the fun too early. RWD is born with that car that TSX will never have (for now).
As for the money factor, YES, Lexus is over-price if you ask me. I might enjoy more w/ the BMW 325i or the Infiniti G35 w/ that amount of money, but on technology, building quality wise, I would go with Lexus. Please don't mis-understand my comment as I'm just giving in my suggestion. And of course, I'm still enjoying my TSX at the moment~!
Old 01-14-2006 | 02:01 AM
Racer

My friend, you can't get much farther from the truth than that!

I like the looks of the new IS and I can AFFORD the IS250. Heck I can even afford the IS 350. But I'm getting neither because I know that by looking elsewhere I can have so much more in a car with that same amount of money.

It's about getting your money's worth and making the smartest buying decision possible.

Choosing the TSX over the IS250 is all about money.

If you have the extra cash obviously you gonna choose the Lexus IS250. If you are a bargin shopper and want the most out of your cash then of course you will choose the Acura TSX.

THATS ALL IT COMES DOWN TOO!!

/end thread
Old 01-14-2006 | 02:10 AM
9th Gear

with that price range, I would rather buy a BMW or a Audi
Old 01-14-2006 | 02:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dysonlu
My friend, you can't get much farther from the truth than that!

I like the looks of the new IS and I can AFFORD the IS250. Heck I can even afford the IS 350. But I'm getting neither because I know that by looking elsewhere I can have so much more in a car with that same amount of money.

It's about getting your money's worth and making the smartest buying decision possible.

IMO, he's obviously getting an is250 so he's "defending" it lol.. in my opinion is250 isn't wroth it.
Old 01-15-2006 | 08:51 AM
Banned

Frankly, the IS250 is TL-priced here. I test drove one last week and came out unimpressed... for 45000$CAD.

It may sound funny, the Canadian BMW 323i is better competitor to the TSX than the IS; it comes at 40500$ with sport and premium packs (still a few options missing buy maintenance included) compared to 37330$ for the TSX.