TSX vs IS250

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Holy crap I was kind of regretting not waiting for the IS, but now that I see the pricing I see it's completely out of my league. For that price I'll take a BMW.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:41 PM
I'm the Firestarter

By the way, anyone notice the low fuel consumption? That's direct injection for you.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went in today. Erin Park Lexus. They had 3 IS250 AWD's. Wow! Very nice interior!! I'm impressed. The stupid single cupholder is crap tho. The paddles feel nice.

THE LADY SAID THERES A 6 MONTH WAITING LIST!!! I thought to myself its not a ferrari who cares about this car. The show room was empty except two old guys looking at one IS.

I went right before close just to look at it.

Sport package is diffenately 9600 canadian. 10 grand ! wow! for 45,900 its a bit to much. If sport package was 5 k it would be alright.

But lexus overpriced the IS when the previous one first came out. The price will go down. If history repeats itself!
Old 10-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlukja
If I was shopping for a car right now I would easily chose the 06TSX over the IS250, price being a factor.

I'm in that boat. I'm pretty sure I know what I want...but I could have easily gone to IS250 base 6speed or 325i base.

Still in the air. HOwever, after seeing the IS250 today...only 10 minutes..I'm very impressed. Love the interior. But I wont get it. 10,000 canadian for sport package + 6 month waiting list.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Lexus expects Canadians to pay

to pay about as much for IS250 as americans do for a IS350 ....

F U Toyota. F U Very Much.

Saw a stack of these being unloaded by the autoshow here in TO. & wondered how much they'd be. At least it looks a little less like a corolla outside than the previous $50k lexus corolla(IS).

& am I the only one who think the buttons and controls/dash Lexus cars look too fat/cushy ?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:29 AM
Racer

Just wait a year or so until the hype is over. The dealers will be selling them way below msrp.

I would never purchase a first year vehicle and pay full msrp.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:35 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what a joke
Old 10-14-2005, 12:36 AM
7thGenAccord

kinda lame that you gotta pay 2k + just for HID. seriously.. all i want is the moonroof,leather, and HID
Old 10-14-2005, 12:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by xjdmb16a2six
kinda lame that you gotta pay 2k + just for HID. seriously.. all i want is the moonroof,leather, and HID
You dont pay 2k just for HID's, you get a package that includes a bunch of other things.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:16 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Powered by Honda
I went in today. Erin Park Lexus. They had 3 IS250 AWD's. Wow! Very nice interior!! I'm impressed. The stupid single cupholder is crap tho. The paddles feel nice.

THE LADY SAID THERES A 6 MONTH WAITING LIST!!! I thought to myself its not a ferrari who cares about this car. The show room was empty except two old guys looking at one IS.
OMG I forgot about the cupholder! Yeah, that was a joke but there is another one in the center console. Which reminds me...the center console is a joke and so is the way you access it. Which reminds me...there is no coin holder! There is an ashtray complete with lighter tho That was definitely the worst part of the interior.

Their inferior electronics are not to be minimized however. I spend some quality time fiddling with the nav and BT and it was just not intuitive enough for me. There seems to be many unnecessary steps in programming the nav and the screen is smaller.

BTW, a six month waiting list is insane. I can get one by the end of the month here in Chicago. My choice of model too.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jason
OMG I forgot about the cupholder! Yeah, that was a joke but there is another one in the center console. Which reminds me...the center console is a joke and so is the way you access it. Which reminds me...there is no coin holder! There is an ashtray complete with lighter tho That was definitely the worst part of the interior.

Their inferior electronics are not to be minimized however. I spend some quality time fiddling with the nav and BT and it was just not intuitive enough for me. There seems to be many unnecessary steps in programming the nav and the screen is smaller.

BTW, a six month waiting list is insane. I can get one by the end of the month here in Chicago. My choice of model too.

I know...maybe she was lieing? Making their car sound more wanted???
Yeah that cup holder looks like it can only hold a Pop can! "SODA CAN" For our american friends. Pop = soda here! hehe

Edit: The coolest part of the interior is the 4 led lights on the top that are angled to each person. Very nice!!!!
Old 10-14-2005, 07:33 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
1. Small cabin and interior dimensions

Thats one VERY importnat aspect that originally pushed me away from the IS300. Doesn't look like this new car is significantly better An immediate non starter for me.

The new 3 series is REALLY growing on me.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Dom, I gotta say that after spending several hours beating on the new IS and back to back with a BMW 3-series, the IS is indeed small (especially for someone of your height) and even someone of my height had problems finding a place to put my knee.

The 3-series drives pretty well, but the interior is absolutely atrocious. I don't know about you, but I could not live with that interior on a regular basis.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:22 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Dom, I gotta say that after spending several hours beating on the new IS and back to back with a BMW 3-series, the IS is indeed small (especially for someone of your height) and even someone of my height had problems finding a place to put my knee.

The 3-series drives pretty well, but the interior is absolutely atrocious. I don't know about you, but I could not live with that interior on a regular basis.
You calling me fat, I'm only 5'10

I havn't sat in either of these cars yet but so far it seems the IS is smaller than the 3. There's a Bimmer dealership right down the street from work. One of these days I'm going to get off my lazy ass and go drive one. I have to see what all the hype is about.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom

I havn't sat in either of these cars yet but so far it seems the IS is smaller than the 3. There's a Bimmer dealership right down the street from work. One of these days I'm going to get off my lazy ass and go drive one. I have to see what all the hype is about.
I feel more comfort to see in a Civic than sit in the old IS. The old IS was even smaller than E30!
Old 10-14-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm the Firestarter

I just got back from Lexus/Toyota, took a look at the IS250 and the Prius.

I have to say, after sitting inside I can see why the IS is so much more expensive than the TSX. You don't get things like the HIDs standard, but what you don't get in features you definitely get back in fit and finish and materials. Hell, if you look at where the hood meets the grille, the TSX has a big gap there while the IS has an air-tight seal. Little details like that all around is where the difference is, in addition to the obvious stuff (RWD, V6).

Plus you get the paddle shifters, one touch moonroof (rotating knob actually, I'd prefer a button but it'll do), and just an all-around better feel. I think the memory seats are standard on the base model so the power telescoping wheel probably is too.

I can definitely confirm that space is tighter than the TSX, the back seat is pretty cramped and the trunk looks smaller too. However, I could live with it

The looks are agressive and I can't wait to see the IS350 with the 18" wheels and test drive it...

By the way, I also checked out the Prius since I'm thinking of getting a second car with more carrying capacity to complement the TSX. I was really surprised at the quality of the materials inside, I didn't expect it to feel so upscale. It also has the funky start button standard, which is very cool. Unlike the Civic hybrid this one actually has folding rear seats on top of being a hatch, and has noticably more backseat room than the TSX. I hate minivans and SUVs so it seems like a good choice...
Old 10-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
^ Lexus is really good with the details. I haven't been inside the new IS, but the top model LS sedan has so many small touches it's astounding no one else in the business even thinks of these things. like the seats have lining connecting them to the center console, so it collects anything that would fall between the cracks. And anywhere you touch, if it's not covered by wood, it's soft touch padding.

I wouldn't expect anything less even on the smallest Lexus.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by phile
no one else in the business even thinks of these things. like the seats have lining connecting them to the center console, so it collects anything that would fall between the cracks.
Mercedes-Benz had it 15 years ago...
Old 10-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Spy
Advanced

Can now build and price the new IS at lexus.com
Old 10-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Racer

Built like i'd want is under $33k, paddle shift is cool, HKS exhaust available as an accessory is nice, too.

Now the bad: tailights are ugly imo, radio is at the very bottom of the center stack, curb weight for IS250 rwd a/t is almost 3500lbs, i haven't seen one in person but i still prefer the TSX styling.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by fedlawman
Mercedes-Benz had it 15 years ago...
Didn't know that...
Old 10-15-2005, 02:17 AM
Racer

I just went to look at the IS250/350 today for the first time in person.

All I can say is WOW, the exterior styling is gorgeous. I love how the front looks, inside everything feels top knoch. Car sits nice on the 18inch rims, doesnt need lowering or anything.

I'm in the market for a new car pretty soon. I had my heart set on a 2006 TSX but man I would love to get the IS250. But I dont know if its woth gushing out another $6-7k more for the Lexus. I'm pooooor right now.

I dont know what to do. I might just way a year for the prices to drop on the IS250. But then again I dont want to wait another year to get a car! So maybe the TSX it is! We'll see!
Old 10-15-2005, 03:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I just went to look at the IS250/350 today for the first time in person.

All I can say is WOW, the exterior styling is gorgeous. I love how the front looks, inside everything feels top knoch. Car sits nice on the 18inch rims, doesnt need lowering or anything.

I'm in the market for a new car pretty soon. I had my heart set on a 2006 TSX but man I would love to get the IS250. But I dont know if its woth gushing out another $6-7k more for the Lexus. I'm pooooor right now.

I dont know what to do. I might just way a year for the prices to drop on the IS250. But then again I dont want to wait another year to get a car! So maybe the TSX it is! We'll see!

hahah same boat. Especially the poooor right now part.

But TSX seems smarter after seeing the 9,600$$$ sport package price. Otherwise its just a nice corolla with rwd.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:47 AM
Advanced

I checked out a couple of auto IS250s this afternoon. Am I alone or one in only a few in that does not find the new IS attractive for the most part, inside and out? It's not generally ugly, but also not attractive nor boring -- it's bold. Yeah, it's bold, with excessive lines that do not appear to do anything but seem to add girth (though word is that they may be aerodynamically beneficial). It's almost a Lexus Banglization, if you will. There is nary a lick of elegance outside that I can immediately recall, and this, to me, will not bode well for the long term. It's as if it's trying too hard to look aggressive, which Lexus certainly has achieved and then some. Still, I prefer the more elegant and ground-hugging aggressiveness of the 3-series and previous A4s. The high beltline is a minus in my book, and I'm not "feeling" that overly aggressive/strange cutout design of the rear doors and C-pillars. The non-flush lighting elements particularly at the rear also aren't working for me -- on any car -- though these are hardly deal breakers. However, as one prior poster mentioned, the assembly is clearly a cut above the TSX. The paint is oh so nice in comparison (color me not surprised). And the dimensions and overhangs are about what I prefer on a car in this class.

Moving inside, I recall liking the instrumentation hub and the smallish yet sufficiently thick steering wheel, though the audio/nav buttons on it do not feel as intuitive as the TSX's. The plastics in general are superior in feel and appearance, as expected. But unlike just about everyone thus far in this thread, I was underwhelmed by the rather busy-looking non-nav dash's design (neither car on the lot had nav). Again, I tend to prefer the more simple and elegant lines of the TSX's dash, but not in the excessive fashion of, say, the Infiniti M45. This may also lend to the contention that the TSX's ergonomics is overall superior to the IS's -- save for the inane placement of the moonroof buttons. Now to some criticisms and nitpicks and such. First, I simply didn't like the sloped sill for the window buttons, etc., on the driver-side door as it forces an uncomfortable twist of my wrist/forearm, though the door grip is welcomed. Perhaps the sill is sloped to preserve precious space; an unfortunate compromise. Secondly, the console between the front seats is too high, further intruding into an already smallish interior. This design befits a 2 seater sports, but not a terribly welcomed design in a sedan. Thirdly, were those cup holders or pencil holders? Usually not a big deal -- until it becomes one. I should credit Honda for all the cubbies and holders that I wrongly thought never use. Fourthly, outward view is hampered due to the high beltline, particularly towards the rear, with the rear window being hampered by the tall tail and simply a smallish window. The interior space does indeed feel quite a bit smaller than that of the TSX, especially legroom -- actual numbers may prove otherwise, but these were my qualitative assessments during my 10-20 minutes inspection.

What I do immediately recall liking in addition to the aforementioned are the rather comfortable seats and the paddle shifts. Unfortunately I did not have time to give it a run. Honda should really bring this to the TSX soon. And again, the fit and finish appear to superior.

That's it for now. Next up, test drive.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:37 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Thanks, Spy.

I just built an IS 250 AWD with the less expensive package (that includes the navigator etc.) and the price comes to something just under US $38,000. If I choose the more expensive package, it comes to just under US $40,000.

Interestingly, if I choose the IS 250 RWD, it does not allow me go with a navigator and the price comes to about US $33,000. However, if I go with an IS 250 RWD MT, then I can choose the navigator package, and the price goes up to just over US $34,420.

You cannot get the Mark Levinson audio system with any of the IS 250 configurations.

If I go with the IS 350 with nav and Mark Levinson, then the price skyrockets to just under US $45,000.

FUGGEDABOUTIT!!!!!! If I were to go with IS 250, I would definitely go with now the TL. If I were to go with the IS 350, I would now go with the RL or 3 series.

This outrageous pricing is going to be the kiss of death for this still largely anonymous little car.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:21 AM
Hondaholic

In typical Lexus fashion, different options/packages are available for different markets. For example, Cali gets 18" wheels/tires as a mandated option for the IS250 RWD MT, while here in CT that isn't even available.

The dealbreaker for me is no xenons and no navi for the IS250 RWD MT. Can't even order them. With a mandated interior luxury package, it's $32300. The car doesn't represent enough of a performance increase to warrant the price.......
Old 10-15-2005, 08:25 AM
YBA
Burning Brakes

I would strongly question someone's sanity if they purchased the 250 with the sport package. That's insane!
Old 10-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Driver/Detailer

What's painful is that the k24A only puts out 164lb-ft @4500rpm while the V6 in the IS250 does 185lb-ft @4800rpm. Does V6 really make that much extra torque over an I4 if the capacities are almost similar? And their peak power outputs are essentially the same. I would like to see a dyno for the IS250 to determine if it has more area under the power curve than the TSX.

The IS250 has rear vented discs though... Acura should update the rear brakes too.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Driver/Detailer

Just realised why the IS250 makes so much more torque. It's a direct injection petrol engine. Then I can think of one more advantage of the TSX. The TSX can tolerate 89 octane as well as the accidental shitty fuel with more sulphur.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dom

You're only 5'10"? I could have sworn you said you were taller...
Old 10-15-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by ASIMO
I checked out a couple of auto IS250s this afternoon. Am I alone or one in only a few in that does not find the new IS attractive for the most part, inside and out? It's not generally ugly, but also not attractive nor boring -- it's bold. Yeah, it's bold, with excessive lines that do not appear to do anything but seem to add girth (though word is that they may be aerodynamically beneficial). It's almost a Lexus Banglization, if you will. There is nary a lick of elegance outside that I can immediately recall, and this, to me, will not bode well for the long term. It's as if it's trying too hard to look aggressive, which Lexus certainly has achieved and then some. Still, I prefer the more elegant and ground-hugging aggressiveness of the 3-series and previous A4s. The high beltline is a minus in my book, and I'm not "feeling" that overly aggressive/strange cutout design of the rear doors and C-pillars. The non-flush lighting elements particularly at the rear also aren't working for me -- on any car -- though these are hardly deal breakers. However, as one prior poster mentioned, the assembly is clearly a cut above the TSX. The paint is oh so nice in comparison (color me not surprised). And the dimensions and overhangs are about what I prefer on a car in this class.

Moving inside, I recall liking the instrumentation hub and the smallish yet sufficiently thick steering wheel, though the audio/nav buttons on it do not feel as intuitive as the TSX's. The plastics in general are superior in feel and appearance, as expected. But unlike just about everyone thus far in this thread, I was underwhelmed by the rather busy-looking non-nav dash's design (neither car on the lot had nav). Again, I tend to prefer the more simple and elegant lines of the TSX's dash, but not in the excessive fashion of, say, the Infiniti M45. This may also lend to the contention that the TSX's ergonomics is overall superior to the IS's -- save for the inane placement of the moonroof buttons. Now to some criticisms and nitpicks and such. First, I simply didn't like the sloped sill for the window buttons, etc., on the driver-side door as it forces an uncomfortable twist of my wrist/forearm, though the door grip is welcomed. Perhaps the sill is sloped to preserve precious space; an unfortunate compromise. Secondly, the console between the front seats is too high, further intruding into an already smallish interior. This design befits a 2 seater sports, but not a terribly welcomed design in a sedan. Thirdly, were those cup holders or pencil holders? Usually not a big deal -- until it becomes one. I should credit Honda for all the cubbies and holders that I wrongly thought never use. Fourthly, outward view is hampered due to the high beltline, particularly towards the rear, with the rear window being hampered by the tall tail and simply a smallish window. The interior space does indeed feel quite a bit smaller than that of the TSX, especially legroom -- actual numbers may prove otherwise, but these were my qualitative assessments during my 10-20 minutes inspection.

What I do immediately recall liking in addition to the aforementioned are the rather comfortable seats and the paddle shifts. Unfortunately I did not have time to give it a run. Honda should really bring this to the TSX soon. And again, the fit and finish appear to superior.

Nice write-up Asimo.

I personally liked all the exterior details, but I completely agree with your comments on the interior. I forgot to mention the steering wheel - it's a lot smaller than the TSX and similar to the new Civic, small, thick and sporty, this is something the TSX should have.

One thing that surprised me is that the IS250 with luxury package had an unused button on the steering wheel! On the model with the nav I saw that this is where the button for voice commands goes. I don't know about you guys but having "dead buttons" in a CAN $50,000 car, on the steering wheel of all places, is hardly acceptable.The TSX's way of adding an "appendage" is a bit less demeaning to those who choose not to get the option.

The high center console is no doubt because of the RWD, and of course the tiny cupholders.

The dash instruments are probably not as visible as on the TSX, smaller fonts and less lit up, but are more high class.

The door grips were a very nice touch for me, with the beautiful metal finish and smooth curves, it's much nicer than the TSX's straight edges.

I did see a model with the navigation system. I spent a few minutes trying to punch in my address - they didn't have it even though it's a 3-year-old street. The guy gave it a voice command but it clearly did not work, he said something about having to teach it voice commands. Not having navi in the TSX I can't really compare.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:46 AM
Team Owner

I really must also point out that the steering feel on the Lexus was quite disconnected and the handling, while good, is still kinda soft.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Small cabin and interior dimensions
Originally Posted by dom
Thats one VERY importnat aspect that originally pushed me away from the IS300. Doesn't look like this new car is significantly better An immediate non starter for me.

The new 3 series is REALLY growing on me.
Not only is it not better, it's actually worse - alot worse if you go with sunroof - something like 86.5 cu ft of interior space. This is less than the TSX, the old IS300 and even a Honda Civic. I don't understand how Lexus could make the IS250/350 larger on the outside than the old car, but come up w/ even less interior space.

I was really planning on getting an IS350, but this lack of interior space has completely turned me off - that and the fact that an IS350 w/ nav and Mark Levinson stereo would cost about $43-$45K. Even one w/ just nav would be in the $42K range.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ASIMO

ASIMO...what kind of time machine do you own? I ask as this post is dated today at 6:47 a.m. but you cite checking out a couple of IS250's this "afternoon".
Old 10-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LannyM
The car doesn't represent enough of a performance increase to warrant the price.......

Given the high weight and relatively low power of the IS250, I'd say there would be little if any performance increase over a TSX.

I think Lexus saddled the IS250 w/ a weak engine as a marketing strategy. With the pricing, the IS250 is clearly the successor to the IS300. It should have had the GS300's 245 hp 3.0L V6 and the GS should have had the potent 3.5L V6. But, they couldn't use the 3.5L V6 in the GS series yet b/c the existing 4.3L V8 is weaker.

It's almost a given that, in the next year or two, the GS300 will become the GS350 when Lexus's new and more powerful V8 engine comes out. At this point, the 245 hp GS300 engine should trickle down to an entry level IS300.

This would make much more sense as the 100+ hp gap btw the IS250 and IS350 is just ridiculous.

An IS300 w/ 245 hp (maybe up to 255 hp w/ further tuning) and the option of being able to pair it w/ a manual trans would make for a much more compelling "sports" sedan than the currently weak 200 hp IS250.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TL Fantasy
ASIMO...what kind of time machine do you own? I ask as this post is dated today at 6:47 a.m. but you cite checking out a couple of IS250's this "afternoon".

Time...it's all relative, no? My day usually starts at just before noon and ends at the cusp of dawn/morning. And my time machine? Like countless billions, whatever we consider a bed. At this point it can only do fast-foward, but I am still working on having it go the other way.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aaronng
Just realised why the IS250 makes so much more torque. It's a direct injection petrol engine. Then I can think of one more advantage of the TSX. The TSX can tolerate 89 octane as well as the accidental shitty fuel with more sulphur.
Direct Injection is a signifigant upgrade. Don't understand the move back to V6. Why'd they develop the I6 in the first place then? A gimmick to compete with BMW ?

highlights:
- 200HP on a 3500lbs car.
- less interior space than corrolla/civic
- Fat/Bloated interior and poor visibility
- small gauges
- reported camry like transmission.
- subpar handling for RWD 'sports-sedan'
- $40k US OTD ?

... not feeling it.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crfortin
Direct Injection is a signifigant upgrade. Don't understand the move back to V6. Why'd they develop the I6 in the first place then? A gimmick to compete with BMW ?
Toyota didn't design the inline 6 specifically for the previous gen IS300. It was the Supra's engine that they dropped into the IS when they brought the car to the US. Supras have had inline 6s for a long time before that - like since the 80s. The choice had nothing to do with competing w/ BMW.

IMO, inline 6 is definitely better than V6. I think they went to the V6 to save money (Toyota's V6 engines in the Camry, Avalon, RX330, GS300, and IS350 are all related. This significantly saves money - kind of like how Nissan uses the 3.5L V6 in the Altima, 350Z, G35, M35, FX35, Maxima, etc.) and for packaging (V6 is more compact than inline 6).
Old 10-16-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Besides, there's no question at all that this engine is far superior to the previous one. Look at the fuel economy vs. power. Who cares if it's I6 or V6? Just because BMW has it doesn't mean it's the only formula for success.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Race Director

I drove the IS250 and IS350 today at the Taste of Lexus and the IS250, while it has nice interior materials, is just about the fast as the TSX to me. I'd rather get a TL for the price of a IS250 and the IS350 I would love, but for a loaded IS350, give me an M45 instead. The IS series is very small, hardly any room in the back at all.

Quick Reply: TSX vs IS250