TSX too old for youngins?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you guys kidding? I dont care who else drives it or why or who bought it for who, or their age....whatever...i bought mine cuz i like the car and thats that...who gives a rats ass
Old 09-16-2006, 03:32 PM
Cruisin'

im 19 with a decent job and loving parents wat more could i ask for? o btw i drive a ferrari for my daily driver =p jk
Old 09-16-2006, 04:35 PM
STi'd

Originally Posted by cnk
Im 18 im asian and I got my 2006 tsx with out paying a single penny its not that im spoiled ( at least i don't think) I think its because were asian we treat our kids like treasure on the other hand, white boys treat their kids sometimes like shit they even count every single dollar they owe but asian parents don't give a shit about money cuz they have this way of thinking i'll eventually pass everything onto my kid and yes I just graduated and yet im a dumbass barely made it to school so what tough luck for people who have gay ass parents not saying that their gay because they don't buy you a car but its because they don't actually treat their kids like treasure instead trash IM NOT RACIST FYI but yeah just wanted to speech! HOPEFULLY NO ONE WILL GET OFFENDED IF SO just holla back Pz CnK
This is the most retarded post yet. Hopefully no one will listen to this "youngin". Race has NOTHING to do with it.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Instructor

I got my TSX when i was 16 , i have to make payments on it and i had to pay the difference on my insurance when i got a ticket. I havent gotten into any accidents and i love my car. My parents made me go to the dealership by myself and talk to the sales person and negotiate a good deal, i wasnt allowed to get the car if i didnt get it down to a certain price or if i didnt get someting included. I take amazing care of my car, and i pay for anything i decide to do to it, like rims or lowering it, and service and oil changes are on me too. My parents make me work, and if i dont have a job... then i dont have a car. I can see peoples points on both sides, yes a TSX is a very nice car for ANYBODY, but especially for a 16 year old driver. Im not going to lie, i am a very good driver and i have stupid friends that drive 60 and 70 thousand dollar cars, and they crash them or trash them and then ask for a new one, its very annoying. I have never once complained about my car, even when i ran out of money and i couldnt pay for gas, my dad told me that it was tough shit and my mom had to drive me around.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Pro

WFC

Mounting soapbox:

What I do care about is someone with very little life experience pontificating, chastising, talking-down-to, moralizing and judging those they deem to have offended them, criticized them, belittled them and in short hurt their feelings. So what if you feel that way. Part of growing up is learning that if you give someone respect (even if you think they're full of crap) you'll probably get some respect, if at least courtesy in return (aka: social graces). If not, then they by their actions have told you and anyone else that was paying attention, that they are a social asshole. Then by all means protect yourself as you see fit. What I'm saying here is to not be too quick on the trigger or you'll just end up learning how to duck fast.

Part of being an adult is acting like an adult (no age inference intended). With all due respect for the psych. lessons, people do things for their very own good reasons (and yes I understand what was written). Just because we may have a different opinion or point of view as to what others do doesn't mean we have to go around correcting everyone. Also, I think it is rude, crude and an abuse of this forum and the spirit of helping others to "bait" people (no matter the age) with comments and observations that are in fact meant to solicit an angry response.

Live and let live, unless of course you step on my toes a little too often. Prepare to duck.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:18 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldnt say spoiled, I'd say lucky.. Lucky to have dumb ass parent's who will not forsee the future - ( kid - a.d.d. - impatient - naive - irresponsible) + ( 30,000.00 first car) = waste of money + lots of stress ... They should know that their kid is gonna fuck up somewhere down the line. I know if I can trust someone with my car or not. I wouldnt get a really expensive car for my kids unless I knew that they understand the value of money and knew that they take very good care of thier belongings, plus they have to work and pay for half of their payment and insurance.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:22 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When I was 19 I got my first car but I paid for everything and never asked for any help. I took good care of my IS300 and it always was in good shape, plus I only got like 2 speeding tickets and one for my tints in the whole 4 years that I had it.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dice
Well I am 19 next month and have owned my TSX since may 06. I bought the car myself on my name. I saved up for my first car since I was 13 years old when I realized my parents wont buy me a car. I bought my first car a 99 Honda accord couple months after i got my license and drove around in a beat up corrolla. I loved the accord but the transmission was on the way out. Then I fell in love with a 6speed TSX so I decided to add a couple hours to my work schedule and go out a couple nights less to afford it. I pay all my bills (insurance, car payment, tuition etc.) I earned all my money and work hard to earn it. It wasnt the smartest decision I ever made but I do love the car.So for those people that sound ridiculous and think that young people arent deserving or dont work for their car need to relax a little. Some of us appreciate it, I sure do, everytime I see the car I have the biggest smile on my face.
Now, compare this to one of the "spoiled brat" posts...

Amazing how easy it is to tell the mature teenagers from the immature just by the way they speak. lol This right here is the difference between the people who are responsible enough to own a new car, and those who are not. To all you people who post things like "youre just jealous..." or "too bad" thanks for proving a point.

On a side note, anyone who thinks buying a new car is a good investment, you need to get your head checked. A car is probably the worst investment you can make. It wil NEVER go up in value. (Unless you park it in a garage for 30 years and wait for it to be antique... even then, probably not)

and to all the kids who think we (the 'older' people) are all attacking them, you're wrong. Its your parents who are at fault. If I had been given a TSX when I turned 17, by no means would I have been upset. Hopefully in 5 - 10 years you will all still turn out alright and not become the type of people your parents are. And trust me, as you get older you will realize how immature 16 - 18 year olds in general are, and you will be ragging on them too
Old 09-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by cnk
Im 18 im asian and I got my 2006 tsx with out paying a single penny its not that im spoiled ( at least i don't think) I think its because were asian we treat our kids like treasure on the other hand, white boys treat their kids sometimes like shit they even count every single dollar they owe but asian parents don't give a shit about money cuz they have this way of thinking i'll eventually pass everything onto my kid and yes I just graduated and yet im a dumbass barely made it to school so what tough luck for people who have gay ass parents not saying that their gay because they don't buy you a car but its because they don't actually treat their kids like treasure instead trash IM NOT RACIST FYI but yeah just wanted to speech! HOPEFULLY NO ONE WILL GET OFFENDED IF SO just holla back Pz CnK
Welcome back, cnk, and goodbye again. You registered first as 102cnk and were banned for spamming the forums on 7/10/06. Then you came back as cnk on 7/15/06 and I caught you and banned you again. At least I thought I did but I'm not sure because now you are back and gone again. If you are wondering what the offense is that got you banned again, it's not the dumb post, it's coming back under another user name to circumvent a ban on a previously registered user name.

You guys won't have to worry about another cnk type post until he tries to sneak back in again, and then we will catch him again.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Instructor

ive had my car for one and a half years and i still have not got one ticket or got into an accident. i also wash the car every week.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by danishj
ive had my car for one and a half years and i still have not got one ticket or got into an accident. i also wash the car every week.
good boy
Old 09-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Intermediate

Well, Im 20 (21 in Nov) and i bought myself the TSX, i saved up and worked for it, and now I am very happy w/ my car, I beleive the child have to pay for some of it, in order for the child to "appreciate more" with the car because they know the value of the car and how hard it is to make money and maintain a ca
IMPO

anyways....
Old 09-16-2006, 10:07 PM
B A N N E D

well in my case they thought it was a good investment for me because i had to go through 2 motors for my ek and then when i sold that and got the 240, i had to go through 2 engines with that as well. i was blowing away all my money on repairing stuff that i couldnt save any of it. their logic was probably if they got me a nice reliable sedan i wouldnt spend money modding it, or trying to save for an evo or sti lol.

man i really had my heart set on one of those 2
Old 09-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Stock TSX Driver

TSX...sub $30k car not spoiled at any age.

Rich family i know, 22 year old son, 2006 Lambo Gallardo.....spoiled.

16 year old son, 2006 Range Rover....wrecked second day. Now Audi RS4 Brand New. Spoiled.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by intensity2x
Now, compare this to one of the "spoiled brat" posts...

Amazing how easy it is to tell the mature teenagers from the immature just by the way they speak. lol This right here is the difference between the people who are responsible enough to own a new car, and those who are not. To all you people who post things like "youre just jealous..." or "too bad" thanks for proving a point.

On a side note, anyone who thinks buying a new car is a good investment, you need to get your head checked. A car is probably the worst investment you can make. It wil NEVER go up in value. (Unless you park it in a garage for 30 years and wait for it to be antique... even then, probably not)

and to all the kids who think we (the 'older' people) are all attacking them, you're wrong. Its your parents who are at fault. If I had been given a TSX when I turned 17, by no means would I have been upset. Hopefully in 5 - 10 years you will all still turn out alright and not become the type of people your parents are. And trust me, as you get older you will realize how immature 16 - 18 year olds in general are, and you will be ragging on them too
I absolutely agree. In addition to that comment, technically you tell the difference by the way we type
Old 09-17-2006, 05:12 AM
Unauthorized User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
TSX...sub $30k car not spoiled at any age.

Rich family i know, 22 year old son, 2006 Lambo Gallardo.....spoiled.

16 year old son, 2006 Range Rover....wrecked second day. Now Audi RS4 Brand New. Spoiled.
Talk about spoiled that's too much. A Lambo sheesh. I bet the parents are millionaires that's why they can afford something like that.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Stock TSX Driver

Originally Posted by VegaTSX
Talk about spoiled that's too much. A Lambo sheesh. I bet the parents are millionaires that's why they can afford something like that.
Yes they are. The dad drives a Bentley Continental Flying Spur, and the mom has a new S550....and of course they live in a 4 million dollar huge ass house.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
More power to them then.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Mugen freak

ok, here it is

Ok, ive been lurking on these forums for a few months, gathering advice on mods and accessories. This thread really touched a nerve for me, as i am a 17 year old kid who has just received a new tsx. This is my first post on these forums, so please bear with me.

When i was 14, there was nothing i wanted to do more than drive. I dreamed about it, i fantacized about it, i obsessed over it. The day i turned 15 was an exciting milestone in my life because it began the driving experience which i had been dreaming about my whole life. I started off driving with a parent inside my sister's 1999 volkswagen passat. I quickly realized (or so i thought at the time) that driving was not all it was cracked up to be. It was fun the first few times, ill admit, but soon after, it became more of a chore than something i actually wanted to do.

When i got my license at 16, it was more of a big deal; not because of the car itself, but because of the freedom that car offered me. At this time, i was still driving my sisters 1999 passat. It had a turbo v4 engine, and at least i thought it was pretty quick. Being dumb, i started racing it on the street as many kids my age do. Kicking it up to 7k rpms, feeling that rush of acceleration pushing me back in my seat, the thrill of the speedometer needle creeping up to higher and higher speeds, all gave me a sort of high.

Not once did i receive a speeding ticket, albeit i did speed almost every day, but that was because of sheer dumb luck. A month after receiving my license, i got into my first accident. It was just a minor fender bender, i was just following a cleaning van a little too closely when they slammed on their brakes in stop and go traffic. Just hearing that sickening crunch, feeling that jarring impact as i slammed into the car in front of me, chilled me to the bone. Thankfully no one was hurt, and the lady in the cleaning van was quite nice. We both pulled over to the side of the road, and called the police. The woman driving the van and I chatted for a bit, she was really very nice and understanding (maybe because it was a company van and not her personal car). Now, that accident was plenty scary for me, but seeing that cop car pull up and that officer get out really made me realize how serious a minor accident could be. Of course i received a ticket for it (a $340 one which i paid for), and the cop explained to me why it was my fault.

After the officer left, i had to do something very difficult. I had to call my father up and explain the situation to him. Suprisingly, he was not mad, just releived at the fact that i was ok. I realized then that he didnt care about the car at all, he only cared about my safety and well being. That night we had a talk about safety and responsibility regarding cars, and he explained to me how whenever i go out driving how he worries about me. Its scary for a parent to see their child start driving. Its really the first major time in a child's life where they can make their own decisions which may have fatal consequences. The responsibility part also included the fact that i have to pay for all the damages on my car myself, as well as all modifications for it, which i did and currently still do.

Now, i realized that as a 16 year old kid, i was going to make mistakes which would end up costing me monetary wise. Being a computer whiz, i decided to play to my strengths and apply for a paying job with my high school's IT department. That job, which i currently still do, led to my emerging into freelance computer work, and now i make $45/hr doing freelance. I started my own small company called SCC designs, a custom computers company with quite a few clients.

Now, i am what you might call a spoiled child. My family is wealthy, but i was taught from a very young age the true meaning of a dollar. My parents do splurge on me on occasion, but all the while teaching me responsibility and making me understand the value of these gifts. They started me off investing in the stock market at age 8, with money i had made from selling mangoes on the side of a street. Basically, from a young age, i truly did realize the value of a dollar and really learned how to save my money.

In july of this year, a month before my birthday, my father (a lawyer) calls me up and says "Come to the acura dealership, i have something to show you". Excited, i drove over and found him sitting with a car salesman looking over possible options for a car. As a kid, i was really interested in cars with tons of horsepower and speed, so the acuras were not high on my list. My dream car was an infiniti g35 coupe. Thanks to the first accident i got into, i realized that i couldnt handle a car with that kind of speed. I first test drove an acura RSX, a car which i was not a big fan of. It was sporty, a kind of entry level coupe which you see plenty of kids driving these days. I then test drove the TSX, and suprisingly i fell in love with it. The gagetry in that car seemed crazy, the acceleration good, and the asthetics of the car were very sleek. Now, i really liked the car, but instead of saying "dad, get this for me", i asked him "Dad, would you feel comfortable with me driving this car?". After going over the safety ratings with the salesman, his answer was "absolutely". That answer sealed the deal for me. I walked into that car dealership a skeptic, and i ended up walking out with a brand new TSX.

Now, the TSX was not even on my top 10 list of cars which i wanted, but the fact that my father was comfortable with the safety of it meant more than anything to me. Even if he worries for a minute less each day about me driving, then it is worth it to me. Yes the car is expensive, and yes, he did splurge on me by buying it, but i wouldnt consider that being spoiled. I understand the work which went into every dollar he spent on that car, and i understand his concerns about safety. That car is something i appreciate daily, and i hope that one day i might be able to save up enough from a full time job to buy myself a car even half that nice. I dont define the buying of the car as spoiling however, i beleive that spoiling is giving a child something which they want (in my case it would of been a g-35) and having them not appreciate the money spent on it. Instead of going with what i wanted and being a spoiled brat, i went with the more practical, safer choice, which i beleive shows responsibility. Every time i turn that key in the ignition, i appreciate his gift to me, and thats something which i will respect and cherish for the rest of my life. I understand that getting a 30k car was not nearly necessary, but sometimes its the expensive gifts in life which actually teach you the value of money as this car did for me. IMO, as long as a child can truly appreciate a gift from their parents (which most cant) then it is a worthy expenditure as it teaches them not only the value of money, but also the responsibilty which comes with posession of and upkeep of expensive gift. I just hope that my father realizes how much i appreciate his gift, and will never take it for granted.

Now after driving for two years, getting into an accident, and receiving a new car, i think that i have learned alot about responsibility and money. Driving truly made me realize how much I mean to my parents, and their trust in me by getting me a 30k automobile. I am now a responsible, defensive driver, not because i dont want to ruin my expensive car, but because of what the car means to me and my parents in terms of trust.

In conclusion, i think that while some may view parents getting their kids expensive cars as spoiling them (which in most cases it is), it is not true for all parents. Some parents, like mine, got me an expensive, safe car so that i would truly appreciate the money spent and the trust placed within me by receiving it. As a new driver, i think that the TSX is a great starting car for those parents who want to teach their kids the true value of money, trust, and responsibility, but it should be only given to those kids who would truly appreciate it. Just because a child doesnt pay for a car doesnt mean that they cant fully appreciate the value of it or the trust which their parents placed in them by buying it.

now....i apologize for rambling, but i think that everything in that post had at least some relevance to the topic. I just wanted people to realize how grouping all teenage kids who drive TSXs into the "spoiled" category is not only stereotyping, but also downright wrong due to the kids like me who truly appreciate the value of their cars. Contrary to popular belief, some kids really do appreciate the value of a dollar, as well as showing responsibility in their decisions, as i did with the TSX.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I didn't read all of that, but
Old 09-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think that there is an age limit for a TSX. I got my 04 ABP for a high school graduation present when I was 18. I took care of the car as good as anyone else would. Im from Key West, and a TSX is junk compared to some of the cars that high school kids drive there. Three kids now have black Range Rover Sports, a couple BMW 3's and 5's, Hummer H2's and H3's, and one or two Escalades. The ones who drive cars like those are spoiled. Not a kid with a TSX.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Mugen freak

heh, i live in miami, but i go to key west for track meets at the high school there (im a pole vaulter). Ive seen the kind of cars you guys drive down there and you're definately right, range rovers, porches, BMWs FILL up that high school's parking lots.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Instructor

this thread is ghey
Old 09-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crazybaboon6000
Ok, ive been lurking on these forums for a few months, gathering advice on mods and accessories. This thread really touched a nerve for me, as i am a 17 year old kid who has just received a new tsx. This is my first post on these forums, so please bear with me.
See, if more of you youngins wrote educated responses like this (Hopefully shorter ones though), you would be taken more seriously regardless of what your point is.

Back on topic, spoiled isnt necessarily in the cost of what they have. A 16 year old with a brand new civic can be just as spoiled, if not more, than a kid with a brand new mercedes. Either of them could be not spoiled as well, though not as likely. It really comes down to how your parents raised you. If you got whatever you wanted your entire life, no questions asked, youre probably spoiled. If you were taught the value of things and to earn things for yourself, and then you are given a brand new car, eh... Theres really no difinitive way to say 'oh that kid has this car, so they are spoiled.'
Old 09-18-2006, 09:50 PM
No Longer a Poseur

Originally Posted by Kream85
Well the last couple posts including mine have been badgered because of "young" people driving our babies(TSX). I would like to hear why people think that one is "spoiled" for owning a TSX. If someones' family buys their child a nice car what does that matter?

If their family can afford it why not? Every persons family is different and every child is different. Some are responsible and some arent thats life. But just because youre 16 or 21 doesnt make you a spoiled brat that has no responsibility. I know friends that are fighting in Iraq at 18.., are they too irresponsible to drive a tsx but responsible enough to defend our country?

Many people in this forum (personal Opinion) i think should take a step back and lighten up on the young ones that are driving the TSX. No one knows their situation, so for calling their parents "dumb" is ignorant in itself.

When i asked about the IS250 vs. the TSX i was jumped on for being "spoiled". Not one person knew that i pay the 403.30 + gas + maintenance + car tax + insurance! All i wanted was an answer to my question not a life lesson from everyone that apparently knows me better than me!

So Lastly, what age do you think is the youngest you should be allowed to own the TSX...? Apparently there is a certain price limit in which "youngins" can own a certain vehicle.. id like to know what it is ...

And to all the other Great posters out there keep doing youre thing.

BTW im writing this to use as help for an essay in a Psychology class, Valid responses are greatly appreciated

I didn't have time to read through this whole thread, but here's my take on things:

I was raised by what I'd consider an upper-middle-class family in an upper-middle-class neighbourhood. However, just because the family may have had the money to buy this or that, doesn't mean we automatically got what we wanted. My parents instilled into my siblings and me that it's better to *earn*, rather than to be *given*. Why? This teaches you the value of working hard for your rewards....and I've also come to realize that if I work hard for a reward, it makes me appreciate that reward that much more.

While I can't speak for everyone here, my problem is not with the young kids who are buying TSXs on their own, working hard at their jobs to *earn* the money to pay for their cars....it's with the kids whose parents simply *give* their kids a brand new TSX.

I understand parents' want to showboat to other parents by buying junior a near-luxury sporty sedan....peer pressure never ceases. In other cases, it may be that parents are over-rewarding for simple accomplishments (ie. Oh, you graduated from high school with a 60% instead of a 50%....here's a brand new car). I guess sometimes these two are combined...but neither, I believe, is productive towards raising a kid with a good work ethic, who understands the value of a dollar, and who appreciates the rewards that good, hard, honest work yields.

Now....there is also the logical side of this issue--is a $44K near-lux sporty car really the best first car for a kid to own? I'm not saying go start out with a 20 year old Buick.... but perhaps something in between a junker and a 44K car would be more prudent? I mean, if there's a chance that, since you're likely fairly fresh to the whole driving scene, would it not make more sense to screw up a, say, 16-24K car? Yes, start out with the safest car possible....but to get a good, safe, reliable car, you don't need to spend 44K. A Civic or Fit would both be excellent first cars. Both cost significanly less than a TSX, both have very good fuel economy (since if you're young, you may not have gobs of cash available to plunk down on premium gas that is consumed at several L/100Km more in the TSX), both likely cost less to insure than a TSX, and both are very safe cars.

So I guess, for me, if *you* pay for the car all on your own (or with minimal help from your parents), then good on ya.....I still think a cheaper car would be a wiser decision (to wait out the insurance drop as you get older, as well as to just be driving around a cheaper car just in case you screw it up), but it was your decision to make.

If your parents bought you a TSX for being a good kid or whatever, and they're paying for the insurance, I definitely think that a) your parents should be chastised for influencing you so negatively and b) you should not be proud of having your car, since you didn't do anything to earn the money that bought the car.

Of course, there's a whole spectrum in between those two extremes....and I guess you could say my disapproval increases as you travel from the first extreme to the last one.

Getting a car as a graduation present (unless as part of your ceremony, you developed the cure for cancer that can be extracted from corn by a device that costs $5 in parts--or something like that), is, for me, towards the second extreme. I know graduating isn't trivial (especially with the ever increasing difficulty of curricula), but education is really something you do for yourself, to ensure that you have a good chance at getting a good job that pays (so you can then be able to buy yourself your own rewards... ). Yes, I believe parents should congratulate you on a job well done, but I don't think that congratulatory gift should be of the magnitude of a car.

For the record, I'm 28.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeMa
I didn't have time to read through this whole thread, but here's my take on things:

I was raised by what I'd consider an upper-middle-class family in an upper-middle-class neighbourhood. However, just because the family may have had the money to buy this or that, doesn't mean we automatically got what we wanted. My parents instilled into my siblings and me that it's better to *earn*, rather than to be *given*. Why? This teaches you the value of working hard for your rewards....and I've also come to realize that if I work hard for a reward, it makes me appreciate that reward that much more.

While I can't speak for everyone here, my problem is not with the young kids who are buying TSXs on their own, working hard at their jobs to *earn* the money to pay for their cars....it's with the kids whose parents simply *give* their kids a brand new TSX.

I understand parents' want to showboat to other parents by buying junior a near-luxury sporty sedan....peer pressure never ceases. In other cases, it may be that parents are over-rewarding for simple accomplishments (ie. Oh, you graduated from high school with a 60% instead of a 50%....here's a brand new car). I guess sometimes these two are combined...but neither, I believe, is productive towards raising a kid with a good work ethic, who understands the value of a dollar, and who appreciates the rewards that good, hard, honest work yields.

Now....there is also the logical side of this issue--is a $44K near-lux sporty car really the best first car for a kid to own? I'm not saying go start out with a 20 year old Buick.... but perhaps something in between a junker and a 44K car would be more prudent? I mean, if there's a chance that, since you're likely fairly fresh to the whole driving scene, would it not make more sense to screw up a, say, 16-24K car? Yes, start out with the safest car possible....but to get a good, safe, reliable car, you don't need to spend 44K. A Civic or Fit would both be excellent first cars. Both cost significanly less than a TSX, both have very good fuel economy (since if you're young, you may not have gobs of cash available to plunk down on premium gas that is consumed at several L/100Km more in the TSX), both likely cost less to insure than a TSX, and both are very safe cars.

So I guess, for me, if *you* pay for the car all on your own (or with minimal help from your parents), then good on ya.....I still think a cheaper car would be a wiser decision (to wait out the insurance drop as you get older, as well as to just be driving around a cheaper car just in case you screw it up), but it was your decision to make.

If your parents bought you a TSX for being a good kid or whatever, and they're paying for the insurance, I definitely think that a) your parents should be chastised for influencing you so negatively and b) you should not be proud of having your car, since you didn't do anything to earn the money that bought the car.

Of course, there's a whole spectrum in between those two extremes....and I guess you could say my disapproval increases as you travel from the first extreme to the last one.

Getting a car as a graduation present (unless as part of your ceremony, you developed the cure for cancer that can be extracted from corn by a device that costs $5 in parts--or something like that), is, for me, towards the second extreme. I know graduating isn't trivial (especially with the ever increasing difficulty of curricula), but education is really something you do for yourself, to ensure that you have a good chance at getting a good job that pays (so you can then be able to buy yourself your own rewards... ). Yes, I believe parents should congratulate you on a job well done, but I don't think that congratulatory gift should be of the magnitude of a car.

For the record, I'm 28.
I absolutly concur with you.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
BTW im writing this to use as help for an essay in a Psychology class, Valid responses are greatly appreciated

I think that at a young age, its pretty cool when you can make a statement about yourself by the car you drive. That can be many things from a modded used car to an expensive ride. Often times, I think that wealthy parents make as much a statement about themselves when they purchase a TSX for a high school kid.

What seems crazy to me is that you are so young yet you have a monkey on your back with that huge car nut every month. I'll bet that payment is a very large chunk of your earnings. Why do you feel the need to drive a status car at this age?

I think it would be a more worthwhile study for your psychology class if you were to examine how the TSX is marketed and why it appeals to a broad age group.

I think an additional study for you to take up would be what that 403 per month would be if you were to invest it monthly and let it compound interest at a modest 7% annually. What would that be worth when you are 55? Why isnt being a millionare more appealing than the here and now, instant gratification.

Of course, there is psychology involved when you feel the need to drive a car to impress people (typically people you dont know or like!)

Theres a number of questions you could ask!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Spoiled is when your parents buy you a brand new $30k car and after a few months, you get bored and tell them you want them to eat the cost so you can buy a different car.

Spoiled is when your parents buy you a brand new $30k car and you get several speeding tickets and instead of just being smart and slowing down, you complain about how they want to take your new car away because you're being irresponsible.

Spoiled is when your parents buy you a brand new $30k car and you complain about how they skimped and didn't buy you a $35k car instead.

Spoiled is when your parents buy you a brand new $30k car to go along with the $50k car they already bought you and you take said $30k car out into the middle of a big mud pit, roll the windows down, and proceed to drive like a retarded pig.

Are you starting to get the idea here? Spoiled is not dictated by age. Spoiled is dictated by behavior. I bought my first TSX at 20 and paid for it myself because I could. I am on my second TSX and nobody has every called me spoiled because I don't do stupid things nor make stupid demands of my parents. I have no problem with a young kid who receives a nice car as a gift and has the brains to thank the parents and be grateful instead of acting like a whiny little bitch.
Bingo, its all about attitude.

There are billions of people out there who will never be able to own any car, not to mention a TSX. Technically we're all spoiled Its all relevant. If a rich family gives their child a TSX and the child is grateful and responsible, thats fine by me.

Personally I think people should earn their cars (and other possessions) through work. They tend to treat them better, drive more respectfully and end up being better people because of it.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by zendrive
I think that at a young age, its pretty cool when you can make a statement about yourself by the car you drive. That can be many things from a modded used car to an expensive ride. Often times, I think that wealthy parents make as much a statement about themselves when they purchase a TSX for a high school kid.

What seems crazy to me is that you are so young yet you have a monkey on your back with that huge car nut every month. I'll bet that payment is a very large chunk of your earnings. Why do you feel the need to drive a status car at this age?

I think it would be a more worthwhile study for your psychology class if you were to examine how the TSX is marketed and why it appeals to a broad age group.

I think an additional study for you to take up would be what that 403 per month would be if you were to invest it monthly and let it compound interest at a modest 7% annually. What would that be worth when you are 55? Why isnt being a millionare more appealing than the here and now, instant gratification.

Of course, there is psychology involved when you feel the need to drive a car to impress people (typically people you dont know or like!)

Theres a number of questions you could ask!
Ohhh... so very true.. I was thinking the same after reading te 100+ threads. Many a tiem i catch myself staring out the window to my baby and wondering why i work my ass of for this yet have nothging to show for uin my bank account. Looking back on it i was foolish yet i am happy that i made a decision and stuck with it. Now if only the airlines would hire me NOW!!!! (anyone a pilot)?
BTW thanks everyone for your responses almost 80% are getting put in my essay in some form....
Old 09-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Cruisin'

with this thread getting longer and longer.. (been reading ever since it started) i finially decided to post my .02..

some background information-
I started working at the age of 9 at my families restaurant. Usually the whole weekend, and sometimes on the weekdays. With the years passing by as it was days, my parents taught me that saftey is more important than anything. Where i am trying to go with this is that, even though i did not start getting paid till i was about 12, i had a responsibility when i was working at the restaurant. Most of of the time, i was a cashier, or hosist.

Now, how does this relate to this topic? I started driving with my dad's 96 F250 XLT CC LB, and it just wasn't cutting it. It had no airbags, suspension was shot, and was a VERY heavy truck. (i loved the truck, it just paying the bills that cots a lot) Since i have been getting paid, i have to pay for my insurance (its under my parents name), gas, maintance, etc.

Now, i know most of these "youngsters" are probably not as responsibile as me, i had no life outside of school. i kind of regret it, but i love for a fact, that i have a great, relibable car to depend on. My parents (as what most people should think) say that safty should be the number 1 thing to think about.

I dont speed or anything, but then again i pay for most of my bills. I paid about 11K + 6K (bought the truck from my dad, then sold it). so about 15K out of 32K. I have to pay it back to them, but i am happy that they let me get a new car.

sorry, kind of long...

CLIFF Notes:
started working at the age of 9
got new car (payed bout half on my own)
Old 09-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I cant believe ya'll stretched to 5 pages of this bullshit.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Instructor

this thread is totally pointless and gay....please dont post any more bullshit here.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Cruisin'

The only reason I'm driving a TSX at 19 is because I'm going to college for free and the car had 75,000 miles on it when it was purchased.

But on a different note...

A lot of parents put their kids in junk because they almost expect them to crash it. Well, if they expect them to crash the car then why isn't safety a concern?? God forbid anything happens, I think the parents would probably much rather have spent the extra money than lose their son or daughter. Which poses an interesting question, how much money is it worth to potentially save a life?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by pache
The only reason I'm driving a TSX at 19 is because I'm going to college for free and the car had 75,000 miles on it when it was purchased.

But on a different note...

A lot of parents put their kids in junk because they almost expect them to crash it. Well, if they expect them to crash the car then why isn't safety a concern?? God forbid anything happens, I think the parents would probably much rather have spent the extra money than lose their son or daughter. Which poses an interesting question, how much money is it worth to potentially save a life?
You can buy a very safe car these days without spending $30k. The Honda Civic, Scion tC, and other similar vehicles actually have very good crash ratings. Maybe not quite as good as a TSX, but certainly good enough not to risk anyone's life.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Cruisin'

oh yeah definitely. you don't have to spend 30k to get a really safe car. a jetta or a civic would be excellent for a new driver. or you could do what i did and bargain a tsx down to the price of a new jetta
Old 09-24-2006, 04:14 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts
Hello all, after reading a couple of the first posts in this thread, I felt I'd contribute my $0.02.

First a little background on myself...I'm 15 years old and I initially joined these forums inquiring about an Acura TL. My situation was that my father/grandmother would buy my first car for me (along with me contributing ~$5k) and we were looking at used Acura TLs. I started a thread in the TL sub-forums regarding what I wanted to do to my TL if I were to get one, and I received more "spoiled rich kid" responses than I did helpful, substantial posts.

Now I understand where people can get the mindset and mentality that kids who receive a brand new car for their first car, let alone a $30k TSX, are spoiled and rich. I think this applies to the saying that one bad apple can ruin the bunch. Kids who are irresponsible and get tickets and do stupid sh*t to their cars and go complain about it are the ones who do not deserve the car, let alone any car at all. I actually believe the majority of first time drivers (at least the ones I know) are very responsible, and they deserve the car they are given to them. And what's the difference if a kid gets a brand new civic or a brand new mercedes? If their family is privelaged enough to give their child (who hopefully, rightfully deserves it) a nice car, then great...good for them. Then again there are those kids who bitch and moan because their Range Rover Sport came with crappy 18" wheels and they want 22's on there (actual case with this girl at my school who just graduated....barely). Well I think my input has been said and I've gotten to the point where I'm just rambling on and on...
Old 09-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Iakonafuji
Hello all, after reading a couple of the first posts in this thread, I felt I'd contribute my $0.02.

First a little background on myself...I'm 15 years old and I initially joined these forums inquiring about an Acura TL. My situation was that my father/grandmother would buy my first car for me (along with me contributing ~$5k) and we were looking at used Acura TLs. I started a thread in the TL sub-forums regarding what I wanted to do to my TL if I were to get one, and I received more "spoiled rich kid" responses than I did helpful, substantial posts.

Now I understand where people can get the mindset and mentality that kids who receive a brand new car for their first car, let alone a $30k TSX, are spoiled and rich. I think this applies to the saying that one bad apple can ruin the bunch. Kids who are irresponsible and get tickets and do stupid sh*t to their cars and go complain about it are the ones who do not deserve the car, let alone any car at all. I actually believe the majority of first time drivers (at least the ones I know) are very responsible, and they deserve the car they are given to them. And what's the difference if a kid gets a brand new civic or a brand new mercedes? If their family is privelaged enough to give their child (who hopefully, rightfully deserves it) a nice car, then great...good for them. Then again there are those kids who bitch and moan because their Range Rover Sport came with crappy 18" wheels and they want 22's on there (actual case with this girl at my school who just graduated....barely). Well I think my input has been said and I've gotten to the point where I'm just rambling on and on...
You have some good points, but it's already been said in this thread why most older people think this is a bad idea, why the parents' should know better than buying a ~$30k+ car - let alone a new one, and it's understood that most younger people are incapable of understanding why (no offense intended, it's just how it is).

My daughter's 1st car will not be a nice new one - it will be a slightly used, safe econo car, regardless of what her friends have. I have no doubt we'll be able to afford a new sport-lux sedan for her as well by the time she can drive so it's not a matter of $$.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Well the last couple posts including mine have been badgered because of "young" people driving our babies(TSX). I would like to hear why people think that one is "spoiled" for owning a TSX. If someones' family buys their child a nice car what does that matter?

If their family can afford it why not? Every persons family is different and every child is different. Some are responsible and some arent thats life. But just because youre 16 or 21 doesnt make you a spoiled brat that has no responsibility. I know friends that are fighting in Iraq at 18.., are they too irresponsible to drive a tsx but responsible enough to defend our country?

Many people in this forum (personal Opinion) i think should take a step back and lighten up on the young ones that are driving the TSX. No one knows their situation, so for calling their parents "dumb" is ignorant in itself.

When i asked about the IS250 vs. the TSX i was jumped on for being "spoiled". Not one person knew that i pay the 403.30 + gas + maintenance + car tax + insurance! All i wanted was an answer to my question not a life lesson from everyone that apparently knows me better than me!

So Lastly, what age do you think is the youngest you should be allowed to own the TSX...? Apparently there is a certain price limit in which "youngins" can own a certain vehicle.. id like to know what it is ...

And to all the other Great posters out there keep doing youre thing.

Well man, first thing is $403.30 is a good monthly payment....you leasing or did you have a nice down payment?

You must be working your butt off at 20 if you can afford that on your own. many of us, and i'm not old, just believe along the lines that a 16 year old to college age kid should not be granted the responsibility of driving a $30,000 car - brand new.

it's just a certain philosophy some people have. when i was in high school and college, my cars were hand-me-down cars. i took care of them, probably as you take care of yours, but i also went to a college where i was surrounded by kids with $30k-$60k cars.

lots of parents can afford to give these to their kids, but it's a very valuable item to give to someone who is hardly an adult (and given the way many of these people acted at college, you can believe me that they aren't adults yet).

some kids are more mature than others, so there are obviously exceptions, but when i have kids at driving age, i'll put them in a safe, used car that costs me probably 5-15k. cars are not an investment and are not a thing worth blowing a lot of money on, especially in the 16-22 year old range (or however old you might be when you graduate college and go into the real world and get a job and take on more responsibilities), as this age group of drivers is statistically very irresponsible. if statistically they are irresponsible, then logically, why would a parent give their kid an expensive car?

this car is a luxury item, which many people think you need to earn to get to that point in your life. high school to college kids have not done much in general to earn luxury items, though again, there are exceptions.

it's everyone's choice on how to raise their kids and their right to raise them how they want to. but when young kids are seen with luxury items, the perception will always be that they are spoiled.

i'd say that if you are paying $403/mo plus insurance ($100 a month) plus maintenence and gas (lets' say average of $75/mo), then there has to be somewhere you're getting the $580/mo post tax (10,000 a year pre tax) dollars. plus you are in college paying 500-1000/semester for books, college expenses, etc. etc.

it's great that your parents can give you this situation, but it'd be pretty tough for most to be in college and afford around 10k per year in pre tax vehicle expenses.

congrats to you.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by derbaff
I remember what kind of driver I was at 16, and my parents would have been fools to let me drive a $30k car. Not that I was a bad kid or a bad driver, but I was definatly an inexperienced driver who made a lot of mistakes. If you make a mistake that wrecks a car, better it be a modest car or a beater than an expensive luxery vehicle.
amen.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I think the TSX really isn't for a new 16 yr old driver because it just doesn't fit their age group. The term "spoiled" kid comes into my mind when I hear a 16-18 yr old kid gets any new car.

Coming from a normal family and not being spoiled, I didn't get a new car when I turned 16 yrs old. I got my parents 8 yr old 1988 Accord. I was happy and content to even have a car at that age. I didn't need a new car because I got into a fender bender less than 3 months later. Plus, I was just thrilled to be driving a car instead of riding a bike.
i agree 100%

Quick Reply: TSX too old for youngins?