TSX too old for youngins?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets not jump on TT/TSX/ 2 tickets now... can people if they dont mind write if they are fathers or not and whether or not they bought their first car . My reasoning behind this is i am starting to see a trend that the 29-39 age bracket is against immaturity. Many of you are like duh.. but i dont think the under 22 age group understands what "immaturity" is. That concept is the vague one not whether or not the TSX is suitable for the child.

Catch my drift??? Man im gonna have a hard time writing this one
Old 09-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Your reply clearly indicates that you missed the point of my post.
I think most of the children are missing the point.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Banned

TSX is OLD WOMEN car
period

Old 09-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by fuckleberry
TSX is OLD WOMEN car
period

Its true. Anytime I see another one, its some woman in her 40's rollin stock.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kream85
Lets not jump on TT/TSX/ 2 tickets now... can people if they dont mind write if they are fathers or not and whether or not they bought their first car . My reasoning behind this is i am starting to see a trend that the 29-39 age bracket is against immaturity. Many of you are like duh.. but i dont think the under 22 age group understands what "immaturity" is. That concept is the vague one not whether or not the TSX is suitable for the child.

Catch my drift??? Man im gonna have a hard time writing this one

I will side with some parents on this one.
Spoiled kids are so because of the way they were raised, not because you buy them a 30K car before they leave for college; by that time, if you raised your child with "good values", he/she will appreciate the value of things adecuately; and a nice, reliable car is a good way to help them start their own life in the real world.

That being said, I will definitely buy my daughter a new car when the time comes, and with as many security features as available -we know the TSX is currently as good/safe as it gets - living in the snowbelt, I would never give her an old used car. Knowing myself, I would be too worried about it. And yes, unfortunately security doesn't come cheap as we all know.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
my parents bought me a TSX when i was 16 because they believed it was safe car to drive in and i am still responsible with it after 2 years.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Banned

so this is my last post on this topic since my opinion carries no weight anyways. society puts so much pressure on people my age to 'show-off', if you will, what they have/can have. And as Ostrich stated, 'having a good car shouldnt be at the top of your list'. In response to that, I have to say that that is the only thing most guys my age think about, that or getting into college. Seriously, nothing else is as important as those two. Go ahead and call me irresponsible and whatnot for getting 2 ticket, i admit it was a stupid mistake and was made for no apparent reason. I got this car because i make good grades in school, am very involved in community service, havent gotten in trouble with the law as many people my age have, I dont do drugs, and I am "a good son". There are many ways to look at this, you could have a kid that drives a little fast, but gets good grades and makes smart decisions. In that case, you give him a car that he wants, he deserves it, he gets in a accident, no car. That is what my parents said when I got this car. Go ahead and critizise me all you want, free-game. AND YES Jazzyguy, mommy and daddy did pay for both my tickets, but i punished myself for what I did, I gave up going out for 2 months, and they thought that was punishment enough. Yes some people might think that is not enough punishment, but everyone has their own parenting styles right? And due to society's expectations of a young man like myself to go partying every weekend night, and to always be hanging out with his friends and not have to earn for himself, this was the most fit adjudication. And if it teaches your child a lesson, which it has taught me, then you have succeeded. Well thats enough for this essay, goodnight.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:51 AM
cnk
Banned

Talking re:

Im 18 im asian and I got my 2006 tsx with out paying a single penny its not that im spoiled ( at least i don't think) I think its because were asian we treat our kids like treasure on the other hand, white boys treat their kids sometimes like shit they even count every single dollar they owe but asian parents don't give a shit about money cuz they have this way of thinking i'll eventually pass everything onto my kid and yes I just graduated and yet im a dumbass barely made it to school so what tough luck for people who have gay ass parents not saying that their gay because they don't buy you a car but its because they don't actually treat their kids like treasure instead trash IM NOT RACIST FYI but yeah just wanted to speech! HOPEFULLY NO ONE WILL GET OFFENDED IF SO just holla back Pz CnK
Old 09-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Burning Brakes

As everybody said, your replies will vary. I got my TSX when I was 18. Started off with a 1990 Corolla (still have and love and care for!). It's all about maturatiy level. I'm 18, usually this brings negative connotations. But let's see, my GPA 3.8+, Full scholarship, (sophomore with junior status) in college, teach sunday school, work 3 jobs, and officer of prominent clubs at school. Clean driving record. Extremely good at repair/restoring cars. I don't think I'm part of the norm of dumbasses. Forget the asian comments, parents have different upbringings and different mentalitys.

Not to brag or shoot off, just that people are out there that have same and if not better credentials than i do. I paid 10,000 (saved up through life various interest bearing accounts and some bonds) of my TSX and intend to pay the rest back to my parents. In addition to that I had more money but decided to take some risks and make investments (of course those went bad which is why FBI has some of my money, but what can I do).

Old 09-16-2006, 01:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jazzyguy
I absolutely, 100%, whole heartedly agree with this post. No need for a 16 year old to get any brand new car. I was content with getting my father's 10 year old Grand Am and what a POS, but I loved it none-the-less. Sure at the time I would have loved a TSX (or equivalent there of) but I don't think I would be the person I am today if my parents did all that for me. They knew what they were doing too because they had money/riches and could of easily purchased a new car for me but instead throughout my life they taught me the value of a dollar. And for this I appreciate what they did.

Its dumb to think why not give a new car to your child if you have the money. (lets get beyond the reason of learning the value of the dollar). Wouldnt you want the best for your child, all the airbag and safety features found on newer cars. I certainly would. And teens will try fast and stupid in any car you give them POS or new.

See, obviously at that age you DID NOT understand the value of the dollar. If you did they would have gotten you that new car. You were too immature at that age, and your parents agreed and made you have that used car. I know many friends that have gotten new 35K+ cars when first getting their license at 16. They all came out fine. It just depends on how you were brought up by your parents, you need to be shown the value of the dollar much earlier on.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by crispy34
Its dumb to think why not give a new car to your child if you have the money. (lets get beyond the reason of learning the value of the dollar). Wouldnt you want the best for your child, all the airbag and safety features found on newer cars. I certainly would. And teens will try fast and stupid in any car you give them POS or new.
Rare is the time when getting a top-rated car for safety requires a new entry-lux vehicle. It can happen, I suppose, but rare. Again, that money is far better put (once a safe car is achieved) into the bank or an investment than it is in a rapidly depreciating asset so it can be spent on something that is worthwhile. Perspective.

I am 32, a father for one of those years, and will not buy my kid a new car. The '04 TSX is quite possibly the only new car I'll ever own myself... we were in a good spot in life and my salary alone had just cleared six figures and a new car was a real treat and reward for all the hard work over the previous years. There's more important things to me than new cars, else I'd go buy an M5 tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:31 AM
The Village Idiot

Originally Posted by cnk
Im 18 im asian and I got my 2006 tsx with out paying a single penny its not that im spoiled ( at least i don't think) I think its because were asian we treat our kids like treasure on the other hand, white boys treat their kids sometimes like shit they even count every single dollar they owe but asian parents don't give a shit about money cuz they have this way of thinking i'll eventually pass everything onto my kid and yes I just graduated and yet im a dumbass barely made it to school so what tough luck for people who have gay ass parents not saying that their gay because they don't buy you a car but its because they don't actually treat their kids like treasure instead trash IM NOT RACIST FYI but yeah just wanted to speech! HOPEFULLY NO ONE WILL GET OFFENDED IF SO just holla back Pz CnK
Using punctuation and paragraphs would help us out a lot. You seem to have a distorted and narrow view on how people choose to raise their kids. Although it is evident that the methods of parenting can be different between different cultures, that is not to say there's a right and wrong way.

Not giving a child car absolutely does not mean they are treating their kids like trash; it is however a reasonable approach in teaching an individual responsibility and value of hard work. Hope that helps!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:42 AM
B A N N E D

i got my tsx as a graduation gift and my parents arnt rich or anything, they just thought of it as an investment and since they know i maintain my rides better than they do they figured it was ok. i do all my oil changes, install all my own parts and keep the car clean. so all the people who complain need to quit generalizing.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:44 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by vitocorleone
Rare is the time when getting a top-rated car for safety requires a new entry-lux vehicle. It can happen, I suppose, but rare. Again, that money is far better put (once a safe car is achieved) into the bank or an investment than it is in a rapidly depreciating asset so it can be spent on something that is worthwhile. Perspective.

I am 32, a father for one of those years, and will not buy my kid a new car. The '04 TSX is quite possibly the only new car I'll ever own myself... we were in a good spot in life and my salary alone had just cleared six figures and a new car was a real treat and reward for all the hard work over the previous years. There's more important things to me than new cars, else I'd go buy an M5 tomorrow.

i wouldnt buy my kid a new car either, buy him a pos to get him from point a to point b. once i know hes responsible im getting him whatever he wants.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:54 AM
Instructor

Honestly,
Who gives a flying fuck if there 16-100 and own a tsx
parents are there to watch for your security and safety.
would you give your kid a 10,000 kia and just die and never have the car fix.
i mean cmon. parents buy it for a reason.
i never wanted this car. they just gave me this and yes its a blessing. maybe its cause im repsonsible and get good grades.
it just pisses me of this is 90% of what you guys talk about it.
so shuttup and get over it. theres nothing you can do about it now.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by ttefabian
Honestly,
Who gives a flying fuck if there 16-100 and own a tsx
parents are there to watch for your security and safety.
would you give your kid a 10,000 kia and just die and never have the car fix.
i mean cmon. parents buy it for a reason.
i never wanted this car. they just gave me this and yes its a blessing. maybe its cause im repsonsible and get good grades.
it just pisses me of this is 90% of what you guys talk about it.
so shuttup and get over it. theres nothing you can do about it now.
So then whats your point? I think most of us have beef with stupidity and immaturity, not youth or well intentioned parents. TSX's that are well earned are all good in my book. Congrats on your hard work.

And for you young posers who think were all "jealous", my parents bought me a BMW 325is, that was $32,000....back in 1994 dollars. I'm not even close to being jealous of you....I see too many kids driving around my town in M3s to know that the TSX isn't the hottest car a kid can get. So shutup and get over yourself - if you don't need to talk because you claim to be one of the good ones, then don't talk.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:24 AM
Advanced

The way I see it... If you're 16-18 years old (or older), and your parents bought you a brand new car over $20,000, you're spoiled. Hell, if they buy you any nice car, whether it be used, new, whatever, you're spoiled.

You don't have to be an ungrateful kid to be spoiled. Just the fact that your mommy and daddy bought you a nice car, and you didn't spend one penny on it makes you spoiled. In that case, your parents spoiled you. Even if you take incredible care of the car and treat it like your pride and joy, you're still spoiled.

There are so many kids out there who's families can't afford even one decent car. For a 16 year old to get a TSX for their first car is just incredibly fortunate, and in many ways completely unfair because really, what can a teenager do to deserve a $30,000 present? How is one teenager more deserving of a gift like that than another.

When I turned 16, I got a hand-me down 1990 Integra. I thought it was a great car, and I was happy to have it and took care of it. Then 3 years later, my parents went out and bought me a 1997 Integra (in 2000). It was a little over $14,000. I didn't pay a dime. I loved that car. I washed and waxed it regularly. I never got a ticket or got into an accident. I was a straight A student, who never got into trouble at all. Do you think I thought I deserved that car? Absolutely not... and I was embarrassed that I had it from day 1 because everyone knew my parents bought me the car.

I don't look down on someone who's parents buy them their car. However, all those people should realize that their new TSX isn't actually their's, but instead it's their parents' car that they happen to let you drive.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Sure, if you have the money, spend it however you want. But if you want respect, don't get something "for free" and then trash it. Too many of us have obviously seen this.

IMO, as long as you appreciate and learn to take care of and maintain a car, it doesn't bother me what your parents get you. But too many young-uns behave spoiled.

I think the psychology behind it is that once you start earning enough money to pay for things yourself, you see the value in it. You recognize that if you take care of things, you save money in the long run, etc. Some people may never get it regardless of age, but it's obvious that too many of us have seen this in too many young people.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Advanced

This is not meant to be cruel to the youngins, but the more some of you post in this thread, the younger you appear to the rest of us.

I know it's hard to understand now, but at your age your perspective on things is just not the same as someone who is 30, and living on their own. You simply don't have the life experience to understand what many of us are trying to explain. So, you're probably better off not trying to hard to make us "understand" where you're coming from. It's just not gonna get very far, just like it doesn't get very far when you try and convince your parents you're smarter than they are about something.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigerriot
it doesn't get very far when you try and convince your parents you're smarter than they are about something.

My SAT scores are higher than my parents, does that count?
Old 09-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

See, obviously at that age you DID NOT understand the value of the dollar. If you did they would have gotten you that new car. You were too immature at that age, and your parents agreed and made you have that used car. I know many friends that have gotten new 35K+ cars when first getting their license at 16. They all came out fine. It just depends on how you were brought up by your parents, you need to be shown the value of the dollar much earlier on.
You are totaly diluted if you think that buying a brand new $30+ car has anything to do with safety. Also, from what I've seen (friends of mine) who had a BMW, etc. bought for them by their parents, they did not turn out all right at all. They are all (every single one of them) living from paycheck to paycheck not saving a dime.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
See, obviously at that age you DID NOT understand the value of the dollar. If you did they would have gotten you that new car. You were too immature at that age, and your parents agreed and made you have that used car. I know many friends that have gotten new 35K+ cars when first getting their license at 16. They all came out fine. It just depends on how you were brought up by your parents, you need to be shown the value of the dollar much earlier
on.
Maybe I didn't understand the value of a dollar at 16, maybe I did. I think at the time I thought I knew, which brings me to my point...... no 16 year old in the western world fully understands the value of a dollar, especially if your in the situation where your parents give you a brand new car. I do know however that I dont live paycheck to paycheck which is why I think my parents did a stellar job. And remeber what I said before, my parents could have done, it hands down. I my opinion its, extremely foolish and just plaind dead wrong to buy your kid a $35+ car.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

I have to agree with Jazzyguy.

Last week, some teenaged girls all got seriously hurt in a BMW when it met up with a semi truck. So, sometimes money can't buy you enough security. Although, if it were a car vs. car accident, they probably would have been better off in the BMW than a small econobox.

And people have to, somehow, learn to save money.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
My SAT scores are higher than my parents, does that count?
No, because SAT scores don't mean too much in real life - they only measure what colleges think they want you to know before starting. Much of what is being discussed would be better phrased as "wisdom" than "intelligence". Or, even just "experience" (though some would also call that "wisdom").

It's great that some of the young people on this board are working hard and earning their TSX - some through working one or more jobs, some through their parents... however, unless your parents are also going to pay for your education and also your first house, then you'd have been better telling them to buy you a nice safe used car for half the price of a new TSX and investing the other half (or paying for some of college if that's the point you're at).

Regardless of whether you bought it or someone else did, you don't NEED a new car even though it may seem like one of the most important things in your world. You do/will need a good education to be successful, be it college or specialized training, you will need a home to live in and, in today's working world, you will probably need a "rainy day" fund to carry you through at least one tough spot. Not to mention you probably won't have any Social Security fund so you'd better start saving for retirement yesterday.

All that being said. Part of being young is being ignorant and ignoring what old people say, and part of being old is thinking you're still not old and that you can help those that really are young. Good luck to you all.

By the way, what psych class is this for? Curious, that's all (I have undergrad and grad degrees in psych - and they're not only a prerequisite for my job in technology but they're used often as well - and no, I'm not in marketing!).
Old 09-16-2006, 12:22 PM
AlwysCleanURArely c ASpec

Kream85.. excellent point you bring up, im 20 years old and I often get people that think I'm spoiled or whatever for having a nice car. It seems to happen pretty often depending where you go and what not. Everyone must recognize that there is a different standard of living for everyone and this is not such a big deal to some people's parents. EurTSX, haha my SAT scores are the highest in my family, of course we need to get rewarded my sister at my age got a passat, maybe she should've studied more and could be rollin in the TSX
Old 09-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Team Owner

No, because SAT scores don't mean too much in real life - they only measure what colleges think they want you to know before starting. Much of what is being discussed would be better phrased as "wisdom" than "intelligence". Or, even just "experience" (though some would also call that "wisdom").

It's great that some of the young people on this board are working hard and earning their TSX - some through working one or more jobs, some through their parents... however, unless your parents are also going to pay for your education and also your first house, then you'd have been better telling them to buy you a nice safe used car for half the price of a new TSX and investing the other half (or paying for some of college if that's the point you're at).

Regardless of whether you bought it or someone else did, you don't NEED a new car even though it may seem like one of the most important things in your world. You do/will need a good education to be successful, be it college or specialized training, you will need a home to live in and, in today's working world, you will probably need a "rainy day" fund to carry you through at least one tough spot. Not to mention you probably won't have any Social Security fund so you'd better start saving for retirement yesterday.

All that being said. Part of being young is being ignorant and ignoring what old people say, and part of being old is thinking you're still not old and that you can help those that really are young. Good luck to you all.

By the way, what psych class is this for? Curious, that's all (I have undergrad and grad degrees in psych - and they're not only a prerequisite for my job in technology but they're used often as well - and no, I'm not in marketing!).

I was just being sarcastic. And yes, I help pay for my car and I pay for my classes as well. Just to let you know buddy. Summer vacation don't exist in my dictionary.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Pro

I was just being sarcastic. And yes, I help pay for my car and I pay for my classes as well. Just to let you know buddy. Summer vacation don't exist in my dictionary.
Well, yeah, I'm an old man of 32 that drinks too much wine so my reading skills ain't what they used to be. Sorry I missed the sarcasm.

I was in a similar situation as you, working part time during the year and full time during summer and I turned out ok, though my car was bought by my parents was 7 years old and with 100k miles already on it (and they helped a lot with my undergrad education). I traded it in with 205k miles for a 3 year old Integra, which I traded in toward my new TSX... which I'll have for 10 years or more.

However, this doesn't change what I said regarding better use of that money - being a parent, of COURSE I understand wanting to get nice things for your kids... my point was that the kids, being kids, don't understand that it'd be better to tell your parents "thanks, i know you love me and want to reward me, but i'd rather have a good used car and have the extra money invested for me".
Old 09-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Instructor

I pay for insurance, i pay for my mods in my car, i pay for my books in college, and i pay for my classes.
Yes young i agree dont deserve a car like that if they dont play shit.
Ive been paying for stuff such as food,gas,clothes,insurance, since i was 16 going to 17.
I know how to manage money.
Soon enough this car is going to be under my name.
I honestly wished i got a super cheap ass broken down piece of shit car. But instead they saw the hard work and responsibilty i do.
So im guessing i deserve this?
Old 09-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by danishj
i think everyone that nags on us young people are just jealous that they didnt get that kind of stuff when they were young. TOO BAD. but ill join the bandwagon when im 40 and my kids are given vaccines for cancer and other stuff i cant even think of.

seriously right on! they are jealous that it took them so many years to get it while the younger kids got it w/o having to work their asses off for it. (I, for one though, are one of those people who had to fork out money for the tsx, but I'm not jealous of the 16-19 year olds who receive one from their parents...power to them!)
Old 09-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Team Owner

Well, yeah, I'm an old man of 32 that drinks too much wine so my reading skills ain't what they used to be. Sorry I missed the sarcasm.

I was in a similar situation as you, working part time during the year and full time during summer and I turned out ok, though my car was bought by my parents was 7 years old and with 100k miles already on it (and they helped a lot with my undergrad education). I traded it in with 205k miles for a 3 year old Integra, which I traded in toward my new TSX... which I'll have for 10 years or more.

However, this doesn't change what I said regarding better use of that money - being a parent, of COURSE I understand wanting to get nice things for your kids... my point was that the kids, being kids, don't understand that it'd be better to tell your parents "thanks, i know you love me and want to reward me, but i'd rather have a good used car and have the extra money invested for me".

Good point. I already respect and adore my parents enough. I give them my thanks by giving them a envelope full of money at the end of each month, and can't thank them enough for what they've given me. But regardless, good point my man.

You're not old, get over it.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Got Ramen?

Originally Posted by cnk
are you that blind? your first sentence alone confirms that you are spoiled and i don't know what kind of asian you are and how you're raised, but you have no idea what asian family values and expectations have. and you're also being racist.

i'm asian, and i earn everything myself. My family doenst just pour money onto me spoiling me with goods. my dad believes in earning everything on your own cause that's how he went through life. to even give a child a car is spoiling them from his point of view. i was fortunate to receive an accord when i started driving and as i watched my friends receive new cars over the years from their parents, i grew jealous. it wasn't till i graduated, got a job and then decided to put money down and go for a tsx. so count yourself lucky.

granted, i have no problem with young people receiving a TSX from their parents. ANd like a lot of people who replied, it's the maturity level of these youngsters that get bashed. and from what you just posted above, it shows just how "mature" you really are. it's ignorant idiots like you who don't get respect.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cnk
Actually, on average, the dynamic is more the opposite. Asian parents, most conditioned by centuries of Confucian ideology are conservative and driven by an ascetic work ethic. Caucasians in the U.S., on the other hand, though also fundamentally affected by the Protestant work ethic, have also been acculturated to a clear rugged invidualism, which means they tend to treat their kids as individuals, encouraging freedom of thought and expression as well as making an effort to enhance their self-worth. Add to this, the farily recent trend of quality vs. quantity in child-rearing philosphies in Western societies, and you will find, in sum, that whites are more likely to pamper and dote on their children than Asians.

I suspect you and your Asian friends in your Portland community are more in an affluent enclave (and more culturally assimilated to American values) where they tend to spoil their kids. But that dynamic is quite different from the majority of large Asian communities in America, which are much more Chinatown-centered or influenced, and most likely to uphold traditonal mores of frugality.

But no one can blame you for your environment or experiences. The best thing, since you are just starting college, is to take Asian Am classes and classes in sociology. It will enrich and broaden your perspective much. (And help you to undersand and digest what I just wrote, lol)
Old 09-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Here to poke fun at you!

Originally Posted by hyun
i got my tsx as a graduation gift and my parents arnt rich or anything, they just thought of it as an investment and since they know i maintain my rides better than they do they figured it was ok. i do all my oil changes, install all my own parts and keep the car clean. so all the people who complain need to quit generalizing.

...I'm w/hyun.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cnk

I apologize on behalf of all asian people on this forum, for this idiot's retarded remark. Thank you for understanding.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by tlbkcal
seriously right on! they are jealous that it took them so many years to get it while the younger kids got it w/o having to work their asses off for it. (I, for one though, are one of those people who had to fork out money for the tsx, but I'm not jealous of the 16-19 year olds who receive one from their parents...power to them!)
I still don't get why you guys think were jealous....some of us had it better than any of you (I did) and we all know that the TSX isn't the most desireable car for anyone in your demographic.

Projecting jealousy onto us is just conceitedness on your part....like I said before, get over yourselves.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cnk
A high school graduate writes like this.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Instructor

honestly,
just shuttup people. we heard it all. save your time and effort into typing someting we all care about because there is about 50 forums of this and were all sick and tired of hearing this.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kream85

BTW im writing this to use as help for an essay in a Psychology class, Valid responses are greatly appreciated
Not sure which aspect of the pysche you are considering, but briefly,

PARENTS

Compensatory effects--possibility of parents spoiling kids because they were denied in their lives.

Individual differences--in terms of response to peers and comparisons. Some parents are more sensitive to what their peers are giving their kids.

Status characteristics and stratification--(ok this is sociology or social psychology) upper class parents want to re-inforce their class standing as opposed to middle-class parents, who can only give the used Accord, etc.

Quality vs. quantity in child rearing--Parents now tend to have fewer kids to invest more concentrated resources into their children's lives, thus giving them "quality."

KIDS

Marginilization--if (upper class) friends have Bimmers, Lexuses, Acuras, I must also have one or be a dweeb.

Status--See above.

Entitlement--I'm a good kid, only kid, only son, only girl, really smart, really pretty, really cool, etc., so I deserve the best. (Perhaps the result of quality vs. quantity parenting approach. See above.)

POSTERS (why their negative reaction)

Norms--(more social psychology) some posters may have been conditioned by the typical Protestant work ethic to believe that character, value and life experience are maximized only when something is acquired after the requisite (or more) amount of work.

Invidious distinction--some may be envious that they did not get anything like the TSX in their teens (like me--got a Pontiac Catalina--like it sounds, it was a boat).

Social control--self-policing function of communities (like AcuraZine) to safeguard, watchdog its members to ensure social control, this is, cooperation, cohesion and the reinforcement of social norms (see above).

Anyway, just some thoughts and theories for you to chew on. If you want to use any, let me know, and I'll tell you how to cite it.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Banned

I apologize on behalf of all asian people on this forum, for this idiot's retarded remark. Thank you for understanding.

"cnk" got you, this moron is just yanking peoples chains
read the other of his 2 posts

TROLL
Old 09-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fuckleberry

"cnk" got you, this moron is just yanking peoples chains
read the other of his 2 posts

TROLL

Son of a...

Quick Reply: TSX too old for youngins?