TSX--tight suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
TSX--tight suspension?

Just got my TSX a week ago and am generally very happy (other than the poor sound system). What I'm surprised at, and certainly didn't notice on the test drive (on mostly smooth streets), is how "tight" the suspension is. I notice every little bump and gradation in road surface, sometime to the point that the car feels a bit jangly (very different than my 96 Aud A4, which had a German sport feel in terms of the sensing the road, but certainly softened the bumps more). I'm just wondering if this is common to everyone--and if not, what one can do to perhaps "cushion" things a bit.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Go and check the tire pressure first. It's very common that the tire pressure is set higher than normal. That might soften the ride a little.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
Go and check the tire pressure first. It's very common that the tire pressure is set higher than normal. That might soften the ride a little.
I agree. I was shocked to find that the tires were inflated to 40 lbs off the dealer's lot! I have no idea why they were inflated so high, and the dealer seemed genuinely surprised too.

After adjusting the pressure down to 32#, the ride was a little softer.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:45 PM
AutoX'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Honda's are shipped with high tire pressures to prevent tire flat spotting when the cars are sitting on trains, boats, and in shipping yards.

Setting tire pressure is part of PDI, and EVERY dealer knows Honda's come to them with 'shipping pressure' in the tires. If they're suprised... turn around and walk out of there.

If they didn't set the pressure, they didn't do the PDI correctly... makes you wonder what else they didn't do at PDI... despite charging you for it.

-SWRT
Old 03-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Racer

Many owners report that the ride does not seem as harsh after about a month. I suspect that some exercising of the suspension causes it to become less stiff. And, in addition, the owner becomes more accustomed to the ride. The first month, I really noticed the harsh ride. But, now it does not bother me now as long as I stay away from potholes, speed bumps, and other challenges to the suspension. On the other hand, I always appreciate the handling.

But, it is a stiff suspension. It is the only car that I have driven that causes me to avoid rough spots in the road with the same care I did when on a two wheeler.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, I remember the day I bought the TSX, I gave her a good maiden trip, and came back with a pretty bad back pains. I was pretty dismayed about it.

Then, after 2-3k km's, it seemed like the shock absorbers were broken in, and they were somewhat smoother.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
Many owners report that the ride does not seem as harsh after about a month. I suspect that some exercising of the suspension causes it to become less stiff. And, in addition, the owner becomes more accustomed to the ride. The first month, I really noticed the harsh ride. But, now it does not bother me now as long as I stay away from potholes, speed bumps, and other challenges to the suspension. On the other hand, I always appreciate the handling.

But, it is a stiff suspension. It is the only car that I have driven that causes me to avoid rough spots in the road with the same care I did when on a two wheeler.
That's interesting. Coming from my Honda Civic, the TSX wins hands down on smooth ride. I don't feel half as many bumps as i do in the civic. (I still have both so i can ride on the same roads and compare). The TSX handles the pothole hell called NJ pretty well. ;-)

Jennifer
Old 03-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm up to 6000 miles now, and actually think it's too soft. Thought it was ideal when I initially got it.

Maybe time for A-Spec...
Old 03-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Nick

Even from day one, I always thought of our TSX as a supple ride which can take the bumps comfortably. If anything, I'd agree that in stock form the whole car feels kind of "soft" to my taste, comfortable and reasonably well controlled but soft, like the sporty sedan it was designed to be. Of course you can make it and most cars ride stiffer and handle turns more aggressively at the expense of soft comfort if that's what you want, but I can't imagine needing to make it softer than it is.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ariawoman
That's interesting. Coming from my Honda Civic, the TSX wins hands down on smooth ride.Jennifer
When I was at the Honda Dealer, there was a new Civic on the rack. I looked at the underside and side, "Wow, what a way to build a suspension". I don't want to post the response, but it was not flattering. The design focus on the suspension of the Civic was cost containment.

When comparing ride quality, I compare the TSX to traditional, mid-sized family sedans like the Acura TL, the Camry, the Lexus, the Buick, the Olds, the Bonneville and the Grand Prix, as well as the Cadillacs. Compared to the TSX, some of them are like corks bobbing around in boiling water; and they actually have a tendency to make me car sick.

And, in regard to the Mitsu Evo, Car and Driver, April. 2005, Page 126 printed "The Evo feels as if the axles were welded to the body". So, the TSX certainly does not provide the firmest ride available.

One of the things that I love about my TSX is that on smooth, level, asphalt, payment the car is silky smooth and remarkably quite. It just seems to just glide along with practically no effort. It is a great feeling when the day is ending, the sun is setting, and I find myself on a rural, two lane, road with no other cars in sight.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Racer

...One of the things that I love about my TSX is that on smooth, level, asphalt, payment the car is silky smooth and remarkably quite. It just seems to just glide along with practically no effort...
This is embrassing. I am getting to be as careless with my words as Bush, who once said, "Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country".

Rewrite:

One of the things that I love about my TSX is that on smooth, level, asphalt pavement the car is silky smooth and remarkably quite. It seems to just glide along with practically no effort.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is embrassing. I am getting to be as careless with my words as Bush, who once said, "Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country".

Rewrite:

One of the things that I love about my TSX is that on smooth, level, asphalt pavement the car is silky smooth and remarkably quite. It seems to just glide along with practically no effort.
since you're doing rewrites .... quite quiet? LOL
Old 03-24-2005, 05:25 AM
Cruisin' the Azine's

The suspension breaks in after about 2500 miles. Your different experience with the test drive is a more accurate reflection of the suspension behavior. This is just like the engine getting better fuel efficiency once it's broken in.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:27 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It is a great feeling when the day is ending, the sun is setting, and I find myself on a rural, two lane, road with no other cars in sight.

lol, I agree man, I feel the same way
Old 05-12-2005, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

What would you recommend to soften the ride a little?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hosep76
What would you recommend to soften the ride a little?
Trade it in for a TL
Old 05-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Check the tire pressures first.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow, we came full circle from post #1.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Photography Nerd

that's creepy
Old 05-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXey
Even from day one, I always thought of our TSX as a supple ride which can take the bumps comfortably. If anything, I'd agree that in stock form the whole car feels kind of "soft" to my taste, comfortable and reasonably well controlled but soft, like the sporty sedan it was designed to be. Of course you can make it and most cars ride stiffer and handle turns more aggressively at the expense of soft comfort if that's what you want, but I can't imagine needing to make it softer than it is.
If you want to handle turns more aggresively, you dont have to sacrifice soft comfort. You can always just get a larger swaybar.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:51 AM
Advanced

I haven't noticed ride being that "tight". It is firm but that's price you pay for the great handling. If anything, it could you a tad bit tighter on rebound.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:35 PM
HOWARD911S

i asked dealer why the tire pressure was inflated so high. They said it is to make room for more cars. huge container ship with tons of cars side by side.. lower pressure will make the tires slightly wider. By inflating it super high. it makes the tire narrower and they can squeeze a few more cars on the ship to save cost. word from acura dealer
Old 05-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator

It doesn't really matter how much/less air the tires are inflated. They are still sitting inside the fender well! I don't see how putting in more air takes up less space.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by Alin10123
If you want to handle turns more aggresively, you dont have to sacrifice soft comfort. You can always just get a larger swaybar.
That will still make the ride a bit rougher. That's why the 7series comes with an active rear sway bar to smoothen out the ride on straight roads.

Originally Posted by Howard911s
i asked dealer why the tire pressure was inflated so high. They said it is to make room for more cars. huge container ship with tons of cars side by side.. lower pressure will make the tires slightly wider. By inflating it super high. it makes the tire narrower and they can squeeze a few more cars on the ship to save cost. word from acura dealer
That doesn't make sense. It would if the whole car was inflatable, but it is not. The tires don't even come out further than the body, so it wouldn't even matter.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Photography Nerd

If a dealer told me that, I would laugh in his face.

Me --> <-- Dealer

I would laugh but maybe not as hard as when a honda dealer told me the AV6 coupe was AWD.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
If a dealer told me that, I would laugh in his face.

Me --> <-- Dealer
It would be hard for me to keep a straight face!
Old 05-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
by the dealer. They must have been laughing their asses off after you left.