TSX Stereo Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006 | 09:57 PM
10th Gear

TSX Stereo Comparison

Many audiophiles have been complaining that the stereo in the TSX isn't very good. How does it compare with other cars in its class (or somewhat in its class) though?

For example:

BMW 3 Series
Mazda Speed 6
Volkwagan Jeta GLI
Ford Fusion
Pontiac G6 GTP
Cadallac STS
Volvo S40
Audi A4

Or any other car you can think of.

The only one above I heard is the stereo in the BMW, and I thought it sucked compared with the TSX.
Old 01-27-2006 | 11:04 PM
Advanced

in my opinion the tsx stereo does need improvement, but its comparable to the bmw series stereos.
Old 01-28-2006 | 08:00 AM
Pro

My friend has 325xi and the stereo sys on that car sux compared to tsx although he has more speakers. It just doesn't sound rich.
Old 01-28-2006 | 08:21 AM
Cruisin'

Can anyone give a comparison too between a TSX and a 2002 TL or 2005 TL?
Old 01-28-2006 | 08:22 AM
Benchwarmer

TSX audio is much nicer than Audi A4 stock. I've only listened to TSX's radio at fairly low volume.
Old 01-28-2006 | 08:37 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

I find the TSX stereo to be very good for a stock system.

I used to have a very nice setup in my Integra but the TSX stereo satisfies my ears now (although I outgrew having 2 12's in the back powered by 1100 watts, LOL).

Compared to the BMW 3 Series, the Mazda Speed 6, the Pontiac G6 GTP, and the Audi A4... the TSX is the hands down winner.
Old 01-28-2006 | 08:53 AM
Advanced

I think the TSX stereo system is really bad - rental car quality. The bass is too loud and distorted. The midrange has no definition. The bass sounds like it's fighting the midrange, trying to drown out the voices in your songs. However, turning down the bass doesn't help much because the midrange just isn't that clear to start with. I can't compare directly to the vehicles you mentioned, but I'd describe it as a big step down from my old 1999 VW Passat, which I traded in the for TSX.

I don't think of myself as being all that fussy and just assumed that the stock system would be good enough for me. So far, I've replaced the rear speakers and I'm planning to replace the door speakers too. I hope that will do it b/c I'm really not the type who enjoys doing these mods.
Old 01-28-2006 | 09:33 AM
Drifting

I think its excellent for a stock system. My friend's Mazda 6's Bose system doesn't have the bump that the TSX's does and my friends 3 series doesn't sound as powerful, either.

In terms of the TL and TSX system, the TL's audio is crystal clear but it doesn't have the bass bump that the TSX has.
Old 01-28-2006 | 09:48 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by siocontl
Can anyone give a comparison too between a TSX and a 2002 TL or 2005 TL?
TSX system not on par with 02 TL Bose or 05 TL ELS 5.1 systems.

The TSX gives you three EQ adjustments: No bass, too much bass, all bass. I found the system in my loaner (that I had for a month, mind you) to be sloppy and muddy in comparison to the clean sound of the Bose system in my TL, which doesn't have many fans itself. It's on par with my 2005 Accords system.
Old 01-28-2006 | 08:22 PM
wagon owner

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
TSX audio is much nicer than Audi A4 stock. I've only listened to TSX's radio at fairly low volume.
I like the audio in my 06 A4. Only 3band EQ but you can set each componant (cd, radio, etc) differently to suit.

Can't remember if the tsx did this when I was looking at them.
Old 01-28-2006 | 09:16 PM
06 TSX ASM/Ebony 5AT

It is fine for a stock stereo. None of us bought a TSX for the sound system

I am underwhelmed with the audio quality of XM though (as others have already mentioned in another thread). Good thing I basically just listen to BBC World News.
Old 01-28-2006 | 09:21 PM
Beauty is a curse...

This is a good thread. If you have tsx w/navi, it'll be a pain in the ass upgrading the system.
Old 01-28-2006 | 09:32 PM
06 TSX ASM/Ebony 5AT

Originally Posted by Accurate
This is a good thread. If you have tsx w/navi, it'll be a pain in the ass upgrading the system.
Replacing the head unit may be hard, but you can always upgrade speakers & add amps & subs (assuming the existing unit has preamp outputs)
Old 01-28-2006 | 09:38 PM
Advanced

Here's a good thread on upgrading your speakers:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/alpine-type-s-speaker-upgrade-278849/
Old 01-28-2006 | 09:49 PM
7th Gear

Would buying new speaks and an amp to power them solve the problem? What can us Navi owners do to improve the sound quality of the car?
Old 01-29-2006 | 12:35 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by Ron Parr
Here's a good thread on upgrading your speakers:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278849
It is a very good thread and they are very convincing in recommending the Alpine speakers with the existing OEM headunit.

I checked out the two speakers they recommended and it doesn't look like they make them anymore:

Alpine SPS-170A
Alpine SPS-690A

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...?category=SPKR

I have been generally happy with the OEM speakers but if I have to be critical, I have to agree with some other posters and that they lack the detail in the mid and hi range. The bass could be tighter as well.

I'm not into installing my own speakers but if the above two recommended speakers were still available, I would consider having a good installer doing them.

Excited
Old 01-29-2006 | 02:39 PM
Burning Brakes

I think the TSX stereo system is really bad - rental car quality. The bass is too loud and distorted. The midrange has no definition. The bass sounds like it's fighting the midrange, trying to drown out the voices in your songs. However, turning down the bass doesn't help much because the midrange just isn't that clear to start with. I can't compare directly to the vehicles you mentioned, but I'd describe it as a big step down from my old 1999 VW Passat, which I traded in the for TSX.

I don't think of myself as being all that fussy and just assumed that the stock system would be good enough for me. So far, I've replaced the rear speakers and I'm planning to replace the door speakers too. I hope that will do it b/c I'm really not the type who enjoys doing these mods.
is this guy foreal?...=_=||| hahaha

i agree with mid range part tho..

i also think the high is too high...or maybe like scrachy high or something XD
Old 01-29-2006 | 03:04 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

I think the sound systems is decent. It was much improved after I upgraded the speakers to Alpine Type S's.
Old 01-29-2006 | 03:05 PM
I spend 2 much time here

i wish car manufacturers would give buyers an option of getting a more high end audio system as OEM equipment.
Old 01-29-2006 | 03:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by excited

I checked out the two speakers they recommended and it doesn't look like they make them anymore:

Alpine SPS-170A
Alpine SPS-690A
It's possible that some newer models will also fit well. I really don't like mucking around installing stuff, so I decided to play it safe and go with a known quantity. The older models are still available at good prices from many vendors. You can search for the best price on pricegrabber.com.

I ordered the rear speakers and got them in a few days. The door speakers are in transit and will arrive this week.

The rear speaker install was very easy. From the trunk, I pinched the plastic tabs holding the grill in place then popped off the grill from the back seat. I then unscrewed the old speakers, put in the new ones, and I was ready to go. (When I say "unscrewed" I mean that I used a ratchet and socket from my socket set.) I purchased a Honda/Acura speaker harness from Best Buy for $6.50, so everything was literally plug and play - no wires to cut or holes to drill.

Assembling furniture from Ikea requires more skill and effort than this, so I wouldn't pay somebody to do it.

My subjective impression is that the rear speaker upgrade has cleaned up the bass a fair bit, but that there is still room for improvement.

I expect the door speakers will be a bit more effort, but with higher return for the effort as well.
Old 01-29-2006 | 03:44 PM
Advanced

As real as it gets...

Originally Posted by kyotousa
is this guy foreal?...=_=||| hahaha
Real person. Real name. Real disaapointment with the audio system despite modest expectations.

Just about everything else with the car has met or exceeded my expectations though, so I'm quite happy overall.
Old 01-29-2006 | 03:48 PM
TSX4EVR

It's possible that some newer models will also fit well. I really don't like mucking around installing stuff, so I decided to play it safe and go with a known quantity. The older models are still available at good prices from many vendors. You can search for the best price on pricegrabber.com.

I ordered the rear speakers and got them in a few days. The door speakers are in transit and will arrive this week.

The rear speaker install was very easy. From the trunk, I pinched the plastic tabs holding the grill in place then popped off the grill from the back seat. I then unscrewed the old speakers, put in the new ones, and I was ready to go. (When I say "unscrewed" I mean that I used a ratchet and socket from my socket set.) I purchased a Honda/Acura speaker harness from Best Buy for $6.50, so everything was literally plug and play - no wires to cut or holes to drill.

Assembling furniture from Ikea requires more skill and effort than this, so I wouldn't pay somebody to do it.

My subjective impression is that the rear speaker upgrade has cleaned up the bass a fair bit, but that there is still room for improvement.

I expect the door speakers will be a bit more effort, but with higher return for the effort as well.
Thanks, I will see if I ca find any of the older models locally. The rear speakeres don't scare me as much as the door speakers. Breaking the little clips scares me. If I can find them, I will install the rear ones myself and get professional help for the door speakers.

Thanks again.

Excited
Old 01-29-2006 | 03:48 PM
TSX4EVR

Thanks, I will see if I can find any of the older models locally. The rear speakeres don't scare me as much as the door speakers. Breaking the little clips scares me. If I can find them, I will install the rear ones myself and get professional help for the door speakers.

Thanks again.

Excited
Old 01-29-2006 | 03:56 PM
CL9 ABP

My friend got an 2002 a4 with bose speakers its upgraded, much better, but I can compare the watt in our tsx makes it close if you changes the speakers. I changed the rear 6x9 with alpine type r.
Old 01-29-2006 | 05:02 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^I would think installing speakers such as the Alpines would also require installing an amplifier. Surely the Alpines need more power to drive them. Perhaps I'm mistaken. Does the stock head unit power supply do the job or no?

Systems I've had installed in the past were usually as simple as upgrading speakers and driving them with a nice amp. That alone normally makes a dramatic difference in the sound quality.
Old 01-29-2006 | 06:34 PM
CL9 ABP

Its been done on this forum, the tsx carries 360 watts which is more than my friends audi who has 180, but bose speakers.

People on the forum changed all 8 speakers.
Old 01-29-2006 | 11:27 PM
Team Owner

You guys should check out the Off Topic / Audio & Video Forum and do a search on "TSX Speakers" or something like that. You'll find a lot of discussion.

In general, we've found that the TSX head unit puts out a pretty clean signal. If you want to keep the OEM amplifier you can still improve the sound by just swapping out speakers. The Alpines that were mentioned earlier have been used by a number of posters. If they are no longer made then chances are that Alpine is making similar speakers with a different model number. Without an aftermarket amp you need to look for speakers with higher efficiencies, somewhere near 92 db, preferably higher.

You can also use the stock HU and add your own amp and speakers. With an aftermarket amp your speaker options increase because you'll have more power available to drive them.

Personally, I though the stock system was OK but nothing special. I upgraded my speakers (dash tweeters, front doors, and rear deck) with Avincar speakers and have been very happy with the upgrade (and this is with the stock HU and stock amp). Avincar is a brand sold by one of our AcuraZine vendors, elduderino.

I've read that Alpine, Polk, and Infinity speakers have been used by members with good success.
Old 01-30-2006 | 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, the TSX stereo is pretty good... for a stock, factory system. I've heard a lot of really bad ones, and the TSX is pretty decent. However, I still wasted no time in swapping out those speakers!

Stock, it is way too boomy in the midbass. The speakers are loud, they're just not as good as a good aftermarket set.

I think some aftermarket speakers will require amplification. I can crank it pretty loud with the Avincar setup, although, you can always convince yourself that you need a bit more...

If you want Alpines, then what jlukja said.....
Old 01-31-2006 | 01:31 AM
Intermediate

See the following link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lpqJQ6c...0&I=500SPS170A

Crutchfield still has the SPS-170A and they're on sale for $79.99 a pair. Of course Crutchfield says that these will not fit our TSX's. Should I believe them or not? I do not want to cut larger holes or have the windows hitting the speaker magnets or other such PITA stuff.
Old 01-31-2006 | 06:26 AM
CL9 ABP

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uZzneoX...0&I=500SPR69LP

I got these for the rear deck, fitting was secure no buzzing, and for the magnets being too big in the trunk I had no problem with that.
Old 01-31-2006 | 07:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RickKel
See the following link:

Crutchfield still has the SPS-170A and they're on sale for $79.99 a pair. Of course Crutchfield says that these will not fit our TSX's. Should I believe them or not? I do not want to cut larger holes or have the windows hitting the speaker magnets or other such PITA stuff.
As already mentioned, the 690As were pure plug and play - couldn't be easier. My 170As will arrive on Friday and, time permitting, I'll tryl installing them this weekend and let you know.

Earlier in the thread, I suggested pricegrabber. If you go to pricegrabber, you'll see that Crutchfield is the most expensive of 8 sellers who have stock.
Old 01-31-2006 | 09:11 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RickKel
See the following link:

Check this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278849

SilverTSXinPA put the Alpine 170A in the doors and said no cutting was required. He used the spacers that came with the speakers and didn't have any issues with the speaker depth with the spacer.

Also, I would recommend that, since the door panels are pulled out for the speaker swap, this would be a great time to put some sound dampening materials in the doors. And, another suggestion. Find a copy of the TSB for door buzzing and print it out. Then, when you have the door panels off, put in the padding shown in the TSB. This is an easy preventive step to take to reduce the chance that your door will buzz after the speaker swap.
Old 01-31-2006 | 11:47 AM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by jiggaman
i wish car manufacturers would give buyers an option of getting a more high end audio system as OEM equipment.
They do! Just not Acura. =( Sucks cause I'd rather have nice clean OEM stuff than hacked together aftermarket stuff.
Old 01-31-2006 | 11:58 AM
Instructor

there are no good stock systems. the first day i had my tsx, i had the stereo out and replaced. the 360 watts are "marketing"watts. in reality you are looking at about 15 watts times 6. however if you can live with the stereo, more power to you. i couldn't ,and didn't. jps
Old 01-31-2006 | 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by jpswanberg
there are no good stock systems. the first day i had my tsx, i had the stereo out and replaced. the 360 watts are "marketing"watts. in reality you are looking at about 15 watts times 6. however if you can live with the stereo, more power to you. i couldn't ,and didn't. jps
Yes there are. Maybe you need to sit in a more expensive car.
Old 02-01-2006 | 07:04 AM
Burning Brakes

I recall listening to someone's upgraded B**e system in a Mustang. It was still bad.

I say, even if they provided an upgraded speaker system (and I've seen them as options on some other Hondas), I'd still prefer to go aftermarket and get what I want.
Old 02-01-2006 | 10:02 AM
Team Owner

Especially if the aftermaket system (or just speakers) were designed by a sound pro specifically for the car. *cough*elduderino*cough*.
Old 02-01-2006 | 01:51 PM
Instructor

I can't compare directly to the vehicles you mentioned, but I'd describe it as a big step down from my old 1999 VW Passat, which I traded in the for TSX.
Interesting take but I disagree. You must have upgraded the stereo in your VW. I traded in my 99 Passat too for a 05 TSX. The stock VW stereo in the Passat sux. No base and no treble. It sounded really muddy. I think the stock stereo in the TSX is much better than the one in the Passat. I can actually hear some notes I haven't heard before in a CD.
Old 02-01-2006 | 02:19 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by vidgamer
I recall listening to someone's upgraded B**e system in a Mustang.
If "B**e" means what I think it does (Bose), then that's not even remotely a possibility. Bose has no contract with Ford whatsoever. Look for "Mach 460" or "Shaker" Audio in Ford Rustangs.

If "B**e" means something else,

You want good OEM Audio, listen to:

05+ Acura RL (10 speaker Bose)
M35/45 (14 speaker Bose)
Cadillac DTS (14 speaker Bose)
Lexus LS430 (14 speaker Mark Levinson)
Volvo S60 (10 speaker Dolby Pro-Logic)

Or..

Maybach 62 21-speaker, 600w Bose.
Old 02-01-2006 | 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
If "B**e" means what I think it does (Bose), then that's not even remotely a possibility. Bose has no contract with Ford whatsoever. Look for "Mach 460" or "Shaker" Audio in Ford Rustangs.

If "B**e" means something else,

You want good OEM Audio, listen to:

05+ Acura RL (10 speaker Bose)
M35/45 (14 speaker Bose)
Cadillac DTS (14 speaker Bose)
Lexus LS430 (14 speaker Mark Levinson)
Volvo S60 (10 speaker Dolby Pro-Logic)

Or..

Maybach 62 21-speaker, 600w Bose.
I'd love to listen to how those stereos sound. And where the hell does 21 speakers go? It must sound like a damn concert hall!

Quick Reply: TSX Stereo Comparison