TSX Road Trip 2007

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question TSX Road Trip 2007

First of all, Sorry if I did not post on the right spot.

I'm headed from Los Angeles up to San Francisco this weekend for the Opening game for the 49ers (GO NINERS).

This will be the second year we head out in my TSX. Before we go I need to change my breaks, and have the oil changed. Is there any differance if I change the breaks at the dealership, or at Midas? If I get them at Midas will the breaks squeek?

About the road trip now, I have a couple of questions for any of you that have taken the trip up there.

Last year we went on the 5 all the way up there. Does anyone have suggestions of a better way to get there, and any nice places to stop on the way up?

And for the locals, while I'm there any good places to eat, or visit?

I'm definitely looking forward for the drive, since last year I had a very conferrable drive up there.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:47 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit up MoMo's across from AT&T Park.

I was there during a Giants game it was crazy.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Racer

I would only use oem brake pads. I would not take it to midas
Old 09-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Racer

Always go with OEM brake pads. If you want Midas to do it I'm sure the labor is cheaper. Just go to the dealer purchase the Brake Pads for 40 bucks or so. Give them to midas to install. They shouldnt scew anything up. changing brake pads is really easty.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

I drove down to Orange County last week and took the I-5. You will smell cow feces at one point on I-5. I would take the Hwy 101 to avoid that plus it is more scenic.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:50 AM
Intermediate

First off... GO NINERS!!!

5 is the easiest and fastest way, I've made the drive many many times. Unfortunately, it's a pretty boring drive with no scenery or enjoyable places to stop and rest at. Bring some buddies to keep you company or if you can't, some good music to last you for those 6+ hours.

Though I've never tried it myself, I've heard 101 is a more scenic drive, but longer.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Roci

Last year we went on the 5 all the way up there. Does anyone have suggestions of a better way to get there, and any nice places to stop on the way up?

And for the locals, while I'm there any good places to eat, or visit?

I'm definitely looking forward for the drive, since last year I had a very conferrable drive up there.
5 is the fastest, though most boring. I use it all the time. The cow fumes only last a bit, and since you've been up that way, you should be getting conditioned to it.

101 is the old route, though it adds up to 2 to 3 hours I've heard. (Never tried, though, this discussion has inspired me to think about it.)

The 1 is the other and most scenic (though dangerous?) from what I've heard. Unfortunately, by the time you reach SF, the game will be over.

Gilroy, the garlic capital, is a fun stop with a huge outlet mall there, and there are also nice garlic/fruit stands along 152.

When are you leaving? (Or will you have internet up there?) If you read this in time (and I see your reply in time), let me know what kind of food you like and your budget. SF (where I grew up) is one of the world's best dining towns, so there are all sorts of good places.

As for places to visit, let me know what you've already seen and what kind of things you'd like to see...

And, yes, go Niners!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:18 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Some people complain about the oem brake pads (it leaves material on the rotor). Maybe now's a good time to upgrade to better aftermarket brake pads? (not the generic stuff of course)

As for the route, the 5 is the fastest and most boring route. Think of it like a shortcut...most of it is straight-aways, and you head directly for civilization. I think I know about the place where you guys say it smells like cows. My cousin bought a house up there for a few months (before deciding to move back to so cali), and that stretch of the freeway by her house smelled horrible. Eventually we got used to it though, lol. I think later we just figured the wind shifted or something =P

The 101 is the scenic route...it follows the shore for much of the way, goes through some mountains and some forest area. It curves so much that it'll add like 2 hours to your trip. There's no way to cut to the 5 freeway if you get tired (ie: it's like an isolated route), so if you pick that route, you're committing to that route for the rest of your trip.

The 1 freeway as mentioned above isn't a good route to take. The 1 branches off and merges into the 101 so many times, you'll spend a bit of time leaving and rejoining the freeway. I think that route would be good for someone who's checking out all of the beaches, and is trying to waste as much time as possible.

There are some smaller routes to take (off of the 5). I remember using mapquest instructions and I ended up driving through wine country for a long while on a small 2-lane road (although I was tempted to stop at all of the signs that mentioned wine-tasting lol).
Old 09-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Thanks guys,

I think I will take the 5 since it is the fastest way. I will be leaving Saturday morning (5:00am). I will try and stop at the fruit stands.

I'm going with my husband, brother, and cousin so yes I will have company.

And for now I will stick with the OEM break pads, since I'm short on time, and I change my breaks almost every 17,000 miles so next time I will look into aftermarket breaks.

GO NINERS!!!!