TSX Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Question

Hey all,
My wife and I are looking at buying a car here soon. We are going to be moving back to Alaska here soon and I would like to know from you guys is how a TSX does on the snow and ice. That is pretty important to us. We are also looking at the Audi A4 and the 2005 Subaru Legacy. I lean towards the TSX becasue I currently have an 89 Legend and never had a problem and I really like the reliability of Honda/Acura. I know that with the subaru and Audi's the maintenance is a pain and I don't want to deal with that but my wife loves the AWD in Alaska. Could you guys tell me how a TSX handles on the snow and ice if you live in a place that gets any..... How is the traction control?? Do you have problems starting out?? (bad tire spin? delay?) I am sure that it is not as good as the Audi and Subaru's but could you share your experiences with it.

Thanks so much
Cody
Old 04-30-2004, 03:22 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
codeman, we've had quite a few discussions on winter handling. The bottom line is that its really a factor of your tires, more so than your car. (i.e. your TSX with winter tires will be better than an awd car with all seasons).

That being said, the stock tires ont he TSX are not that great. SO throw some winter tires on and you will be fine in the winter.

The VSA is another nice feature the TSX has that may be able to help you from losing control in slippery conditions. It should be noted though that its some times better to have the traction control off when stuck in the snow.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:23 PM

i havent driven a TSX in snow/ice yet...but one thing to be aware of is that you might get rattles...i had a windshield rattle when i drove up north last year...something to do with the window sealant shrinking/compressing due to the cold temp...since returning from the north, the rattles went away

why are u moving to alaska? brrrrr!!!
Old 04-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

New Legacy may be? Or wait for Honda AWD. I think it will be available in Japan very soon
Old 04-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Racer

I know you can already get the honda's in Japan in AWD. They have had them for a while. I am originally from AK and just about to graduate so moving back if things go right. I like the looks of the new legacy but really like the tsx so was wanting to get some input. The tire thing is pretty obvious!! I was just wanting to get some input on what you guys thought of winter driving with a TSX.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm in Ohio and we get dumped on pretty good in the winter. My last vehicle was a 2000 F150 4x4 and I was a little apprehensive about the winter driving capability of the TSX. Aside from the crappy stock tires, it was a pleasure to drive in the snow and ice. With the addition of some good rubber you'll have no problems at all. By the way, it's a SWEET car.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:19 AM
cmf
ATCer

A4 quattro! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Old 05-01-2004, 02:03 AM
Racer

Yeah the A4 quattro!! I like it but the maintenance on them will kill my wallet. I don't want that.

Thanks man for the info on winter driving.

Anyone else??
Old 05-01-2004, 02:23 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by codeman
The tire thing is pretty obvious!! I was just wanting to get some input on what you guys thought of winter driving with a TSX.
The tire thing is not obvious, and there have been many debates on here about it. But perhaps I was not clear enough.

"winter driving with a TSX" is no different than any other fwd car. The only thing that makes an overall significant "difference" in winter driving is tires. So much so that a rwd car with snow tires will be better in the winter than an AWD car with all seasons. This is hardly "obvious" to most ppl.

So in short....the TSX is as good in the winter as you want it to be.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:22 PM
6th Gear

i'm pretty much in the same boat as codeman. i've waited the last six months and still waiting for the 2005 subaru legacy 2.5GT limited to come out. it seems we'll get it around mid or end of june up here.

took a test drive yesterday on the tsx 6mt and it's more impressive than my current accord v6 at. no doubt handling is better and ride is stiffer, basics are the same - low maintenance cost. was quite tempted by the passat 1.8t 5mt but with it being the same price as the tsx, the tsx is a better buy. my only problem is that the tsx does not have the sun visor extension like what i have in my accord. any remedies to this guys?
Old 05-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Drifting

NAU alum here. Class of '96. Get the TSX because it's the smart choice for NAU grads.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Instructor

I agree it's all about the tires. I live in Erie, PA so we get the lake effect snow pretty bad. So far I haven't had any problems except maybe going uphill on a standing start.

I had winter tires on my Integra and drove around the snow like I was AWD. Too bad I can't afford the snow tires for the TSX right now. But yeah, traction is all about getting the right set of tires.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Racer

I guess what I meant to say was that the tire thing is pretty obvious to me. I have lived in Alaska for about 20 years and driven many different cars with different tires so that part is obvious. (to me at least).

OK here.........say you have a good set of tires on the TSX. How will it handle on the ice. I know that it won't be as good as my in-laws A6 but it has to be better then my 89 Legend. My wife is worried about the fwd. I'm not but you know wives. I want someone to tell me how it does on the ice. Can you pull out into traffic comfortably? Is there a lot of tire spin when you pull out or does the tsc take care of that well?

Jason........thanks for the advice. Although, in my case I have to convince my wife.....not just myself. How did you like Flag?
Old 05-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by codeman
I want someone to tell me how it does on the ice. Can you pull out into traffic comfortably? Is there a lot of tire spin when you pull out or does the tsc take care of that well?

Jason........thanks for the advice. Although, in my case I have to convince my wife.....not just myself. How did you like Flag?
I works beautifully in the winter weather. Nothing performs on ice, but the control systems on the TSX function at a very high level. Wheel spin is 100% under control.

I loved my time in Flag. Dude hook me up with another pitcher of raspberry ale from Beaver St.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Racer

Thanks for the info man......That is exactly what I was looking for.

Drove the G35 AWD yesterday.....dealer tried to sell it to us for about 31K. Is a pretty good deal but wasen't our style of car. The 2 dr coupe was pretty impressive. Liked the car but we like the TSX better.

Raspberry ale huh....No problem!! Just say when
Old 05-06-2004, 03:00 PM
10th Gear

I'm also here in Alaska (Anchorage). I drove my TSX all last winter, and without snow tires, although I'd recommend getting a set. The car did great. Being front wheel drive helped a lot, even though AWD would be better. The car also gives you a good 'feel' for the road, so you can sense pretty quickly when you are losing control.

The VSA is very helpful for speeding up on icy roads. The main aspect in which I missed the winter tires is when slowing down. Despite the ABS, I'd slide like crazy on a fast stop, which is to be expected.

Another nice feature for Alaska is the heated seats. I don't have a remote start installed yet, but I would assume your seats will heat up for you as well when you start the car remotely.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

I'm from CT and drove it all winter with a set of Bridgstone Blizzaks on. Handled wonderfully. If the ice is thick it may spin a little but the VSA picks it up instanly and you know you're spinning, but the car drives straight. A weird sensation to get used to, but very comforting My wife drives a WRX and that thing handles awesome in the snow, but I feel just as comfortable in the TSX, never feel unsafe. If you want me to elaborate more, just let me know. I drive 60 miles to work everyday, so I've had my share of snow driving
Old 05-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Racer

Thank you very much for the info. I really appreciate it. I live in Arizona right now for school and when I try and ask that question in Phoenix and the look at me funny

What part of Anchorage do you live in. Can't wait to move back but want to have a job lined up before I do.

Thanks again for the great info

Cody