TSX Problem...auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Problem...auto

I'm about to hit 1k miles soon and lately, I've noticed something. When I reverse my car, stop, put it in drive, turn the wheel and then accelerate, I hear a "pop" sound on take off. I'm not sure where it's coming from...maybe the engine I thought it was heard only from the inside, but when my girlfriend tried it, I heard it standing outside watching her test it out. Should I be worried or should I just wait it out until I get some more miles on the car? This sucks...cause I was not expecting any problems like this from Honda.

For those of you with an auto, can you test it out next time you reverse from a parking lot or driveway and tell me if you hear anything. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:37 AM
Cruisin'

The same thing happened to me previously with my Integra. I had the package of Acura wheel locks sitting in the spare wheel and when I reversed and then took off the package would shift and then make a "pop" sound when it hit another side of the spare.

Might be what you are hearing to0.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:46 AM
Instructor

Uhm no...it's more serious than that and I think it's coming from under the car somewhere, possibly the hood. And if it was that I don't I would have heard it when my girlfriend tested it out and I was standing outside listening for it. Thanks for the info anyway.

Just to make it clear, it only does this when I back up, turn the wheel, and take off...like when I back up from my driveway or a parking lot. It does not happen when I stop and then go straight or make left or right turns. Only from when backing up.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:13 AM
Racer

If it is persistently repeatable, take it to a dealer. If it is not something loose in the car, then it indicates something that needs to be isolated and fixed -- perhaps some shifting of engine, or transmission, mounts. Perhaps something with the rack-and-pinion. Perhaps even the brake pads (calipers) manage to stick under the circumstances.

Does it matter in which direction you turn the wheel? Does it require a sharp turn, or will a mild turn also produce the noise. Is your auto. or manual? If manual, skip first gear and start with second gear. Does it do it regardless of temps. -- after sitting overnight and after 30 mins, or more, of driving. Does it matter if you apply the brakes, or not, when doing the backing?

Regardless, you need to take the car to your dealer for an inspection. And, let us know what they find.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Another possibility is the suspension setup. On my last car, I had a repair done on one side. They didn't tighten some arm fully, and occasionally under conditions it would move making a similar noise. Once they tightened it was fine.

I'm sure this isn't the case, as this was an accident and the parts had to be replaced. Just another idea...
Old 09-15-2004, 08:38 AM
8th Gear

OK guys, stop worrying so much. This is not a problem. This is normal. You realized that you said, this only happens when you back up, put it in drive, and drive off, and within a second, it does that, but doesn't happen when you stop and go. It's because the antilock brake system is checking itself when you first drive. Obviously it's not gonna check itself in the middle of your driving. It checks itself to make sure it's properly working, which is neat. Let me know if you have any other questions, but regarding this issue, u got nothing to worry about. ALL TSX's do this, and if ur car doesn't do it, then YOU need to bring ur car in cuz the system's not working properly. Now go enjoy your car damn it.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:03 AM
Tuxedo Cat

I get the same thing every time I pull out of the garage (back up, then go forward). Possibly every time I start up. I've had it on previous cars too. As the other poster noted, it's the ABS system checking itself as you start moving.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

do you guys come to a complete stop before putting it in gear?

weird.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dzuy
do you guys come to a complete stop before putting it in gear?

weird.

Yes, otherwise its bad for the transmission to change gears in auto while the car is still in motion.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by VeniceBeachTSX
I get the same thing every time I pull out of the garage (back up, then go forward). Possibly every time I start up. I've had it on previous cars too. As the other poster noted, it's the ABS system checking itself as you start moving.

Close....it is because the brake pads are free-floating in the calipers. They clunk back and fourth when you go from reverse to forward, an vice-versa.

The ABS does not do any such checking. And if it did, it would be electronic, not a clunking sound. The only sound that could come from the ABS system is the motor running when you first turn on the car.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=MrHeeltoe]Close....it is because the brake pads are free-floating in the calipers. They clunk back and fourth when you go from reverse to forward, an vice-versa.QUOTE]

Is that anything to worry about? I've never own an auto before till now so I'm kinda clueless.

The noise does seem like a clunk, pop or something like that. And, it's the loudest in the morning, I think. It only does this coming out from a reverse, other times the noise is not there or I can't hear it because of the traffic. I can turn either way and turning the wheel all the way seems to trigger it more. I don't really know how to explain this correctly. I hope you guys will know what I'm talking about. I KNOW EVERYBODY REVERSES THEIR CAR, TURN THE WHEEL, PUT IT IN DRIVE, AND ACCELERATE. So please, if you have an auto, could you check it out for me? Thank you.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
Yes, otherwise its bad for the transmission to change gears in auto while the car is still in motion.
just checkin. i know it's bad, i was just making sure that's not what people were doin, b/c that would make a clunking noise (followed by your tranny falling out )
Old 09-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE=rivvin]
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Close....it is because the brake pads are free-floating in the calipers. They clunk back and fourth when you go from reverse to forward, an vice-versa.QUOTE]

Is that anything to worry about? I've never own an auto before till now so I'm kinda clueless.

The noise does seem like a clunk, pop or something like that. And, it's the loudest in the morning, I think. It only does this coming out from a reverse, other times the noise is not there or I can't hear it because of the traffic. I can turn either way and turning the wheel all the way seems to trigger it more. I don't really know how to explain this correctly. I hope you guys will know what I'm talking about. I KNOW EVERYBODY REVERSES THEIR CAR, TURN THE WHEEL, PUT IT IN DRIVE, AND ACCELERATE. So please, if you have an auto, could you check it out for me? Thank you.

I noticed the same thing on my car a few weeks ago. I usually only hear it in the morning after I start moving after shifting into drive.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:45 AM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Originally Posted by rivvin
I'm about to hit 1k miles soon and lately, I've noticed something. When I reverse my car, stop, put it in drive, turn the wheel and then accelerate, I hear a "pop" sound on take off. I'm not sure where it's coming from...maybe the engine I thought it was heard only from the inside, but when my girlfriend tried it, I heard it standing outside watching her test it out. Should I be worried or should I just wait it out until I get some more miles on the car? This sucks...cause I was not expecting any problems like this from Honda.

For those of you with an auto, can you test it out next time you reverse from a parking lot or driveway and tell me if you hear anything. Thanks.
Nope, no need to bite off your fingernails. I hear it every morning (L-shaped driveway)...it's a normal thing with Honda transmissions. Actually you should also hear the "pop" when you put the car in reverse while it is still slightly costing foward. Chrysler transmissions make a gear-whirring sound under the same circumstances (my old Jeep GC and friend's parent's Town & Country). Of all the hondas i've driven, its never been an issue. Honda automatics make sounds like a manual shift sometimes, that's cool.

You will also notice some other sounds when you first drive off but that is the sound of ABS and VSA self-test. Its usual to hear more unusual sounds when the car is brand new and things are still in break-in period. But if you can reproduce the sound and are still worried, just stop by your dealer and have a tech examine it real quick.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:11 AM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE=rivvin]
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Close....it is because the brake pads are free-floating in the calipers. They clunk back and fourth when you go from reverse to forward, an vice-versa.QUOTE]

Please, try not to lose any sleep over it............I doubt if it is a big deal, but your local dealer should have a definitive answer for you.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Instructor

It's not like a a major problem, at least I hope not. Its just that ever since I've noticed it, it's been driving me crazy. I just can't stand hearing that sound! Well, just to bring you guys up to date, it happens everytime; in the driveway, parking lot, etc. But, I will drive it for while and if it progresses, it's off to the dealership I go!!! Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Cruisin'

Mine does this too...usually notice it when i'm backing out of my parking space at work then shift into first and go. A slight "clunk" sound.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

I am going to share some knowledge with you all

The dealerships get hammered with this all the time and many customers insists there is a problem with the car or the brakes or something. To show them it is a normal issue, and to prove it to them, they do this simple demonstration (for the really tough customers they do anyway).

They instert trimmed pieces of 3x5 card into the area where the brake pads fit. With the peices of paper in there, the noise goes away. The paper cushions the pads enough to prevent the click/clunk noise. The paper is eventually disintegrated, but the experiement is effective in illustrating the point.

Of course, if you put the paper in there and the noise persists, there may be another issue. You can try the experiement yourself if you like
Old 09-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Instructor

So is this just the TSX or all Hondas? I've had both hondas and acuras, auto and stick in the past and never had this problem. This is a first for me.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rivvin
So is this just the TSX or all Hondas? I've had both hondas and acuras, auto and stick in the past and never had this problem. This is a first for me.

It is all Hondas...the caliper design is that same on all of them. I have had over a dozen Hondas myself and some cars seem to do it more than others.

Like I said already though, if you are concerned, bring it to the dealer.