TSX, NSX, easy to get confused.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
TSX, NSX, easy to get confused.

Since I started my new job, a co-worker that I get along with really well happens to live pretty close to me. So, we've started carpooling.

So he asked me, "What kind of car is this?" I go, a TSX.

He goes, oh...well I thought it was an NSX. I had been telling everyone you drive an NSX. Jim (our boss) said that it was impossible because the NSX is like an $80k car.

I laughed pretty hard when he told me this.

N...T...I guess it's an easy mistake!

Just thought I'd share.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:51 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
wandered over here cuz it was on the "most active" list...

anyways, at least you were thought to be worth a little more a short time...but same thing with the CL usually. since its discontinued and such, when i tell people i drive a "2001 acura 3.2cl" they only hear "2001 acura 3.2_l" cuz when ive showed it to different people, their first comment is "hey that has 2 doors" or they'll just ask what a cl is in the first place...lol. i like that.

and TSX's are sexy cars, not that everyone has one, but i thought they were a little more well known, maybe this guy doesn't know his cars.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I'd rather be known mistakenly for driving a NSX than a Mazda 6
Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PACman
I'd rather be known mistakenly for driving a NSX than a Mazda 6
I got the "is that a mazda?" just last week and wanted to tell the old fart to get his eyes checked.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:06 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^^ That guys on Crack.

I do get "Is that a 04-07 TL?"
Old 09-25-2007, 12:40 AM
Racer

I got plenty of "Is that a TL or a TSX?"
Old 09-25-2007, 01:13 AM
Racer

I also get the "is this a TL" thing too.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:19 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My co-workers think I drive a $50k car. And when other people ask about my car, they jump in and tell them how much they think my car costs lol.

My car hasn't been compared to any other car. People just drool and oogle over my car while they think it's an expensive car
Old 09-25-2007, 05:12 AM
I can't find my garage

all my friends think i drive a tl
Old 09-25-2007, 07:58 AM
6th Gear

Dealer

A few years ago, when my family was shopping for a car for my mom the sales guy showed us a TSX and was convinced he was showing us a TL. I told him to look at the badging and see what it was. When he saw it was a TSX he said, "Well the TL was parked there yesterday." I don't understand how the people who are supposed to be selling you a car don't know what the different models look like. We ended up getting an M3.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:19 AM
08 MDX with Sports

I bought first year model of RSX back in August-2001 and the insurance lady was like WOW your 22 and drive a new Acura-NSX??? I was like uhhh NO and she goes isn't that the really "low and flat looking one?"
Old 09-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rj17
A few years ago, when my family was shopping for a car for my mom the sales guy showed us a TSX and was convinced he was showing us a TL. I told him to look at the badging and see what it was. When he saw it was a TSX he said, "Well the TL was parked there yesterday." I don't understand how the people who are supposed to be selling you a car don't know what the different models look like. We ended up getting an M3.
LOL. This is one of many examples where the merchant does not give a crap about the product they are attempting to sell.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Boring Teacher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I was ready to flip my lid a few months back when my brother-in-law asked me how much I paid for my new Saturn. SATURN???? What?? I was pretty sure that my friends were gonna have to visit me in jail after that one!!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Pro

As stupid as they are, alphanumeric names are all the rage for the snooty (and wannabe snooty) brands, and the U.S. market totally buys into it. I don't see why the car co.s can't see that it makes it a PITA to differentiate their cars. And with these brands relying so much on the history of a model, doesn't "eight generations and 25 years of Accord" seem more tangible than "a midsize car that was a G20 for a couple of years, and then a G35 for a few years, and then at G37, etc, etc, etc." And yet, Infiniti's naming system is actually one of the simpler ones.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Banned

That's so true. When people say Lexus ES350 or ES250 or LS400 I have a very hard time visualizing what car is being referred to, but when someone says a real name to refer to a car I know what model they're talking about right away. The alphanumeric designations are harder to commit to memory and harder to match up with a mental picture than a real name.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DLTSX6MT
As stupid as they are, alphanumeric names are all the rage for the snooty (and wannabe snooty) brands, and the U.S. market totally buys into it. I don't see why the car co.s can't see that it makes it a PITA to differentiate their cars. And with these brands relying so much on the history of a model, doesn't "eight generations and 25 years of Accord" seem more tangible than "a midsize car that was a G20 for a couple of years, and then a G35 for a few years, and then at G37, etc, etc, etc." And yet, Infiniti's naming system is actually one of the simpler ones.
They're not trying to make it hard for you to differentiate between their models, they're trying to get every model to tell you what brand they are. If I said G35, you'd say Infiniti before you even can imagine what the car looks like. They're building brand recognition.

It's like the 3.2l CL or whatever. People used to refer to cars by the displacement and model. Now they'll say acura TL or acura TSX.

As for the Infiniti naming system...they have the G's, Q's, etc. The number just lets you know where in the line up it is (35's between 20 and 37, etc). I'm sure you understand version 1.0 as opposed to version 1.5, etc.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Banned

I only associate G35 with Infinity after coming to this forum. Before that I would have had no idea. That name has no character but the car itself does, so I know it by site but not by name. A name with some personality would fix that.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Advanced

geez where do you work?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
They're not trying to make it hard for you to differentiate between their models, they're trying to get every model to tell you what brand they are. If I said G35, you'd say Infiniti before you even can imagine what the car looks like. They're building brand recognition.

It's like the 3.2l CL or whatever. People used to refer to cars by the displacement and model. Now they'll say acura TL or acura TSX.

As for the Infiniti naming system...they have the G's, Q's, etc. The number just lets you know where in the line up it is (35's between 20 and 37, etc). I'm sure you understand version 1.0 as opposed to version 1.5, etc.

Yeah, but then you have to sit down and figure out the methodology behind Mercedes' names, and BMW's, Volvo, Ferrari, Porsche, etc - even Hyundai. Each of which is different and has varying degrees of logic/liberty. You practically need an encyclopedia to decipher the sytems and track the names - hello Wikipedia. Just give me real names, please.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:04 PM
me,gill,and tl-s

i find it easy to size up a bimmer and benz. I am sure you all know how to distinguish model and engine size just by looking at the badging. I.E.

325I= 3 series, 25= 2.5 liter

C350= C class, 350= 3.5 liter

G35= G class, 35= 3.5 liter V6

so on and so on.

I love to tell people what i have in my 3.2 TL type S. I just say "High output V6"

mrproul
Old 09-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Banned

I'm not sure what you mean by "size up" or what engine displacement has to do with anything. Aside from the original complaint that the alphanumeric designation lack any kind of soul or distinction, if you're going to incorperate some aspect of the car's performance into the name I'd think it more logical to use the 0-60 or quarter mile time since that tells us more about what the car actualy does.

For my money a name like 3.2 TL is a very ugly combination of letters and numbers and looks more like a grade of fuel than a car. "TL" by itself is an improvement but still a rather lifeless combination of letters. At least RSX and TSX have the S(e)X part. TSX sounds a bit like T-Rex. RSX makes me thinks "sexy race car." TL makes me think "terrible". RL makes me think "regular".
Old 09-26-2007, 02:09 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
yup, people always ask me if I drive a tl.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some people just don't have an eye for cars. I'm not talking about being able to tell a TL from a TSX, I'm talking about being able to tell a lamborghini from a chevy suburban. I've witnessed this many times... some people just aren't 'car people,' they don't care, they don't look... I'll be walking around the city with my gf and happen to pass a lambo, aston, carrera GT, or something like that parked on the side of the street, and she just doesn't notice, doesn't care, can't see it. Just the way some people are... TSX, mazda6, Honda Civic, Toyota Corola... all small 4 doors cars will be the same... not to mention getting confusing a T and an N.

It's frustrating, I know.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
I'm not sure what you mean by "size up" or what engine displacement has to do with anything. Aside from the original complaint that the alphanumeric designation lack any kind of soul or distinction, if you're going to incorperate some aspect of the car's performance into the name I'd think it more logical to use the 0-60 or quarter mile time since that tells us more about what the car actualy does.

For my money a name like 3.2 TL is a very ugly combination of letters and numbers and looks more like a grade of fuel than a car. "TL" by itself is an improvement but still a rather lifeless combination of letters. At least RSX and TSX have the S(e)X part. TSX sounds a bit like T-Rex. RSX makes me thinks "sexy race car." TL makes me think "terrible". RL makes me think "regular".
Yeah, let's all have unique car names... each one of us... based on our latest claimed 1/4 mile time. Because all roads are straight lines, 1/4 mile between lights, right?

TL / RL = Luxury
RSX / TSX / NSX = Sporty

Not that hard to figure out. It's sure better than trying to keep track of rediculous names (Canyonero, anyone?) that really don't mean anything and are only used to conjure up images of something the car should help you get, or whatever. At least with alphanumeric naming, you can normally tell what brand and level of car you are referring to simply by the name. And they're global names (often), whereas words can be misinterpreted across languages -- the Buick LaCrosse was renamed the Buick Allure in Canada, because "Lucerne" in slang French means "masturbate".
Old 10-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by curls
Yeah, let's all have unique car names... each one of us... based on our latest claimed 1/4 mile time. Because all roads are straight lines, 1/4 mile between lights, right?
WTF are you talking about? Nobody said anything about everybody having their own unique car names. I don't even know what you're getting at by the roads are straight lines comment.

TL / RL = Luxury
RSX / TSX / NSX = Sporty
You honestly think that's intuitive? I guarantee if you asked people who were unaware of the Acura modes which is better the RL or TL, they couldn't tell you. I'd guess TL because T is higher in the alphabet. Same with TSX or RSX or MDX and RDX. Without the a number there's no clear indication one is any better than the other.

If you asked people on the street what TSX stands for I guarantee that even if they somehow guessed that S stood for sports they'd have no idea what the T and the X mean.

I don't know what your motives are other than to suck the character out of car naming by using cold and sterile technical classifications. They've been naming ships and boats for hundreds or thousands of years. It's a net positive all around.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
WTF are you talking about? Nobody said anything about everybody having their own unique car names. I don't even know what you're getting at by the roads are straight lines comment.
He is referring to your statement that 0-60 or 1/4 mile times should somehow be reflected in the name of a car because "that tells us more about what the car actually does". As if acceleration would tell the whole story.

You honestly think that's intuitive? I guarantee if you asked people who were unaware of the Acura modes which is better the RL or TL, they couldn't tell you. I'd guess TL because T is higher in the alphabet. Same with TSX or RSX or MDX and RDX. Without the a number there's no clear indication one is any better than the other.

If you asked people on the street what TSX stands for I guarantee that even if they somehow guessed that S stood for sports they'd have no idea what the T and the X mean.

I don't know what your motives are other than to suck the character out of car naming by using cold and sterile technical classifications. They've been naming ships and boats for hundreds or thousands of years. It's a net positive all around.

Its no more or less intuitive than the Mercedes, BMW, Audi and many others. Just a series of numbers and letters. No need for numbers in the case of Acura because each model only comes with one engine choice.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

There's obviously too much story to tell with a name, but I was saying that for the sake of argument a 0-60 average is more interesting and telling than engine displacement. As I said, I'd prefer real names over any kind of number or code.

If we agree that RSX or TL or MDX tell the unwitting person absolutely nothing about either the vehicle or where it stacks up against similar models then what argument is there for alphanumeric designations over names? It's easier to write? Conserves chrome?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:57 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,119 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by thunder04
He goes, oh...well I thought it was an NSX. I had been telling everyone you drive an NSX. Jim (our boss) said that it was impossible because the NSX is like an $80k car.
If I were you, I'd go straight to your boss and tell him that you do indeed have a TSX and not an NSX. Otherwise he might think that he's paying you too much.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DLTSX6MT
... Just give me real names, please.
I found myself behind a Oldsmobile Intrigue today. I swear to you, there was nothing intriguing about it. I'll take model names that aren't so, um, emotive.

Though all the Honda/Acura -SX model names are more than a bit uninspired. How about a new FSX? Or a XSX? They've been doing this for 20 years, what is so orgasmically cool about -SX on the trunk? Great candidates for de-badging.

I like now that I've de-badged, when someone asks "what IS this?" I can answer, "it's an upscale Accord, the European edition." Because really, with some of the faults and disappointments (doors, no MP3 CD-Rs, "Mercedes leather," et al), it's not a Lexus or a Bimmer or a Volkswagon. It's a Honda. (gets nostalgic about the late 70s/80s advertising a la Neutragena)
Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Race Director

They need to bring back the old names:

Legend, Integra, and Vigor.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

Some will say that those two of those names represent models that were somehow disapointing, but I think they can be re-invented. Given the name recognition of Integra and Legend I wouldn't be surprised if Honda brought them back the way Dodge and Chevy have been capitalising on their old familiar names. People might think Integra means cheap sports sedan but if they released something sophisticated and competitive I'm sure it would right the wrongs of past.

It's probably good that the last few RL's haven't actualy been called Legend. They've been below average cars in their class.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,538 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
They need to bring back the old names:

Legend, Integra, and Vigor.
yeah since 2 of the three are still in japan.