TSX is not a sports car dammit, get it straight!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX is not a sports car dammit, get it straight!

First of all, my TSX looks bone stock. Engine is bone stock. Just painted mudguards on the outside.

On a two lane road, during rush hour traffic, minding my own business, this guy in a late 90s Mustang GT does a "ricer flyby" on the right lane, and he slams on his brakes as the car in front of him makes a right turn. I'm thinking to myself, maybe a mid 20's dude trying to release his frustration at work......

Light turns red, and he decelerates and does the "nascar" zigzag maneuver like he is showing off. He's the third car from the front. I am also the third car from the light. I stop, and he nudges foward trying to get in line with my car. What's the point, we're not the first one at the light anyways?

At this point, I'm like, "Is this guy on crack?"

I look, and SURPRISE! A dumbass high school kid wearing his cap backwards with a football decal on his rear windshield, blasting Eminem, with a varsity jacket. (He turned the volume up, and was shaking my side windows.)

I never knew such stereotypical high school jock-dumbass existed, but I guess I was wrong. At this point, I'm thinking, "Oh a dumbass high school jock driving a high powered RWD V8. Hope he kills himself."

He revs his engine, trying to race..... I ignore him like he's a piece of bug splatter on my windshield.

I never knew TSX gets that much attention, or let me rephrase, I don't want my car to get that much attention. It's not flashy like the EVO or WRX. And TSX is not fast, let alone be able to outrun a V8 Mustang.....

OR does this mean that I look like a high school kid, and was trying to pick a fight since he thought I was a rich spoiled kid driving an acura????

It isn't the first time, so maybe I do look like a high school kid, even though I'm 27.....
Old 10-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Instructor

It isn't the car, it's the people. I am 53 and people do that whether I am in my LS or TSX. I just laugh at them when they do it and I have the Corvette........
Old 10-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I was in my Sienna on the freeway the other day, and some a-hole in an Odyessy kept accelerating and falling back like he wanted to race. Older guy too. Idiots can appear in any car, from any walk of life.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Banned

I believe they are trying to compensate for perceived losses in other areas of their life. Pitty them.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
I was in my Sienna on the freeway the other day, and some a-hole in an Odyessy kept accelerating and falling back like he wanted to race. Older guy too. Idiots can appear in any car, from any walk of life.
In a minivan

wow
Old 10-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Instructor

I wrote this since I just find the concept of stupid immature kids and fast cars very disturbing. To me it is like putting Bin Laden with WMD. If they do something stupid and kill themselves, I hope they don't take anyone else with them.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

What's worse is when their parents buy them an SUV to protect them from themselves and effectively put a six ton guided missle on public streets that would surely kill a poor family of struggling legal immigrants driving an old Civic they could barely afford. The good news is that teenagers tend to run off the road in sharp turns and crash into a tree or pole and no other cars are involved but the bad news is they often have friends in the car with them. Teenagers are much more socialy conscious than adults and I suspect driving and maintaining a social life simultaneously contributes to their accidents.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Daffunda
I wrote this since I just find the concept of stupid immature kids and fast cars very disturbing. To me it is like putting Bin Laden with WMD. If they do something stupid and kill themselves, I hope they don't take anyone else with them.
Its interesting, in my area, I have rich Asian kids...pardon, kids with rich asian parents, that can have BMWs that they think are fast, or the truly dangerous, hopped up WRX's and Evos. Luckily, I've never experienced anything from these guys. its the riced up civics hatches or Lexus IS350's that attempt to bother me, even if I am bone stock.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:37 PM
I can't find my garage

i just like to laff at them. it pisses them off even more. haha
Old 10-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Race Director

2 idiots one in a Caravan going home I am driving straight in a 2 lane road and this Caravan I'm already near turns left and goes ahead of me.

If you were going to do that you should drive fast at least in front of me, but no he puts the speed limit at 40 mph and the speed limit is 45 and it's one lane. Stupid!

Then this morning a guy in a Cherokee I was turning right onto a highway and this guy in the Cherokee even when the light is already red still keeps going, geez and I'm about to turn right, idiot! That is where I got pissed. Why would you go if the stoplight is already solid red? Luckily this moron switched to the left lane so that I can turn right, but I was still pissed and flashed my brights at him.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Instructor

With a 0-60 time of 7.9, we can't out run anyone anyway..........
Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Acura web site said 6.2 or something, so false advertisement????? The car is not fast, but I don't think it is slow either, especially with 6MT.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Spirited Driving is one thing,

Being a RICER is another
Old 10-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the people with the minivans trying to race really REALLY need to chill out, i experienced some of that shit saturday night, this damn sienna kept on riding my ass and when i would move over he would line up with my car...like three times in a row...then i just left him....he wouldnt leave me alone?? people cant take a hint its not cool to F around on the highway when everyones going around 80mph and its crowded....w/e
Old 10-29-2007, 10:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Instead of pouring millions of dollars into having safer traffic laws, the government should spend all their money making public tracks everywhere????
Old 10-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that you guys mentioned, I think taht I had more occurances of ppl driving like an idiot around me, trying to outrun me, and the like, when I'm driving the TSX than when I was driving the s2k.

Not really sure what the intention/reasoning is, really...
Old 10-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
this sounds like an offtopic thread

I sometimes get those kinds of people, then they stop when they fall behind me and notice my LAPD license plate frame lol
Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 AM
Morbid

First of all, my TSX looks bone stock. Engine is bone stock. Just painted mudguards on the outside.

On a two lane road, during rush hour traffic, minding my own business, this guy in a late 90s Mustang GT does a "ricer flyby" on the right lane, and he slams on his brakes as the car in front of him makes a right turn. I'm thinking to myself, maybe a mid 20's dude trying to release his frustration at work......

Light turns red, and he decelerates and does the "nascar" zigzag maneuver like he is showing off. He's the third car from the front. I am also the third car from the light. I stop, and he nudges foward trying to get in line with my car. What's the point, we're not the first one at the light anyways?

I look, and SURPRISE! A dumbass high school kid wearing his cap backwards with a football decal on his rear windshield, blasting Eminem, with a varsity jacket. (He turned the volume up, and was shaking my side windows.)

I never knew such stereotypical high school jock-dumbass existed, but I guess I was wrong. At this point, I'm thinking, "Oh a dumbass high school jock driving a high powered RWD V8. Hope he kills himself."

He revs his engine, trying to race..... I ignore him like he's a piece of bug splatter on my windshield.

I never knew TSX gets that much attention, or let me rephrase, I don't want my car to get that much attention. It's not flashy like the EVO or WRX. And TSX is not fast, let alone be able to outrun a V8 Mustang.....

OR does this mean that I look like a high school kid, and was trying to pick a fight since he thought I was a rich spoiled kid driving an acura????

It isn't the first time, so maybe I do look like a high school kid, even though I'm 27.....
Read your sig, DUDE funny, I have that soundtrack part of the movie my computer set for windows off. For the last 3 years my folks look at me like I'm strange, or laugh, when they hear it. Made my day to read that in someones sig.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by supraken
Now that you guys mentioned, I think taht I had more occurances of ppl driving like an idiot around me, trying to outrun me, and the like, when I'm driving the TSX than when I was driving the s2k.

Not really sure what the intention/reasoning is, really...

Really? In my s2k I had EVERYBODY try to race me, especially when I had the top down and after I put my new wheels and tires on. In the TSX, i've never had anybody rev up at me or try to race me or anything. Even when I drive by the local hang outs they all just stop and stare. ha! Love it.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:01 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
not too long after i had my 06 tsx another driver in a new civic si was trying to get me to race. as much i really wanted to i did not. i did the speed limit and not too far down the road he was pulled over with a trooper.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
I've never had anyone want to race me, not in the TSX or my Mazda6
Old 10-30-2007, 08:34 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by timd38
With a 0-60 time of 7.9, we can't out run anyone anyway..........
It's actually around 7.2 with the 6 MT (and I think I've seen one 6.9 timeslip) -- not the fastest, but certainly not pokey.

I'd never plan on taking someone from a stop, but if you're just driving moderately aggressively and have the engine above 3000 RPM, you can scoot around most other cars in normal commuting.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rb1
It's actually around 7.2 with the 6 MT (and I think I've seen one 6.9 timeslip) -- not the fastest, but certainly not pokey.

I'd never plan on taking someone from a stop, but if you're just driving moderately aggressively and have the engine above 3000 RPM, you can scoot around most other cars in normal commuting.
It runs fine and I have no complaints. When I read the reviews on KBB.com, they said that if you are use to high toque V8's, the TSX may not be the car for you. My other two cars have over twice as much torque as the TSX, but I am starting to get use to it.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a guy in a BMW X5 and someone else in a frickin pickup truck want to race me. I don't know why, really, since I'm a female and I know they saw that. It's not like I was a 17 year old ricer sitting there at the light revving my engine.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:33 AM
10th Gear

for some reason people love to hurry up and pull out in front of me, like 10 feet before I get to them, then they like to go 10 mph below the speed limit.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
In a minivan
The Sienna (or my 2000 did) has the Camry V6. "Woo-hoo. Punch 'n burn. Careful of the groceries, though, your missus'll kick your @ss if the yogurt's busted up."
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
not too long after i had my 06 tsx another driver in a new civic si was trying to get me to race. as much i really wanted to i did not. i did the speed limit and not too far down the road he was pulled over with a trooper.
Was that a middle-aged guy, grey hair, in a bright blue Civic Si? He was weaving and 'gating and speeding down 70/Glenwood a few weekends ago. I wanted to put him in his place, but reined myself. Sure enough, a trooper was ahead, going t'other way. No pullover, dammit. He should'a had a license plate MDLFCRSIS.
I had a guy in a BMW X5 and someone else in a frickin pickup truck want to race me. I don't know why, really, since I'm a female and I know they saw that. It's not like I was a 17 year old ricer sitting there at the light revving my engine.
"Woo-hoo, let's impress the cute 17 yo girl ... with how dumbass we are." Just a wild guess. It's their time. As Robin Williams said, middle age is when you've achieved complete invisibility to teenage girls. I'm not there yet, a young thang told me recently, "You're pretty hot ... for a guy your age."
Originally Posted by jmty02
for some reason people love to hurry up and pull out in front of me, like 10 feet before I get to them, then they like to go 10 mph below the speed limit.
I'm with you. A lot of local drivers in this city of aggressive f***tards cannot, will not, let a car pass them, even if they're going slower. I get angry looks when someone tries to cut me off from merging (and now I have a car that will not let them), or when I'm trying to safely, lawfully overtake and pass. I just fall back and let them take the next radar gun hit. What gets me is the folks slithering from one lane to the next, no signaling, minimal clearance, with a cell phone glued to the ear (or held to the face, Captain Kirk style). Think they'd notice a cruiser on their tail?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Driving fast in Minivans is quite tempting I will admit.

My Father-in-Law has the Supercharged Toyota Previa, whenever I borrow it, it's hard to resist all the power.

Plus, you can see everything in those things!
Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Banned

He owned you that bad huh?

Seriously, that's really messed up. I remember I had a somewhat similar experience with some high school kids in a Scion tC (tC was definitely modded too). I just ignored them...not about to kill myself w/ drivers who just got their license yesterday.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Non-Acura Owner

I'm mustang guy also and I hate the stang clowns that harass everybody. Ricers (some of whom drive our beloved hondas) do the same thing, and it's even more annoying because many of them aren't even legit. I've embarassed many a civic in my mustang because they wouldn't leave me alone, but I think it's the person and not the car. A clown driving anything will bother someone in something different or especially nicer than what they're driving. My friend who likes mustangs called my car an "overpriced Honda because they call it 'luxury'" i was just like, idiot, it IS a more luxurious car and it's not liek any other Hondas they sell in the states. endrant
Old 10-31-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 1OneLove
He owned you that bad huh?
(falling off the PC wagon) Naw, the little boy just got his first BJ and he thought he invented it. Kids....
Old 11-02-2007, 02:58 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't get revved at or anything like that but anyone with a Civic with any mods on it will usually try pull next to/behind me at a light once they see me. On the highway, my vehicle is like a magnet for hispanic dudes in late 80's Hondas/Toyotas with lots of plastic chrome Autozone shit stuck on it. I had a guy in a fartcanned Corrola once spend like two miles trying to pass me (I never let him, he had no need to pass me as there was no other traffic around) before he finally got pissed off and exited.

I also once played cat and mouse with another CGP TSX (stock looking with tints and vent visors) on I95, who pulled up next to me, flashed me the peace sign and a nod, before exiting when we were done. That was cool.

For reference, my car doesn't look stock, but it's not slammed with a Raven kit, either.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Banned

I suppose modifying your car in any way that's visual, even just debadging, invites a race because some people will think you're saying "my car is badass", and if they know a TSX is a 7.9 second car and can easily beat that they might see you as easy pickings.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Such an incredibly worthless post I'll bet your fingers will be angry.

I read some posts and wonder..."what was the point?"

But really I would like to know what inspired such a dumb post.

Oh and BEFORE I'm banned for whatever period...am I surprised this was his very first post? Seems to be congruent on any site I see.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Banned

And what a worthless criticism. Aside from having zero analytical value or the qualities of a most modest critique I can't even tell whom it's directed at.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eggbert52
Such an incredibly worthless post I'll bet your fingers will be angry.

I read some posts and wonder..."what was the point?"

But really I would like to know what inspired such a dumb post.

Oh and BEFORE I'm banned for whatever period...am I surprised this was his very first post? Seems to be congruent on any site I see.

I'm surprised you wasted so much time and energy on criticizing this "worthless" post.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:28 PM

Dang, and I thought I'd bought a chick magnet like my Jeep when I got it, and I find out from this worthless post that I drive an a'hole magnet instead.

If someone thinks my car is "badass" because I've debadged, or put different wheels on it, then he definitely needs to buy a vowel.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Banned

I didn't say someone else thinks your car is badass, they think you think it's badass for having bothered yourself to debadge it. The TSX is badass, but not because it's fast, but I think someone else concerned about such things believes that's what you mean.

Debadging a TSX is a barely noticable mod but for example if you have "Powered By Honda" or a non-standard spoiler on your car I think you're inviting a race.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Racer

Lol! Today, there was a young guy in a riced up Ford Focus wanting to race me. I thought something must be wrong too, as I am also a female and I don't drive aggressively or anything.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Maybe they see a TSX on the streets and are in such awe of its looks that they get a little jealous and figure if they race and beat it they won't feel as bad for not owning one. Sorry, but for me a TSX is a car you stare and admire rather than wanting to street race. I don't get it either.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by davidspalding
If someone thinks that I think my car is "badass" because I've debadged it, then he definitely needs to buy a vowel.
Fixed.
Originally Posted by Overtaxed
Lol! Today, there was a young guy in a riced up Ford Focus wanting to race me. I thought something must be wrong too, as I am also a female and I don't drive aggressively or anything.
Okay, all you ladies need to rent American Graffiti and Rebel Without A Cause to get a good definition of this young macho car showoff syndrome.

Quick Reply: TSX is not a sports car dammit, get it straight!