16.67%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

TSX or the new Mazda3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JP2
I was in almost the exact same situation as you. I am in university and live at home - and also drive a corolla. I was thinking about getting the Mazda3 to save some money but after factoring in the resale value and the fact that I love the TSX so much more, I bought the TSX last week. I pick it up in a couple of days.

It costs more now but I know I will feel better about when driving the car. I didn't want to buy the Mazda3 and regret buying it later.

I got mine for 39200OTR - with a good price for my trade (it was tough).

How did you get the 3.8% finance?

Good luck with the car!
3.8% is effective starting October 2nd (yesterday) until November 1st.

I guess they just want to clear out the '04s in order to make room for the newer model.

I'm going to the dealer Tuesday. Let's see how it goes!

Also, in 5 years, you'll have recouped the money you're now spending on monthly payments (say $150) on TSX over 3.

And you get to drive a car which is like 100% better!
Old 10-03-2004, 08:22 PM
JP2
8th Gear

Dam that sucks. Do you think I could get the finance rate changed from 4.8% to 3.8% since I don't get the car till later this week?
Old 10-03-2004, 08:45 PM
TSX Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO, if you are poor, Mazda3 is the better choice!
Old 10-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Wow, I can't believe the proportion of income some of you are spending on your cars
Old 10-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JP2
Dam that sucks. Do you think I could get the finance rate changed from 4.8% to 3.8% since I don't get the car till later this week?
You can try. You'll probably end up saying around $15-20 a month.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Power1Pete
IMHO, if you are poor, Mazda3 is the better choice!
So true!!!
Old 10-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcg878
Wow, I can't believe the proportion of income some of you are spending on your cars
I don't know about other folks on this forum but as for me, i'm young and i got no other obligations!

If not for car, where would i spend my money on?
Old 10-03-2004, 10:51 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally Posted by rsx_r04
Instead of spending the money on a more expensive car, you could spend less on a cheaper car and save/invest the remainder.

But I'll stop --- it looks like your mind is made up anyway.

dnb, who agrees with jcg
Old 10-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Boy Genius

I don't know about other folks on this forum but as for me, i'm young and i got no other obligations!

This is true - if you don't have any other obligations, car is great! (Except for the depreciation part, but if we were all worried about that we'd all be driving beaters!) Apart from car, the best places to put your money are RRSPs (max it out every year - the tax savings alone are worth it) and travel. Material things wear out and you can't take any of them with you, but memories, stories and experiences will help you grow and last you a lifetime. But that's just me.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dnb
Instead of spending the money on a more expensive car, you could spend less on a cheaper car and save/invest the remainder.

But I'll stop --- it looks like your mind is made up anyway.

dnb, who agrees with jcg
I totally understand that i should buy property ASAP, and invest money on RRSP's.

BUT, i also want a safe car. TSX is one of the safest cars on the streets.

If you're dead, money means nothing to you.

My
Old 10-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Banned

U cant buy a car just cause its the safest car out on the market. The US and CDN government have certain crash criterias to be met before they are sold in the market. (Look at how long the WRX took to come to Canada/US)

U dont plan to get in a major car accident and use that to gauge what car to get...or else Volvos will be the #1 seller.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcdawg
U cant buy a car just cause its the safest car out on the market. The US and CDN government have certain crash criterias to be met before they are sold in the market. (Look at how long the WRX took to come to Canada/US)

U dont plan to get in a major car accident and use that to gauge what car to get...or else Volvos will be the #1 seller.

What i meant was TSX has traction and VSA whereas the Mazda3 doesn't. That's a big deciding factor, 'cuz it rains in Vancouver about 65% of the time.

Also, the TSX has 8 airbags, and the Mz3 has only 2.

I'm not saying that safety is the only concern, but it definitely is one of the major concern for me.

It seems like you don't want me to get the TSX. Why is that?
Old 10-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Get the TSX if you can
Sounds like you allready decided
Old 10-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
Get the TSX if you can
Sounds like you allready decided
Thanks!

Once again, nothing is finalized yet. Over the long run, the TSX would be marginally more expensive to get than the Mazda3, but as we all know, it's a much much better choice.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes Volvo is the most safest car because it will scare your shit out if you drive it aggressively!
Old 10-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Decroded piece of crap

go test drive both cars first. the mazda actually ain't bad.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:56 PM
Banned

Haha....im not telling you not to get the TSX..im in actually the same dilemma...the MAzda3 or the TSX.....price-wise the MAzda3 wins....features wise for the prcing of the TSX...its a deal....
They are both stylish and i can live driving either car for a long while...
My plan was to get a cheaper family car and thus i can use the rest of the $$ for other purposes

It all goes down for anyone in the same situation to decide whether they have the funds to as it is about $10,000 more.

Didnt realize u were in Vancouver, and yeah it rains more there....but the VSA would matter if you do drive agressive to the point where the traction control will help you out.

Good luck....they are both good cars and u cant raelly go wrong with any of them.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrkon
go test drive both cars first. the mazda actually ain't bad.
I've driven both cars. Both manual and automatic.

I came here 'cuz i needed everyone's input. Thanks to all!
Old 10-04-2004, 12:00 AM
Instructor

Haha....im not telling you not to get the TSX..im in actually the same dilemma...the MAzda3 or the TSX.....price-wise the MAzda3 wins....features wise for the prcing of the TSX...its a deal....
They are both stylish and i can live driving either car for a long while...
My plan was to get a cheaper family car and thus i can use the rest of the $$ for other purposes

It all goes down for anyone in the same situation to decide whether they have the funds to as it is about $10,000 more.

Didnt realize u were in Vancouver, and yeah it rains more there....but the VSA would matter if you do drive agressive to the point where the traction control will help you out.

Good luck....they are both good cars and u cant raelly go wrong with any of them.

No worries, pcdawg!

Actually, over 5 years, the price of both cars are very very similar. That's 'cuz Acura's hold their values a lot better than Mazda. But the Mz3 could be an exception.

I really don't want a car which will break down on me in 4 years. I'm an active member over at Mazda3forums, and it seems like there's a lot of problem for the car.

Also, the interior is of very very cheap quality. People have complained that their carpets are starting to worn off already!

You really do get what you pay for, and to me, $150 a month is not the end of the world. Especially if i get the TSX and it's paid off in 5 years, it'll be worth about $10,000 more than the 3 anyway.

So in essence, it's like investing. Do you agree?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Instructor

You say you can live driving either car for a long time. How long of a time are you talking about?

I've a strong feeling that in 4 years, Mz3 would give me HUGE problems. Thus i'm even more inclined on getting the TSX.

BTW, are you getting auto or std.?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Instructor

Actually where i commute to, there are hills everywhere. Thus if you have VSA, it's a lot better.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Banned

Yes and no.....investing the 10,000 now will get more returns....It all depends on whether u want to keep the car or not. If u want 2 drive til it dies...get the TSX...if u want it for several years(once the finance period is over) the Mazda3 might be a better choice.

IN terms of reliability...it favours the TSX....Honda/Acura is not far behind Toyota.
Mazda i am a bit skeptical.....their cars in the past dont have good resale value due to the lack of reliable compared to Acura...the Protege5s do well as they are popular cars so perhaps the Mazda3s will follow suit...but time will tell whether they are reliable in the long run and keep the publics interest.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Instructor

Seems like Mazda's already getting upholstery problems: http://www.mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=12125
Old 10-04-2004, 12:14 AM
Banned

First run cars always has problems..at least the Mazda3 u can say they are in their second year as they were in the market in Japan before they came over to North America.....they are bound to happen...but yah..they do scare off consumers.....

Remember you get what u paid for
Old 10-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Instructor

First run cars always has problems..at least the Mazda3 u can say they are in their second year as they were in the market in Japan before they came over to North America.....they are bound to happen...but yah..they do scare off consumers.....

Remember you get what u paid for

Very very true.

So, have you decided?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:52 AM
Master in Science

Dumb question. The Mazda3 is a much lower class.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:52 AM
Master in Science

Plus Mazda = Ford. Yuck!
Old 10-04-2004, 01:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by slo007
Dumb question. The Mazda3 is a much lower class.
Sure, the Mazda is in a lower class, but it handles nearly as well as the TSX for over $12,000 Cdn. less!

I don't understand how that's a dumb question.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Advanced

cause tsx should only be compared to mazda6!
Old 10-04-2004, 07:47 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

You really do get what you pay for, and to me, $150 a month is not the end of the world. Especially if i get the TSX and it's paid off in 5 years, it'll be worth about $10,000 more than the 3 anyway.

So in essence, it's like investing. Do you agree?
It's like investing in a depreciating asset. You're thinking clearly about the difference in resale between the two, but I think you are overestimating (by a lot) how much each will be worth in 5 years

I say get the Mazda3, and invest the 10k in various strategies to get laid
Old 10-04-2004, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey pcdawg! are you the one that used to own an E46 cab? did you remember me? It is tough to choose between Mazda3 & TSX! both are made in Japan but for your case, you better get TSX since you need to fold down the rear seat in order to have cargo space for stoller, bike ...etc. Oh yeah! I forgot there is a Sedan version of Mazda 3 but it is ugly! the front air dam remind me of that ugly aero kit on E46 coupe and I will only go for the hatch one but the hatch one actually has less cargo room if the rear seat is not folding down and you need your back seat for car seat so it is not for you! BTW, my E46 is already looks very different now! I have CH & mtech kit on and planning to get M3 mirror soon. I love the look of my E46 but I love to drive my tsx way way more!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by ianz
Old 10-04-2004, 11:20 AM
6th Gear

The Mazda 6 is built in the USA. The Mazda 3 is built in Japan.

As for air bags, here in the USA, the car can be outfitted with side-curtain air bags. The side-curtain bags are required if the car is equipped with Xenon lights.

I agree with another post, that the trunk space in the Mazda 3 5-door is smaller than the TSX, when the rear seat is "up". But, if you ever need to haul large items, there is no substitute for the utility of a hatchback.

This debate could go on for a while. Yes, the $10,000 savings in buying a Mazda 3 is compelling. But, it's the emotional appeal that often dictates what cars we buy. I went with the TSX, seeing as I've had nearly ten cars in the past ten years. I decided it was time to buy a car that I would be happy with for years and years. I already have an SUV and an Alpina (the track/weekend car) - so I figured the TSX would be the perfect daily driver. I think the Acura will be a more reliable and desireable car in the long-run. I'm probably in the minority, but I went with the 5 spd AT seeing as this was going to be my commuter. The Mazda 3 only had a 4 spd AT (with Tip), and did not (as you indicated) have VSA, so that did factor into my decision.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ianz
Thanks for your opinion, but that's not what i was looking for in your answer.

I was wondering what you guys what do if you were in my situation. But thanks, once again, for reminding me what a dumb question i asked.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:08 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I hear you rsx_r04. I'm not evening consider a Mazda6 because it would cost as much or more than an equally equiped TSX. If I'm going to spend that much, then I'll get the TSX for sure. On the other hand, a somewhat equally equiped Mazda3 can be had for several thousands less than a TSX. That's the only reason I'm considering it.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Banned

Hey IanS....i remmber u.....yah..i did own a BMW cabrio.....but had 2 get rid of it since i have a kid....it gets too windy in the backseats and my wife always complain about her being so dirty at the end of the day.....

Im leaning towards the TSX for several reasons,
1) Reliability ...hondas/acuras have shown good track records
2) Resale value...for sure it will hold a much better value than the Mazda3
3) Safety....reports had come out stating that the Mazda3 is not a safe car just recently
4) For the competition it is in, its the best price and value (Audi, BMWs, Lexus)
5) Price of repairs and parts will cost less.....i know as i have a 2001 BMW and man...maintenace on that thing was expensive

The mazda6 to me should belong here..but it seems like a full-sized sedan category which the TSX is not....
Old 10-04-2004, 03:56 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by jcg878
yea, 75% of my income goes for the TSX monthly. But after 14 months I still have no regret, this is simply the best car in its class.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:56 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MSZ
yea, 75% of my income goes for the TSX monthly. But after 14 months I still have no regret, this is simply the best car in its class.
With that much of your income going to your car, I suppose you must rent or live at home, ehh? Spending that much of one's income of something that depreciates so rapidly seems crazy to me.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:06 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by STL
With that much of your income going to your car, I suppose you must rent or live at home, ehh? Spending that much of one's income of something that depreciates so rapidly seems crazy to me.

I think I am crazy, I know I won't be able to afford an Acura in the future, so I want to own one while I am still young. But I do plan to move out of my parents' home in 5 to 6 years, I have been saving hard right now.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:49 PM
6MT Snob

Would you just guy buy your TSX allready

Quick Reply: TSX or the new Mazda3?