16.67%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

TSX or the new Mazda3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX or the new Mazda3?

Hey guys. I'm looking for a new car, but can't decide b/w these 2 cars. I know they're not even on the same category... but i just want your opinion.

I'm a university student, so money is sort of an issue. Should i opt out for the Mazda3, with OTR price of $26,500 (Cdn.), or go for the TSX which the dealer is giving it to me for $39,900?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Race Director

Well, your asking a TSX message board, what car they think you should buy...clearly it will be the TSX. Since you do mention money, you have to use your head and think of practicaility. How will you be able to use that 10k, how much will it benefit you..can you get away with buying the better car....but to answer your question..TSX!
Old 10-02-2004, 12:41 AM
101 years of heartache...

more like scion tC or Mazda 3, Volvo S40 or Acura TSX. 2 completely different classes.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:01 AM
Decroded piece of crap

depends on how long you plan on keeping your car. if you just want a small practical fun to drive car that you'll ditch later, get the mazda. if you want a more mature car that's well balanced in everything and have enough money to shell out, get the tsx.

I just graduated from college, and i just got a tsx because I got a job and got nothing to drive (I'm planning to drive it for 10+ years) - truthfully, i don't feel like i deserve it right now because it's too refined in every category. If I were in your position, I'd get a beater until you graduate and start working, because university parking is likely to ding up your brand new baby. And if money is an issue, and you get a tsx, people will think you're loaded (and/or spoiled) and sometimes that's not necessarily a good thing.

just my two cents.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrkon
depends on how long you plan on keeping your car. if you just want a small practical fun to drive car that you'll ditch later, get the mazda. if you want a more mature car that's well balanced in everything and have enough money to shell out, get the tsx.

I just graduated from college, and i just got a tsx because I got a job and got nothing to drive (I'm planning to drive it for 10+ years) - truthfully, i don't feel like i deserve it right now because it's too refined in every category. If I were in your position, I'd get a beater until you graduate and start working, because university parking is likely to ding up your brand new baby. And if money is an issue, and you get a tsx, people will think you're loaded (and/or spoiled) and sometimes that's not necessarily a good thing.

just my two cents.
Thanks a lot, man.

Yeah, i think i'll just go with Mazda3 now, and in few years, get the TSX.

Damn, i love the TSX!
Old 10-02-2004, 01:18 AM
Decroded piece of crap

glad to be of help... do you own a rsx? if you do i'd just stick with that, it's a fun car.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:22 AM
Boy Genius

I agree with everything mrkon said. If money weren't an object, I'd go for the TSX. But since it is and seeing as how you are in university, I would go for the Mazda 3. The real answer also depends on a few more things, such as insurance, maintenance, and how long you intend to keep your car (factor in the cost of depreciation). Also, are you just starting university or are you about to graduate and get a job which will help you with your payments sooner? A final tip: since the taxes take a lot from you in Canada, it helped me to think of how much everything costs in pre-tax dollars (i.e. you'd need to earn $30,000 to afford a $20,000 car if you get taxed at 33%). I didn't have a great car through most of university, but hard work, perseverance, a little prudence, and a lot of exams later, a nice car meant that much more to me. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2004, 02:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lokman
I agree with everything mrkon said. If money weren't an object, I'd go for the TSX. But since it is and seeing as how you are in university, I would go for the Mazda 3. The real answer also depends on a few more things, such as insurance, maintenance, and how long you intend to keep your car (factor in the cost of depreciation). Also, are you just starting university or are you about to graduate and get a job which will help you with your payments sooner? A final tip: since the taxes take a lot from you in Canada, it helped me to think of how much everything costs in pre-tax dollars (i.e. you'd need to earn $30,000 to afford a $20,000 car if you get taxed at 33%). I didn't have a great car through most of university, but hard work, perseverance, a little prudence, and a lot of exams later, a nice car meant that much more to me. Good luck!

Hey, thanks for your advice!

To answer your (maybe mine too) questions:

I'm almost done uni! 1 more year to go. Insurance is only about $300 more for the TSX, and i calculated that i'd be forking in about $300 more for the gas too.

Since i still live with parents, i don't need to worry about rent/utility.

My mom really loves Acura and she doesn't mind chipping in a bit on the payments, so long as i get the TSX! Talk about having a cool mom!

I'd buy the TSX if i get an awesome deal on an '04 model. If not, then Mazda3, here i come!
Old 10-02-2004, 02:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrkon
glad to be of help... do you own a rsx? if you do i'd just stick with that, it's a fun car.
No, that's just my nickname. I drive a Corolla... and giving it to my sister 'cuz she just got her license.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:37 AM
Instructor

It depends on you

For me, i take the tsx all day long. yeah.. price might be a issue, but life is too short. you dont know what is next and you can be killed by an auto accident next minute.
Mazda is owned by FORD motor company. AND WHEN YOU COMPARE, YOU HAVE TO COMPARE WITH SAME EQUIPMENT. IF TSX HAVE ANTI LOCK BRAKES, SIDE CURTAIN AIR BAGS, ETC. IT MUST BE THE SAME. THE PRICE IS HIGHER BECAUSE THEY COME WITH THE TSX WHILE IS AN OPTIONAL ITEM FOR MAZDA 3. DID U KNOW WHEN U ADD UP WITH THE SAME EQUIPMENT WITH THE MAZDA 6, THE TSX IS ABOUT THE SAME PRICE?
OF COURSE I STICK WITH TSX. RESALE VALUE ON MAZDA SUCKS AND THEY DONT HOLD VALUE AT ALL.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by achan268888
For me, i take the tsx all day long. yeah.. price might be a issue, but life is too short. you dont know what is next and you can be killed by an auto accident next minute.
Mazda is owned by FORD motor company. AND WHEN YOU COMPARE, YOU HAVE TO COMPARE WITH SAME EQUIPMENT. IF TSX HAVE ANTI LOCK BRAKES, SIDE CURTAIN AIR BAGS, ETC. IT MUST BE THE SAME. THE PRICE IS HIGHER BECAUSE THEY COME WITH THE TSX WHILE IS AN OPTIONAL ITEM FOR MAZDA 3. DID U KNOW WHEN U ADD UP WITH THE SAME EQUIPMENT WITH THE MAZDA 6, THE TSX IS ABOUT THE SAME PRICE?
OF COURSE I STICK WITH TSX. RESALE VALUE ON MAZDA SUCKS AND THEY DONT HOLD VALUE AT ALL.
a loaded manual Mazda3 GT Sport is $28000 OTD and TSX is $39000 OTD and there are only only a few dirrerence in equipment.
TSX : power seat, in-dash cd-changer, 8 air bag, VSA
Mazda 3: 2-stage air bag, rain sensor wipers, EBD, fog light, hatch
Both are made in Japan and both hold their resale value very good (P5 hold its resale value better than RSX).
I was having a hard time to pick between these 2 a while ago. I test drove both very extensively and they both are really excellent in every aspect and put my other car(E46 M-sport 328i) in shame. But since I was trading in a Prelude and I love the high rev to death so TSX is more suit my taste and also the 6sp manual on tsx will make to addict to shift . When you go for tsx, please add an extra $1000 to option the a-spec suspension, it make a big different!
Old 10-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Since i still live with parents, i don't need to worry about rent/utility
It depends on how much you earn each year, really. STOP spending so much on car and take responsibility for paying your own home,

If you don't earn 60K$CAD+ a year, forget ithe TSX. If you don't earn 40K$CAD+ a year, forget the Mazda3. And this is a stretch; rule of thumb is to spend maximum half of your annual income , taxes included.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:31 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you're asking on a TSX forum. i'd buy an Acura before I buy a mazda.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:25 AM
bleh...

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
more like scion tC or Mazda 3, Volvo S40 or Acura TSX. 2 completely different classes.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:26 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Mazda3 may be the smart choice if you are on a budget. The only thing that would stop me from getting it though is the piss porr crash test rating. You should keep that in mind if you are very concerned about saftey.

P.S. I dont think he is asking which car is a better car, just which car woudl be the better choice for a university student in his situation.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:29 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
The Mazda3 may be the smart choice if you are on a budget. The only thing that would stop me from getting it though is the piss porr crash test rating. You should keep that in mind if you are very concerned about saftey.

P.S. I dont think he is asking which car is a better car, just which car woudl be the better choice for a university student in his situation.
it's also being recalled b/c airbags won't deploy...
http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_mazda_recalled/
Old 10-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fdl
Thank you.

Clearly i prefer the TSX... no questions about it.

As someone mentioned... i earn not a whole lot working part-time, but i could still afford the car as i've got enough money saved over from last 5 years.

As for getting a house, i need to get a car first, and then the house.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ianS
a loaded manual Mazda3 GT Sport is $28000 OTD and TSX is $39000 OTD and there are only only a few dirrerence in equipment.
TSX : power seat, in-dash cd-changer, 8 air bag, VSA
Mazda 3: 2-stage air bag, rain sensor wipers, EBD, fog light, hatch
Both are made in Japan and both hold their resale value very good (P5 hold its resale value better than RSX).
I was having a hard time to pick between these 2 a while ago. I test drove both very extensively and they both are really excellent in every aspect and put my other car(E46 M-sport 328i) in shame. But since I was trading in a Prelude and I love the high rev to death so TSX is more suit my taste and also the 6sp manual on tsx will make to addict to shift . When you go for tsx, please add an extra $1000 to option the a-spec suspension, it make a big different!

Thanks ian. I got quoted $26,500 OTR for Mazda3 GT, with GFX (sunroof) 5 speed, and $39,900 for TSX 6 speed.

After test driving both cars, it's so hard to believe that the 3 can keep up with the TSX in terms of handling.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by rsx_r04

As for getting a house, i need to get a car first, and then the house.
Working part-time, the last thing you need is an expensive car.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:03 PM
OCD in the OC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever you do, don't go:

Mazda-Redlands Mazda at Redlands Auto Center
500 W Redlands Blvd, Redlands, CA
(909) 793-2141

They tried to ripp me off. Don't ask for Marlene, Tony, or Eric.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Saintor
Working part-time, the last thing you need is an expensive car.

Very true.

Seems like the 3 is the most practical choice for me.

Thanks all you guys for your input.

I'll be back in 4 years when i get my TSX!
Old 10-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks ian. I got quoted $26,500 OTR for Mazda3 GT, with GFX (sunroof) 5 speed, and $39,900 for TSX 6 speed.

After test driving both cars, it's so hard to believe that the 3 can keep up with the TSX in terms of handling.
The $28000 Mazda3 is GT Sport(hatchback) with sunroof, leather, air
and should at least able to get $39000 TSX or even $38500 depends on timing. IMO, try to avoid car payment if you are not in stable income.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ccarbajal08
Whatever you do, don't go:

Mazda-Redlands Mazda at Redlands Auto Center
500 W Redlands Blvd, Redlands, CA
(909) 793-2141

They tried to ripp me off. Don't ask for Marlene, Tony, or Eric.
Haha, he is from Canada! hey are you from Toronto too?
Old 10-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ianS
Haha, he is from Canada! hey are you from Toronto too?
Vancouver, BC.

The reason why i wanna get the TSX now is that there'll be an increase in MSRP for the '05 TSX. Also, i'm getting a very low finance rate, as opposed to getting 5.9 for the 3.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Potential TSX owner....

Wouldn't the Mazda6 be closer for cross-shopping? But, I'd go for an Acura over Mazda any day.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Very true.

Seems like the 3 is the most practical choice for me.

Thanks all you guys for your input.

I'll be back in 4 years when i get my TSX!

Move out of your parents home, then worry about TSXs and the like
Old 10-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcg878

Can't move out just yet. Maybe within the next 2 years.

Do you guys want me to post pics of my new car, whatever it may be?
Old 10-02-2004, 04:25 PM
6MT Snob

In your situation I voted for the Mazda 3.

My only other question would be if you were leasing or buying. If you were leasing the lease payments between the two (at least in the US) are pretty damn close, but buying would be a larger margin.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Instructor

I see where you are coming from, i was deciding between the G35 and the TSX, again totally different classes. But here is some food for thought, 1st, are you going to lease or finance? If lease, Mazda does not lease well at all because thier residual value is HORRIBLE. If you are going to finance, you can get 0%, so the 3 will be more affordable and you will get a lot with your money, and with 0%, you might not end up upside-down on your car. Anything above 0%, you will more than likely end up upside-down, then your trapped.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by samir786
I see where you are coming from, i was deciding between the G35 and the TSX, again totally different classes. But here is some food for thought, 1st, are you going to lease or finance? If lease, Mazda does not lease well at all because thier residual value is HORRIBLE. If you are going to finance, you can get 0%, so the 3 will be more affordable and you will get a lot with your money, and with 0%, you might not end up upside-down on your car. Anything above 0%, you will more than likely end up upside-down, then your trapped.
I'm financing. And the rate for the 3 is 5.9%, and for TSX is 4.8%.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jcg878

I got my TSX first and now I'm looking to get a house

What's gonna play in your situation is also where you're gonna work and how much you think you'll be making and how soon you can get a job after graduation. If you're not sure about when/where/how much for a job, I'd say go with the 3 for now and once you find a job that pays well enough for a TSX, then trade in the 3.

I couldn't find for a job (in my field) for a while after graduation and that stopped me from getting a Silverado...o-thank I didn't get one!!!!
Old 10-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
I got my TSX first and now I'm looking to get a house

What's gonna play in your situation is also where you're gonna work and how much you think you'll be making and how soon you can get a job after graduation. If you're not sure about when/where/how much for a job, I'd say go with the 3 for now and once you find a job that pays well enough for a TSX, then trade in the 3.

I couldn't find for a job (in my field) for a while after graduation and that stopped me from getting a Silverado...o-thank I didn't get one!!!!

Actually... i already have a job lined up after i graduate. Will be making about $2,300 a month.

My mom told me that resale value of the Acura would be much better than the Mazda. Say in 5 years if i were to sell the car, for Mazda i'd probably get $15,000 and for Acura, i'd get atleast $25,000.

Therefore, the extra monthly payments of $150 over 60 months would be recouped when (and if) i sell the Acura.

I'm leaning more on Acura now than ever before. I get 8 airbags, VSA and traction control, better stereo, 6 speed, HID, and a whole lot more!

Should i be daring and accept the monthly payments of $150 more for Acura, or should i cheap out?

If i get the 3, i'm really stuck w/ that car for next 5 years and when i resale it, i won't even get good money for it. Right?

I really need more input, please!
Old 10-02-2004, 08:39 PM
6MT Snob

Actually... i already have a job lined up after i graduate. Will be making about $2,300 a month.

My mom told me that resale value of the Acura would be much better than the Mazda. Say in 5 years if i were to sell the car, for Mazda i'd probably get $15,000 and for Acura, i'd get atleast $25,000.

Therefore, the extra monthly payments of $150 over 60 months would be recouped when (and if) i sell the Acura.
For a second I thought you were totally smoking crack with the resale prices and then i realized that you were talking CAN$

Okay you are going to be making 2300 a mo.. now is that 2300 a mo net or gross?

You also mention 150/mo difference.. but you dont mention the actual payment. How much longer do you want to live at home? Basically you need to sit down and write yourself a budget. Take what you will be making NET a month, subtract your car payment, insurance, cell bill etc. Then factor in rent, utilties, food etc.. Then look at the number you have at the end of the month, if the amount of disgressionary funds is say less then 15-20% of your total income, then you are probably over extending yourself.

Its hard going from living with your parents to living on your own, my relic ass still lives at home because computers/toys/cars etc have been more important to me the moving out, in addition to my mother being ill. So now I am at the point where I thuoght I was ready to move out and did the math and was like, shit.. if I move out I will have zero savings and only 8% of my net income a month left after bills etc.

So I decided to spend the next 6 mos busting my ass getting completly out of debt, and saving up every extra penny. You are at a point where you probably dont even have any debt yet. So think about what you really want, I mean I know you really want a new car, that goes without saying. While 2300/mo CAN is not bad if thats net income, how much longer do you want to live at home?

If you can see yourself living at home for a few more years and slowly saving up a nice nestegg to put down an healthy downpayment on a house/townhouse then go ahead and get the nicer car. But if you dont want to be living at home for that long then you really need to step back and look at your priorities in life and think where you want to be 5 years down the road and make decisions based on that and not the burning desire to get a cool car.. just my
Old 10-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gfxdave99
For a second I thought you were totally smoking crack with the resale prices and then i realized that you were talking CAN$

Okay you are going to be making 2300 a mo.. now is that 2300 a mo net or gross?

You also mention 150/mo difference.. but you dont mention the actual payment. How much longer do you want to live at home? Basically you need to sit down and write yourself a budget. Take what you will be making NET a month, subtract your car payment, insurance, cell bill etc. Then factor in rent, utilties, food etc.. Then look at the number you have at the end of the month, if the amount of disgressionary funds is say less then 15-20% of your total income, then you are probably over extending yourself.

Its hard going from living with your parents to living on your own, my relic ass still lives at home because computers/toys/cars etc have been more important to me the moving out, in addition to my mother being ill. So now I am at the point where I thuoght I was ready to move out and did the math and was like, shit.. if I move out I will have zero savings and only 8% of my net income a month left after bills etc.

So I decided to spend the next 6 mos busting my ass getting completly out of debt, and saving up every extra penny. You are at a point where you probably dont even have any debt yet. So think about what you really want, I mean I know you really want a new car, that goes without saying. While 2300/mo CAN is not bad if thats net income, how much longer do you want to live at home?

If you can see yourself living at home for a few more years and slowly saving up a nice nestegg to put down an healthy downpayment on a house/townhouse then go ahead and get the nicer car. But if you dont want to be living at home for that long then you really need to step back and look at your priorities in life and think where you want to be 5 years down the road and make decisions based on that and not the burning desire to get a cool car.. just my

Wow, thanks a lot for your 16 cents!

I don't mind staying at this house for the next few years. I love it here, it's great! I'd much rather have a nice car than to live alone in an apartment right now.

For the Mazda, i'll be paying around $450 a month, 0 down. With the TSX, i'll be paying around $600 with about $2,000 down.

I guess it's been decided. Me go to dealer Tuesday and buy TSX!!!
Old 10-03-2004, 12:55 AM
6th Gear

I had a Mazda GLC (hatchback) through college and it was a great car. I drove that car for 15 years. The hatchback proved very useful as my poor-mans SUV in the early 90s. My Mazda proved successful at hauling furniture, moutain bikes, tires, luggage, etc,.... There's something to be said about owning a hatchback during those early years. I also didn't mind taking the car off-road, and in the snow, with the trusty front-wheel drive, and the fast that it was an econo-box that got great gas mileage on "regular" unleaded fuel.

Before buying my TSX, I too comtemplated going back to Mazda, and buying another hatchback. Here in the US, a fully loaded Mazda 3 (5-door) including S/R, leather, Xenons, side-curtains air bags would have run just over $20,000. The Mazda seems to get rave reviews from all the people that review it. However, the Mazda 3 always competes against the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla/Matrix. Those cars really aren't in the same class as the TSX.

I bought a silver TSX. It's a delight to drive everyday. It's more refined, more mature than the Mazda 3. The Mazda 3 didn't score very well in the side impact collision test. I also wasn't wooed by the Mazda 3 styling, expecially the back of the car.

Honestly, either way you can't go wrong. Of all the cars I considered, I too narrowed my decision down between the Mazda 3 and the TSX. Having been a longtime, satisfied Mazda owner, I know this is a hard decision.

Besides, if you are into cars as much as the rest of us, you'll probably have a special interest car to toy around with. Mine other toys are classic BMWs.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2004, 03:00 AM
Decroded piece of crap

i too drove the mazda3 and tsx before i bought. the mazda is a fun little car with very nimble handling, but i felt the interior materials was crap. it was just cheap hard plastic. wtf. even with the nav, xenon and all that stuff, the dash is still the same material as my legos from 12 years ago. The back was ugly too.

I actually stepped foot into the Acura dealer wanting to buy the RSX but ended up driving home in the TSX. You should be comparing the RSX with the mazda... but even so, i'd still stick with the RSX. Never trust magazines completely, go test drive always.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 10-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Advanced

i think it should be mazda3 or EL, and mazda6 or tsx
10 grand is a big jump...
Old 10-03-2004, 03:36 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts

I'm leaning more on Acura now than ever before. I get 8 airbags, VSA and traction control, better stereo, 6 speed, HID, and a whole lot more!

Should i be daring and accept the monthly payments of $150 more for Acura, or should i cheap out?

If i get the 3, i'm really stuck w/ that car for next 5 years and when i resale it, i won't even get good money for it. Right?

I really need more input, please!

I am 22, I make $1400 a month and I am financing it for 60 months at 6.8%(I got the car in July 03).

GO FOR THE TSX!!!!!! Since you make almost twice the $ as I do.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MSZ
I am 22, I make $1400 a month and I am financing it for 60 months at 6.8%(I got the car in July 03).

GO FOR THE TSX!!!!!! Since you make almost twice the $ as I do.
That's neat.

I'm getting a much better finance rate (3.8%) for 60 months.

I'm going to the dealer Tuesday to talk about pricing.

How much are you guys paying for your TSX? Does $39,000 OTR sound good (Cdn.)?
Old 10-03-2004, 06:48 PM
JP2
8th Gear

I was in almost the exact same situation as you. I am in university and live at home - and also drive a corolla. I was thinking about getting the Mazda3 to save some money but after factoring in the resale value and the fact that I love the TSX so much more, I bought the TSX last week. I pick it up in a couple of days.

It costs more now but I know I will feel better about when driving the car. I didn't want to buy the Mazda3 and regret buying it later.

I got mine for 39200OTR - with a good price for my trade (it was tough).

How did you get the 3.8% finance?

Good luck with the car!

Quick Reply: TSX or the new Mazda3?