TSX in the mix

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TSX in the mix

I am just about ready to make a car purchase, and have all along had my eye on the TL. I'm going to have to start being fiscally responsible now because i would like a house and children in the future. I never for even a second considered the TSX. Not sure why, but the TL stole the show I suppose. I have searched both here and the TL forum for everyones opinions on the differences and such.

Just to make sure I have my story straight, the 05 TSX has added power seats, XM radio, and the cool blue lighting that shines down on the instruments. Some perks are better handling(more nimble), coll chrome accents, and made in Japan. My one big concern is the 4 cylinder engine. I swore that I would never own one again. But this one has 200 horse. Does this make it seem like its not really a 4 banger because it has so many ponies. Is the car fast/peppy/spirited?? What % of you guys got the manual??

Is the navi the same exact as the TL?? The stereo is 360 watts which seems sweet. Plus it plays MP3's. Tomorrow I'm going for a test drive. I was quoted a price of $27,493 for the navi and $25,672 for the non-navi. Are these acceptable?? Thanks a million for any insight. I need a little nudge here. My other main contender is the Subaru Legacy GT limited.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where in NY were you quoted those prices? They are very good. I am looking to get a TSX as well and was quoted $28,995 on line from my local dealer for the TSX w/ navi.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BonzoAPD
where in NY were you quoted those prices? They are very good. I am looking to get a TSX as well and was quoted $28,995 on line from my local dealer for the TSX w/ navi.

Heart Acura in Wappingers Falls NY. This is on route 9 in the mid hudson valley.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Well...alot of people are surprised when they ask me if my TSX is a V6...

But the only real way to tell is to test drive one... Have you done so allready?
Old 01-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Registered Abuser

I was going to make some comments about the TSX, but I'm too distracted by Rodney's avatar.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rodney
Is the navi the same exact as the TL?? The stereo is 360 watts which seems sweet. Plus it plays MP3's. Tomorrow I'm going for a test drive. I was quoted a price of $27,493 for the navi and $25,672 for the non-navi. Are these acceptable?? Thanks a million for any insight. I need a little nudge here. My other main contender is the Subaru Legacy GT limited.

The TSX plays MP3 or do you mean the TL? 'Cause I don't think the TSX does.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:38 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

The 04 TSX had a power driver seat, but the 05 added power passenger seat, XM radio, lighted steering wheel controls, and new color combinations.

The TL was the car I originally looked to buy, but after test driving the TSX I was convinced that the extra $5k-6k wasn't worth it. The TSX is pretty peppy, and most of my friends don't believe that its only a 4 banger. You definitely won't beat anyone off the line, but I have taken out a 330ci, and a 240 kompessor on some twisty roads. (both of which are at least $8k more than the TSX built with the same features)

All in all, the handling is far better on the TSX than the TL, and the gas mileage is a lot better. I get about 28.5 mpg mixed driving in NYC traffic, and driving pretty fast during my morning commute. The navi are basically the same minus blue tooth and TSX doesn't play mp3s, but with a 6CD changer that is more than enough music for me to listen too.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:03 AM
Instructor

In addition to the 6 CD player, there's satellite radio which has certainly made my wife and me converts; it's just awesome!
Regarding the engine; it's extremely smooth and surprisingly (to me) powerful.
I also like the fact that it's not turbocharged. My Audi TT was turbocharged, and it seemed like it had an "on-off' switch regarding power.
The fact that I can't "beat" other cars at stoplight drag races doesn't concern me at all. What appeals to me more is that the TSX is so well-balanced overall, and is so much fun to drive.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:20 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 694 Likes on 417 Posts
About MP3, the standard CD player in the TSX doesn't play them, you need to get a dealer-installed MP3 player. Or do what many people here did, get the $100 after market add-on that lets you plug in your own MP3 player, it's cheaper and doesn't eat up your storage compartment.

As for the pep, I test-drove the 5AT TSX, a 330i, an Accord V6 and a G35, all automatics. I don't remember being impressed with the pickup on the other cars, I noticed they felt just slightly faster but not nearly enough to justify the extra cost (or the worse handling and looks on the Accord). I'm sure if you do a 0-60 there will be a difference but as far as "feel"... not enough difference for me.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:29 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have no complaints about this 4 cylinder. Honda is the king of 4 cylinder engines. I think they are way more fun then many other larger engines. Something about being at 7000 rpm's and hearing that engine wail and ask for more. It sounds so nice when its screaming. Get this car up around 40 in 3rd gear, punch it and it hauls with the best of them. It has no balls off the line, but It can truley keep up with the best once it gets going. I think C&D did a comparo of the 30-60 times of the TSX and the very powerful Subaru Legacy GT and they were VERY close.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Drifting

Wow, once again I thank everyone for the opinions. Just a little info. If everything goes as planned, I would get married in like 2 1/2 years, and then hopefully have children soon there after. I can afford both vehicles. Im just coming out of a $654 month car payment. But thats just silly. I have my eye down the road for the first time ever. You know you're getting old when you start long term thinking and planning. I agree that he 84 month loan is dumb and uneconomical.

Anyway, I just spent 2 hours at the Acura dealership going over tons of #'s and taking test drives. Ive driven the TL 4 previous times, but this was my first drive in a TSX. It unfortunately was an auto, but I still liked it quite a bit. Surely its no speed demon, but it went pretty good. They didn't have any manuals so I missed out on that, and they obviously are a little faster, so I would be even more pleased. I think the , as most everone else, that the TSX is more nimble, and has better steering feel, very heavy, tight, and responsive. the TL steering was a bit more numb and disconnected. One other cocnlusion I came up with was the TL has 270 horse, but sadly you can't utilize them. If you're going 40 and punch it, you get a little whhel spin and jerk and experience torque steer. I think 240 is the limit for a FWD platform. The TSX has only 200 horse, but you can put them all to work!! Plus I think the sound system, minus the dvd-a which is nuisance to me personally, is superior in the TSX. That thing pumps out 360 watts vs. the TL's 225. The Blue tooth phone I can live without. Visually I think both cars are stunning. I may even like the rear on the TSX a tiny bit more. Also the "assembled in Japan" goes a long way. I also like the chrome accents and newly aquired XM radio and blue lighting for the interior. Im just trying to persuade myself to go for the cheaper car. Its hard to do because sitting in the TL is heavenly. Bigger and better to put it simply.

I know this may sound like I've made up my mind, but thats not so. I still wonder if I can live without the V6 umph all the time. At low and medium speeds the TL accelerates effortlessly. I like that. But since Im the most indecisive person in the world, Im going to go nuts trying to figure this out!!
Old 01-21-2005, 06:20 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Indecisive? I say screw it and get an M3 or 911!
Old 01-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Indecisive? I say screw it and get an M3 or 911!

Now you're talkin Maybe Ill go jump on the 05 Audi S4 lease for 499 a month.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Ok, the lease may actually be the best bet.
You sound like life is planned out, getting married having kids.
So, where does the child seat go? Fits fine in the TL, might be a little tighter in the TSX. And what is the cost difference month to month?

A little history about me, 2 kids age 2 and 4 1/2. In my garage an 04 TL Navi Auto and right next to it an 05 Non-navi 6MT. I drive the TSX to and from work. Wife shuttles the girls around town in the TL.

The TL will leave the TSX at the line but I really enjoy the drive to work. Didn't think I would ever own another manual transmission but love the TSX (I have very little stop and go traffic).

The TL has the better sound system but the TSX works just fine for me.
TL isolates noise better and it is hard to beat the power that is available right now. The TSX makes me work for the power a little but is still a blast to drive.

I hope life goes as you are planning, lot of change.
I would say, Lease a S4 for three years and by the time the kids are here you can get a car that fits your family. Enjoy life know, you will never know what you did with all your free time once you have kids.

BTW insurance is $70 to 100 cheaper for the TSX compared to the TL every 6 months for me.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:38 PM
SI Drive

Rod,

Coming from someone who somewhat has your same mindset, you are left with some questions. Let me tell you what I considered:

Legacy GT Limited (Sedan and Wagon) - I thought about this car both my job and family as well. It has the power, but for all the times that I test drove it, I always had some sort of turbo lag.

TL - Just like all the others mention above, it just has too much power for a FWD platform and I felt the torque steer when I tried to punch it out of a turn.

TSX - This was ultimately my choice because not only was it fun to drive, but it far outhandled anything else that I had test driven.

I came from a 2000 V6 Honda Accord. Compared to my TSX, that thing had off the line torque. But the real difference came when I first took my TSX up to a windy mountain road and really had fun with it. The next time you test drive a TSX, punch it up to the 7K RPM mark, and take a corner fast. You'll see how much fun this car is to drive. I don't miss the V6 power, I believe that you'll quickly begin to love how much the TSX loves to rev and how well it handles.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rodney
Now you're talkin Maybe Ill go jump on the 05 Audi S4 lease for 499 a month.

how much down?
Old 01-22-2005, 03:49 AM
Racer

I really wanted an S2000, but it wasn't the most practical car. The bottom line for me was I got the same fun to drive feeling in the TSX with 2 extra doors and a roomier trunk with a much better interior.

The TL had all those features as well, but I just couldn't get over the torque steer. To minimize that, you could go with the A-Spec TL, but your talking about $10K more than the TSX.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Pro

Coming from a smaller car (Integra), I couldn't get over how freakin' wide the TL is. In fact, if we had bought it, I wouldn't have been able to park in the parking garage - or I'd have some big arse scratches on the sides from the cement pillars and ramp walls. The TL felt life a comfy, oversized leather glove - if I lived in the 'burbs and wanted something plush as opposed to having an edge, it might have been an option. For me, safely dodging idiot drivers and pedestrians is more important than straight line speed.

I'm married and am expecting a child later this year - I expect the TSX to be a wonderful family car as well as continue to be a wonderful daily driver for me.