View Poll Results: Is the TSX a luxury car?
Yes
40.14%
No
16.55%
Closet you can get before its considered a luxury vehicle
43.31%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Is TSX a Luxury Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cibs
also according to this link from your precious wiki , it's entry-level luxury...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_TSX
thanks, that confirms what i said in my very first post. thanks for the supporting website!
Old 12-12-2006, 03:08 PM
TSX 1138

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also according to the wiki entry Acura is a Luxury car manufacturer...
I may be wrong, but Acura doesn't manufacture anything. A more correct statement would be "Honda manufactures luxury cars branded Acura"
Old 12-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Thanks for posting up the link twice for those of us that didn't catch it the first time...

but according to your link the TSX would fall into Entry Level Luxury according to it's price range, a TSX with Navi defintiely falls into the range according to the wiki entry..

also according to the wiki entry Acura is a Luxury car manufacturer... i guess you only agree with parts of the entry then... not completely like you stated here...
also in line with my original post is the following quote from the wiki site:

"In addition to being relatively expensive, luxury cars also offer a higher degree of comfort than their mainstream counterparts as well as a highly sumptuous interior with a strong emphasis on design and beauty. Features such as interior leather and woodgrain are common amenities. This again is subjective, but there is a reasonable ability for people to make this determination."

i think that the acura creature comforts are great, but they just don't compare to the interiors of the lexus or merceders. the leather is so much nicer, the wood is real, all those little things.

to me this is not important, because the TSX is such a great value. I like our leather seats, they just are not as luxurious as in a lexus. to some, that matters, to others it does not.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bradykp
also in line with my original post is the following quote from the wiki site:

"In addition to being relatively expensive, luxury cars also offer a higher degree of comfort than their mainstream counterparts as well as a highly sumptuous interior with a strong emphasis on design and beauty. Features such as interior leather and woodgrain are common amenities. This again is subjective, but there is a reasonable ability for people to make this determination."

i think that the acura creature comforts are great, but they just don't compare to the interiors of the lexus or merceders. the leather is so much nicer, the wood is real, all those little things.

to me this is not important, because the TSX is such a great value. I like our leather seats, they just are not as luxurious as in a lexus. to some, that matters, to others it does not.

I agree that it doesn't compare to a 7 series... but not many cars do. Why isn't just a Bentley the standard then? where is the line drawn... like that entry you just posted says "this again is subjective" it's all subjective...

And yes i am aware that Acura doesn't actually manufacture anything, Honda manufactures it and brands it Acura, at the end of the day that's all semantics, because here in North America people buy things because of their brand names, not because of who makes it... you'd be surprised at how many people don't know Honda and Acura are together, or Nissan and Infinity are together...
Old 12-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Coming from a 1994 Brand new Volvo 850 Sedan, fully loaded. I thought that car was luxury.

From that to my TSX, let's just say, people have different points of views, because everyone comes from a different car.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
Coming from a 1994 Brand new Volvo 850 Sedan, fully loaded. I thought that car was luxury.

From that to my TSX, let's just say, people have different points of views, because everyone comes from a different car.
people may have a different opinion, but the class is not defined by people. i'm not sure who defines it, i never really questioned it. the definition i read on wikipedia, which has usually been pretty reliable source of information, is the definition i always understood.

bentley is a class above the BMW 7, that's how they described it there as well. it's ultra luxury vs high end, vs mid, vs entry.

i believe the TSX is an entry level luxury car. so i guess that makes it luxury, but to me, it's "close to luxury" as defined in the voting box. to many people, a hershey bar is a luxury. but really, godiva is luxury chocolate.

it's the same sort of thing. i guess some people look at this thread and it's how THEY define the car, and some people it's what class is the car ACTUALLY in.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
It has all the right Ingredients of a luxury car, but the bottom line is no.
We just got a 06 TSX and all the features are really cool, way more than the BMW 3. BUT when the door closes it sounds like a tin cup, and the ride is not that great, and defiently underpowered. I have a TL, and we have a MDX and RSX in the family to. None of them come near to "luxury status" The only luxury Acura has is the RL.

Acura defiently need to improve their leather seating surface. Even in a 45k MDX the leather is shit.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The TSX IS an "Entry Level Luxury Sedan!!!" That's what ALL of the mags label it as.

Heated seats, Heated Rear views, Navigation, Leather Interior, Power Everything, Moonroof.

All except Nav comes straight from the factory. The only one on the list that is an option is Nav. Manual windows...not an option! Roof that doesn't open....not an option! Seats without heaters....not an option, Cloth interior....not an option
Old 12-12-2006, 04:13 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

i agree with you. i think acura in general is "entry level luxury"

it's just not quite there yet. they could do a few minor things to put it there though. for me it would be improving the leather quality. improving the interior noise reduction, and using things like real wood. i'm not saying these things are all important to me in a car, but they are pretty much imperatives for me to consider it luxury. i'd also like to see a more independent platform for the acuras vs hondas.
I agree, and I think Acura is doing better at extending into real luxury status with the RL and new MDX, along with eliminating the RSX (a great car, my dad has one, but it doesn't help the image). The TSX as the entry vehicle could do a little more to distinguis itself from the Accord. The TL as the mainstay mid-lux and the RL as a real competitor in the true luxury category (granted, the lower end when "luxury" includes 7-series BMWs and M-B S-series running in the $70's to $90's). The connotation of luxury seems to be a combination of materials, brand name, price (=exclusivity), performance, ride, gadgets, and gotta-have-it. Seems like Acura is working on more and more of those levels.

That said, I like the fact that the TSX is entry-lux, really. I specifically didn't want to show up at the office in a BMW or Mercedes -- not the message I want to send.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Hailing from the 3-0-5

Originally Posted by dnd2984
We just got a 06 TSX and all the features are really cool, way more than the BMW 3. BUT when the door closes it sounds like a tin cup, and the ride is not that great, and defiently underpowered. I have a TL, and we have a MDX and RSX in the family to. None of them come near to "luxury status" The only luxury Acura has is the RL.

Acura defiently need to improve their leather seating surface. Even in a 45k MDX the leather is shit.
I agree! That being said, Acuras or Hondas in general have less technological glitches than the major German players. For eg, VW/Audi are notorious for power window failures, BMW for their O2 sensors and general electrics, and Mercedes for their general electrics. We have 3 Mercs in the family (between '04-'06) and little things just keep popping up! We also have an '05 MDX and my '06 TSX and no major annoyances other than the TSX "seat squeak". That being said, the Mercs do feel much more solid and refined than our Acuras in general.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Instructor

I agree! I agree! Wait.............What the hell was the original qestion? The TSX is a nice car and most of us here think so or we wouldn't have bought one! Everyone has opinions about their cars and since there is more than one person posting on these boards you will get many opinions. If it is a luxuray car to some people then woo hoo for them. Sport Sedan to others, that's cool too. I just like my car and I'm happy I traded in my Durango!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Racer

also according to this link from your precious wiki , it's entry-level luxury...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_TSX

and according to Car & Driver from Top 10 list on Wiki it's a...

Sports Sedan - Acura TSX

where

Luxury Sport Sedan - BMW 3-Series

as someone of you mentioned it's a subjective view. For some who owned more expensive cars this may not be as luxury as you hoped/thought, but to us who upgraded from old junky cars this is real luxury on a budget.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Racer

a hershey bar is a luxury. but really, godiva is luxury chocolate.
I would take hershey bar over godiva that to me always tasted disgustingly sweet! I guess now it makes sense why I went with Acura over BMW
Old 12-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by klas
I would take hershey bar over godiva that to me always tasted disgustingly sweet! I guess now it makes sense why I went with Acura over BMW
that's fine, but it doesn't change the classification that's basically industry standards.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Chaplain on call

Question Hondas imports

Originally Posted by L1StarTSX
worst thread ever. Whats next, Are Hondas still Imports even though they are made in the states?

Good question! And don't forget...If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it, did it really make a sound?

Also, does the little light in the fridge really go out when you close the door?

Is "I think, therefore I am" a true statement?

All seriousness, I mean kidding, aside, your question is not outlandish. Consider, what is an import? Isn't it something that is "imported" to a place and necessarily "exported" from a place? If a car is made here, is it truly an "import"?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Racer

that's fine, but it doesn't change the classification that's basically industry standards.
I could care less for industry standards... I consider luxury also involves high reliabilty. As I don't have a luxury of extra time to waste on car repairs and that's what most "luxury" car makers are about (BMW, Audi, MB...) To me there 2 luxury car makers Lexus & Acura.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
if anyone tells me that their bmw 3.18 or the loaner MB 230 is a luxury car
i'd laugh at them uncontrollably.........
Old 12-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Racer

btw this article says that TL/TSX are UPSCALE/LARGE CARS and NOT Luxury. So, guess the term "Upscale" fits TSX perfectly.

Also, it mentiones that TSX/TL are the most reliable cars

http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.as...tentid=4023544
Old 12-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
(Holy thread revival, Batman; in answer to this post)

According to Consumer Reports' current use car ratings, the TSX and TL are considered "upscale sedans" and the RL is a "luxury car." Oddly, only the RSX is classed "sports/sporty car" while I think many feel the TSX is just as sporty. YMMV.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Instructor

definitely not luxury
Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
to me it is luxury compared to my husband's mitsubishi truck
Old 12-05-2007, 01:25 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,510 Likes on 1,178 Posts
Luxury Test for TSX/TL:
1. Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort. PASS
2. Something expensive or hard to obtain. FAIL
3. Sumptuous living or surroundings: lives in luxury. PASS w/ a B-

I think the TSX/TL fails the luxury test #2 for the being expensive and hard to obtain. You have to pay more for a rare item you don't really need but want to fall in the luxury category. You can now get every feature (standard/aftermarket) from Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Ford/GM/VW you have standard on the near-luxury TSX/TL.

Price is keeping the TSX from the luxury name plate. Acura is letting the common people afford their products.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
WHO CARES, why are you guys so insecure? The car is fun to drive, easy to own, nice to commute in. Luxury or lack thereof, is a moot point for me.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
WHO CARES, why are you guys so insecure? The car is fun to drive, easy to own, nice to commute in. Luxury or lack thereof, is a moot point for me.
why are you so insecure and blurt out WHO Cares when people talk about TSX?

Apparently people care that's why there are 3 pgs of discussion.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Instructor

I think its more luxury than the last three cars I have driven and owned, but that's because one was a Corrolla, one an 87 prelude, and the other a Jeep Liberty.
I have had various friends that own MB and are surprised that it looks and feels exactly the same as there car when they sit inside.
I think its one of the best luxury cars for the price and that makes me happy!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dnd2984

I dunno what you had been driving before, but I must have completely different standards. My doors have a nice solid thunk when I close them, they sound good to me.

Being 19 the car is pretty damn luxurious to me, much more so then my old CL (and even that was pretty decent), and my parents older STS etc.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kyotousa

Apparently people care that's why there are 3 pgs of discussion.
No shit sherlock. That's why I'm trying to end the madness.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
No shit sherlock. That's why I'm trying to end the madness.
Are you insecure to find out about the truth or what? Why is it a madness anyway, this is a forum people can discuss whatever they want to discuss
Old 12-05-2007, 04:42 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
I thought luxury cars were Bentley and Rolls Royce?

Too subjective. When I was dirt poor in college, I thought a new Civic was luxury.
Bentley and Rolls royce? that's not luxury car, thats baller's car.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by klas
I could care less for industry standards... I consider luxury also involves high reliabilty. As I don't have a luxury of extra time to waste on car repairs and that's what most "luxury" car makers are about (BMW, Audi, MB...) To me there 2 luxury car makers Lexus & Acura.
Are you that guy from Shallow Hal?...that's the best disease ever.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kyotousa
Are you insecure to find out about the truth or what? Why is it a madness anyway, this is a forum people can discuss whatever they want to discuss
LOL, wow. So be it, I really don't have a problem or beef with you, despite some water under the bridge. I apologize for calling you Sherlock, really. You can continue to react to my posts, but I'll probably just ignore you if it persists if it continues to twist what I say. Insecure or not, I nor anyone else would appreciate you misconstruing what they had to say the way you have. Again, I have no beef with you, and my apologies for the Sherlock remark.

To the forum, you guys know that I would never imply that you guys stop discussing. I say "who cares" because you should feel confident that you are driving a nice car. How that somehow gets misconstrued into saying that people should say what they want, only kyotousa knows. Labels don't matter. Chick car, near luxury car, WHO CARES. Nice car, good value? YES. That's not an insecurity, but it comes from knowing first internally that you made a good decision. if the truth is that it isn't a luxury car, then so be it. No big deal.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
easy guys.

Consider that "luxury" is also a matter of perspective. Someone upgrading from a Civic would more likely consider the TSX a luxury car than someone who just traded in an IS300. Acura refers to itself as a luxury brand and tries to position itself with BMW, Mercedes, and Audi.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Haha, Earl you always crack me up. I'm with you, I couldn't care less what label is put on the car, I bought it for a unique combination of factors, just like most every other thoughtful buyer (taking into account the few "keep up with the Joneses" types).

Well, the revival was fallout from another thread about the 2009 model, someone said, "considering it's a luxury car," and I disagreed. It's an upscale car (what does that translate to, really? that's another thread), and I think it's sportier than CR gives it credit for.

For my money (pun intended), when you're in a luxury car, it's the kind of elite vehicle with nothing missing that you could ask for. Super quiet inside due to superior soundproofing? Of course. The latest and greatest in audio playback? Yep. Navigation system standard? You bet. (The only option with a classic luxury car is the color. No shit, I recall that in one carmaker's marketing.) Bluetooth integration? Yes. Built-in phone system to call roadside service? That, too. Real leather and wood trim? Soy-tainly. In a manner of speaking, a luxury car is a top-of-the-line model, there is nothing that's not in it; it's the lesser models that are lacking this feature or that feature.

No insult intended, but for young guys who've owned < 10 cars, or have driven for < 10 years, I'm sure upscale cars feel luxurious. And OF COURSE, you want to feel you rewarded yourself with a spiffy, swanky car -- nothing wrong with that. But if you've owned/driven one of the top drawer "luxury" marque vehicles, fit and finish and feature set of the TSX is just not there. Does this make it a disappointing car? Heck no. It's just IMHO a misappropriation to characterize the TSX as the bargain of the century for a "luxury car." Someone familiar with the real article will easily see the gap.

Is this a crisis issue that has to be settled? Egads, no. There's nothing wrong with getting into your TSX and thinking, "Ahhh, this is nice. I drive a classy car." I do every night.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:20 PM
'02 NBP TL-S

^^^^You could not have said it better ^^^^

And for my I don't think the TSX or my TL-S is a luxury car by any means. Both are upscale sport sedans.

My mom has a BMW 7-series.... that's luxury.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Safety Car

David, you hit it right on the head.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:55 PM
6MT or Death

And I completely dissagree. I've grown up surrounded by luxury cars. Personally I feel that luxury cars have a range from low to high.

When I looked at the TSX I saw a car that I found pleasing to the eye, and then was told it came with leather, bluetooth, heated this and that, power this and that, well I don't need to list everything...we know what our cars do. The point is that all of these luxuries are packed into the car standard, and it's not offered in a scaled down form. You can't buy this car without leather, or the HID lights, or any of the other things you find as upgrades on many other cars from luxury companies.

So I would consider the TSX to be on the lower side of the luxury market, but luxury none-the-less. This car is not an S500, and the S500 is not a Rolls Royce Phantom. There are many different levels to the luxury market, but in my perspective calling the TSX a non luxury car seems a bit ridiculous.

PS. As a disclaimer I'd like to say I bought the car for the looks, the driving experience, the options, the amazing reliability, and price. NOT because I saw it as a luxury car.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Banned

If this luxury car concern has any footing in social consciousness, then rest assured it looks like a luxury car from the outside. Nothing about the apearance says economy. It could be a V6 rwd for all anyone knows. The dual exhaust even hints at a v6. It has those unnecessary but fancy lights on the rear view mirrors and the chrome over the doors gives it an Audi-ish look. Fancy rims.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wackura
If this luxury car concern has any footing in social consciousness, then rest assured it looks like a luxury car from the outside. Nothing about the apearance says economy. It could be a V6 rwd for all anyone knows. The dual exhaust even hints at a v6. It has those unnecessary but fancy lights on the rear view mirrors and the chrome over the doors gives it an Audi-ish look. Fancy rims.

yah...something like that or else everyone should get the Accord V6.
So it's a fake.....
Old 12-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Intermediate

I consider my car a sport luxury vechile, sport on the outside and luxury in the inside.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:23 AM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by wackura
It's not a concern, it's a discussion. What does having a rwd car with a V6 have to do with luxury? And as for the rest of that comment...well it was about as useful as the beginning.

Your comments never cease to annoy me. They always sound so bitchy. I'm going to do the right thing and buy you a hose so you can get all the sand out of your vagina.

j/k. but not. sorry for the vulgarity but I prefer this to the over used "cheese with your whine" cliche.

Quick Reply: Is TSX a Luxury Car?