TSX Hit - Insurance Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TSX Hit - Insurance Question

Hi All -

Was hoping someone could give me some advice on this situation:

Driving home from work last Monday, this guy came into my lane and hit the front passenger side fender, door, wheel and tire of my 2006 TSX. The alignment is now off, the car dented & scratched. Cops came, did not write him a ticket, no police report done (just gave us both something with each other's insurance info, etc. The city of St. Louis does not write police reports when they do not give a ticket and there is no injury. However, he admitted fault to the officer in front of me).

I immediately upon returning home filed a claim with his insurance company (AAA). They have come out to look at my car, took my statement, etc. However, they can't authorize work until he gives his statement.

This guy supposedly works somewhere where he can not receive phone calls during work hours (8-5), so the insurance company can not get his statement. He refuses to return their messages. According to the claims person they have assigned it to another team that makes calls after hours to try and get his statement but he is ignoring them (obviously because he is at fault).

Any suggestions on how to get this expedited? It's been over a week and I'm still driving around a car that the alignment is off in (steering wheel is cockeyed by 1/4 turn) and I just want it fixed.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tell AAA to call from a random number...he wont expect it to be AAA
Old 08-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Racer

In cases like this. AAA is a reputable company. If your adjuster has some sense he would authorize the repairs even though the statement has not been made from the other party.

This happend to me a while ago (AAA also). They just went ahead and fixed it and they delt with the drama.

I think it just depends on what adjuster you get assigned too. Some are good and some are bad. And some dont even know wtf they are talking about.

I say you bitch to your adjuster. Have them pay. Then they go after his insurance company to get reimbursed. Its simple.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Just to clarify, AAA is his insurance company. GEICO is mine.

GEICO said I could pay my deductible and rental car charges out of pocket (I don't have RC coverage) and then they can go after him/AAA for them, but that normally takes 3-12 months to get reimbursed.

They suggested going this route first that way there's no out of pocket expense for me. Especially since the guy admitted fault to the cop.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ckiggins

GEICO said I could pay my deductible and rental car charges out of pocket (I don't have RC coverage) and then they can go after him/AAA for them, but that normally takes 3-12 months to get reimbursed.

They suggested going this route first that way there's no out of pocket expense for me. Especially since the guy admitted fault to the cop.
From my experience. I have been hit 4 times. 3 times were people that were insured with AAA.

One time I got rear ended, I called his insurance company (AAA). I told him it was his fault. The next day I took it to a certified AAA body shop and had the car back within 2 weeks.

I suggest you complain to AAA. All 4 times I been hit I NEVER called my insurance company (because it was not my fault). I have next had a problem getting a car fixed. If the person doesnt pick up the phone its not your fault, they should fix it no matter what and then resolve the liability issue later.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't they send someone to his work? Or even his home?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Just dial 1911

Unless you got the cop's name so he can give his statement as a witness, if you dont have a police report then admitting fault dosent matter.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by joerockt
Unless you got the cop's name so he can give his statement as a witness, if you dont have a police report then admitting fault dosent matter.
The cop's name and badge number is on the information card she gave to each of us. She said that if there were any questions, they could contact her.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Just dial 1911

So...uhh why do you have two accounts?
Old 08-16-2006, 07:13 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Much better to try and get it from the other party's insco first. If AAA doesn't get in touch with him in a reasonable amount of time just get angry on the phone -- they can subpoena him if it comes to that.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:13 AM
3rd Gear

Stay after the AAA adjuster but be courteous - if they blow you off, go to your company

But be patient - you shouldn't have to involve your company - unfortunately these things can take time

If you know any lawyers that would place a friendly free call to AAA to "light a fire" under the adjuster, call them now

Best of luck!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joerockt
So...uhh why do you have two accounts?
I never noticed that...I posted the original message yesterday from work and the other from home. I have them on auto-login, so I never realized I had two accounts!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gooner
Stay after the AAA adjuster but be courteous - if they blow you off, go to your company

But be patient - you shouldn't have to involve your company - unfortunately these things can take time

If you know any lawyers that would place a friendly free call to AAA to "light a fire" under the adjuster, call them now

Best of luck!
It has been 10 days and they have not been able to get ahold of him. Clearly he is dodging them and they should be able to see that he's doing it because it was HIS fault. If I filed a claim and it wasn't his fault, he'd be on the phone with them so fast denying it would make my head spin.

I plan to give them another day and then start getting crabby.