TSX dash computer AVG FUEL MPG display

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX dash computer AVG FUEL MPG display

I recently got a Black 2008 TSX, and I have been overly distracted by the dash information...

How accurate is the AVE FUEL MPG display? Is it similar to the instant mpg, just a crude guess added up, or is it does it actually reflect how much fuel has been used up, at least somewhat accurately? Can I trust this display, no matter of driving style and conditions?

I find that the display is effecting how I drive, I want to drive on the highway and avoid traffic so I can try to keep my mpg over 25 mpg... of course i could be adding extra miles.

I gotta just drive and learn to ignore the display most of the time Has anyone else been overly influenced by the AVE FUEL display?
Old 02-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Jon (PWP FTW)

Originally Posted by noki
I recently got a Black 2008 TSX, and I have been overly distracted by the dash information...

How accurate is the AVE FUEL MPG display? Is it similar to the instant mpg, just a crude guess added up, or is it does it actually reflect how much fuel has been used up, at least somewhat accurately? Can I trust this display, no matter of driving style and conditions?

I find that the display is effecting how I drive, I want to drive on the highway and avoid traffic so I can try to keep my mpg over 25 mpg... of course i could be adding extra miles.

I gotta just drive and learn to ignore the display most of the time Has anyone else been overly influenced by the AVE FUEL display?

if you press the info button a few times. you can get that avg mpg display to disappear. then you won't know whats going on
Old 02-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I've found my AVE FUEL MPG reading to be consistently 1.5 MPG higher than my oown calcs at the end of each tank, so I guess you could say it's pretty accurate. It also affects the way I drive.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Many have found the AVE FUEL MPG to read from 0.5-1.5 high. Forgive the pun, but "your mileage may vary".

I ignore it most of the time, but the instantaneous gauge lets you know how you're doing all the time. It's possible to use it as a tool to drive slightly more conservatively, and get better overall mileage.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Hybrid

Originally Posted by Sock
I've found my AVE FUEL MPG reading to be consistently 1.5 MPG higher than my oown calcs at the end of each tank, so I guess you could say it's pretty accurate. It also affects the way I drive.
I've been wondering if anyone else has noticed how inaccurate the TSX trip computer really is.

Sock, you report consistent 1.5 mpg as accurate. But I've been checking and recording both fuel mileage readings for the trip comp and manually since day one (July '03) and at best have found a much wider variation.

I've seen differences as small as 5% and as wide as 24% (rare). The point is I've always wondered how valid the fuel mileage numbers most report here as "accurate" really are (based on trip comp)?

BTW, these are the numbers are at fill up, not instantaneous.