TSX Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:54 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Brakes

I just test drove speed TSX at the Keys acura in van nuys and what suprised me was that he brakes were not as firm as i had expected. i have driven a mazda6 and it had a much firmer brake pedal. was it this particular car that had soft brake pedal or are all TSX's have soft-ish brake pedal feel. ley me know...thanx
Old 12-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by supermuku
I just test drove speed TSX at the Keys acura in van nuys and what suprised me was that he brakes were not as firm as i had expected. i have driven a mazda6 and it had a much firmer brake pedal. was it this particular car that had soft brake pedal or are all TSX's have soft-ish brake pedal feel. ley me know...thanx

I don't have this problem with my car. Funny, I feel my brakes are kind of sticky though. I mean they feel more on/off and less brake feel.

Is this just me??? Maybe I need my car looked at...
Old 12-30-2004, 01:06 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
I agree with the brake issue - had the same experience when I tested the Mazda6 before the TSX. The brakes have much better 'feel' on the 6, however that didn't prevent me from still choosing the TSX after considering a host of factors.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:22 AM
nothing but acura

Honda and Acura use a specific brake pad matterial that reduces the amount of brake dust that collects on the wheels to a very large degree. Using this material both decreases the strength and feel of the brakes. They should make some sort of option for whether or not you want really strong brakes with lots of dust, or the ones they put on right now, but it has been this way with honda products for the last 10 years.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Considering that brake pads need to be replaced regularly, you can just bring your mechanic the brake pads you want installed if this concerns you.

I found the brakes to be as linear and easily modulated as every other Honda product I've ever driven and I like it better than the Mazda 6 (of course, this could also be due to my tendency to brake harder earlier in the braking and slowly reduce pressure as I lose speed).
Old 12-30-2004, 09:12 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

I think the TSX has some of the best brakes I've ever felt, now my car was purchased cert. used with 6400mi on the clock, but d@mn our car brakes like NOW! I love the TSX brakes much-much better then the Mazda6 5-door we drove.

How many miles did your tester have on it?
Old 12-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

The Mazda 6 brakes/rotors have serious defects/problems. There is a huge issue currently going on where many are prematurely warping due to unknown problems.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Got Milk???

i wouldnt say tsx brakes are great, but they're decent. just drove for a trip to the mountains with my parent's BMW X5 , now those brakes are SWEEEEEEEEEET.... only wish i can fit those brakes onto my tsx

oh by the way, yes my brakes are kinda soft, been doing that since i picked it up at acura of pasadena
Old 12-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Instructor

if you get better tires, the car will brake much better. the brakes are just fine in this car.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:33 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by supermuku
OT: I have a fairly unpleasent experience with that dealer. I bought my TSX there and I have the fogs installed at time of purchase. The bumper practically fell off a few days later when I was driving on the highway! It was clearly caused by the dealer, but he denied all responsibility and made no real attempt to address the issue (which wound up getting repaired as a warranty claim by another dealer). Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:35 PM
10th Gear

Warped rotors

Every 4000 miles the rotors warp on my TSX. Has anyone had this problem?
Old 12-30-2004, 05:49 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by Bizzenn
Every 4000 miles the rotors warp on my TSX. Has anyone had this problem?

Are you having the rotors tunered to remove the warping?
This is only going to accelerate the warping.

Most car mfg. actually cast their own rotors in house, even Honda, as such you may just have gotten a bad casting for your rotors.

A sure fire fix for this should be a new set of rotors--a quality set of aftermarket rotors may even be better then stock in your case. While you're at it you may even want to swap in a nice set of new pads. Satified Pro and Hawk both make some affordable pads that I really like.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:52 PM
10th Gear

They have been turned. And exactly 4000 miles later it warps again. Mabe this time they will replace them. And correct me if im wrong but doesn't the brakes have a 12 month warranty from acura?
Old 12-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Registered AssHat

They have been turned. And exactly 4000 miles later it warps again. Mabe this time they will replace them. And correct me if im wrong but doesn't the brakes have a 12 month warranty from acura?
Are you glazing (break-in) them properly? Doing lots of hard braking to a standstill? If so, the rotors aren't warping, but you're leaving brake pad deposits on the discs causing vibration through the pedal.

I went 14K miles on mine (before I sold it) with no vibration in the brakes. And that's with hard 100 mph to 5 mph stops on a weekly basis.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:05 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
Are you glazing (break-in) them properly? Doing lots of hard braking to a standstill? If so, the rotors aren't warping, but you're leaving brake pad deposits on the discs causing vibration through the pedal.

I went 14K miles on mine (before I sold it) with no vibration in the brakes. And that's with hard 100 mph to 5 mph stops on a weekly basis.
So your saying I should do a high speed stop to get rid of the pad deposits?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:17 PM
10th Gear

So your saying I should do a high speed stop to get rid of the pad deposits?

Nevermind my last statement I read into it wrong
Old 12-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Instructor

undefinedWarped rotors on a new car......already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have plans to sell my 02 RSX-S and purchase a TSX but all of these issues are driving me crazy. Are we sure we are all talking Acura here?????? i.e Honda.......i.e. reliability.......i.e. trouble free!!!!!..I haven't had any problems with my RSX other than one small rattle.....maybe the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:04 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by Chompin
undefinedWarped rotors on a new car......already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have plans to sell my 02 RSX-S and purchase a TSX but all of these issues are driving me crazy. Are we sure we are all talking Acura here?????? i.e Honda.......i.e. reliability.......i.e. trouble free!!!!!..I haven't had any problems with my RSX other than one small rattle.....maybe the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I think this is the exception not the rule, mine are fine.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:11 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MrChad
I think this is the exception not the rule, mine are fine.

Getting a tsx is safe. Its been an excellent car. This is the only problem I have had with the exception of a bad door stop. I will say this though, I have had 3 hyundais that have been my best cars and most trouble free cars owned.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:34 PM
Intermediate

The TSX is a typical Honda product... very nice & reliable...
The brake problem discussed here is only an annoyance [pulsing/spongy pedal] and the brakes work perfectly... [mine does it too]
But there is a great deal of customization possible with Honda/Acura products because there are so many manufacturers [Japan & USA & Europe & even Australia] building hi-performance/racing parts so it's very easy to upgrade any part of the car whether you're satisfied or not...
I'm looking at upgrading my brakes right now... probably will try Axxix Ultimate or Hawk HPS pads and if not satisfied with that, I will go with a Brembo 13" brake upgrade kit... I will also upgrade the suspension with lowering springs/shocks or coil-overs... not sure which yet...
Good luck...
Old 12-30-2004, 11:39 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chompin

I have 25,000km on my TSX and no warped rotors.

By the way, there is lots of info on this problem if you want to try a search.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:47 PM
Git er Done!!

I was very dissappointed with the brakes on the TSX. My brakes went to garbage in 14k miles. My Integra brakes held up longer then that and I drove that car a lot harder.

Acura wouldn't do anything for me under warranty without a fight. They did throw on a set of new front rotors, but that did not fix the problem. So I ordered a full set of EBC GreenStuff pads for all four corners from TireRack. And after I broke them in and bedded the pads in, the car stops amazingly now. The brake pedal feel improved and the application of the brakes is much more linear. For the price, it's cheap safety in my book. About 60 bucks for the front and about 40 for the rear. Oh, also the VSA works much better now to help the car rotate around corners, because the back brakes can actually help out better because of the high coefficent of friction at 0.46 compared to the stock pads of around 0.32. These pads will also hold that friction to 1000 degrees F.

During the initial break in process the pads were very noisey. They squealed all the time during braking. These pads came with a break in material that was on the pad. After about 200-300 miles I bedded them in. For those who don't know what that is, it's when you do 5-6 60-5mph stops without engaging the ABS. That gets the pads so hot that the pad material embeds on the surface of the rotor. After that the squealing went away and the stopping power was great. I actually had to bed them in twice because the first time I didn't do it hard enough. So five or six 80-5mph stops did the trick . During that process when I came to stop smoke was pooring out of my front wheels over the front of the car . It was like I had the e-brake up and was doing a burnout. But that fixed it and they work great now.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:29 AM
Instructor

I second the opinion the EBC green pads solves the problem.
They have strong initial bite that gives you confidence, good modulation,
and don't fade. I'm really pleased with
the improvement. I did have some noise when the pads were new
in really cold weather, like 15-20 degrees, but not yet this winter.

I wonder how the Hawk compares if anyone has run hawk and ebc back
to back ?

At about 22k miles, they are worn 50%, OE pads are ceramic and last longer
so watch your pad wear with EBC. Not at issue for me, 45K out of pads
is fine if they work. There's a pretty big wear ridge showing on the inside of my
rotors but not the outside. I figure next brake change next year, I will
do the slotted iRotors ( not drilled ).

On the rotor runout, I haven't had any problem. It may be that I torque
my wheels and don't let any shop put an air gun on them.
I Torgue them up at 10ft-lb steps to 75 ft-lb. I've had the problem
on other cars that was fixed fine by resurfacing.

Originally Posted by 04Carbon6
I was very dissappointed with the brakes on the TSX. My brakes went to garbage in 14k miles. My Integra brakes held up longer then that and I drove that car a lot harder.

Acura wouldn't do anything for me under warranty without a fight. They did throw on a set of new front rotors, but that did not fix the problem. So I ordered a full set of EBC GreenStuff pads for all four corners from TireRack. And after I broke them in and bedded the pads in, the car stops amazingly now. The brake pedal feel improved and the application of the brakes is much more linear. For the price, it's cheap safety in my book. About 60 bucks for the front and about 40 for the rear. Oh, also the VSA works much better now to help the car rotate around corners, because the back brakes can actually help out better because of the high coefficent of friction at 0.46 compared to the stock pads of around 0.32. These pads will also hold that friction to 1000 degrees F.

During the initial break in process the pads were very noisey. They squealed all the time during braking. These pads came with a break in material that was on the pad. After about 200-300 miles I bedded them in. For those who don't know what that is, it's when you do 5-6 60-5mph stops without engaging the ABS. That gets the pads so hot that the pad material embeds on the surface of the rotor. After that the squealing went away and the stopping power was great. I actually had to bed them in twice because the first time I didn't do it hard enough. So five or six 80-5mph stops did the trick . During that process when I came to stop smoke was pooring out of my front wheels over the front of the car . It was like I had the e-brake up and was doing a burnout. But that fixed it and they work great now.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:45 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Well I've had my AXXIS Ultimate brake pads on for a few days now and they are great... nice consistent bite cold or hot... no fade... no more spongy pedal...
I did not have the rotors resurfaced... I figured these pads are abrasive enough that they'll take off any coating left by the OE pads...
Of course I had to "cook" them [bedding procedure] which didn't take much time...
I just did 5 medium pressure stops from 60 to 10mph followed by 5 hard stops from 60 to 10mph... then let rest for 2 hours or overnight if possible...
The next morning they were exhibiting the behaviour described above...
Wish I had done it earlier...
The Ultimates are a blend of kevlar, ceramic & metal...
Old 01-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear you two guys got good results out of breaking them in right.

I'm more and more tempted to believe that the state of your rotors are revealing as to what kind of driver one is.