tsx or altima se-r

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tsx or altima se-r

Love the tsx but hate it has no power. Which do you think is better and why?
Old 01-24-2009, 11:00 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am not sure if its fair to compare the two but...

The TSX is the more luxo of the two and gets better fuel if its going to be your DD. I like the interior (better quality, more features) of the tsx better as well. The acrua will prob hold its value a bit better as well.

With that said my vote goes to the SER. It has a lot of nice features that make it liveable if it happens to be your DD. It also has a good amount of power (lot of tourque steer too though), looks sporty (imo), and is fairly rare. The altima is also bigger, faster, and more "fun" (lsd, more power, etc).

Really depends on what is more important to you.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Unregistered User

^ I double most of what was said. TSX sure is more comfy, but slower. SE-R is faster but remember that 275 BHP is an excess for a FWD car. I personally would get something with RWD or AWD if I wanted to go fast. The new TL-S has AWD, MT, 300HP but it is pricey and hopelessly ugly. I would suggest WRX or BMW 330i/335i or better yet G37 or IS350
Old 01-25-2009, 03:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
My buddy has a SE-R and he loves it. it is quicker than the TSX but I like the TSX body because what you can make it look like.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Racer

The new TL-S has AWD, MT, 300HP but it is pricey and hopelessly ugly. I would suggest WRX or BMW 330i/335i or better yet G37 or IS350
[/QUOTE]

These cars (with the exception of the WRX) are in a completely different price category. I doubt this person is cross shopping these cars simply due to that factor. We know how much much you love the beemer, and we would all love some more power, but it is irrelevant in this thread. Most would be driving different cars in life if money was no object. You know some stuff about cars and do say some good things at times... and then others it seems you post just to post. We all have different opinions on things and that keeps the forum interesting, but this person is asking a pretty direct question and your answer comes from Guam.

That being said I agree with you (being that you agree with Red@8.) My vote would go for the TSX. Higher quality materials, and the car is classier looking IMO. The car feels quicker than the numbers it puts out and will hold value better. Interior space is severly limited compared to the Altima though and that may play a part in any decision made. Either way not a bad way to go.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:52 PM
i-vtec soo good

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by onebadtsx
Love the tsx but hate it has no power. Which do you think is better and why?
I dont know about no power, the 2.4 has just enough imo, pretty balanced car that doesn't overwhelm the driver. I dont see many Altima Se R's around, but when i do i stare because they are the thugged-out version of a family car whereas the TSX is the Don Juan version of another family car.

So i say TSX for me, i really dislike torque steer even though those VQ v6's are pretty lovely though...
Old 01-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Ex-King of Pasadena

power --> Altima

Feel --> Tsx.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would even say that the Altima 4cyl feels a lot stronger (numbers aside) in torque than the TSX. I still think the TSX (Gen1) is nicer looking than the Altima though.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by carmagnut
These cars (with the exception of the WRX) are in a completely different price category. I doubt this person is cross shopping these cars simply due to that factor. We know how much much you love the beemer, and we would all love some more power, but it is irrelevant in this thread. Most would be driving different cars in life if money was no object. You know some stuff about cars and do say some good things at times... and then others it seems you post just to post. We all have different opinions on things and that keeps the forum interesting, but this person is asking a pretty direct question and your answer comes from Guam.

That being said I agree with you (being that you agree with Red@8.) My vote would go for the TSX. Higher quality materials, and the car is classier looking IMO. The car feels quicker than the numbers it puts out and will hold value better. Interior space is severly limited compared to the Altima though and that may play a part in any decision made. Either way not a bad way to go.[/quote]

Yea, I guess I should have thought of that first
Old 01-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb i know what you mean i traded in 07 wrx for tsx

its really up to what you want. i wanted more of a lux feel and though i miss the torque, i REALLY thought i would have a lot of regrets after trading in the wrx but man the ride on the tsx the feel, and i just got a great deal. my @ss feels pampered in the tsx. i wouldn't trade in the tsx for even a sti (any year sti) as of now. tsx ftw but hey its just my opinion. tsx will get you more kudos points with the majority of the public when put up against the nissan. just know tsx shouldn't be up for racing anyone. its a car to cruise in not speed car. I was personally sick of being in the spoiled highschool kid fast and the furious catagory so i upgraded. i saw plenty of 16 yr olds with wrx's, it was an eyesore. and U KNO there will be plenty of young morons with that hyundai genesis trying to race every car with a type s, R, or rice rocket logo. Get a 370z man...... o and tsx interior and standard features are the SH*T, ull def get more points with a girl in a tsx than a SE-R.

Last edited by cwhsu; 01-25-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by carmagnut

That being said I agree with you (being that you agree with Red@8.) My vote would go for the TSX. Higher quality materials, and the car is classier looking IMO. The car feels quicker than the numbers it puts out and will hold value better. Interior space is severly limited compared to the Altima though and that may play a part in any decision made. Either way not a bad way to go.
Thanks the other cars mentioned are out of my price range. I'm looking for a good commuter as I drive 40 miles combined. These two are in my finals. I like the power and rarity of the se-r but I like the look and feel of the TSX its a tough choice.

Last edited by onebadtsx; 01-25-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Instructor

yup yup

yeah man i mean the tsx is not lacking TQ at all man its 200+ NA haha you will feel it. of course there are just always better cars. but between the two choices tsx come out ontop of the nissan
Old 01-25-2009, 08:49 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My vote goes for the TSX.

I would rather have a smaller, little bit slower luxury car than a faster verison of the every-man-sedan. Both look nice, but the TSX looks luxurious and sporty at the same time, where as the SE-R looks mean and agressive.

Would you rather have every riced out Civic/Sentra chasing you, or people go Ohhh when you tell them you drive an Acura?

Depends if you want a sportier family sedan, or a entry-level luxury sedan...
If you like zipping around town, or blasting down the highway...
The argument will go back and forth for forever. Test drive them both, and whichever one feels like you then it will be the one.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Allen-
My vote goes for the TSX.

I would rather have a smaller, little bit slower luxury car than a faster verison of the every-man-sedan. Both look nice, but the TSX looks luxurious and sporty at the same time, where as the SE-R looks mean and agressive.

Would you rather have every riced out Civic/Sentra chasing you, or people go Ohhh when you tell them you drive an Acura?

Depends if you want a sportier family sedan, or a entry-level luxury sedan...
If you like zipping around town, or blasting down the highway...
The argument will go back and forth for forever. Test drive them both, and whichever one feels like you then it will be the one.
Yea I feel yah man thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Instructor

"There are no eurekas! in the SE-R. It offers a more traditional ride-versus-handling trade-off than magazine favs such as the Acura TSX, which seems to do better combining both."

From: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test
Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Instructor

See also: http://www.epinions.com/review/2005_...t_195028815492
Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I'd go with the TSX as well. The rarity of the SE-R is both a blessing and a curse. Its a novelty....until your first major repair. Rarity of model = rarity of parts, which = expense of parts and labor. The rarity of my buddy's Focus SVT wore off pretty quick once he had to pay for his first out of warranty repair. It might be a different story with the SE-R, but that's what you're going to find as a general rule with that type of car. And by that I mean the obscure performance model (ie, SVT models, real Honda Type R models, Mitsubishi Gallant VR models, etc)
Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by litesout
I'd go with the TSX as well. The rarity of the SE-R is both a blessing and a curse. Its a novelty....until your first major repair. Rarity of model = rarity of parts, which = expense of parts and labor. The rarity of my buddy's Focus SVT wore off pretty quick once he had to pay for his first out of warranty repair. It might be a different story with the SE-R, but that's what you're going to find as a general rule with that type of car. And by that I mean the obscure performance model (ie, SVT models, real Honda Type R models, Mitsubishi Gallant VR models, etc)
Well I'm not too thrilled about the possibility of having to replace the ac in the tsx. The SE-R is as reliable as the TSX. The SE-R is a Altima with body kit, rims, exhaust, suspension.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

The TSX on looks alone wins my vote. The TSX is a way better looking car. It may not be fast but I wouldn't call it slow. If you need speed then I can understand the Altima (I would rather have v6 Accord).
Old 01-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Oliver!!!

Well I'm not too thrilled about the possibility of having to replace the ac in the tsx. The SE-R is as reliable as the TSX. The SE-R is a Altima with body kit, rims, exhaust, suspension.
As long as you stay away from the early production 04s, I think you'll be okay with the a/c. None of the other years seem to be nearly as prone to a/c issues as those.

I thought the SE-R had a souped up engine in too. Does it have the same V6 as the other off the shelf Altimas?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by litesout
As long as you stay away from the early production 04s, I think you'll be okay with the a/c. None of the other years seem to be nearly as prone to a/c issues as those.

I thought the SE-R had a souped up engine in too. Does it have the same V6 as the other off the shelf Altimas?
Thanks and yes per my research the SE-R has the same VQ35DE as the Maxima, 350z...etc
Old 01-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Unregistered User

SE-R has a 275 HP V6, tuned from ~260? HP. I will just repeat myself,man. FWD + that much power is not a very sensible combination. If you really want power and comfort and dont have much money to throw around, go with a used G35 or BMW 330i, otherwise go with TSX. I also want to double the part about repairs. Trust me, finding a needed part at a junk yard is hard for TSX and its even harder (if possible) for SE-R. Dealers will also rip u off
Old 01-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Advanced

I had an 03 Maxima 6 MTthat has the same engine as the altima ser and I switched to the tsx. I would take a honda over nissan pretty much anytime, hondas hold their value much better, nissans value drops like a rock, hondas a fuel efficient while also giving great performance, nissans have more torque and take more gas. The 6 speed SER is rare and as such some parts are hard to find, an example is the transmission, I needed one for my maxima (they're almost the same) but there were only a handful around. Don't get me wrong, the cars are very fun to drive, but maintenance costs and rapid depreciation make them worst of an investment.

If you really want a nissan product, I'd suggest the g35 (possibly awd)-you can probably get one for almost the same price, but I'd say honda just b/c of nissan's depreciation.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:14 PM
is out, so the

If I can remember correctly, the Altima and SE-R both have the same VQ35 engine. Same engine that is in the Maxima, Murano, and 350Z. I believe it is the same engine in the 03-06 G35, FX35, and M35, but its slightly altered.

The stock V6 02-06 Altima made 250HP. The SE-R was a 05-06 model only, and because of a free(er) flowing exhaust and slightly tweaked intake only produced 260HP. 10 over the stock Altima, but you get stiffer suspension, sport seats, revised front/rear bumper, few interior standard feaures, 18" wheels, etc. etc.

There is only one SE-R in my city, and it is red. It is also driven by a girl. They are very nice looking cars indeed, but it will always be an Altima. Take away the wheels, and it looks like a regular Altima. I was pumping gas into my TL-S one day, and she pulled up next to me. She eyed my car, and I eyed hers.

The SE-R is quick, but its not class leading fast anymore. A V6 Camry gets to 60 .2 seconds quicker. Not that it matters much, but I just couldn't justifiying spending extra cash to get the SE-R. The TSX is not slow, either. It's definitely not fast, but it gets out of its own way if ever needed.

Think about this:

1) How many times a day do you need, I repeat, NEED to press the pedal all the way down to the floor?

2) How many times a day do you want, I repeat, WANT to press the pedal all the way down to the floor?

If you experience more of #2, get the Altima. Even with the TSX's added pro's, (luxury features, luxury status, luxury/sport look) everything it has over the Altima won't matter because you will never be satisfied with the TSX's performance.

If you experience more of #1, the TSX will suit you. It is fun car to drive fast, and you don't need a quick car to suit your needs, so the TSX's minor deduction in the performance area will not bother you.

I love my TL-S. I prefer a more spirited drive in the city versus 0-60's. Although sometimes, I give it alot of gas just because I like to hear the VTEC scream! Also, my TL-S is extremely stable at high speeds. It really likes to cruise around 90-110. The TSX can more than handle a spirited ride around town. I imagine it is also stable at high speeds.

As for cost to own, I think they will be about the same either way. There is nothing extremely wild about the SE-R over the regular Altima, so it will be pretty dependable. Cost to repair, I imagine will be about equal. The Premium on Acura parts because it is a Luxury brand, balances out for the added $ for "performance" parts because it is a SE-R.

Besides have you ever driven a Acura?

VTEC ROCKS!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Unregistered User

VTEC
ROCKS!

+1000

That says it all...
Old 01-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Instructor

If I can remember correctly, the Altima and SE-R both have the same VQ35 engine. Same engine that is in the Maxima, Murano, and 350Z. I believe it is the same engine in the 03-06 G35, FX35, and M35, but its slightly altered.

The stock V6 02-06 Altima made 250HP. The SE-R was a 05-06 model only, and because of a free(er) flowing exhaust and slightly tweaked intake only produced 260HP. 10 over the stock Altima, but you get stiffer suspension, sport seats, revised front/rear bumper, few interior standard feaures, 18" wheels, etc. etc.

There is only one SE-R in my city, and it is red. It is also driven by a girl. They are very nice looking cars indeed, but it will always be an Altima. Take away the wheels, and it looks like a regular Altima. I was pumping gas into my TL-S one day, and she pulled up next to me. She eyed my car, and I eyed hers.

The SE-R is quick, but its not class leading fast anymore. A V6 Camry gets to 60 .2 seconds quicker. Not that it matters much, but I just couldn't justifiying spending extra cash to get the SE-R. The TSX is not slow, either. It's definitely not fast, but it gets out of its own way if ever needed.

Think about this:

1) How many times a day do you need, I repeat, NEED to press the pedal all the way down to the floor?

2) How many times a day do you want, I repeat, WANT to press the pedal all the way down to the floor?

If you experience more of #2, get the Altima. Even with the TSX's added pro's, (luxury features, luxury status, luxury/sport look) everything it has over the Altima won't matter because you will never be satisfied with the TSX's performance.

If you experience more of #1, the TSX will suit you. It is fun car to drive fast, and you don't need a quick car to suit your needs, so the TSX's minor deduction in the performance area will not bother you.

I love my TL-S. I prefer a more spirited drive in the city versus 0-60's. Although sometimes, I give it alot of gas just because I like to hear the VTEC scream! Also, my TL-S is extremely stable at high speeds. It really likes to cruise around 90-110. The TSX can more than handle a spirited ride around town. I imagine it is also stable at high speeds.

As for cost to own, I think they will be about the same either way. There is nothing extremely wild about the SE-R over the regular Altima, so it will be pretty dependable. Cost to repair, I imagine will be about equal. The Premium on Acura parts because it is a Luxury brand, balances out for the added $ for "performance" parts because it is a SE-R.

VTEC ROCKS!
Thanks for the input. I commute about 40 miles a day and I do see your point. Yes I own a 04 MDX.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
damn you guys writing stories LOL!

But Allen thats a good point When you need and want.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Racer

Thanks for the input. I commute about 40 miles a day and I do see your point. Yes I own a 04 MDX.
My commute is the same and I love the TSX. It is a smooth ride, comes with many comfort features (heated seats are my fav), and does have enough grunt to get out of its own way (to quote someone else). Are there days that you may wish for more power...sure. But there is never a day I walk out to my car and I'm not proud of my purchase. I really do just enjoy driving it, especially on long trips. 4 hours to Rhode Island. No sweat. 6 to Lake Placid, NY. Didn't stop once to stretch. Boston..the list goes on. You cannot go wrong with the Acura. Really classy.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

i actually like both cars but in the end it comes down to the interior for me. i spend most of the time inside the car and the tsx interior is more luxurious/comfortable hands down. the exterior of the 1g tsx is pure sex, slick body style and not too much chrome. oh oh and can't forget about the v-tec!! hahaha
Old 01-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cwhsu
its really up to what you want. i wanted more of a lux feel and though i miss the torque, i REALLY thought i would have a lot of regrets after trading in the wrx but man the ride on the tsx the feel, and i just got a great deal. my @ss feels pampered in the tsx. i wouldn't trade in the tsx for even a sti (any year sti) as of now. tsx ftw but hey its just my opinion. tsx will get you more kudos points with the majority of the public when put up against the nissan. just know tsx shouldn't be up for racing anyone. its a car to cruise in not speed car. I was personally sick of being in the spoiled highschool kid fast and the furious catagory so i upgraded. i saw plenty of 16 yr olds with wrx's, it was an eyesore. and U KNO there will be plenty of young morons with that hyundai genesis trying to race every car with a type s, R, or rice rocket logo. Get a 370z man...... o and tsx interior and standard features are the SH*T, ull def get more points with a girl in a tsx than a SE-R.
So basically what you're saying is you bought a TSX for "kudos" from others and "points" from girls.
Sorry to break it to you, but you bought the wrong car if that's what you are trying to accomplish. You need to head over to the BMW dealership and trade in for a 335.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

VTEC ROCKS!
Too bad the cams switch over at an astronomical 6k rpm... which I hit maybe twice a year, in second gear and then I'm over the speed limit by then.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
*coughHondatacough*
Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=psteng19;10450285]
Too bad the cams switch over at an astronomical 6k rpm... which I hit maybe twice a year
Twice a year? That's it? That's the pleasure of the car... to watch the tach rev.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Unregistered User

dood, come on.... 6k rpms... TSX has K-series engine in it. It is more upgradeable than anything... Hondata comes here to help
Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 PM
is out, so the

Have you purchased anything yet?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=carmagnut;10450944]
Originally Posted by psteng19

Twice a year? That's it? That's the pleasure of the car... to watch the tach rev.
OK, a bit of an exaggeration, but honestly, you don't get to hit 6k on a regular basis.

And with Hondata, not everyone wants to risk voiding the warranty, or can afford 1 weeks downtime sending off their ECU for a reflash.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Oliver!!!

And Hondata doesn't do all years yet. No love the for my '08 (yet)
Old 01-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Instructor

I'm leaning more towards the TSX. I have test drove 3 all 6mt. I have yet to drive the SE-R. Maybe this weekend but I must drive to Atlanta to test drive one. We will see. I plan on purchasing a new vehicle by march.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Actually , there are some internal (and setup) differences between FFL VQ35DE motors and their FM counterparts. (FFL referencing the Maxima, Altima, Murano, Quest, I35 and FM referencing the 350Z, G35, M35 and FX35) The parts between each are NOT interchangeable at all.

...the 3G Altima V6 was initially rated at 240hp (so as to not trump the 02-03 Maxima which was rated at 255hp -- both non-SAEnet).

That's a copout. Same could be said for an Accord V6, which would also lay a serious hurt on the TSX in performance....something I've demonstrated to a couple of TSX owners.

True but you're comparing a last generation Altima V6 with a new generation Camry V6. The new Camry would get it's butt handed to it by the new Altima V6 AND would have its hands full with a 3G 5MT/6MT 3.5SE/SE-R. That said, an SE-R can be procured for much less $$$ than the current gen CV6.

Think about this:

Well stated and
Old 02-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Instructor

No not yet. I was considering a gs430 but gas would kill me. I have looked at the TL again but insurance is higher on the TL than the SE-R and an 04 GS430 . I'm test driving an Altima Se-r this weekend then I will make my decision. Thanks.

Quick Reply: tsx or altima se-r