Trouble finding Carbon Grey/Charcoal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:20 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble finding Carbon Grey/Charcoal?

Hey, I've been lurking for a while but haven't really had cause to post yet, since I'm not an owner. I've got a $500 deposit in to my local dealer to look for a car for me. I'm not in a huge rush, since (long story) I'm still waiting on my downpayment. Anyway, it's been almost two and a half weeks now, and in my most recent communication with my sales rep yesterday he said they're having difficulty locating a car spec'd as I want:

05 6-sp, navi, Carbon Grey/Charcoal, rear spoiler

Is that such a wacky combo? Does anyone have any idea why that is so hard to find? Also, is there a way to search dealer inventories myself to see if they're just dragging their feet to convince me to take one off the lot, or if they're being straight with me?

I'm really psyched - can't wait to get it, but I hope I'm not being jerked around.. Anyway, just looking for thoughts.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Cruisin'

I took delivery of my new TSX 10 days ago in Carbon Grey Pearl/quartz. Wanted Meteor silver. All the dealer had was CGP, and they had a lot of them. Where are you? I can tell you where you can find a lot of what you are looking for if you are on the east coast.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:47 AM
10th Gear

Lehigh Valley (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton) PA.. Dealer is Lehigh Valley Acura. And an edit to my previous post, by charcoal I mean the ebony (dark) leather.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Cruisin'

tucker, call Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA. They'll deal at $500 over invoice and they had a lot of carbon greys in both transmissions when I was there 10 days ago. Might be worth the drive. It was a 400 mile round trip for me, but worth it.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tucker973
Hey, I've been lurking for a while but haven't really had cause to post yet, since I'm not an owner. I've got a $500 deposit in to my local dealer to look for a car for me. I'm not in a huge rush, since (long story) I'm still waiting on my downpayment. Anyway, it's been almost two and a half weeks now, and in my most recent communication with my sales rep yesterday he said they're having difficulty locating a car spec'd as I want:

Is that such a wacky combo? Does anyone have any idea why that is so hard to find? Also, is there a way to search dealer inventories myself to see if they're just dragging their feet to convince me to take one off the lot, or if they're being straight with me?

I'm really psyched - can't wait to get it, but I hope I'm not being jerked around.. Anyway, just looking for thoughts.
Acura Carland in Duluth (Atlanta), GA has one liek you spec'd with ebony leather. Not close to you but it might help. At least they had this last week when they got me a Carbon Gray/Ebony/NO Navi/6Spd from Jacksonville, FL.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:31 AM
5th Gear

i got mine (6MT, navi, cg/black) from chevy chase acura, bethesda, md a month ago. they said the cg is of highest demand and the 6MT+navi combo is rare, so i guess in a way, it is true... try calling around diff dealerships to find out...
Old 07-20-2005, 11:18 AM
CG is the place to be...

Is that such a wacky combo?
Contrary to what you might assume from reading this forum, the 6MT is not all that "common." I don't know the exact numbers, but i believe that less than 25% (complete guess) of TSX's sold have the 6MT. Adding the Navi into the equation brings you to the rarest combo Acura sells. When i ordered my 6MT Navi, i was told that only 10% of TSX's sold were in that combo.

CG with ebony should not be hard to find at all as it is one of the most popular combos from my understanding and the rear spoiler is a dealer accessory, so that does not even factor in the equation.

hope that helps. good luck.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Advanced

That sux man, sorry to hear. I'm even more sorry b/c thats the car i got. I lucked out though b/c mine was in the showroom. It was right there waiting for me to take it.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Instructor

I put a deposit down this weekend on an '05/6MT/Navi TSX.. I wanted Arctic Blue but they said there was no way they'd get one... I then said Silver/Ebony or Carbon Grey/Ebony.... they were going to look on Monday... Monday morning I drove to work and saw so many Silver cars that I thought I'd hurl.. the one that stood out was a CG TSX... so I called and said Carbon Grey... they called me an hour ago to say they found one! I'll have it next week... CGP/Ebony...

The dealer I used was Acura of Auburn in Auburn, MA. The sales guy is Mark Rosa, great guy!

PM me if you want more info...

P.S. The rear spoiler is a dealer installed option, so they just have to locate a CGP/Ebony car for you, they'll put the spoiler on... it doesn't make it any easier or harder to find the car.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:36 PM
10th Gear

That's funny, they tried to get me to take the blue instead of the CGP.. We should have traded
Old 07-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Instructor

I was about to say . . .I was told there was an Arctic Blue/Ebony 6 Spd in PA. I told them I'd wait for CG
Old 07-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Acrtic Blue/Ebony/6SPD with NAV?! I was told there were none in MA/NH/CT/ME/RI/NY/NJ/PA.... grrrrrr!

All they said they could get a Blue/6/NON-Nav in CT in a couple weeks...
Old 07-21-2005, 08:46 AM
10th Gear

I'm really beginning to think these extended "dealer searches" are nothing more than an attempt to sell us something the dealer has on the lot - they don't want to make the hassle of trading cars between dealerships, and want to get stuff out of their inventory. I'm sure as soon as I tell them I'll be taking my deposit back and going to another dealer one will "miraculously turn up" somewhere.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:12 AM
VV "Precision Crafted" VV

I'm really beginning to think these extended "dealer searches" are nothing more than an attempt to sell us something the dealer has on the lot - they don't want to make the hassle of trading cars between dealerships, and want to get stuff out of their inventory. I'm sure as soon as I tell them I'll be taking my deposit back and going to another dealer one will "miraculously turn up" somewhere.

I agree. In fact, the Acura dealer I purchased my car from told me that they sometimes purposely "hide" the TSX's that are more in demand in their back lot or service parking lot in hopes of convincing a customer to buy one that isn't as popular that is on their sales floor. It is funny that when they fear that they may lose the sale that the salesman will say "let me check the back" and by some miracle, the car you want was there the whole time.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Instructor

I have an 05 CGP/Quartz 6MT with Navi that I waited 2 months for..

- g
Old 07-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the two posts above.

First off though, why are you guys putting down deposits on cars that the dealer may or may not be able to find for you? You aren't special ordering anything (like painted orange) and all that deposit is going to do for you is pressure you into buying a car from that dealer because at some point, you'll want your deposit to be worthwhile and consequently cave on what car you really want and take something that they are trying to unload on their lot. It's total BS for them to say that they need a deposit for a car that is mainstream... they will always be able to see it just like any other car if you were to backout.

Second, I'd start emailing dealers around you (even if you have no intention of buying the car from them) and see what they can do. You can pit dealers against each other for the combination of car that you want just as you can use it to negotiate a price. The threat of losing a sale to another Acura dealer is worse to them than losing it to another brand.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:34 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by fast1
I agree with the two posts above.

First off though, why are you guys putting down deposits on cars that the dealer may or may not be able to find for you?
The dealer wouldn't initiate a search without the deposit. As far as shopping around, I'll be in a much better position in a week or two when I actually have my downpayment ready.

I know I'll be able to get the car I want eventually - I was mostly just curious to see how much of the dealer telling me they're having a hard time finding it was BS and how much was true.. From the sounds of it, I guess I just happened to like a combo that's hard to find. Oh well, the longer I wait the more excited I'll be when I sit in the driver's seat!
Old 07-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Won't do a search without a deposit is a BS excuse! They log into their computer and can look at what is at all of the other dealers and what they have coming in on the trucks- I saw them do it when they were locating my car- takes less than a minute! It projects out at least a month (could be and probably is even longer!) and tells the dealer what color/configuration of cars it is getting. Dealers can somtimes even trade the cars on the trucks and forgo having to drive them individually to swap them. Additionally, some dealers actually post their lot inventory on the internet so you can browse on your own and attempt to find your combination. Cush Acura in San Diego is who I bought from and posts their inventory on the internet.

Also of note is that occasionally there are more cars out there that seem to show up that are not in the computer (I think they're extra cars that district managers have control over to shuttle to more productive dealers who can offload them quickly). I was waiting for my car (with absolutely no deposit down) when all of a sudden one of these popped up and due to the end of the month, I got a good deal on it.

I would never give them a deposit to do 1 min of work but to each his own. TSX has been out for over 2 years now... it's not like the new RL or an NSX where dealers need some good faith money so they can ensure you will follow through with the contract.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:05 AM
Instructor

Won't do a search without a deposit is a BS excuse! They log into their computer and can look at what is at all of the other dealers and what they have coming in on the trucks- I saw them do it when they were locating my car- takes less than a minute! It projects out at least a month (could be and probably is even longer!) and tells the dealer what color/configuration of cars it is getting. Dealers can somtimes even trade the cars on the trucks and forgo having to drive them individually to swap them.
Unfortunately even if a dealership is showing a car on the acura inventory system the dealerships use, when someone calls to try and trade for it it's not always available. Sometimes it has been sold that day or the dealership just flat out won't want to trade it... they'd rather keep it to try and sell themselves or have as a demo.

Additionally, some dealers actually post their lot inventory on the internet so you can browse on your own and attempt to find your combination. Cush Acura in San Diego is who I bought from and posts their inventory on the internet.
Same is true for their online inventories on their websites.... the cars listed on the site aren't always available....
Old 07-22-2005, 03:45 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
So I take it Carbon Grey is the number 1 selling color for the TSXer?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by calgary2800
So I take it Carbon Grey is the number 1 selling color for the TSXer?
No, it varies by areas... I actually think on this site, the TSX Owner db shows that White/Ebony is the most owned combo.

Up in New England we can't touch Arctic Blue Pearl... sometimes you find an Auto.. but no 6MT w/NAV....

Black, Silver, CBP seem to be the most common up here...
Old 07-22-2005, 07:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmbfan36_23
No, it varies by areas... I actually think on this site, the TSX Owner db shows that White/Ebony is the most owned combo.

Up in New England we can't touch Arctic Blue Pearl... sometimes you find an Auto.. but no 6MT w/NAV....

Black, Silver, CBP seem to be the most common up here...
White/Ebony isn't even an option in the states. I would love to know why though cause it is the combo I would have picked if they would have made it available instead of the woodgrain/parchment interior.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Asahi
White/Ebony isn't even an option in the states. I would love to know why though cause it is the combo I would have picked if they would have made it available instead of the woodgrain/parchment interior.
Sorry, I meant White <period>... I think I just assumed there was an ebony option :-)
Old 07-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Asahi
Acura Carland in Duluth (Atlanta), GA has one liek you spec'd with ebony leather. Not close to you but it might help. At least they had this last week when they got me a Carbon Gray/Ebony/NO Navi/6Spd from Jacksonville, FL.
eeer... the guy is from PA. I dont think they could do a dealer transfer outside each other's regions can they?
At any rate... carland is pretty firm on their price but wont budge much. I can probably get you a good deal if i went into there.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alin10123
eeer... the guy is from PA. I dont think they could do a dealer transfer outside each other's regions can they?
At any rate... carland is pretty firm on their price but wont budge much. I can probably get you a good deal if i went into there.

They gave me a very good deal. I'd suggest using internet quoting to get your pricing.

Not sure if his dealer can leave their region but the buyer certainly can.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:51 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Won't do a search without a deposit is a BS excuse!
Hoo boy, ain't that the truth. The real reason he said that is he wants to see if you're serious about actually buying one or if you're just one of the many, many dreamers that wander in, call him, etc.

I think your serious, and there are TWO of them about 12 miles from my house at:

www.nielloacura.com

Problem is, they have Quartz interiors.

I just got mine there for $500 over invoice (its an automatic no Navi though).

If you want to put together a deal there, I can tell you who to call and I can give the car a onceover before it gets loaded on a flatbed and shipped out to you.

PM me if ya want.

-Mirror
Old 07-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Disinformation Terminator

OK, I read it again and you want a spoiler too?

You're sunk man. Order an '06 and demand a discount.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheMirror
OK, I read it again and you want a spoiler too?

You're sunk man.
So what if he wants a spoiler? The spoiler is a dealer-installed option. TSX's ship in 4 configs:

AT/Nav
AT/Non-Nav
6MT/Nav
6MT/Non-Nav

The following are ALL dealer installed options. The dealer installs these once you buy the car:

A-Spec kit
A-Spec suspension
Body Kit/Skirts
Spoiler
Foglights
Mud Flaps
Trunk Tray
MP3 Player
Cassette Deck
Wheel Locks
etc.. etc.. etc..

Originally Posted by TheMirror
Order an '06 and demand a discount.
Good luck with that... it's my understanding that they do not deal that much when the TSX's first come out......
Old 07-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
My first choice of color was NBP and second one as CG.
But the dealer had neither except, silver, red, and ABP.
I had a 03 accord coupe in silver right before I purchased my TSX and 98 accord coupe in red before the 03 accord. Also TSX in red looked a little chicky. So I bought a ABP. It's a nice color but looks a little ricey. Wanted somthing classy like NBP and still feels jealous when I see someone that owns a NBP TSX...
Old 07-24-2005, 09:52 PM
3rd Gear

I'm 56 and just purchased my first Acura TSX, Carbon Grey, ebony interior, without nav for $26,300 OTD. I decided on the 5 sp auto - sorry guys - I'm tired of all that shifting and I 'd rather have my hand on my lady. I purchased it in Augusta Georgia. I love the car. Great price for a great car. They also threw in trunk liner, wheel locks and mud guards. Columbia and Charleston SC wanted a little higher price. My dealer also wanted me to finance with them at 4.5%
Old 07-25-2005, 01:56 PM
10th Gear

Ahh, the end of the month sure gets dealers running to do your bidding. Just got a call that they located it. Now it's time to get on my lawyer about that downpayment $$$$$

SO EXCITED!