Tree sap

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tree sap

My wife brought our new ABP TSX home tonight, covered in tree sap. She parked it at work under a tree, and it looks like the car was sprayed with a very fine mist of water; very smalll drops of the sap covering the car.
I spent two hours removing the sap from the paint, and a half hour removing it from the chrome. I used Meguiars Cleaner Wax on the paint and Turtle Wax Chrome Polish on the chrome. Tomorrow I'll clean the windows with a tar/bug/sap removing product I have.
So........ be careful where you park, boys and girls. This could happen to you!
Old 05-19-2005, 06:35 PM
7th Gear

Sap is THE WORST this time of year, it drives me nuts. My assigned parking space in my complex is right under a very drippy tree. My favorite is when there is sap AND pollen, so that there's a lovely sticky, powdery situation on my one-month-old car. But, I find that if you keep it washed, the sap comes off easily. But if you wait and let the sap build up for more than a week, it will never come off.

If I remember correctly, the major sap stopped falling around the end of July last year. So, only two more months of this, hopefully.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tsxylady
Sap is THE WORST this time of year, it drives me nuts. My assigned parking space in my complex is right under a very drippy tree. My favorite is when there is sap AND pollen, so that there's a lovely sticky, powdery situation on my one-month-old car. But, I find that if you keep it washed, the sap comes off easily. But if you wait and let the sap build up for more than a week, it will never come off.

If I remember correctly, the major sap stopped falling around the end of July last year. So, only two more months of this, hopefully.
It will come off with a clay bar.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Goldmember

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or I'd think the cheapest and easiest way to handle it would be get a car cover and just put it on everyday and take it off every day. And the sap should dry on top so you can just get a new $25 cover once a year.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by gabedabomb
It will come off with a clay bar.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Just for your info, isopropal alcohal will take tree sap off effortlessly -- even when it has hardend. It will strip wax though, so you'll want to re-wax that area.

Slats
Old 05-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by slats
Just for your info, isopropal alcohal will take tree sap off effortlessly -- even when it has hardend. It will strip wax though, so you'll want to re-wax that area.

Slats

Terrific tip! Thanks.

BTW, when my wife came home the next day, I was prepared to take the sap off the windows with tree/bug/sap remover. When she pulled into the garage I noticed there was no sap on the windshield. I asked her how she got it off and she replied, "I used washer fluid and the wipers." I felt like an idiot as I told her I had a"special product" that would removed sap from the windows.
Why do wives do that to us? ;o)
Old 05-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Form Follows Function

Formulations of windshield fluid may vary dependong on where you live, but I believe isopropanol (and/or some other alcohols) are common components.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Professional Newbie

I ALSO HAVE A PAINT PROBLEM!!!

my school is having construction done all over, and i guess one day they were doing asphalt....but my car was in the vicinity. I now have a ton of tiny bits of asphalt covering the back and left side of my car!! A bunch of them just brushed off, but some stuck...should i just sort of poke them out with my fingernail and then wash/wax immediately or should i be doing something more drastic?? i should emphasize that these are really tiny, about the size of a grain of salt, but they are still there and there are quite a few
Old 05-22-2005, 01:19 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
I ALSO HAVE A PAINT PROBLEM!!!

my school is having construction done all over, and i guess one day they were doing asphalt....but my car was in the vicinity. I now have a ton of tiny bits of asphalt covering the back and left side of my car!! A bunch of them just brushed off, but some stuck...should i just sort of poke them out with my fingernail and then wash/wax immediately or should i be doing something more drastic?? i should emphasize that these are really tiny, about the size of a grain of salt, but they are still there and there are quite a few

When in doubt, clay the car. It will remove all other bits of dirt as well. It's good to keep the paint super clean.