Transporting a Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transporting a Bike

Just out of curiosity...how many of you stuff your bike in your trunk with your back seats down? I somehow manage to fit a 17" mountain bike in my trunk with the front wheel off and both rear seats down of course. I tried to use a Yakima MightyJoe trunk rack but the hooks didn't fit properly and I didn't want to use the roof rack because I think it messes up the lines of the car.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I do it all the time. I have a 19" Hardrock and it fits ok with the seats down with the front wheel and seatpost off. We have a hitch and Thule rack for our other car... I told my wife they didn't make hitches for the TSX I'm thinking about getting one though, or a roof-rack, because it's annoying taking her car all the time whenever we go somewhere for a weekend with our bikes. It's a Passat, so we try to spare it some mileage when we can
Old 09-11-2004, 05:30 PM
5th Gear

I've put a full suspension mountain bike and a road bike (at different times) in the trunk. I then used a trunk mounted Thule system, but I couldn't get the clips to stay put and it is difficult to lock the bikes with this setup. So now I'm using a Yakima roof carrier, and things are MUCH EASIER, and I can lock the bikes too. I also have a roof box for the skiis and camping gear. Initially the rack slid a little, scratching paint on the roofline where the Q-clips go. I've since put double sided tape under the Q-clips on the advice of the Yakima rep.

The setup doesn't look too bad at all. I was convinced of the merits of a roof system on a sportier car when I saw a beautiful BMW M5 with a Yakima system at a mountain bike race
Old 09-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by McTSX
I've put a full suspension mountain bike and a road bike (at different times) in the trunk. I then used a trunk mounted Thule system, but I couldn't get the clips to stay put and it is difficult to lock the bikes with this setup. So now I'm using a Yakima roof carrier, and things are MUCH EASIER, and I can lock the bikes too. I also have a roof box for the skiis and camping gear. Initially the rack slid a little, scratching paint on the roofline where the Q-clips go. I've since put double sided tape under the Q-clips on the advice of the Yakima rep.

The setup doesn't look too bad at all. I was convinced of the merits of a roof system on a sportier car when I saw a beautiful BMW M5 with a Yakima system at a mountain bike race
Old 09-12-2004, 12:19 AM
4th Gear

Yakima trunk rack

I have a Yakima trunk rack that I moved from my previous Accord to my TSX - works great - I don't know why a previous user said the clips wouldn't work?? - the settings are different though - you need to check the Yakima book to get the correct settings for the TSX