Trans fluid change at dealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:29 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans fluid change at dealership

Hi everyone,
My service reminder light came on a while back and it showed B13. 3 = trans fluid change. I understand that it takes at least 3 drain and fill cycles to change out the old fluid completely. I highly doubt that the dealership will do that. I called two different dealerships around my house and they both charge $90. I'm not the type of person who will be able to change things myself, regardless of how much I take care of my car. Any suggestions on what I should do or where I should go?

BTW I have a 2006 AT with about 43,000+ miles.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jeff The Pianist; 10-01-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:03 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Since I have a excellent acura dealer that I trust I would let them do it. I own a 06 MT tsx with 62,000+miles. I guess AT fluid has to be changed sooner than MT. No notice for my car as of yet.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I would ask those dealerships what their procedure is, and if it isn't the drain and refill 3x, then ask them how much it would be to do it that way. It'll likely be more than $90, though. I just had mine done, but I can't remember how much it cost offhand.

Edit: Scratch that. I had the brake fluid changed.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Cruisin'

I looked at my service receipt from Open Road Acura in Wayne NJ and the charge was like $60 for the drain and refill of 3qt of ATF.

I have an '05 AT.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by max666
I looked at my service receipt from Open Road Acura in Wayne NJ and the charge was like $60 for the drain and refill of 3qt of ATF.

I have an '05 AT.

Hope that helps.
Yea I think 3qt is only once.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Yeah, 3qt is DEFINITELY for only once. Honestly, unless you're really hard on it, draining and filling once is sufficient. There's a magnet in the pan that's supposed to cleaned to catch any metal filings. And I'm not sure if the TSX uses a paper transmission filter or a permanent one, but it should be changed or cleaned, whichever is applicable. 42k on a modern vehicle is about right for a tranny fluid change. I did it every 30k on my Mazda. At 120k, it still shifted just as well as it did when I drove it off the lot with 9 miles. And I only changed out the fluid once every time it was changed. Just make sure they clean the magnet (which might be in the pan or it might just be magnetic drain plug) and do what they need to do with the filter.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Can somebody please look at their owners manual (or the service materials given with the owners manual) Doesn't it say that the recommended interval for changing the Transmission oil is 120K. I know, that is a lot but I believe that is what it says.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:55 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your local "jiffy lubes" who have AT flush machines that exchange the fluid in the trans and torque convertor while the engine is running. Make sure they have ATF which is compatible with Honda requirements.

Else just go with the 3 qt drain and fill if that is the recommended Acura procedure.

Your choice, but I went with the fluid exchange on my 03 Chevy truck because it sees lots of heavy trailer towing.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
Can somebody please look at their owners manual (or the service materials given with the owners manual) Doesn't it say that the recommended interval for changing the Transmission oil is 120K. I know, that is a lot but I believe that is what it says.
I think it says 60,000 miles, but I'm not so sure. The service light indicates B13.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nbtx
Check your local "jiffy lubes" who have AT flush machines that exchange the fluid in the trans and torque convertor while the engine is running. Make sure they have ATF which is compatible with Honda requirements.

Else just go with the 3 qt drain and fill if that is the recommended Acura procedure.

Your choice, but I went with the fluid exchange on my 03 Chevy truck because it sees lots of heavy trailer towing.
Yikes!! It is not recommended to "flush" the transmission fluid, even Honda says so. Drain and refill is the proper procedure.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
The flush machines maintain a closed system. All they do allow fluid to drain at a controlled rate while adding at the same rate to maintain a constant amount of fluid in the system. They're not bad for the tranny if used properly, but not recommended for most vehicles. For trucks that see a good amount of use, it's a recommended procedure, especially in 4WDs. Our F550s get tranny flushes every 20k as part of our maintenance, but a lot of them routinely see loads in excess of 12000 lbs hitched up to 'em. And we've sold a few of them off at auction with over 200k miles on the original tranny.

Moral of the story, flushing isn't appropriate for the TSX, but it does have a purpose.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nbtx

I hope you didn't get the fluid exchange service using jiffy lubes "T-Tech" machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T7OoqMYWnY
Old 10-03-2008, 02:24 AM
Racer

That is so scary! I do go to Jiffy Lube to get my oil change. That district manager is an idoit!
Old 10-03-2008, 04:00 AM
Racer

Sick people like that is the reason why I stand behind my car and watch them do everything they're supposed to do!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Addict

Has anyone ever tried changing the tranny fluid themselves? As in most cases, if you want something done right, you got to do it yourself.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:34 AM
still plays with cars

Originally Posted by JTso
I hope you didn't get the fluid exchange service using jiffy lubes "T-Tech" machine.
I stood there and watched them do the job - and I used "jiffy lube" as a generic quicky lube change place. My local shop is run by a well-respected local businessman with decent mechanics.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
The manuals (including the 2004 version, which had more maintenance DIY information) are online. Check the FAQs here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T7OoqMYWnY
Which is why I avoid "fast food auto repair" places like the plague.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Pro

my 04 tsx is only 50K km, but i felt ATF already wear out at 45K km.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Advanced

is b13 service covered by the dealer if your under warrenty still?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by super20g
is b13 service covered by the dealer if your under warrenty still?
No. Warranty does not cover regular maintenance.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
The manuals (including the 2004 version, which had more maintenance DIY information) are online. Check the FAQs here.

Which is why I avoid "fast food auto repair" places like the plague.
You hook up any Honda transmission to that T-tech fluid machine and kiss your transmission good-bye. Honda states specifically that only a drain and fill for transmission fluid changes. I don't even want to talk about the harm they will be doing by not putting in Honda ATF fluid.

Everyone who doesn't do their own maintenance needs to avoid these places and just find a reputable independent mechanic. I can't even recommend dealers because they are in such as rush to get things done that they sometimes screw-up more than these Jiffy Lube places.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:16 PM
5th Gear

Agree on fast food services for lubs...and the machines for flush are biggest $$making scams..avoid all unless you are hauling rocks for a living
Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Cruisin'

Honda/Acura specifically says to only drain/refill your transmission and not use those flushing systems.
I've not done it yet on my '07 TSX with 48k miles because I can't get the drain bolt off. When I take it in next week for the power steering recall I'll ask them to loosen the drain bolt - it's still factory tight.
The drain/refill procedure is very easy and if you can do your own oil change you can do this. My stealership charges like $70 for the 3 qt drain/refill which is outrageous IMO. This procedure should be .3 hours flate rate time (Honda pays .9 hours for a full flush - 3x drain/refill).
Old 07-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff The Pianist
Hi everyone,
My service reminder light came on a while back and it showed B13. 3 = trans fluid change. I understand that it takes at least 3 drain and fill cycles to change out the old fluid completely. I highly doubt that the dealership will do that. I called two different dealerships around my house and they both charge $90. I'm not the type of person who will be able to change things myself, regardless of how much I take care of my car. Any suggestions on what I should do or where I should go?

BTW I have a 2006 AT with about 43,000+ miles.

Thanks!
I doubt you need a trans fluid change that early.. I have 87000 miles on my 04, and I've never changed anything yet. the car is running fine.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Proud Acura Owner

yea it is.. idk what this guy is doing.. it is not needed at 43K miles, that is ridiculous. Unless he is an aggressive driver and has abused his car.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Ok, issues with the machines are that if there is any particles in your fluid, the machine will push them to places they should not have gone. They can clog solenoids for example.

Next, see if your fluid is still red and does not smell burnt. If it is brown, change it. if it smells burnt change it. - regardless of mileage. A lot of the wear protecant can degrade over the years, and I beleive the fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it can absorb water. Water causes rust, and wear. Just like your brake fluid. That is why you change Brake fluid, not because it still works, it can cause rust in your calipers or MS, and then fix it job. I have 37K on mine and will do it this weekend. Honda has a 15% coupon, so I got 6 quarts to do a flush and fill.

Just my .02
Old 07-10-2010, 05:29 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by deepen03
I doubt you need a trans fluid change that early.. I have 87000 miles on my 04, and I've never changed anything yet. the car is running fine.
43K does seem awful early for the MM to throw the trans. fluid change code (it came up at around 90K on my wife's 07), so I'm thinking it must be a combination mileage and elapsed time thing. I'm pretty sure we've never actually discovered the methodology that the MM uses to recommend service. Since some of the codes tend be all over the place, even for something simple like an oil change, it seems there must be more than one or two variables (in my opinion).
Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by Simba91102
43K does seem awful early for the MM to throw the trans. fluid change code (it came up at around 90K on my wife's 07), so I'm thinking it must be a combination mileage and elapsed time thing. I'm pretty sure we've never actually discovered the methodology that the MM uses to recommend service. Since some of the codes tend be all over the place, even for something simple like an oil change, it seems there must be more than one or two variables (in my opinion).
but in the 04, there are no fluid change codes as there is no maintenance screen in the car. So maybe i'm wrong. After I think 06, they put that information screen in the odometer. But I would never believe those screens anyway. it's all manufacturer recommended. and with 43 K miles on his car, I highly doubt he should touch anything. This car is made to run up to 100K with no maintenance except for just oil changes, tires and brakes. It says so in the manual
Old 07-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Instructor

^^ i agree the manual should be followed but i usually do stuff a little bit earlier than what it says, ie I changed my spark plugs at 85k miles instead of the 110k miles i think the manual calls for and I noticed this one little rough idle i had went away..I'm going to change my ATF here in a couple months at 95k miles it cant hurt to change it that early but I agree that changing it at 40k miles is rediculous some people are just obsessive compulsive with their cars nothing you can do about it
Old 07-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gogozy
my 04 tsx is only 50K km, but i felt ATF already wear out at 45K km.
i doubt you felt anything..its all mental...my 05 car shifts excellently and im at 91k miles
Old 07-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use Jiffy Lube ALL THE TIME and never had a problem. Their prices are cheaper than the dealership and I usually get out in less then 15 minutes. They use Pennzoil, so I know I'm getting a good motor oil. Sure they try to sell me these other services but I just kindly decline and that's the end of it. The minimal wait time at my dealership is a hour just for a oil change, I don't have that kind of free time.

Just about all Jiffy Lube will have large windows where you can looked into the service bay to see your car being worked on.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Old Guy

but in the 04, there are no fluid change codes as there is no maintenance screen in the car. So maybe i'm wrong. After I think 06, they put that information screen in the odometer. But I would never believe those screens anyway. it's all manufacturer recommended. and with 43 K miles on his car, I highly doubt he should touch anything. This car is made to run up to 100K with no maintenance except for just oil changes, tires and brakes. It says so in the manual
That's true, the 04 and 05 models are not equipped with the Maintenance Minder (I have an 05 as well as the 07, so I know all about not having the service nanny), but the thread is about an 06 with the MM that's thrown a B3 code (which is "change transmission fluid"), so that's what I was addressing. For the most part I agree with the 04 and 05 manual's recommendations (though the car is not quite as maintenance free as you imply), but.... the transmission is one place where I think a fluid change earlier rather than later is not a wasted effort. I'd say cut the 120K interval in half.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I believe the interval is every 60K which seems typical for the Honda V6 models anyway.
I would change the ATF every 20-30K and would not bother with the 3x3 change- the 3x3 is only needed when you have used some non-spec ATF in a pinch and want to restore the transmission back to original spec. People have done oil analysis and it seems to indicate the Honda fluid doesn't last the full 60K.

For my TL, I do a single drain/refill every 20K which is better than a 3x3 every 60K plus you're not throwing out 5 minute old fluid as you are with the 3x3. I haven't heard much about the TSX having transmission issues so perhaps 30K is more economical interval for most drivers.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I believe the interval is every 60K which seems typical for the Honda V6 models anyway.
I would change the ATF every 20-30K and would not bother with the 3x3 change- the 3x3 is only needed when you have used some non-spec ATF in a pinch and want to restore the transmission back to original spec. People have done oil analysis and it seems to indicate the Honda fluid doesn't last the full 60K.

For my TL, I do a single drain/refill every 20K which is better than a 3x3 every 60K plus you're not throwing out 5 minute old fluid as you are with the 3x3. I haven't heard much about the TSX having transmission issues so perhaps 30K is more economical interval for most drivers.
Page 21 of the 2005 TSX Maintenance Journal (this is the TSX forum by the way) "120000 Miles or 6 Years" "Replace transmission fluid" (among other things)(also, notice it doesn't differentiate between auto or manual transmission), and yes, this is the first time it shows up in the journal. Now.... there seems to be about as many theories about how best to maintain the auto trans. fluid on this forum as there are...... well...., there's a bunch. I tend to vote for the 3x change at 60K and again at 120K. To me, anything more aggressive than that seems wasteful (of both time and materials), but that's my opinion. And as we all know..... opinions are like a**holes, they're everywhere and we all have one.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Resurrection.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
honda/acura dealers can do the 3x method without taking the car off of the rack. all they do is lift it and follow their procedure for working the trans with the car on the rack.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by npolite
You hook up any Honda transmission to that T-tech fluid machine and kiss your transmission good-bye. Honda states specifically that only a drain and fill for transmission fluid changes. I don't even want to talk about the harm they will be doing by not putting in Honda ATF fluid.

Everyone who doesn't do their own maintenance needs to avoid these places and just find a reputable independent mechanic. I can't even recommend dealers because they are in such as rush to get things done that they sometimes screw-up more than these Jiffy Lube places.
my 94 accord is still going strong when I had the trans fluid changed out. 8 years and 100K later the car is still running strong (they used a machine that had 2 tanks on it one full of new atf and one that got filled with old atf saw the new stuff go in and the old stuff come out, changed the fluid once a year my self after that and never had a problem
Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I change mines @ every 3 oil changes or 15k miles. very easy to change.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Proud Acura Owner

so I am actually planning on getting a transmission drain and fill done at DCH Honda here in Old Bridge NJ. I spoke with them, and they said it would cost $125. they do a 2X drain and fill procedure. I spoke to Open Road Honda and Open Road Acura, and they told me it would be $90 and $120 respectively, but they do a 1X drain and fill.

any advice? this is a 2004 TSX with 93,500 miles and I have never done anything to the transmission.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Old Guy

so I am actually planning on getting a transmission drain and fill done at DCH Honda here in Old Bridge NJ. I spoke with them, and they said it would cost $125. they do a 2X drain and fill procedure. I spoke to Open Road Honda and Open Road Acura, and they told me it would be $90 and $120 respectively, but they do a 1X drain and fill.

any advice? this is a 2004 TSX with 93,500 miles and I have never done anything to the transmission.
I can't comment on the price, but I would suggest that you insist on a 3X drain and fill for the first time. I realize that you have no real way on knowing whether or not they do it; the risk inherent in auto service I guess. If you're at all mechanically inclined, you might want to consider doing it yourself; it's really easy. All you'd need is 9 bottles of Honda ATF and a new drain washer (to be refitted after the last drain)(and maybe a few new push rivets since in my experience it's virtually impossible to remove the belly pan without ruining at least a couple of those)(and yes, that's even with special pliers designed to remove the rivets).

Quick Reply: Trans fluid change at dealership