Torque

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 01:06 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Torque

So, all you happy new owners: What about torque? Soes the TSX need more? After my test drive, that is the ONLY thing I could find wrong; reminded me a little of my '92 Integra GSR, and that was the only complaint I had about that car. Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm too lazy to look through 800 posts.

P.S. All ye BMW-philes: yes they are better, but the reason why people love Acuras is that they are almost as good for lots less money and Honda is the best engine maker, period.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:08 PM
Advanced

Nope, real-world acceleration is more than adequate, whether it be running up a steep hill with four male passengers plus me (900 lbs or so, total) or freeway manuevering, the TSX 5AT delivers.

I'll let the 6MT folks speak for their configuration, but I expect you'll get no complaints this side of a drag strip.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

Going from my CL-S to the TSX made me worry a little about the lack of torque. I was pleasantly surprised at how "peppy" the acceleration of this car is. I also have the 5AT and have not been disappointed with the torque. It is fine on the highways and hasn't a problem in the city either. I'd imagine you may have a problem if you live in a very hilly or mountainous area though. I HAVE seen this car chug up a hill or two but, fortunately, I don't have too many hills to contend with in Florida!
Old 09-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Banned

I had buyer's remorse after I bought my TSX. For the first three weeks or so I thought I had a huge pulsating vagina under the hood. But... after I got out of the break-in period and I was really able to push the engine... I have grown to appreciate it much more. I find I have to be a real leadfoot with this car.

PS I was going out to lunch with a colleague of mine a few days ago... (I had a very lucky passenger seat). She really liked the car and remarked that the pickup and ride felt like a BMW or a Mercedes. If it had've been a commercial... I would have turned to my left.... opened my mouth and winked at the camera as the ACURA logo was superimposed on the screen.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:47 PM
Burning Brakes

the torque of this car is not that obvious untill your cruising and then step on it. the feeling you have is the same as i had. the reason it seems gutless is because the torque curve is so flat with the K series engines. the power is actually there you just dont realise it because it doesn't build like the old VTEC engines did.
but after you own one for a while you begin to realise you dont really need to down shift to get power. you can if you want to but the power wont build up like the old VTEC did, you will find the power is smooth and the car so quiet that is seems unexciting at first, but you would be suprised at just how well the car can hold it's own.
i also had a 3.2 TL and was used to but loads of torque but im happy with my purchase
Old 09-01-2003, 09:51 PM
Racer

Originally posted by magic_man
...I'd imagine you may have a problem if you live in a very hilly or mountainous area though. I HAVE seen this car chug up a hill or two but, fortunately, I don't have too many hills to contend with in Florida!
Plenty of hills where I live and the TSX has no problem with them at all. In fact one of my favorite things to do in this car is to acheive the near weightless feeling over steep crested hills.

I don't know what magic_man saw but the only chugging that should be seen in the TSX involves a bottle....
Old 09-02-2003, 12:26 AM
Houston we have a problem

More torque is always better. But do we NEED more? no. The engine is responsive, and had enough torque available even at low rpm. It's different from V6 Acura/Honda. For those cars you'll leave it in the same gear and just step on the gas. For TSX, you double-clutch downshift, and that's the fun of it.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:40 AM
2nd Gear

This is very helpful - thanks.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:35 AM
Cruisin'

Cool

Today I made a right turn on red with about half a block's clearance. The guy behind me flashed his lights. He never got within a third of a block of me. The TSX has plenty of zip!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car has balls. Give it a couple thousand miles and you won't be pushing the gas pedal to the floor very often (dang it!). 3/4 throttle is all you need around town.