Tool quality difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tool quality difference?

Is there a big difference in quality when it comes to tools, I'm thinking about getting this set:

PowerBuilt

or this:

Craftsman

There is a big price difference, but is craftsman that much better? I need to change the oil in my car and I figure why not do it myself. All my other cars I didn't need to jack up the car, but with the TSX looks like it would make things a lot easier with a jack. What do you guys think?

PS: How often do you guys change with non-syntethic oils?
Old 07-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Although neither floor jacks could lift high enough for serious works, but I would pick the Powerbuild for the stronger jack stands, better price and a creeper.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would opt for a stronger / better built jack than buying one of those 2.

I previously purchase such a jack and it was a complete waste of money.

The problem with those is that they are too narrow which renders them unstable with the car jacked up. Also, the saddle (Portion that actually contact the car) is too small and I would reccomend buying one with a rubber pad to prevent damages to the frame structure.

The last jack I bought is a 3 Ton model with a 5 inch saddle to which I added a saddle pad . The jack weight over 80 LBS, is wide and very solid (not scared of getting under the car to install the floor stand) as opposed to my first jack purchased.

This is only my opinion, but getting the wrong tool will end up costing more in the long run.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

frenchnew

Originally Posted by dailo
Is there a big difference in quality when it comes to tools, I'm thinking about getting this set:

PowerBuilt

or this:

Craftsman

There is a big price difference, but is craftsman that much better? I need to change the oil in my car and I figure why not do it myself. All my other cars I didn't need to jack up the car, but with the TSX looks like it would make things a lot easier with a jack. What do you guys think?

PS: How often do you guys change with non-syntethic oils?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Instructor

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...ab=des#tablink

Hrm...maybe i'll get this then. I don't really do a lot of work on my car on my own though. Do you think its wise for me to purchase an expensive jack? I probably will only change my oil with it and if i get daring maybe even change my own break pads and etc. Also maybe a new exhaust if I ever find the money. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Pro

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...ab=des#tablink

Hrm...maybe i'll get this then. I don't really do a lot of work on my car on my own though. Do you think its wise for me to purchase an expensive jack? I probably will only change my oil with it and if i get daring maybe even change my own break pads and etc. Also maybe a new exhaust if I ever find the money. Thanks for the advice.
If you are planning on using it for several years, it makes sense to invest in quality tools and do not forget the you are talking about something to lift almost 1 ton with that jack and it needs solid footing and please do not work under the car without the use of those floor stands, do not rely on the jack no matter how expensensive a unit you buy.

As far as changing the exhaust system on a car, it is one of the difficult jobs as you have to deal with rusted bolts which are usually frozen solid.

Best of luck in your purchase

frenchnew
Old 07-19-2005, 02:02 AM
B A N N E D

go for this one...
worth the investment, believe me i went through two of those ones that you listed before, car is worth too much to get shisty on a low end jack
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...Lift+Equipment
Old 07-19-2005, 07:48 AM
send me a link to JDM??

I have the exact same Craftsman one that you posted above and I'm pretty much in the same boat... I do a few little things myself but for the most part I don't need a heavy duty jack... that one works fine for me.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:54 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
It should be noted that the jack should only LIFT the car - it should then be lowered onto jack stands which support the car as you work on it.

The objection about the narrow jack point is irrelevant IF you use jack stands, which is the safe and proper way to work on it.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by elduderino
It should be noted that the jack should only LIFT the car - it should then be lowered onto jack stands which support the car as you work on it.

The objection about the narrow jack point is irrelevant IF you use jack stands, which is the safe and proper way to work on it.
Just to add to this, its not the small jack saddle that is the main problem. It is that most of those floor jacks with small saddles are usually narrower and get unstable as you jack the car up and if the ground is not perfectly level, those cheap jacks twist very easily.

Best Regards from Montreal

frenchnew
Old 07-20-2005, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Yeup you guys were right, being the cheapo I am I tried out the 30 dollar one. The jack slipped under me as I was getting it up, the small saddle could not support the bar for the front end jack point. It's going back tommorow, and I"ll go to Costco/Sears and get one with a bigger saddle. Should of listened to the advice and save myself a trip. Now my car is at like 6200miles without an oil change!
Old 07-20-2005, 01:20 AM
Senior Moderator

If you look closely at most small jack saddles, they are made for the side jack points where the slits would fit around the jack point. However, they are not made for the front or rear center jack points, as the saddle and the wheels are not sturdy enough to balance the weight of the car.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:10 AM
Instructor

Yeah I tried jacking it up by the side jack points, but the jack point was too small to fit the jack saddle. Scared the crap of me when my car fell, I thought I had broke something. The wheels started to move on the jack to! Bah, you get what you pay for.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 AM
send me a link to JDM??

huh wierd... I've never have a problem jacking it up in the center or rear jack points with the same jack. I mean... I'm not like a speed jacker (word?) I take my time and make sure the car is on level ground and all... and its only up there until I get it on the jack stands.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

The wheels rolling slightly while lifting is normal. But it's definitely no good if it falls. Costco has a low profile, wide wheels, double-pump, high lift SUV jack with large padded saddle available.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Subie Tech

The crasftman jacks are alright. I have a couple friends with the fast/light weight ones and it comes really handly when you need to change your tires at the track!! But yeah...PLEASE USE JACK STANDS!!
Old 07-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Yeah after seeing the car fall like that, no doubt I'll use jack stands. With the stupid jack I couldn't even get it high enough to put jack stands underneath. Is it normal to hear sounds when jacking up the car, sounded like cracknig sounds but I kept on checking and the metal seemed okay. The front jack point with the big arrow pointing at it, should I jack in the middle part where part of the metal sticks out? I noticed that the arrow points to the left of the part that sticks out. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
huh wierd... I've never have a problem jacking it up in the center or rear jack points with the same jack. I mean... I'm not like a speed jacker (word?) I take my time and make sure the car is on level ground and all... and its only up there until I get it on the jack stands.
I've never had a problem w/ my cheapo jack and I've used it many many times. I recently took off the saddle as the jack won't fit under a very low car well. I had been rolling my car onto wood blocks to get a little extra height.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Instructor

I don't know why its a problem but the wheels always roll a little too much and then the jack just slips off the jacking point. Perhaps I need something to stabalize the wheels. I went to costco during lunch today to go get a jack, but jsut my luck the costco near my work doesn't sell any jacks!!! Now I need to find somewhere else. The only bad thing about my current jack is you can't slowly lower the car. You turn a knob to loosen it and it just falls straght down. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:50 PM
send me a link to JDM??

The only bad thing about my current jack is you can't slowly lower the car. You turn a knob to loosen it and it just falls straght down. Thanks again.
That I understand... I had the same problem a few times, just be really really careful to only turn it a little. It breaks in after time as well...
Old 07-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I don't know why its a problem but the wheels always roll a little too much and then the jack just slips off the jacking point. Perhaps I need something to stabalize the wheels. I went to costco during lunch today to go get a jack, but jsut my luck the costco near my work doesn't sell any jacks!!! Now I need to find somewhere else. The only bad thing about my current jack is you can't slowly lower the car. You turn a knob to loosen it and it just falls straght down. Thanks again.
your jack is either really that bad, or you don't know what you're doing. On my cheapo jack if you turn the knob slowly it slows lets down the car, its entirely up the user how much they turn it.

I have this one http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...er=F2365T82002 from Advance Auto, I couldn't imagine it being all that different than yours.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:01 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by xizor
your jack is either really that bad, or you don't know what you're doing. On my cheapo jack if you turn the knob slowly it slows lets down the car, its entirely up the user how much they turn it.

I have this one http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...er=F2365T82002 from Advance Auto, I couldn't imagine it being all that different than yours.
yeah slowly is the key... the second time I was lowering my car off the jack I turned a little too fast and the car lowered faster then I wanted. The release is a tad sticky at first on this jack but after a few ups and downs it loosens up
Old 07-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Instructor

I thought I turned it rather slowly. I guess I can try again, maybe its user error. It's made by Team Mechanix. Any suggestions to stop the wheels from moving? Because once it moves too much it just moves right off the jack point! Even when I do it slowly, it still moves a little.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same exact set of the Craftsman jacks/stands. It's good enough for me for the work I do for my car. I did pick them up while they were on sale for 25 bucks though (black friday deals) so I can't beat that. Unless you're jacking up a large truck or other heavy duty work, it's good enough. I have no problems with my set and I had it for almost 2 years.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I thought I turned it rather slowly. I guess I can try again, maybe its user error. It's made by Team Mechanix. Any suggestions to stop the wheels from moving? Because once it moves too much it just moves right off the jack point! Even when I do it slowly, it still moves a little.
the wheels should definately move. as the jack raises the angle of the arm changes, and therefore the wheels have to move to stay under the car. what should happen though is the saddle and tip of the jack stay in the position (under the jacking point!) and the wheels and jack move. the car shouldn't move off the jacking arm, it could be just a bad design then.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Perhaps I'll try again, don't know why the saddle would slip off the jack point. Going to costco after work is hectic. Was pretty cheap, 30 buxs for jack, jack stands and a creeper!
Old 07-20-2005, 04:55 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Perhaps I'll try again, don't know why the saddle would slip off the jack point. Going to costco after work is hectic. Was pretty cheap, 30 buxs for jack, jack stands and a creeper!
The problem could be that you are trying to keep the wheels from moving. Because xizor is right, think about the angle... the saddle doesn't rise straight up, it moves out as it rises so that causes the jack body to move. If you restrict this motion the saddle would be more likly to slip off the jack point.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Do you guys pad your saddle? I just use folded towel and put it on top of the saddle. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:08 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Do you guys pad your saddle? I just use folded towel and put it on top of the saddle. Thanks.
whoa... no no no, that's prolly why its sliding off...
Old 07-20-2005, 07:10 PM
send me a link to JDM??

don't wanna scratch your jack points?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What? That's just asking for trouble. I would worry more about the car slipping and crushing me than scratching it.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Instructor

lol maybe that's why. I thought I read somewhere to pad the saddle =/
Old 07-20-2005, 07:27 PM
send me a link to JDM??

lol maybe that's why. I thought I read somewhere to pad the saddle =/
well you should stop reading stuff there
Old 07-21-2005, 02:21 AM
Instructor

Got everything going, changed my oil alright. The oil filter was a pain getting out. The jack doesn't get the car high enough for me to even use the creeper! I can only raise the jack stands like two notches. Oh well, at least I was able to reach the oil pan. Thanks guys.