Too soon to ditch the 07 TSX 6MT Navi???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX Wisc Badger
i love how this has become more about my maturity and financial situation rather than the comparison of 2 cars...

remind me to never to include personal info when I post in the future
What did you expect with a title like "Too soon to ditch the 07 TSX 6MT Navi???"
Old 10-19-2007, 03:34 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
Sell the TSX for +$26,000, purchase a used honda accord/civic, and put $15,000 -$20,000 down payment on a house/townhouse/condo.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:34 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was hoping for people to consider the trade in and cost numbers and the 2 cars... not my income numbers or family or situation
Old 10-19-2007, 03:35 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Sell the TSX for +$26,000, purchase a used honda accord/civic, and put $15,000 -$20,000 down payment on a house/townhouse/condo.

already have a house paid for in full waiting for me when i get out of school
Old 10-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Instructor

what do you expect people to say? you are lucky to be in the situation you are in. Not to many people can come to a forum and say ive had 8 cars, I own a house, and my mother just payed cash for my tsx but i want another car just because.
If you want objective opinions then stop providing so much pesonal information
Old 10-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

how is your estimated trade-in ($27,500) floating around invoice when you have 7K miles? I am sure people who are picking up new 07s now are paying less than that.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:44 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by itsme27
what do you expect people to say? you are lucky to be in the situation you are in. Not to many people can come to a forum and say ive had 8 cars, I own a house, and my mother just payed cash for my tsx but i want another car just because.
If you want objective opinions then stop providing so much pesonal information

point taken.. like i said above.

anyone want to share an objective opinion or should i just ask that this thread be closed and forgotten?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:53 PM
BU
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
^ Hey, I think you are good to go base on your posts.
You have a wealthy family.
You got nothing to worry financially now & near future since you already got a shelter waiting for you.

I say," Why Not !? Go for the TL-S "
Old 10-19-2007, 03:54 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
how is your estimated trade-in ($27,500) floating around invoice when you have 7K miles? I am sure people who are picking up new 07s now are paying less than that.

well you have to take into account that the area I am from isn't selling ANYTHING at or even close to invoice. the best deal I heard of someone getting in the area on a TSX navi was 29,090 and that was for an 07 last month which is why i think i could get 27500... but who knows maybe it'd only be 27000

heres the link to edmunds where i got my info if you want to check it out. http://www.edmunds.com/used/2007/acu...tion=vdpresult

specifics are:
sell
black
7000 miles
outstanding condition
zip code 60025
Old 10-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

FWIW, I had my trade appraised here in Minneapolis, and here is what I found for my '04 6MT:
Edmunds: ~$16000
KBB: ~$12000
actual offer: ~$9300 -- they said they looked at the Mannheim auction data and the prices are way down right now, and the 6MT hurt it as well. I also have a bit higher mileage than most.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:05 PM
B A N N E D

well i was looking private party seller... not trade although I'd probably check carmax just in case
Old 10-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Jeez man, then what are you doing thinking about a TSX -vs- a TL-S? Go buy a 911 Turbo, or two - get a black one for commuting, and a red one for the weekends. I've got to save the $2500 I'd use to buy my twin 911s for the purchase of a primary residence!

You are asking on this post for a financial analysis, but your details indicate you don't need to worry about that anyway.

Originally Posted by itsme27
+1
Old 10-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Banned

Oh, well in that case fuck it all, do whatever you want. In this case you didn't tell us too much, but not enough. A mortgage is usualy a family's most costly expense, not to mention you have several hundred grand in equity to borrow against so you're pretty much on easy street. You clearly came here looking for moral justification, here you go, I metaphorically hand it to you.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:30 PM
mrgold35

IMHO - The TL-S is too little too late compared to most of the competition of cars in the same price range. You have Accord, Altima, Maxima, and Camry with very close hp/tq range and luxury (navi, bluetooth, XM/Sirrus, leather, etc..) for a cheaper price.

The TL-S is a model year behind in looks and hp/tq compared to BMW, Lexus, Infiniti and even the caddy CTS. Acura can build it better than most; but sometimes they play catch-up and push out models 1-2 years after the competition is already established.

Bottom line, I would keep the TSX for two more years and check out the TSX or TL type-S down the road. Hondata came out with a reflash for the 2.3L turbo for an extra 26hp and 33 lb/tq. Add I/H/E + Hondata to the 2011 2.3L Turbo TSX type-s w/ sh-awd and you have a TL-S killer in the making.
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by hunterk1
Jeez man, then what are you doing thinking about a TSX -vs- a TL-S? Go buy a 911 Turbo, or two - get a black one for commuting, and a red one for the weekends. I've got to save the $2500 I'd use to buy my twin 911s for the purchase of a primary residence!

You are asking on this post for a financial analysis, but your details indicate you don't need to worry about that anyway.
not quite...

my question was: is it stupid to spend 7 grand more on a TL-S right now because I just took the inital hit on the resale value of the TSX being in the 1st year. Do the benifits of having 286hp in a TL-S (I'm looking for more power in a car) outweigh the cost of obtaining that amount of HP or should I wait on the hondata reflash so i can S/C the car (the downside to that being we may never get a reflash and its still gonna cost $about 5 grand).

and trust me, if i didn't have a conscience I would go ask for a 911 Turbo... I've wanted one since I was 9. You guys can say I'm spoiled or whatever but there is a big difference between a $30000 acura and a $130000 porsche. My mom isn't an idiot... I have no business driving a Porsche right now but you're talking about an exotic sports car and a $5-7k upgrade in sedans which is a far stretch of comparison.
Racer

I'm not going to comment on the financial aspect of your situation because it seems everyone has beaten that to death and you know your situation better than any of us, so that's up to you.

Here is my point: You say you want more power. One of your posts even quoted dollars per month for more horsepower. I would try my HARDEST to spend some quality time in that powerful car and I think you'll come back to the TSX and not want to sell it.

Why? Because I've had a powerful car before - an '05 298 HP Infiniti G35 coupe - and it was the least satisfying car of any I've owned. On paper, the TSX is much slower, but it is SO much more fun to drive. It's hard to explain, but it just is. Think about it... most of the time you're in traffic, behind someone else, or at the speed limit... after the first month of that gas pedal putting a smile on your face, it wears off. I always thought people were dumb for saying "why buy power you can't use" but it's true. You're always going to be behind someone slower than you and unless you make a point to take your car to the track on a regular basis I'd say it's pointless.

Don't get me wrong, HP turns me on, and punching the throttle in my G was fun, but I got to do it so infrequently that it seemed like a waste.

Concentrate more on the looks/handling/audio of your car and those things are far more rewarding than more ponies or beating that minivan up the highway on-ramp. That being said, if you like how your TSX drives, handles, looks, etc, keep it and save that money for rock for your girl!

Old 10-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Banned

not quite...

my question was: is it stupid to spend 7 grand more on a TL-S right now because I just took the inital hit on the resale value of the TSX being in the 1st year. Do the benifits of having 286hp in a TL-S (I'm looking for more power in a car) outweigh the cost of obtaining that amount of HP or should I wait on the hondata reflash so i can S/C the car (the downside to that being we may never get a reflash and its still gonna cost $about 5 grand).
No, it's not worth it. It would have been barely worth it if you bought the TL-S originaly, with the added hit of the trade-in falling way short of what you payed after taxes it's not worth it by a wide margin.

To complicate matters there are new models coming out mere months from now.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:35 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by wackura
Oh, well in that case fuck it all, do whatever you want. In this case you didn't tell us too much, but not enough. A mortgage is usualy a family's most costly expense, not to mention you have several hundred grand in equity to borrow against so you're pretty much on easy street. You clearly came here looking for moral justification, here you go, I metaphorically hand it to you.
not looking for the moral side, i have good morals and although most of you were concerned with the car being a gift and me just selling it right away... i wouldn't do anything like that until I made sure it wouldnt upset the gift giver (mom).

This post below is more like what I was looking for.
IMHO - The TL-S is too little too late compared to most of the competition of cars in the same price range. You have Accord, Altima, Maxima, and Camry with very close hp/tq range and luxury (navi, bluetooth, XM/Sirrus, leather, etc..) for a cheaper price.

The TL-S is a model year behind in looks and hp/tq compared to BMW, Lexus, Infiniti and even the caddy CTS. Acura can build it better than most; but sometimes they play catch-up and push out models 1-2 years after the competition is already established.

Bottom line, I would keep the TSX for two more years and check out the TSX or TL type-S down the road. Hondata came out with a reflash for the 2.3L turbo for an extra 26hp and 33 lb/tq. Add I/H/E + Hondata to the 2011 2.3L Turbo TSX type-s w/ sh-awd and you have a TL-S killer in the making.
thats a good point too... thanks for the objective CAR opinion
Old 10-19-2007, 04:37 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Bleser
I'm not going to comment on the financial aspect of your situation because it seems everyone has beaten that to death and you know your situation better than any of us, so that's up to you.

Here is my point: You say you want more power. One of your posts even quoted dollars per month for more horsepower. I would try my HARDEST to spend some quality time in that powerful car and I think you'll come back to the TSX and not want to sell it.

Why? Because I've had a powerful car before - an '05 298 HP Infiniti G35 coupe - and it was the least satisfying car of any I've owned. On paper, the TSX is much slower, but it is SO much more fun to drive. It's hard to explain, but it just is. Think about it... most of the time you're in traffic, behind someone else, or at the speed limit... after the first month of that gas pedal putting a smile on your face, it wears off. I always thought people were dumb for saying "why buy power you can't use" but it's true. You're always going to be behind someone slower than you and unless you make a point to take your car to the track on a regular basis I'd say it's pointless.

Don't get me wrong, HP turns me on, and punching the throttle in my G was fun, but I got to do it so infrequently that it seemed like a waste.

Concentrate more on the looks/handling/audio of your car and those things are far more rewarding than more ponies or beating that minivan up the highway on-ramp. That being said, if you like how your TSX drives, handles, looks, etc, keep it and save that money for rock for your girl!

good post... i see your point.

thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Poser / Fanboi

my question was: is it stupid to spend 7 grand more on a TL-S right now because I just took the inital hit on the resale value of the TSX being in the 1st year.
To most mortals (no offense intended) this would be a bad financial deal, because we can't afford (or it simply isn't wise) to take a $7k loss...

Do the benifits of having 286hp in a TL-S [...]
This is partly unanswerable (because we don't know if there ever will be an '07 reflash). But honestly, if you're looking for more power, why a TL-S anyway? Why not an M3 or some other more potent sedan? I guess if you are looking to stay in the Acura family that would explain it...

Don't forget the TL-S is heavier - so there are fewer returns on the added power. I'm sure it would be fun.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Banned

I realize that TSX Wisc Badger didn't actualy pay the TSX so he's not loosing any money on a trade in of a car he owns outright, but he would essentialy be throwing away the money someone else used to purchase the car which is worse than throwing away your own money.

He says his mom wouldn't care and they won the lottery or whatever but throwing away money is throwing away money regardless of where it came from. It reflects poorly on your decision making abilities, and it's worth suffering just to save face so you never have to say "I put between five and ten grand in a drum and lit it afire" if even to yourself.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:21 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by hunterk1
To most mortals (no offense intended) this would be a bad financial deal, because we can't afford (or it simply isn't wise) to take a $7k loss...

This is partly unanswerable (because we don't know if there ever will be an '07 reflash). But honestly, if you're looking for more power, why a TL-S anyway? Why not an M3 or some other more potent sedan? I guess if you are looking to stay in the Acura family that would explain it...

Don't forget the TL-S is heavier - so there are fewer returns on the added power. I'm sure it would be fun.

ok thats a little better.

as far as financially... I don't want to piss away my money however I am willing to pay a little bit to get what I wanted. I mean I'm gonna take a $7k loss eventually... the longer I wait the more I'll lose in the end. I might drive it for 3 years and get $18k for it but because its a depreciating asset I'll always lose in the end.

I like Acuras for one thing but I also don't want to buy an M3 or whatever because I wanted to stay below the $35k mark for a car. I probably could have gotten a 1yr old 330I or hell even a new MB C 230 sport but I don't need the "prestiege" of the name. I would have gotten a GTO but I had a friend who got one and it was pretty much junk... plus I can't stand american cars. Acura is reliable, luxurious and sporty all in one... i just wanted a little bit more kick out of the engine is all. I probably should have just gotten a TL-S from the start but I though it would be more fun to get a TSX and put in the extra $5 grand in upgrades instead of streching for $37000 for a TL-S and not putting much into it, however I also didn't know Hondata was this slow at the time. I honestly walked into a shop the day after I got my car and paid for a reflash... they refunded me a week later when I asked what was taking so long say "Oh we didn't know Hondata didn't do the 07's yet". I guess all of this is just rooted to my being impatient with Hondata and wanting to feel some more power under my foot in the very near future.

After thinking about it more I am going to stick with the TSX because of all the good points that were made on this thread... personal and objective.

thanks guys.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:22 PM
mrgold35

Hey TSX Wisc Badger, just remember opinions are like A$$ holes. Everyone has one and they all stink!!

We are all jealous and we wish we had your problems.

By the way, love your Avatar
Old 10-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Banned

as far as financially... I don't want to piss away my money however I am willing to pay a little bit to get what I wanted. I mean I'm gonna take a $7k loss eventually... the longer I wait the more I'll lose in the end. I might drive it for 3 years and get $18k for it but because its a depreciating asset I'll always lose in the end.
You can pull out a calculator and figure out how much money you payed for each month of usage of the vehicle. I don't know exactly how much you payed for it but that number is probably at its highest right now and becomes lower with each passing month.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:21 PM
B A N N E D

Hey TSX Wisc Badger, just remember opinions are like A$$ holes. Everyone has one and they all stink!!

We are all jealous and we wish we had your problems.

By the way, love your Avatar
yes they are mrgold... and i don't have problems with peoples opinions that were posted up here... i just wish they were more "on topic" so to speak.

anyway, ive made my decision so its all good
Old 10-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Intermediate

i just wish they were more "on topic" so to speak.
All of this is "on topic" - its all discussing what you mentioned in your first post as the thread-starter.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:28 PM
B A N N E D

whatever you say... thats your opinion and maybe my fault but none the less its OVER

moderator if you will please
close the thread!

i'm done hearing about it