TL-S Trade?!?!?! Financial Advice too!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:18 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by curls
Firstly, I'd talk with a financial advisor in your area who knows the US markets and the PA tax laws. Nothing against chuson, as his advice is SOLID, but for your specific situation, Jordan, I'd talk with someone about how to go about investing based on what your company's 401K is like, etc... and your financial situation and goals. One way to start investing is to make monthly contributions, no matter the size, to funds where you're paying small fees (1-2%) to have a professional manage the exact holdings in the portfolio. Here in Canuckistan they're known as mutual funds... not sure about the U-S-and-A.

And you will be VERY happy having paid off the car in a few months. I long for that feeling.
Yup, I'm in Canada and therefore I might not have enough knowledge about US Law and Tax system. Seek your financial advisor for best advise.

For jwood_06TSX, there's alot of investment that you can do with or without extra big bunch of money. A simply way is to do Monthly PAC to mutual funds/ or Universal Life Insurance. There's alot of other options as well but as I said, seek someone who knows better to guide you. Forget about money market, GIC or bank notes. Because at the end, you put soooo much effort to save your money and it won't appreciate much, might just be break even with inflation and tax after-all.

Remember, when you do investment, % return is something you look for BUT it's not the most important thing. TIME (*Long-term investment) is your friend.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eric and Chuson,

Thanks for the advice I will have look into doing that once i get my foundation set and have a little money to throw around, which should be in a few months. My raise kicks in as of friday but i raised my 401k contribution anyway, so i won't see much difference anyway....lol.

I just need to fix my little problems with my car and then i'm done messing with it. I'm actually ready to put the stock wheels back on it and leave it alone cause of the stupid alingment issue and fading the right. Anyway, thanks again for the help and info!!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1. Build up a 3-month supply of emergency funds, basically you should have enough money to cover all your payments/obigations for 3 months. Put this amount in a very liquid (ie. easy to access, no fee for withdrawl) kind of account. A money market savings account works.
2. Any savings beyond the 3-month supply should go into a long term investment plan. Make it a habit to regularly invest a specific amount every month. Check out our Money & Investing Subforum. I have an account at Vanguard were I invest in a mix of very low fee index funds.
3. See if there is a way to diversify your holdings of your company's stock, particularly if most of your net worth is tied up in it. Some companies require you hold their stock for a set number of years before you sell it.

I'm not a financial planner but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. I have an MBA in Finance.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:02 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by jlukja
I'm not a financial planner but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. I have an MBA in Finance.
You don't have to be a Financial Advisor to contribute in this thread, your education background and experiences help too~!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Instructor

I paid my kids tuition (Notre Dame and University of MN) so that they would not have loans when they graduated. Glad they bought homes instead of cars with the money they saved. Buy a car you can afford, not the car you want. If they are the same consider yourself lucky. I wanted a Z06 Corvette, but settled for a Z51 but didn't see the value. Same with the TL vs TSX. 5 or 6K really won't change much in my life, but I don't need the bigger car so why spend the money. Just remember, its not how much money you make, but how much money you keep.

You can always get a car, save you money and buy a house.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by timd38
I paid my kids tuition (Notre Dame and University of MN) so that they would not have loans when they graduated. Glad they bought homes instead of cars with the money they saved. Buy a car you can afford, not the car you want. If they are the same consider yourself lucky. I wanted a Z06 Corvette, but settled for a Z51 but didn't see the value. Same with the TL vs TSX. 5 or 6K really won't change much in my life, but I don't need the bigger car so why spend the money. Just remember, its not how much money you make, but how much money you keep.

You can always get a car, save you money and buy a house.
You know, I'm all for building wealth, but at some point, you have to have some fun with the money you work hard for. Saving every penny you make is ridiculous, but spending and living way above your means is also ridiculous. There needs to be a balance. I for one don't want to wait until I'm 55-60 to enjoy the fruits of my labor. All you need are goals, and I've been meeting all of mine.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

I agree with both of your opinions so i try to live somewhere in the middle, which tends to be hard actually. You end up spending a little but enjoy it which in turns makes you want to spend more! The same goes for saving, the more you see it grow, the more you want to see it grow more. But i seem to watch myself spend money and grow less because i don't see my money growing however, that is because i haven't put much into different accounts yet so maybe once i start i'll change my tune.

Jan- Thanks for the advice, i always listen to what other people and decided whether or not its useful or useless but my theory is you can learn at least one thing from everyone ele in this world from Bill Gates to a bum on the street, so i don't put down anyone because of that

timd- I agree with you about the $5-6k difference not being that much and for my case especially with my commute of only 2.8 miles to the train station. I am keeping the TSX and starting to save once i pay it off in about 2 months! Paying for your kids school was a plus, my parents helped a lot, their debt is about 3-4 times what mine is :/
Old 09-02-2007, 05:31 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

fokkin joerockt... u need to STAY on the TL boards so that i don't get any more blasted ideas!

i've never met joe in person, but i'm sure he's the voice inside my head!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Exclamation Ahhh!!!

I just got an email saying they are having a summer end clearance sale and they are taking another $1k off the car!!! That means i could get the TL-S for $32,859 + TTL. I am being tempted WAY too much with this stinking car and i really want to move it, part out my car, and just STOP modding....i end up wasting more money trying turn my TSX into something its not......i need to delete my email from their mailing address!!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^^
Old 09-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Just dial 1911

Torment is such a bitch....
Old 09-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by joerockt
Torment is such a bitch....
i figured you would be one of the first people to resond to this......JERK!!!!.....lol

So any down falls you have seen to the TL-S yet?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
i figured you would be one of the first people to resond to this......JERK!!!!.....lol

So any down falls you have seen to the TL-S yet?

Besides the fact that it wont import my Palm Treo address book, not much...
Old 09-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Ah what the hell....do it. If you make a mistake, you have more than enough time to recover. Just make sure you're still saving and investing otherwise.

If I were you, or I'd go buy a used porsche or something....might as well do it while you haven't any kids to worry about.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Ah what the hell....do it. If you make a mistake, you have more than enough time to recover. Just make sure you're still saving and investing otherwise.

If I were you, or I'd go buy a used porsche or something....might as well do it while you haven't any kids to worry about.

Now THAT'S the voice of reason
Old 09-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by joerockt

Besides the fact that it wont import my Palm Treo address book, not much...
Nice, well i'm glad your enjoying it for the both of us right now!!.....lol

CarbonGray Earl - If i didn't need it as an everday driver and have to trade it in in order to get a decent monthly payment, i def would, that is for sure! Always been a big fan of porsche!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:04 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

WOW! I just got a call back from one of the dealerships, and the deal is just unbelievable... $33.1k!!!! They have a bunch in stock, but they're all AT --- if they can locate a 6MT, it may be buh-bye TSX!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by amadeus303
WOW! I just got a call back from one of the dealerships, and the deal is just unbelievable... $33.1k!!!! They have a bunch in stock, but they're all AT --- if they can locate a 6MT, it may be buh-bye TSX!
Which dealer? Precision?

Not that I'm looking... just curious.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Is that the contact i gave you Mike?!?!

That is the price that Sussman Acura gave me and Davis Acura said they would match it, so its either them or Precision. They are all great dealerships in general except, watch out for Sussman, i heard they can get pretty shady at times!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:16 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Jordan --- make the voices stop!!!! I... can't... hold... them... off... much... longer...
Old 09-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Jordan --- make the voices stop!!!! I... can't... hold... them... off... much... longer...
hahah.....i know, tell me about it! Which dealer did you hear back from?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Which dealer? Precision?

Two months ago Precision didn't have any 2007 manuals on the lot. I was about to purchase a KBP from them but canceled when I found out they were trading with another dealership and wanted to put another 90 miles on the odometer driving the car to their dealership.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:45 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Davis... as soon as we got off PMs, Maggie actually emailed me a quote (I don't think they have automatic email acknowledgement), which was a little higher than what you initially got. I decided to call her today to see what else she might have around, and as we got around to talking, I asked her if the quote she gave me was still "valid". She then said, "Actually, I have a better figure for you. I was just about to change it today". I had a feeling they might, as I saw that Acura is now offering $2500 in marketing support through 10/31.

In any event, you're right on the button --- she is great to deal with, and very professional. I hope they can locate a 6MT!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cbptls
Two months ago Precision didn't have any 2007 manuals on the lot. I was about to purchase a KBP from them but canceled when I found out they were trading with another dealership and wanted to put another 90 miles on the odometer driving the car to their dealership.
Yeah, I've noticed they don't carry many MTs there. Mostly ATs. I go there for service even though it's an hour away and I have another dealer 10 minutes from me.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:47 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Btw... I mentioned that I was referred to them by you (Jordan Wood --- assumed from your screename?), and that you were very complimentary of how friendly, courteous, and professional they were. SO, if you end up going for it and you get a little extra off... or some mats thrown in, etc...
Old 09-06-2007, 03:48 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Which dealer? Precision?

Do it Luv... you know you want to
Old 09-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Do it Luv... you know you want to
Don't tempt me!

Old 09-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Btw... I mentioned that I was referred to them by you (Jordan Wood --- assumed from your screename?), and that you were very complimentary of how friendly, courteous, and professional they were. SO, if you end up going for it and you get a little extra off... or some mats thrown in, etc...
Sweet, well thanks for the reference, i know i could have used it since i ended up turning down the car....lol.

Keep talking with Maggie, she is really good to work with!!!

Good luck, i hope they can find a 6MT for ya and then you can enjoy it for the both of us!!

Man i wish i had the balls to do it but i'm trying to keep my mind and money so i can SAVE and pay off loans instead of upgrading....UGGHHH
Old 09-06-2007, 03:56 PM
7th Gear

Dude move out of your parents.... pff keep the TSx
Old 09-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Don't tempt me!

DO IT, for me since i can't.....you know you want too......DO IT!!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

DO IT, for me since i can't.....you know you want too......DO IT!!!!
Hehehe.....unfortunately, I'm sticking with my TSX for the same reasons you are. Want to pay it off and save money for the down payment on a condo. Can't blow it all now.

I will, however, be looking to swap in 2-3 more years when my TSX is at least 5 years old.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hehehe.....unfortunately, I'm sticking with my TSX for the same reasons you are. Want to pay it off and save money for the down payment on a condo. Can't blow it all now.

I will, however, be looking to swap in 2-3 more years when my TSX is at least 5 years old.
That is what i decided to do i think. I am going to save for loans and then when the new TSX and TL come out i'll look into them otherwise, i'm switching to infinite i think lol
Old 09-06-2007, 04:30 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

It's a smart decision... I wish I could shake my car habit. *IF* I get into the TL-S, that'll make 5 new cars in 6 years. The TSX would've lasted me the longest at 2.5 years. If I wasn't already a homeowner, I wouldn't even entertain it...

With that said, I'll let ya'll know how great the power is in my new whip
Old 09-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator

That is what i decided to do i think. I am going to save for loans and then when the new TSX and TL come out i'll look into them otherwise, i'm switching to infinite i think lol
I think it's the right thing to do at this point in time. If I already had a comfortable home and was all set to go with everything else, then it wouldn't be a big deal to get a new car. But I don't have a house yet, and my '04 isn't paid off yet, so getting a new (and more expensive) car isn't the wisest decision to make, at least financially. There will still be nice cars around a few years, something else to drool over I'm sure, so hang in tight with what you have and you can reap the rewards a little ways down the road. I actually almost traded in this summer, but thought it over for a few days to let it sink in. I had both the console lights and A/C issues occur in a span of less than 2 months, so I was getting nervous about the reliability of my car, but remembered that I still have plenty of time left on the CPO warranty to bide my time for a while. When the warranty is up, then I'll decide what to do.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's a smart decision... I wish I could shake my car habit. *IF* I get into the TL-S, that'll make 5 new cars in 6 years. The TSX would've lasted me the longest at 2.5 years. If I wasn't already a homeowner, I wouldn't even entertain it...

Did they find you a 6MT?!?!?!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:45 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Did they find you a 6MT?!?!?!
I haven't heard anything back yet... Maggie said she'd give me a call today or tomorrow --- I'm crossing my fingers!

Sheesh... the deal's so good, I'm *almost* tempted to go with the AT in the event that they can't find one, but I have to remind myself that this is something I *don't* need to do... it's something I *want* to do --- so I better make sure I get what I want, right?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Racer

Car habit is tuff......

Didn't have a habit until I got a Honda Civic (06 Coupe) which was much more fun than my previous Corolla. Then I found out that the TSX existed (yes, didn't look around much when I bought the Civic, was just looking for another inexpensive car I could keep for another 9-12 years), and I immediately traded my new, 5000km Civic for the TSX. Damn Honda, for giving me the "car bug", haha!! (Seriously, thank-you Honda for making me realize how fun a car can be. )

Now I devour information about all types of nice driver's cars out there. However, I still love my TSX too much at this point to part with it. Some cars are more powerful, some cars are better handlers at the limits, but the TSX is such a great all-around package. I recently came out of a test drive with a car that is $20 grand (CAN) more. I loved the way the car performed. However, when I drove the TSX again, I broke out into a big grin again, just like I do since the first time I drove one. I love the drive....
Old 09-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Racer

I haven't heard anything back yet... Maggie said she'd give me a call today or tomorrow --- I'm crossing my fingers!

Sheesh... the deal's so good, I'm *almost* tempted to go with the AT in the event that they can't find one, but I have to remind myself that this is something I *don't* need to do... it's something I *want* to do --- so I better make sure I get what I want, right?
Absolutely. Don't compromise.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:14 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i know i am going to wait to see what the next gen TSX is going to be like...
Old 09-06-2007, 09:41 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by jiggaman
i know i am going to wait to see what the next gen TSX is going to be like...
Jig... I was going to initially do the same... the following is what got me to consider possibly going into something now:

1) As much as I want AWD, I really don't think the TSX will get it in the next gen at all... and if it does, it'll probably be a Type-S version in 2011.

2) AWD would add so much weight, and I don't think the next gen TSX will produce enough power (turbo'd or not) to give it the kind of acceleration numbers that the TL-S has. Besides, I don't think Acura wants to market to buyers who would cross shop a Subie or Mitsu since they're trying to go more upscale.

3) As much as I'd love a turbo'd 4, getting a whole week in the TL-S really showed me how effortless it is to get the power out of a V6. I still love my TSX, but it feels a little out of breath when I get up on the speedometer.

4) I can't stand the Sports Concept 4 OR the spy shots of the alleged new TL car.

5) The TL-S seems to handle better than my modded TSX.

It's really weird because I had no interest in the TL-S until I borrowed my pop's car for the week. That gave me a chance to really put it through its paces and see what I did (e.g., 5.7s to 60mph ) and didn't (e.g., rear seats don't fold down) like about it. I also considered a CPO RL, but the lack of a stick was a big downer for me despite all the add'l creature comforts. If I end up keeping the TSX, I won't be upset --- I've spent a lot of time (and $) on it, and out of all the vehicles I've owned, it's been my favorite by far.

I always look at cars no matter how happy I am with what I have --- it's a real problem Unfortunately, it's the ridiculous discounting that has me going...

Quick Reply: TL-S Trade?!?!?! Financial Advice too!