Tire Rotation

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Rotation

I have stock wheels and tires, are they unidirectional or directional? I called two different Acura dealerships and they gave me different answers. How should I rotate the tires?

Old 03-14-2007, 01:46 AM
Advanced

For stock tires, you would do the non-directional tires and wheels (the one on the left).
Old 03-14-2007, 06:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
The stock tires are not directional. If your tires are directional they will have an arrow pointing in the direct that they should be rolling. Do the rotation on the left for stock tires.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:36 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

The arrows are the definitive piece of information, but I think you can also tell by looking at the tread and the symmetry it exhibits.

I can't quite think of a firm rule of thumb to describe it, except that it will seem obvious that the tread is "one way" and would be backwards if the tire is rotated to the opposite side of the car.

If the tread will basically "point in the same direction" (e.g. present the same pattern with respect to it's rotation to the pavement) when moved to the other side of the car, then it's not directional.

If the tread seems to point either toward the front or the back, then it's probably directional.

There may be exceptions to this, but I haven't seen one.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Racer

I just went to Pepboys to get my tires rotated. I asked the rotation to be in a criss-cross patter where the Front Right tire would go to Rear Left, etc. The service guy told me that it is not recommended because of the radial tires. I didn't know what he was talking about, and I didn't want to argue with him. So I just rotate the tires front to back.

BTW, I still have the stock tires, which is non-directional.

Does anyone know what he was talking about? Will I be fine doing the criss-cross rotation?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

The Acura dealer I bought my TSX from does free oil changes and tire rotations every 7500 miles.

Last time I checked they did a front to back rotation with my stock tires, which
made me confused too because I thought ours were suppose to go criss cross
Old 08-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff The Pianist
I just went to Pepboys to get my tires rotated. I asked the rotation to be in a criss-cross patter where the Front Right tire would go to Rear Left, etc. The service guy told me that it is not recommended because of the radial tires. I didn't know what he was talking about, and I didn't want to argue with him. So I just rotate the tires front to back.

Does anyone know what he was talking about? Will I be fine doing the criss-cross rotation?

Thanks
Tell the moron at Pepboys that we live in 2007, not 1957 when that might have been a problem.

Modern non-directional all-season tires are designed such that you can do the criss cross rotation pattern without issues. The dude at Pepboys was just being lazy.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

I believe if you have non-directional tires you can do both types of tire rotations
Old 08-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Soul Glo

Should a tire rotation typically be done with the very first oil change?

Just picked up my 07 last week from the dealer and I want to know every minute detail to keep my baby lasting forever.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Forkball88
Should a tire rotation typically be done with the very first oil change?

Just picked up my 07 last week from the dealer and I want to know every minute detail to keep my baby lasting forever.
Depends on how you drive. My car, with summer only tires and a more sporty driving style means I am rotating my tires every 3000 miles. However, if you are much more relaxed and are planning on keeping the stock Michelins, every 5000 miles or so should be more than adequate.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
would you guys recommened a balance with the rotation? i used to do a rotation & balance with every other oil change...
Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Car Nut

Thanks
Actually, he did you a bit of a favour, but not because he is competent... he's out to lunch for sure.

The Front right tire should be moved to the Rear right position, and the rear right to the Front Left. You criss-cross back to front, and move front to back on the same side for radial tires on a FWD car. RWD cars with would be rotated as you suggested (criss-crossing front to back)

Other than with uni-directional tires, you are better off criss-crossing the tires, as you will even out the treadwear, which is uneven as most roads are slighly inclined (road crown), and most people drive by themselves, leading to slightly more weight on the driver's side tires. Rotating tires as described will ensure that each tire will be at each position over 4 rotations.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
My dad had always told me that cross rotation was bad because as the radial tire ages the cables in the tire flex and mold in a pattern of the direction the tire rotates at driving speeds. Driving on the tire at highway speeds in the opposite direction will flex the cables in the other direction and could possibly cause cables to break. So, I've always been taught to do the rotation shown for directional tires, and don't know of a shop that does rotations as shown for "non-directional" tires.

My dad and I are fairly knowledgeable about cars, but nor her or I claim to be experts...so we could be wrong!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My dad has a couple of old cars. One time a shop rotated the tires as a favor for him (he did not ask them to, they just did it on their own). Anyway, eventually the wires in the tire started coming out. They were radial tires...they are supposed to rotate in one direction only.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
My dad has a couple of old cars. One time a shop rotated the tires as a favor for him (he did not ask them to, they just did it on their own). Anyway, eventually the wires in the tire started coming out. They were radial tires...they are supposed to rotate in one direction only.

Has anyone actually called an acura dealership and asked them? Or maybe we should call two just to be safe
Old 03-14-2008, 12:55 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

We should have a vote as to how our Acura service dealt with rotation! When I rotated my tires at approx 11,000 miles, the Acura dealer rotated my stock using the Unidirectional method (one on the right of picture in the service manual). I know because I had the tires marked just before I brought in for servicing to make sure they actually rotated my tires and not just on paper. Goes to show you how 'gun-shy' I am now after a few bad experiences with other dealers (other makes/models).
Old 03-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by thunder04
My dad had always told me that cross rotation was bad because as the radial tire ages the cables in the tire flex and mold in a pattern of the direction the tire rotates at driving speeds. Driving on the tire at highway speeds in the opposite direction will flex the cables in the other direction and could possibly cause cables to break. So, I've always been taught to do the rotation shown for directional tires, and don't know of a shop that does rotations as shown for "non-directional" tires.

My dad and I are fairly knowledgeable about cars, but nor him or I claim to be experts...so we could be wrong!
Just noticed that! D'oh!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Advanced

From Tirerack.com

Four (4) Tire Rotation
What tire rotation pattern should be followed? The Tire & Rim Association has identified three traditional rotation patterns covering most vehicles (equipped with non-directional tires and wheels which are the same size and offset).

On front-wheel drive cars, rotate the tires in a forward cross pattern (Figure A) or the alternative X pattern (Figure B)
On rear-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicles, rotate the tires in a rearward cross pattern (Figure C) or the alternative X pattern (Figure B)

Tire Rack Rotation Instructions
Old 03-14-2008, 02:18 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

I think what most TSX owners want to know is: what the freakin' heck should the tire rotation be for stock tires as the Acura dealers seem to be confused.

According to tire rack then, it should be figure A or B not the C which was what my Acura Dealer did!

Man, how hard is this? How can this cause so much confusion is beyond me (unless not all TSX stock Michelin tires are equal).
Old 03-16-2008, 11:09 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I get my tires rotated every 6,000-7,000 miles and never thought of what way it is done. I guess the way my dealer is doing it is ok since my stock tires are still in excellent shape after almost 40,000 miles. I check the tire pressure often.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jottle
Has anyone actually called an acura dealership and asked them? Or maybe we should call two just to be safe
I think our stock tires are non-directional, so it doesn't matter.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:34 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Jottle
I asked my friend, a acura service manager. He emailed me and wrote front to back
Old 03-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
I think our stock tires are non-directional, so it doesn't matter.
. I am pretty sure this is the case.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by cestmoi
I think what most TSX owners want to know is: what the freakin' heck should the tire rotation be for stock tires as the Acura dealers seem to be confused.

According to tire rack then, it should be figure A or B not the C which was what my Acura Dealer did!

Man, how hard is this? How can this cause so much confusion is beyond me (unless not all TSX stock Michelin tires are equal).
Great point; another thread populated by a bunch of guys (including me) with too much time on their hands. Just rotate the friggin things. As long as the back ones end up on front and the front ones end up on back, who cares?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 AM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by str8 tsx
I have stock wheels and tires, are they unidirectional or directional? I called two different Acura dealerships and they gave me different answers. How should I rotate the tires?

The guy who wrote that manual page knew there would be modern radial tires on the vehicle. And the stock ones from the factory are nondirectional so use the appropriate criss-cross pattern. When radials first came out in the 1950s it was recommended to not criss-cross them. Apparently modern radial tires are tolerant of running in either direction, and the tire store guys are still stuck in the 1950s.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:51 AM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW, I've run radials on my trucks for the last 10 years and criss-crossing them worked fine.