tinting in the Portland, OR area

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006 | 08:40 PM
Burning Brakes

tinting in the Portland, OR area

i found some information (posted below) on oregon tint laws, but i don't know the first thing about deciding where to get tinting done. anyone in the portland, oregon area know of a good tinting place? and what type of tint would be best for the pacific NW?

Oregon Tint Law Enacted: 1995
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN OREGON?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Oregon, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield - Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows - Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side Windows - Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window - Must allow more than 35% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN OREGON?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.
Front Side Windows - Must not be more than 13% reflective.
Back Side Windows - Must not be more than 13% reflective.

OTHER OREGON RULES AND REGULATIONS
Restricted Colors - The tint color(s) of RED GREEN AMBER are not legal by state law.
Side Mirrors - Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements - Manufacturers of film need to certify the film they sell in the state. Ask your dealer if they are using ceritified film.
Sticker Requirements - No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption - State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.
Old 06-12-2006 | 09:03 PM
nub
Intermediate

i got my tint done at Speed Concept in Aloha. Black, non-reflective, 35% all around. They did a pretty good job. Paid $185.
Old 06-12-2006 | 09:06 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
i found some information (posted below) on oregon tint laws, but i don't know the first thing about deciding where to get tinting done. anyone in the portland, oregon area know of a good tinting place? and what type of tint would be best for the pacific NW?

Oregon Tint Law Enacted: 1995
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN OREGON?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Oregon, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield - Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows - Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side Windows - Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window - Must allow more than 35% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN OREGON?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.
Front Side Windows - Must not be more than 13% reflective.
Back Side Windows - Must not be more than 13% reflective.

OTHER OREGON RULES AND REGULATIONS
Restricted Colors - The tint color(s) of RED GREEN AMBER are not legal by state law.
Side Mirrors - Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements - Manufacturers of film need to certify the film they sell in the state. Ask your dealer if they are using ceritified film.
Sticker Requirements - No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption - State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.
Try these guys. I left Portland for Miami about 5 years ago but had my car done by Le Car. 35% Llumar if I remember right. The guy did a great job, micro-edging and life time waranty. 6 years later and it looks like it was done last week. I paid $160 back then. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2006 | 09:07 PM
7th Gear

Might help if I give you their number.

Le Car
(503) 251-8228
418 Se 89th Ave
Portland, OR 97216

Cross Street:Between SE Stark St and SE Pine St
Old 06-13-2006 | 02:09 PM
Por Favor?

try Alexia Tint on Canyon Road in Beaverton. They did awsome work on my old MR2 Turbo. I forget how much, but it was right in there with these other quotes.
Old 06-13-2006 | 07:11 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks for your suggestions guys. if there are more out there, keep em coming.
Old 06-13-2006 | 11:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
try Alexia Tint on Canyon Road in Beaverton. They did awsome work on my old MR2 Turbo. I forget how much, but it was right in there with these other quotes.
$250 without the moleskin. Too high in my opinion
Old 12-30-2006 | 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Twisteds2k
$250 without the moleskin. Too high in my opinion

old thread bump.

anyone out there able to recommend suntek tint? it seems that that's what places around here use.

CJams, any experience with Suntek?
Old 12-30-2006 | 01:12 PM
Advanced

I have suntek 35% all around installed at Tommy's for $175, no problems. My previous cars all had suntek with no problems at all. Tommy's is one of the best shops in town.
Old 12-30-2006 | 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by evenq
I have suntek 35% all around installed at Tommy's for $175, no problems. My previous cars all had suntek with no problems at all. Tommy's is one of the best shops in town.

does tommy's install moleskin or felt? if so, is it extra, or do they even have the option?

maybe i should just call them if you're not sure of those answers. thanks for the tip
Old 12-30-2006 | 02:18 PM
Advanced

I don't think they do or even offer the option but I would call. I remember them telling me that they would replace the tint for free if it scratches.
Old 12-30-2006 | 04:04 PM
Safety Car

I think most of tint shops around town started using Suntek to keep the cost down. Doesn't Alexia offers lifetime warranty on tint jobs? Speed Concept may offer the cheapest price though. I've done all of my tinting at Alexia and they'll give you pretty good discount if you say your a returning customer or know the owner. He's name is Stan.